Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New D&SS Demo GIFs shared on COE site

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited June 2019 in Chronicles of Elyria
So Caspian posted a couple of D&SS Demo GIFs on Discord which Snipehunter reshared  on their forums.

Clearly flagged as a WIP, but it does appear they are getting close. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31664/dss-update-demos

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

bcbullytweedledumb99Galadourn

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2019
    Good to hear. Pretty damn cool. If they pull this off and continue to pull off new creative systems like this. I might start to get excited.
    Kylerantweedledumb99[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Classic Caspien:

Caspian ☁Today at 12:15 AM

@Vinny It has not been delayed indefinitely. We have just refrained from giving any further dates until development on D&SS is complete, tested, polished, and we're ready to announce the new date. 
    bcbullytweedledumb99[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Classic Caspien:

@Vinny It has not been delayed indefinitely. We have just refrained from giving any further dates until development on D&SS is complete, tested, polished, and we're ready to announce the new date. 
    Nah man, if you can't see the difference here that's on you.

"We're stopping work on ____ part of the project with no internal idea of when that work gets completed" is NOT the same as "we're no longer publishing estimated deadlines."

If you can't see the difference here, again, that's on you.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    They've upgraded from just text and art pictures to animated gifs now. Progress!
    Slapshot1188GaladournPhryIselinSpottyGekko
    edited June 2019
    Classic Caspien:

"We're stopping work on ____ part of the project with no internal idea of when that work gets completed" is NOT the same as "we're no longer publishing estimated deadlines."

Sure.  Indefinite: not clearly expressed or defined; vague.

But, you believe THEY know, just won't tell anyone. Sounds like something Gandalf would say about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25q9_q3ILow

PS: Your Strawman, made up quote is kind of... silly.

Here I will give you a better analogy:

My plane is delayed.  Airline says for 30 minutes. 
    30 Minutes passes and they say it's now delayed an hour.
    An hour passes and they say it's now 2 hours.
    When 2 hours comes they stop giving new ETAs.
    I tweat out that my flight is indefinitely delayed
    They respond saying:  It's not indefinitely delayed.  We are just not giving an ETA until the maintenance is 100% complete.

Thanks.

Gdemami[Deleted User]Phrymcd6993

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So much negativity energy around here at times. Find something positive, make the world a better place.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Facts are neither positive or negative.  They just are.

I think the maps are interesting.  Do not know if they are a positive or negative yet.  As discussed by OldGuy in anotehr thread... do we NEED such detail?  We shall see.   What we do know is that this has consumed a huge chunk of development resources for weeks and months.  Is it worth it?  I suspect we will only find out when people actually get into the game.

Gdemami

edited June 2019
    Classic Caspien:

But, you believe THEY know, just won't tell anyone. Sounds like something Gandalf would say about it:

They respond saying:  It's not indefinitely delayed.  We are just not giving an ETA until the maintenance is 100% complete.

Thanks.

Indefinitely delayed in any usage I've seen about a large project with an end-product means work has stopped, so, not a strawman. Nice try.

You know for a fact that work on CoE has stopped?

Unless you do, then it's not an indefinitely delayed project in my books; just a project where they're just not publishing milestones (which isn't great).

Here's an example of relevant usage, "indefinitely delayed" (in the title of the article) for a big project with an end-product. First one I found typing "indefinitely delayed" into google and skipping past the nonsense results: https://www.neowin.net/news/huawei-has-reportedly-indefinitely-delayed-the-reveal-of-its-newest-laptop/

Here's the first few paragraphs.

"Huawei has reportedly decided to cancel the planned announcement of a new Windows laptop at the CES Asia 2019 trade show this week. The move seems to be the result of the company's ongoing legal troubles with the United States.

The news is not entirely surprising, as Huawei's PC business has been far less capable in adapting to US aggression compared to the smartphone wing. The company is already cancelling production orders and has started halting development on new products."

***In case you think I'm avoiding contradictory google results by skipping past nonsense results, here's links to 5 of the other top 6 results from google:

3. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-cancer-treatment-delay-radiation-sirt-bristol-life-saving-a8896181.html (this usage is about a single cancer treatment intervention for a single patient, so not really comparable in the sense of being a large project like a game)

Edit: someone used indefinitely delayed in a post about plane flights, but I think a big project like a Huawei phone is a better comparison of usage than a plane flight which is not a project with a product, but a discrete activity that takes a few hours and can be relatively easily replaced in short time.

bcbully
    edited June 2019
    Classic Caspien:

Thanks.

Indefinitely delayed in any usage I've seen about a large project with an end-product means work has stopped, so, not a strawman. Nice try.

Unless you do, then it's not an indefinitely delayed project in my books; just a project where they're just not publishing milestones (which isn't great).

Here's an example of relevant usage, "indefinitely delayed" (in the title of the article) for a big project with an end-product. First one I found typing "indefinitely delayed" into google and skipping past the nonsense results: https://www.neowin.net/news/huawei-has-reportedly-indefinitely-delayed-the-reveal-of-its-newest-laptop/

"Huawei has reportedly decided to cancel the planned announcement of a new Windows laptop at the CES Asia 2019 trade show this week. The move seems to be the result of the company's ongoing legal troubles with the United States.

The news is not entirely surprising, as Huawei's PC business has been far less capable in adapting to US aggression compared to the smartphone wing. The company is already cancelling production orders and has started halting development on new products."

***In case you think I'm avoiding contradictory google results by skipping past nonsense results, here's links to 5 of the other top 6 results from google:

3. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-cancer-treatment-delay-radiation-sirt-bristol-life-saving-a8896181.html (this usage is about a single cancer treatment intervention for a single patient, so not really comparable in the sense of being a large project like a game)

Edit: someone used indefinitely delayed in a post about plane flights, but I think a big project like a Huawei phone is a better comparison of usage than a plane flight which is not a project with a product, but a discrete activity that takes a few hours and can be relatively easily replaced in short time.

You post is nonsense. Can’t rationally argue with someone that continues to make up Strawman arguments. Nobody is claiming that “work on CoE has stopped”

What has been said, and what is 100% true.. is that the RELEASE OF DS&S HAS BEEN INDEFINITELY DELAYED.

It is delayed- see the post announcing the delay
    The delay has an indefinite duration- see the same post which said they will not give an ETA until it’s done.

Please do not respond back with another irrelevant strawman post.  You won’t get a response.

Back to the OP... seems like Caspien is inferring now that they have to go work on the settlements etc...

I think Caspien will find that building by algorithms is going to have some strange results and a lot of dull ones.  But as I said, once players get in... we will see!   
    Gdemamitweedledumb99bcbullyPhry

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Another indefinite delay?  That's a sign that work is being done on non-critical paths, or the effort required for a specific task was grossly underestimated.  A developer said, 'We can do that, 3 days, tops', and this was taken as a truth by the project estimator.  Problem is, no programmer ever undersells their abilities, never has, never will.  Maybe there were money issues that interfered with the production, or maybe critical staff members left.  It is also quite possible the delay is a result of a combination of several factors, some of which we can't even guess at.

Of course, this also sounds like someone's Gantt charts weren't all that accurate in the first place.

Slapshot1188GdemamiSpottyGekko

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited June 2019
    The problem in this case is that the programmer and project estimator are one in the same.  

But at at this point nothing can be done to change the delays that have happened.  At this point it’s really just a matter of if all the time and resources were worth the investment.   Probably won’t know until people get in game.
    Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019

Back to the OP... seems like Caspien is inferring now that they have to go work on the settlements etc...

I think Caspien will find that building by algorithms is going to have some strange results and a lot of dull ones.  But as I said, once players get in... we will see!   
    I'm sure that's true,  Snipehunter has already shared several posts on how the algorithms generated unexpected, strange or undesirable results.

They've been making corrections manually or even regenerating map portions after adjusting the algos.

As to whether they are dull or not I can only use No Mans Sky as a recent reference.

At first the procedural generation seems pretty cool and varied,  but after you play a bit there's these odd feeling of sameness,  which is weird because every MMORPG ever made reuses art and npc assets shamelessly.

Yet for some reason it seems far more so, I'd almost say it's because the computer is too consistent in its placement, I seem to pick up on the uniformity, conformity, or something I just can't quit put my finger on.

Whatever it is, in single player games going back to one of the earliest Elder Scolls titles, Daggerfall I think which had procedurally generated dungeons I've felt the mechanic to be a bit off putting.

Now both games I mentioned only generate the world on a temporary basis which also disturbs me but this will be permanent so perhaps it will be more palatable.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Classic Caspien:

Thanks.

You post is nonsense. Can’t rationally argue with someone that continues to make up Strawman arguments. Nobody is claiming that “work on CoE has stopped”

What has been said, and what is 100% true.. is that the RELEASE OF DS&S HAS BEEN INDEFINITELY DELAYED.

The delay has an indefinite duration- see the same post which said they will not give an ETA until it’s done.

Please do not respond back with another irrelevant strawman post.  You won’t get a response.

You have a huge boner for hating on CoE, doesn't take a wizard to spot it.

You were trying to conflate "no more deadlines published" with "work has stopped on the game" and it didn't work.

But at least you admit that work hasn't stopped on CoE, so, +5 points for you.
    Gdemamibcbully
    Classic Caspien:

Thanks.

You have a huge boner for hating on CoE, doesn't take a wizard to spot it.

You were trying to conflate "no more deadlines published" with "work has stopped on the game" and it didn't work.

But at least you admit that work hasn't stopped on CoE, so, +5 points for you.
    Utterly wrong.  I said “indefinitely delayed” and I meant indefinitely delayed.  If I think they stop working on it I will say they stopped working on it.  

I mean... when in the entire history of the game have I ever said anything even remotely like that?  I have said they are incompetent at project management (not even debatable), I have said they are wasting precious resources on pie in the sky ideas (Elyria Mud, Vox Elyria, etc...), But I have never inferred they were not working on the game. 

Next time you are confused, just ask me.  I’ll be happy to tell you what I mean so you don’t have to go off on irrelevant tangents again.
    Gdemami

edited June 2019

Kyleran said:

I'm sure that's true,  Snipehunter has already shared several posts on how the algorithms generated unexpected, strange or undesirable results.

They've been making corrections manually or even regenerating map portions after adjusting the algos.

As to whether they are dull or not I can only use No Mans Sky as a recent reference.

At first the procedural generation seems pretty cool and varied,  but after you play a bit there's these odd feeling of sameness,  which is weird because every MMORPG ever made reuses art and npc assets shamelessly.

Yet for some reason it seems far more so, I'd almost say it's because the computer is too consistent in its placement, I seem to pick up on the uniformity, conformity, or something I just can't quit put my finger on.

Whatever it is, in single player games going back to one of the earliest Elder Scolls titles, Daggerfall I think which had procedurally generated dungeons I've felt the mechanic to be a bit off putting.

Now both games I mentioned only generate the world on a temporary basis which also disturbs me but this will be permanent so perhaps it will be more palatable.

Where I think it will hurt them is exactly the reason they went with this method.   The size of the world.  They saw a big world, limited resources and are trying to quickly populate it.  I get that.

I see a huge world with the large likelihood of massive blandness.  If they want to say that you can walk for a half hour and still be in the same county... well.. great... but if that 30 minute walk is through an endless series of featureless fields I think that will be boring as all hell.

To avoid that will take a massive amount of human intervention, which is self-defeating.

But as said earlier, we likely won’t know until people are allowed into the game. Right now we are literally just looking at the skeletons of maps for worlds that obviously do not exist yet as a game. 
    Gdemami

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What am i supposed to be looking at?A cheap map looking graphic with some red highlighting?
    Why should i care or be interested in that at all?
    Game systems
    game mechanics
    combat system/mechanics
    cool foes/mobs/npc's/enemies with cool abilities/effects

Perhaps some new ideas for magic that we haven't seen before,you know something that has us look astonished !!.

Perhaps some cool pet systems/mounts/travel systems ,secret ideas that we discover and again have us thinking...hmm cool.

This map gif is like 0.0000001% on the "it matters"scale.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Wizardry said:
    What am i supposed to be looking at?A cheap map looking graphic with some red highlighting?
    Game systems
    game mechanics
    combat system/mechanics

Perhaps some new ideas for magic that we haven't seen before,you know something that has us look astonished !!.

Perhaps some cool pet systems/mounts/travel systems ,secret ideas that we discover and again have us thinking...hmm cool.

Why do you just go on a rant when it's very obvious you need to know the context of this to understand what it is? lol.

It's obvious you just looked at the GIFs, didn't read ANYTHING on the link and then complained that you don't know what you're looking at. I don't even know why you bother making comments.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    so you can highlight regions.. that's what they showed in a gif.. Can someone tell me why this is important? What are they getting close to? I think I got lost somewhere lol
    so you can highlight regions.. that's what they showed in a gif.. Can someone tell me why this is important? What are they getting close to? I think I got lost somewhere lol
    People that bought their titles get to select the land they own... eventually.   

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    That gif seems mostly pointless and really should have been shown off a month back. Something so simple and people are losing their shit over it. Getting the basically daily updates via discord, which all say "soon". Soon means even less than when blizzard used it. 

For the whole DSS. I think they are putting way too much time into the whole thing. While they are probably going to show way too much detail. Takes away from exploring an unknown land. Also knowing there will be people that are going to download and store the whole thing aswell, gotta meta the whole system a bit more. 

I went from super hyped about it coming, to now concerned they are taking this long to push it out the door. On the positive side, it's nice for anyone that has a bad time slot, they can now just delegate someone else to pick for them. I suppose that may suck for anyone that purchased IP to push their time slot up.
    Gdemami
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Wizardry said:
    Game systems
    game mechanics
    combat system/mechanics

Why do you just go on a rant when it's very obvious you need to know the context of this to understand what it is? lol.

It's obvious you just looked at the GIFs, didn't read ANYTHING on the link and then complained that you don't know what you're looking at. I don't even know why you bother making comments.
    Actually he isn't going on a rant and i agree 100% with him. 3 years after Kickstarter and we see map gifs? Get out of here, where is the actual game? No one cares about some damn map.
    Gdemamibcbully
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Wow a few days away and everyone is arguing..  
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    well, we know that even "demo gameplay" doesn't mean anything when it comes to the actual game, even more so for gifs...
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    What people fail to understand about this project is that SbS has a bunch of "game assets", they have all kinds of code, they have art, they have ideas, concepts, they have all the parts of a successful mmorpg....what people don't realize is this project got out of hand, there is no indication SbS can put all this data together to make an actual game, not with the current team of two dozen people and 6M dollars in cash. There is no chance this mmo ever launches because there is NO game, there is a bunch of ideas and art assets, that is all. How many more years will SbS and Caspian drag this on? Why is there no accountability?
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Just like SC, as long as backers continue to fund the game's development it can go on near forever. 

Remains to be seen if they will prove to be as fanatically loyal as the "Cult of Robert" has been.
    bcbullyGdemami