Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would a Level Squish Make World of Warcraft Better? Blizzard Wants to Know! - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    Do we even know how many original devs since vanilla (if any) are still on the team?

I think everyone in favor of a squish that dont question the actual team do the squish dont realize that all these favorable things of squishes in the past have already been said since the first stat squish at the start of wod. It worked out so well that they had to do a second one plus ilvl squish. Just because a bandaid peels off doesn't mean you put another one on right away if the wound isn't healing. All they're doing is putting a bandaid over a gaping hole.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited June 2019
    Albatroes said:
    Do we even know how many original devs since vanilla (if any) are still on the team?

I think everyone in favor of a squish that dont question the actual team do the squish dont realize that all these favorable things of squishes in the past have already been said since the first stat squish at the start of wod. It worked out so well that they had to do a second one plus ilvl squish. Just because a bandaid peels off doesn't mean you put another one on right away if the wound isn't healing. All they're doing is putting a bandaid over a gaping hole.
    I dunno I feel likes it's the same bandaid they just crossed out 120 and put 60...
    bandaid2
    perfect solution.

Another analogy I would use is duck tape on a garden hose. It doesn't do anything to actually stop the leak but makes you feel better about using the hose.
    Post edited by Nilden on

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I'm not sure what to say about this at all.
    I agree,this is just Blizzard,more worried about the player base than the integrity of their game.
    Further more this is imo typical bull crap because they have already made up their mind.They are going to make change that best owrks for Blizzard,the past year has seen a lotr of turmoil within Blizzard and everything has been pointing at tactics to raise profits but nothing to better their games.

I can only fully relate to hearthstone,my god the decisions or lack of frustrate the crap out of me,i feel like their teams are full of idiots,nobody with half a brain and they contradict their actions a LOT.
    A lot of the original people are gone anyhow,so who knows what they are thinking at every corner of system design.All i know for fact is what we have all seen of late,a business hell bent on money,Activision wants cost cutting and profits,Blizz execs want big salaries and bonuses,nobody wants to actually work on games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

Aeander said:

Scorchien said:

I think a Gnome Squish would be more useful...

FOR THE HORDE!!!

Agreed. I hate the little bastards. Put them all in one blender of cosmic proportions.

You actually hate a race in a game? That's pretty pathetic and childish.
    Aeander
  • dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29
    it's not the amount of levels its the quality of the content and the level of customization. you can have 10 or 1000 levels and make it great and on the flip side you can also have it horrible. Blizzard it seems is still completely out of touch with what its base gamer wants and always has a knee jerk reaction to every pvp gamer's desire.

WoW is and was meant to be the MMORPG version of the Warcraft games. Warcraft is the pvp version, WoW was suppose to be the PvE version with all the lore, dungones, and quest. the customization of each character to do with it what you wanted was a big part of that, having so many abilities you couldn't fit them on the bars made the game great for serious pve players because they could do more than 1 thing. this frightened casual players and angered pvp players... so they nerfed it so its like only 15 powers and you serve only 1 specific role... even that got nerfed as causals complained they didn't have time to look for people to fill roles so they made everything so easy that you no longer needed specific roles just good gear and a full party.

people got bored, things got too lazy, and players moved on.

the lesson here shouldn't be to try and please everyone or listen to players that the game was never meant for. think of the type of game you made WoW to be, then ask players what would make THAT idea a better one instead of destroying it.

a level pinch will make content quicker to reach and gear sooner to wear but it also means less content to do and you end up skipping half the fun of the things mid level because you reach level cap faster. its not a good thing and the focus should be more on what to add in the extra levels to make things a better gaming experience and not a quicker one.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    A stat and level squish would probably be good. They could cut numbers in half, across the board (levels, stats, damage, experience, etc...), and it would make the game look more accessible, despite being exactly the same. Raid encounters would probably need to be further adjusted... but considering every expansion makes everything before obsolete, who cares?
    Ideally MMO's would stop raising level caps so much, and use alternate forms of advancement, instead. EQ is 20 years old, with 22(?) more expansions than WoW, and yet WoW has a higher level cap...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I forgot to mention, did you put all those hours in to get to top level? Well lets dismiss that dedication to the game so new players can hop on for 10 minutes and think they are doing something "meaningful".
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Levelling is at best 'pseudo' content, reducing the levels isn't really the issue i think when it comes to WoW, though i wouldn't be against reducing levels down to about 60 again, instead of focusing more on adding new raids, or making raids more challenging, they need more open world content, very few players are into raiding even after LFR became a thing. Dungeons are fine, add more, but its the open world that needs 'more' and by more i mean like by the bucket load as its perhaps the most neglected part of the game. :/
  • ScifighterScifighter Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Why not leave the level's as they just make it harder to lvl up it still aint hard to hit 120 it would be so unfair to take our lvls away
    Scot
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    How is a level squish relevant at all when they give out free character boosts?

MadFrenchie

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    This is a great idea. They just need to reduce the level cap from 120 to 12. Then they can push this to 15 with the next expansion.  This will get players back to what is really important, the gear grind. Sure, you may be level 12, but what is your gear score?
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Nilden
    Why not leave the level's as they just make it harder to lvl up it still aint hard to hit 120 it would be so unfair to take our lvls away
    Welcome to our forums! :)

Nice point, what MMOs need is to be somewhat harder, not easier than easy mode.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019
    They could be considering creating progression servers, and putting a level squish into them somehow.

Would be sort of a natural extension of the work being done for Classic.

Imagine if they did it selectively, say make it so all raid content was unaffected by levels.

Even if a player was level 120, Ragnaros could still be a challenging fight until players got properly geared and learned all of the "dance moves." (Which could be altered some)

It would give players nearly infinite time to complete all of the raid content. 

One thing which pissed me off back when BC launched is it ended my guilds run on C'thun and we never got to even try making a go at the horsemen.

For many (most?) WOW players there is a lot of unexplored raid content which they never got to see.
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186
  • KonanKonan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    The original WoW was 50 levels so so to me I dont know what the problem with squish would be they would just squish your specs as well
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    This is pretty much why Blizzards only real hope for the future of WoW, is the version from 15 years ago. Retail WoW is dying, its lost first place and is struggling to even remain in the top 5 games for player populations. :/
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I find it funny that only now they found their constant adding xpac system and adding levels unsustainable... there are people who have foresaw this and mentioned this since back in the Burning Crusade expac.

I just don't understand why it is even necessary to add levels just because you are adding new contents - they could've just added new areas and dungeons without adding new levels. There are games that are doing exactly that now and there were games that does that before they WoW came along.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Konan said:
    The original WoW was 50 levels so so to me I dont know what the problem with squish would be they would just squish your specs as well
    I thought Wow launched with 60 levels.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited June 2019

Less squishing more difficulty.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    cheyane said:
    Konan said:
    It did.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Konan said:
    It did.
    I recall distinctly hitting 60 before The Burning Crusade. 
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
    edited June 2019
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Konan said:
    It did.
    I recall distinctly hitting 60 before The Burning Crusade. 
    Don't worry guys he only lost ten, Blizzard are going to lose about one hundred in terms of time taken to level. :)
    Kyleran
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    WoW is becoming like the boat of Theseus.  If they do a level squish (which is advisable actually) they may as well just call it WoW 2.  It is all semantics at this point.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Who cares what damage numbers or level numbers there are? Will it make the game MORE FUN? Work on making game play fun. Nothing else matters. Fun mechanics!

If they made WoW 2.0 it will be just as fun as WoW 1 is currently. Sure, something new adds its own level of intrigue to things, but overall if they use the same game play it won't matter if it's shinier or not, IMO.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• ghostdragon74ghostdragon74 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I started World of Warcraft at the Burning Crusade Expansion, and have witnessed all the new expansion content with its level caps. Personally, I think they should have left the cap at level 70. All this changing of specs that changes dps rotations gets old. I would be happy if they did a rewind back to level 70 and stayed there with the old talent trees. There's too many abilities to put in our hot bars as it is, and some of these need to be passive. Any progression should be based on item level or some king of token that is granted once you progress through raid, world, pvp content, whichever a player prefers. The only thing that needs to be capped is the new content!!! I say more gear, professions, mounts, pets, reward systems, better drop rates, chests, redo all professions so they sync with any game progression. Oh, and we need a new hero class Blizzard...Can you say Barbarian?!? Anyway, that is a few of my current thoughts, I always have ideas.