Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur’s Gate 3 – Meeting Expectations

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBaldur’s Gate 3 – Meeting Expectations

At E# last week we spoke with Sven Vincke the founder of Larian Studios. He was joined by D&D’s own Michael Mearls to talk about the incoming RPG bomb that is Baldur’s Gate 3. This title originally launched Bioware into the top RPG game studios status in the 1990s. Now here we are going into a new decade with a new generation of D&D fans and the third installment of the series is being built by a studio with a proven track record in the Divinity series. In truth, there could not be a better set up for this game, however, let’s see what the guys had to say at E3.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Urge to play rising!
    Khorrax
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I've actually restarted Baldur's Gate 2 because of this announcement. Never finished it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Every time i see the founder of Larian Studio's i think of Sting, Im waiting for him to break out his bass guitar and start singing .

SBFord[Deleted User]Dagon13infomatz
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33

Sovrath said:

I've actually restarted Baldur's Gate 2 because of this announcement. Never finished it.

Same here for Throne of Baal - definetely gonna complete it ASAP
    Sovrath
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    What version of D&D are they using?

"Sven made a point to talk about the fact that a ton of content in being built into the game outside of combat as well. There are a lot of new elements coming to this installment which impact the RPG beyond just a fight. Their main goal is to translate all the styles from the Player's Handbook and really flush them out within Baldur’s Gate 3."

Styles? Which player handbook? Also, earlier in the blurb, - why mention something so common as dexterity checks? Wouldn't it be just safe to assume stat checks are in, same with saves, etc?

Interviews like this are starting to worry me. I learn less and question more the more I hear. I certainly don't trust WotC, and I am not sure this won't turn out to be the next Sword Coast Legends.
    Asm0deusPhixion13
  • TheBlackWolfTheBlackWolf Member UncommonPosts: 48

blamo2000 said:

What version of D&D are they using?

"Sven made a point to talk about the fact that a ton of content in being built into the game outside of combat as well. There are a lot of new elements coming to this installment which impact the RPG beyond just a fight. Their main goal is to translate all the styles from the Player's Handbook and really flush them out within Baldur’s Gate 3."

Styles? Which player handbook? Also, earlier in the blurb, - why mention something so common as dexterity checks? Wouldn't it be just safe to assume stat checks are in, same with saves, etc?

Interviews like this are starting to worry me. I learn less and question more the more I hear. I certainly don't trust WotC, and I am not sure this won't turn out to be the next Sword Coast Legends.

They're using the 5th edition rules, naturally.
    Phixion13
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    I think that by "style" they mean subclass. For example, in the PH, there are three types of Paladin that you can branch into. BG 3 will be covering all of the ones in the PH, at the least, as far as I can tell.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Looking forward to this.  Wasn't a fan of 4e so hope 5e is closer to the 3.5 that I did like. 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Updated news:

Baldur’s Gate 3 is hiringInterior decorator. Must say no to yellow couches and curtains.
    infomatz

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Torval said:
    Amathe said:
    Updated news:

Baldur’s Gate 3 is hiringInterior decorator. Must say no to yellow couches and curtains.
    Did you miss the unmade bed and 2 conference kiosk banners to the left? My guess this is a hotel room.
    Then I would amend to state: Baldur’s Gate 3 is hiring. Travel Agent.

[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Tuor7 said:

I think that by "style" they mean subclass. For example, in the PH, there are three types of Paladin that you can branch into. BG 3 will be covering all of the ones in the PH, at the least, as far as I can tell.

They aren't called styles in the PH (I think they're called subclasses). What is called styles is fighting styles, like great weapon fighting, etc. There are some subclasses that focus in specific fighting styles, but in general this is not true.

I own the 5e core books but haven't really looked through them since release, but I am pretty sure of the information I stated. Hopefully this ends up being actual 5e and not a completely made up and not at all related system touted as an official edition like Sword Coast Legends did.
    MendelDagon13TacticalZombeh
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

blamo2000 said:

Tuor7 said:

They aren't called styles in the PH (I think they're called subclasses). What is called styles is fighting styles, like great weapon fighting, etc. There are some subclasses that focus in specific fighting styles, but in general this is not true.

I own the 5e core books but haven't really looked through them since release, but I am pretty sure of the information I stated. Hopefully this ends up being actual 5e and not a completely made up and not at all related system touted as an official edition like Sword Coast Legends did.

Subclass is never used in the manuals. What you are thinking off have different name based on the class (paths, archetypes, domains, schools, etc).

Sven isn't a natural English speaker, some things might be lost in his "mind" translation and this isn't a Q&A preview so the author reorganized the information he gathered as well. Considering the rest of the paragraph, I took the "styles" to just mean adapt the PHB with the backgrounds, flaws, ideals, inspiration, etc and not just the classes, dice checks and combat mechanics.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Gorwe said:

They have quite some expectations to fill. Not only emotionally, but factually as well. BG2 just had very good antagonists - to the level you begin empathizing with Jonleth. Mellisa(...Throne of Bhaal) wasn't as good(derp, barely anything is), but was still memorable.

I'm both extra wary and curious to see how they plan to bridge that most crucial element. And if they try overusing the Weave and such, tsk, won't work. NWN 2 Mask already did that and did it perfectly(and memorably).

And I'd personally be quite upset by the lack of Chris Avellone. Just compare DOS 1 and DOS 2. Night and day, really huge difference in storytelling quality.

Same verse, different story I believe. Its over a hundred years since BG2.
    azarhal said:

Subclass is never used in the manuals. What you are thinking off have different name based on the class (paths, archetypes, domains, schools, etc).

Sven isn't a natural English speaker, some things might be lost in his "mind" translation and this isn't a Q&A preview so the author reorganized the information he gathered as well. Considering the rest of the paragraph, I took the "styles" to just mean adapt the PHB with the backgrounds, flaws, ideals, inspiration, etc and not just the classes, dice checks and combat mechanics.
    Then what will they call fighting styles?  And wouldn't consolidating multiple choices and systems into one shoehorned mode-up style be making up their own edition?  My exact worry and what specifically happened with SCL?

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope it is an accurate implementation.  But neither you nor I have the information at the moment to say either way.  All I can say is I am worried.  Its been well over a decade since WotC has done anything noteworthy D&D-wise, besides promote their pseudo-D&D made up system games like Neverwinter Online and SCL.  Hopefully WotC doesn't have much say in BG3's development as they seem hell bent on ensuring no game they sign off on remotely resembles any edition of D&D and driving their IP into the ground.  
  • chrisapete123chrisapete123 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    If it’s turn base worst type of rpg of all time. Please don’t make it turn base.. turn base the worst of all time.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    blamo2000 said:
    azarhal said:

Then what will they call fighting styles?  And wouldn't consolidating multiple choices and systems into one shoehorned mode-up style be making up their own edition?  My exact worry and what specifically happened with SCL?

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope it is an accurate implementation.  But neither you nor I have the information at the moment to say either way.  All I can say is I am worried.  Its been well over a decade since WotC has done anything noteworthy D&D-wise, besides promote their pseudo-D&D made up system games like Neverwinter Online and SCL.  Hopefully WotC doesn't have much say in BG3's development as they seem hell bent on ensuring no game they sign off on remotely resembles any edition of D&D and driving their IP into the ground.  
    You are saying that the term "styles" in the article means "fighting styles" instead of "subclass" as proposed by another poster.  I'm saying it's neither of these things, the paragraph where the term is used is highlighting that Larian is implementing elements of the PHB that aren't combat related.
  • truewarlordtruewarlord Member UncommonPosts: 78
    In D&D 5e each class has many "paths" to follow. The name of these "paths" differ from class to class, like Clerics chose different "Domains" that will change the game style a lot. Druids chose "Circles" and they're very different from each other.

IMO when Sven said "style" that is what he's talking about, but one can only guess...

As long as I'm able to play with my full Druid party and use "Conjure Animals" spell I'm happy. Jumanji ftw!
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Orginal sin 2 was the only gamę Ive every preordered and I loved IT. But right now Im playing Pathfinder Kingmaker and the gamę trully feels like a successor to BG. Why? Mosty b/c od the ruleset. I actually feel like Kingmaker is the best RPG in a decade even with Bugs.
    What Im mostly afraid? Larian already said im one of the interviews that they wont translate combat 1 to 1 b/c its not a good idea just like BG wasnt a one to one translation of ADnD. Sadly im afraid BG3 will be simplified RPG system for the masses just with the ability to finish quests in 3 different ways.
    [Deleted User]Relampago
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I cant wait to playthis game...Finished 1&2 plus all the DLC.....Very excited for it...
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

QSatu said:

Orginal sin 2 was the only gamę Ive every preordered and I loved IT. But right now Im playing Pathfinder Kingmaker and the gamę trully feels like a successor to BG. Why? Mosty b/c od the ruleset. I actually feel like Kingmaker is the best RPG in a decade even with Bugs.
    What Im mostly afraid? Larian already said im one of the interviews that they wont translate combat 1 to 1 b/c its not a good idea just like BG wasnt a one to one translation of ADnD. Sadly im afraid BG3 will be simplified RPG system for the masses just with the ability to finish quests in 3 different ways.

Agreed that Pathfinder Kingmaker was the closest thing to playing BG again, having said that still very much looking forward to playing this. I believe it will be enjoyable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    2.5 Edition was the best obviously. If you're not calculating THACO you're not playing D&D.

What made it such a great game was all the math!

Remove that and it's just fondling dice.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Margrave said:
    2.5 Edition was the best obviously. If you're not calculating THACO you're not playing D&D.

What made it such a great game was all the math!

Remove that and it's just fondling dice.
    lol "ew."

I always removed as much "math" as possible as it slowed down the story and action.

It's like people wanting to be adventurers but in reality they just to look at a graph of adventuring.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo