Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ungood said:

Oh spare me.. people playing "Evil" is just a thinly veiled excuse to be a raging asshole, and everyone knows this.
    But that would mean we can't have good and evil - just good and asshole. 
    SovrathSlapshot1188AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Ungood said:

So here is your goal.. sell me why this convoluted PvP with features that stop PvP is a good idea.

We wouldn't sell "you" on it because it's not your thing. You don't like it. You don't get it. If you valued it then that would be apparent.

Why would anyone try to sell someone on something they are adamantly against in the first place?

It's much easier to sell a gam to "the actual audience who is looking for that game!"

Seems pretty cut and dried.

I like battlegrounds. Truly. But there is more of a sense of world of politics and of banding together to fight those who would destroy you.

If you don't "get" the last one then there is no reason to press further.
    Slapshot1188KyleranScorchienbcbullyGdemamiAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I laugh as their digital dust scatters across the pixel world.
    Cryomatrix
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

So here is your goal.. sell me why this convoluted PvP with features that stop PvP is a good idea.

We wouldn't sell "you" on it because it's not your thing. You don't like it. You don't get it. If you valued it then that would be apparent.

Why would anyone try to sell someone on something they are adamantly against in the first place?

It's much easier to sell a gam to "the actual audience who is looking for that game!"

Seems pretty cut and dried.

I like battlegrounds. Truly. But there is more of a sense of world of politics and of banding together to fight those who would destroy you.

If you don't "get" the last one then there is no reason to press further.

No, I have played Open World Full Loot Perma Death PvP games for years, so, spare me any hyperbolic bullshit about not understanding this type of game play or not "Getting it"

Here is the thing, you have no explained how it adds value to the game, and truth be told, let's be honest here, you can't, because sad sorry tale that none of you want to admit to, is that it really doesn't.

Thank you for your time.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited June 2019
    Ungood said:

No, I have played Open World Full Loot Perma Death PvP games for years, so, spare me any hyperbolic bullshit about not understanding this type of game play or not "Getting it"

Here is the thing, you have no explained how it adds value to the game, and truth be told, let's be honest here, you can't, because sad sorry tale that none of you want to admit to, is that it really doesn't.

Thank you for your time.
    I think everyone has already said how it adds value to the game. I know I did. Why are you ignoring that?

"But there is more of a sense of world of politics and of banding together to fight those who would destroy you." That's the value. Many have said similar.

So you played them for years but you are asking us to sell you on it? You are asking us to convince you? What the heck?

Why would you play such a game for years if you didn't enjoy it? You are telling us that you played them for years but still need to be sold?

Don't play things "for years" if you don't like them. Why would you waste your time?

ConstantineMerusKyleranbcbullyGdemamiAlBQuirky

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you for your time.
    I think everyone has already said how it adds value to the game. I know I did. Why are you ignoring that?

"But there is more of a sense of world of politics and of banding together to fight those who would destroy you." That's the value. Many have said similar.

So you played them for years but you are asking us to sell you on it? You are asking us to convince you? What the heck?

Why would you play such a game for years if you didn't enjoy it? You are telling us that you played them for years but still need to be sold?

Don't play things "for years" if you don't like them. Why would you waste your time?

Lets see.

So far, we have "I want to be an asshole and kill people" as a reason.

Well.. gosh, I don't know how that could not make the game better for.. well just the raging assholes.

And we have "I love the idea of gang life" where people are forced to join a gang for their own protection where they will commonly be intimidated from within and threatened from without into obedience and loyalty to the gang.

Yah.. again.. thank you for your time.
    KyleranbcbullyGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Amathe said:
    I think words like "kill" and "murder" are more accurately phrased: "mildly inconvenienced and perhaps embarrassed for two to five minutes." 
    Hmm, not sure I agree, imagine mining 4B ISK of ore for 3 weeks, and due to a gross tactical error you find yourself deep in "safer space" floating in your pod two hops from the market hub watching gankers make off with the full cargo.

Mildly inconvenienced? Not hardly.

:#

ConstantineMerusAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you for your time.

Lets see.

Well.. gosh, I don't know how that could not make the game better for.. well just the raging assholes.

And we have "I love the idea of gang life" where people are forced to join a gang for their own protection where they will commonly be intimidated from within and threatened from without into obedience and loyalty to the gang.

And we have people who like the idea of clan/guild/alliance pride, taking over areas and fighting for those areas.

Not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of gang life. The problem with your post is that's all you see. You're literally taking your dislike of this type of pvp and perhaps the bad experiences you've had and saying everyone is like this.

If I did this I'd never play a pve title again as I've run across a TON of assholes on the pve side. A ton. And not much one could do about it.

The thing is, there are bad people on all sides. That's life. It doesn't change the idea that open pvp/ffa pvp has its place just like battlegrounds have their place.

ScorchienAlBQuirky

edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you for your time.

Lets see.

And we have people who like the idea of clan/guild/alliance pride, taking over areas and fighting for those areas.

Not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of gang life. The problem with your post is that's all you see. You're literally taking your dislike of this type of pvp and perhaps the bad experiences you've had and saying everyone is like this.

If I did this I'd never play a pve title again as I've run across a TON of assholes on the pve side. A ton. And not much one could do about it.

The thing is, there are bad people on all sides. That's life. It doesn't change the idea that open pvp/ffa pvp has its place just like battlegrounds have their place.

You're right, not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of a gang, but if you play an Open World PvP game, you will inevitably end up being both, as you simply cannot thrive otherwise. This is something I have learned over years of playing these games.

No matter what rules or whatever are put in the game to protect softassed players, there will come times when you just have to be a total fucking asshole to someone, you will have to not only kill them but spawn camp them, and kill everyone and anyone that comes to help them, and you will have to do this because you know the kind of shit person they are and you simply cannot be the "better man" as they lack the mental capacity and social maturity to understand that kind of response. You end up needing to grind them under your heel, show them you are not to be fucked with, and only then, will they get the message, you are not "soft" or "weak" because you showed kindness, only then will these bottom scum understand that you opted to be nice, because you are a total psycho badass, who can afford to be nice from time to time. You may not want to be an a total raging psycho asshole, but it is simply a matter of time before you run across someone that will force you to respond to them in that manner, that is just the nature of these games, and we all know it.

You are also right, that not everyone wants to be in a gang, but if you are playing an Open World PvP you will end up in one if you plan to thrive at all. You want to get someone to lay off you, your gonna need your fellow thugs to back you up, because their bravery is brought on by the power of their gang, just the way it is. You want to just go hunt some snowbeasts, and harvest plets to craft, you getter have your gang colors on, or some other gang-bangers are gonna make you their bitch. That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

You can pull that "Oh people fart glitter and rainbows in these games" to someone who has not played them.. But like I said.. I played these games for years.. I know how they really work.

Edit: But I digress.. we have talked about this beyond it's value.
    Gdemami

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you for your time.

Lets see.

You're right, not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of a gang, but if you play an Open World PvP game, you will inevitably end up being both, as you simply cannot thrive otherwise. This is something I have learned over years of playing these games.

No matter what rules or whatever are put in the game to protect softassed players, there will come times when you just have to be a total fucking asshole to someone, you will have to not only kill them but spawn camp them, and kill everyone and anyone that comes to help them, and you will have to do this because you know the kind of shit person they are and you simply cannot be the "better man" as they lack the mental capacity and social maturity to understand that kind of response. You end up needing to grind them under your heel, show them you are not to be fucked with, and only then, will they get the message, you are not "soft" or "weak" because you showed kindness, only then will these bottom scum understand that you opted to be nice, because you are a total psycho badass, who can afford to be nice from time to time. You may not want to be an a total raging psycho asshole, but it is simply a matter of time before you run across someone that will force you to respond to them in that manner, that is just the nature of these games, and we all know it.

You are also right, that not everyone wants to be in a gang, but if you are playing an Open World PvP you will end up in one if you plan to thrive at all. You want to get someone to lay off you, your gonna need your fellow thugs to back you up, because their bravery is brought on by the power of their gang, just the way it is. You want to just go hunt some snowbeasts, and harvest plets to craft, you getter have your gang colors on, or some other gang-bangers are gonna make you their bitch. That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

You can pull that "Oh people fart glitter and rainbows in these games" to someone who has not played them.. But like I said.. I played these games for years.. I know how they really work.

Dude what full loot ffa PvP permadeth game we’re playing that made you feel this way? I don’t know of any at all, and if I did I wouldn’t play. It sounds terrible. I have to run in a gang and be an ass?

Nah no thanks. I’m a solo chaotic neutral type.
    ConstantineMerus
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Ungood said:

etc

That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

I just think you are taking your experiences and making them out to be more than they actually are.

No, not everyone becomes an asshole. I played Lineage 2 for over 6 years and I ran into more "good people" than assholes. Additionally, you don't have to "become an asshole." fighting back doesn't equate "becoming an asshole,."

So yes you played these games for years (for some f'ing reason?!?!?!??) and you took your experiences, blew them out of proportion and made it so that the entire thing is a cesspool.

What usually happens is that there is a small group of vocal "assholes" and they make it seem like everyone is. But that just isn't the case.

why should a company make a game like this? Probably because they believe in this type of game play. Given that we aren't going to have many mmorpg's coming down the pike I think we are at the end of "these types of games" other than a few survival games.
    Scorchien

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    after murdering players in diablo 2 hardcore like 20 years ago, where they actually were consequences, I do feel bad. 

I guess that's the closest thing to murder in a video game. The character is gone for good. :)

I win the asshole award. 
    Vermillion_Raventhal
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you for your time.

Lets see.

Ive been playing UO 21 years and this is completely wrong
    SovrathGdemami
  • AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    back in 1999 i had a character in UO that would make boxes and also set poison traps on those boxes, then id distribute them around my ginger bread house in the middle of the woods or use another character to take them closer to town, in the boxes i would put a few cheap items to make it look like the box contained something, when the box got opened, it blew up or you got dosed with incurable poison, after the person died you were able to dismember there bodies and even cut open their skulls, and you could remove their brains, which had the players name attached to it, i had shelves in my house where i would display all the players brains i had murdered. The best thing about it, the player who made the box got blamed for the murder, not the other player who distributed said boxes around the place, my murderous carpenter character stay locked up securely in my house because he glowed red with all the deaths he had caused, where as my other character who placed the boxes maintained his "Glorious Lord" title, cause littering with deadly traps wasn't against the law  o:)
    Cryomatrix[Deleted User]Vermillion_RaventhalKyleranDrunkWolfimmodium

Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you for your time.

Lets see.

Ive been playing UO 21 years and this is completely wrong
    Unfortunately for you, some of the posters on this very topic already proved you wrong.
    Gdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    In court I would argue that it was always provoked. 
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

etc

That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

I just think you are taking your experiences and making them out to be more than they actually are.

No, not everyone becomes an asshole. I played Lineage 2 for over 6 years and I ran into more "good people" than assholes. Additionally, you don't have to "become an asshole." fighting back doesn't equate "becoming an asshole,."

So yes you played these games for years (for some f'ing reason?!?!?!??) and you took your experiences, blew them out of proportion and made it so that the entire thing is a cesspool.

What usually happens is that there is a small group of vocal "assholes" and they make it seem like everyone is. But that just isn't the case.

why should a company make a game like this? Probably because they believe in this type of game play. Given that we aren't going to have many mmorpg's coming down the pike I think we are at the end of "these types of games" other than a few survival games.
    Not at all, let's use Slapshots Example with his little rabbit pen thing where he would kill people after locking them in the pen.

I never joined UO, but if I had, and he had done something like that to me (or one of my bothers), I would have hit up my gang on messenger, they would shown up and brutally killed him on the spot, told him not to F-with our members, and not sure how death works in UO, but they would get my body and all my loot back (mainly from Slaps dead body). Depending on what kind of dick he was, we might spawn camp/KOS him for a while till he got the message loud and clear we didn't like that.

Honestly, if you do not think we were both huge assholes for being that way, that only just how depraved people become playing those kinds of PvP games.

Again.. I think we have over talked this discussion.
    IselinbcbullyGdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

etc

Not at all, let's use Slapshots Example with his little rabbit pen thing where he would kill people after locking them in the pen.

I never joined UO, but if I had, and he had done something like that to me (or one of my bothers), I would have hit up my gang on messenger, they would shown up and brutally killed him on the spot, told him not to F-with our members, and not sure how death works in UO, but they would get my body and all my loot back (mainly from Slaps dead body). Depending on what kind of dick he was, we might spawn camp/KOS him for a while till he got the message loud and clear we didn't like that.

Honestly, if you do not think we were both huge assholes for being that way, that only just how depraved people become playing those kinds of PvP games.

The irony is that the real life equivalent of what you say you and your buddies would do is just as much a murder as Slappy's murderous prank. It's only in the mind of gamers (or Chrles Bronson / Liam Neeson movie fans) that revenge murders have the higher moral ground.

It's why I found the word "unprovoked" in the OP humorous.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

bcbully said:
    Dude what full loot ffa PvP permadeth game we’re playing that made you feel this way? I don’t know of any at all, and if I did I wouldn’t play. It sounds terrible. I have to run in a gang and be an ass?

Have you taken the time to realize that you are saying this on a topic where people are bragging about what kind of assholes they were in PvP games? 

I mean of all the places I would try to make a stand saying "Hey we are not all jerks and assholes, we are all really nice people" this topic would not be it. 

Just saying.
    Gdemami

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2019
    Ungood said:
    bcbully said:

Have you taken the time to realize that you are saying this on a topic where people are bragging about what kind of assholes they were in PvP games? 

I mean of all the places I would try to make a stand saying "Hey we are not all jerks and assholes, we are all really nice people" this topic would not be it. 

Just saying.
    Yeah ok, but do you mind telling me, hell and everyone else what “full loot, ffa, pvp, permadeath” game you were talking about that you played?

think of it as a public service announcement.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    Ungood said:
    bcbully said:

Just saying.
    Yeah ok, but do you mind telling me, hell and everyone else what “full loot, ffa, pvp, permadeath” game you were talking about that you played?

think of it as a public service announcement.
    Not sure why you would care, but one of the most well known games I played was GemStone IV, maybe you have heard of it, but gonna bet not, and I highly doubt that bit of info will help you, as it was a MUD from back in the AOL era, late 80's. I suppose it would be considered a predecessor to modern MMO's, but really with several thousand players online concurrently back then, it was for all intents and purposes an MMO.

Is your life better for knowing this?
    Gdemami

• AbhorerAbhorer Member UncommonPosts: 34
    yes, I have done it in the good old times of Ultima Online, and in EVE. But in the meantime I was conquered by the factional warfare and I enjoyed more that mechanic than murder. It has a sense that just murdering hasn't. But always that the game has the option to open PvP I do it, although I prefer RvR and so.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

etc

The irony is that the real life equivalent of what you say you and your buddies would do is just as much a murder as Slappy's murderous prank. It's only in the mind of gamers (or Chrles Bronson / Liam Neeson movie fans) that revenge murders have the higher moral ground.

It's why I found the word "unprovoked" in the OP humorous.
    Hmm, I am a huge Liam Neeson, Charles Bronson and John Wick fan, don't fk with my cats.

;)
    UngoodIselinAlBQuirkyVermillion_Raventhal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Sovrath said:

Because I was a nerdy teenager that was picked on at school, so I would log into these MUD full of angst, rage and hate about my life, and being able to an abusive giant douchebag in game was charthic as fuck?
    Gdemami