Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gloomhaven to Launch Early Access on July 17th - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGloomhaven to Launch Early Access on July 17th - MMORPG.com News

Asmodee Digital has announced that Gloomhaven will be launching into early access on July 17th. During a recent livestream, devs showed off gameplay for the multiplayer "tactical, RPG and dungeon crawling" experience based on the board game. Two to four players set out in an unforgiving "world of darkness and trials" that requires strategic thinking to succeed. Gloomhaven will feature the same gameplay as the board game and also include a special roguelike mode at a later date.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If its your type of game, I hope it works out.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Albatroes said:

If its your type of game, I hope it works out.

It is & i think it looks great, I just don't see any loot. A Game like this would have also benefited from being able to customize you own characters like say, Xcom, darkest dungeon or battle Bro's.

Going to add it to wishlist and check it out in July
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited June 2019
    I've been watching this game... i was look forward to it but not now! It looks slow.
    JeffSpicoli

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    Arterius said:
    Since the boardgame is $120 or so I never picked it up been looking forward to the video game version though

It was just on Minature Market for 88$. You have to keep your eyes peeled for deals. It drops under 90 quite often.

For anybody that doesn't know, or is unfamiliar with Gloomhaven, its been holding the #1 spot on Board Game Geeks ranking since its released a couple years ago.

Games amazing, hopefully it doesn't get ruined like the digital version of Terraforming Mars
    3dommazut
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    The Steam page says single player.  Is it going to MP or not and, if so, is it like COOP or PVP?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Already 14 curators have something to say about this game and not even out yet....hmmm

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite game on Steam."

This is what Curators do on Steam,they are bullshitters,mush like the many writers we see here.This Shephard guy says EVERY game is his favorite game.

I wanted to get an outside perspective BEFORE i looked at it.Well with so much bull like the Curators on Steam,i am not taking ANYONE's word for anything,i'll just use my own judgement.
    To me it looks cheap and severely lacking since we already have MANY better options than this.
    So what i gather from this,again another developer using a known IP to try and cash in with a weak effort.
    I feel the still animation looks a little over done,like the characters are waving their arms at air.2 per group is way too shallow,idk perhaps you can add more members over time,still it doesn't look like we need this game,it is not bringing anything new to the genre.

Is there any positive i see in this?Well i have been asking and waiting for a VERY long time.for a card based rpg that utilizes real animations/worlds,this is sadly only a bare minimum start to getting there.If this game plans on selling cards,it will die faster than it began.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    Wizardry said:

Is there any positive i see in this?Well i have been asking and waiting for a VERY long time.for a card based rpg that utilizes real animations/worlds,this is sadly only a bare minimum start to getting there.If this game plans on selling cards,it will die faster than it began.

The board game is a huge Legacy Campaign. It comes with a ton of characters, but at some point you must retire a character and take one of the other yet unused characters. So if they stay true to the board game it will end at somepoint. Though being digital it should surely have a reset option unlike the board game where you're making permanent changes to the map and characters via stickers. 
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Arterius said:

Since the boardgame is $120 or so I never picked it up been looking forward to the video game version though

It was just on Minature Market for 88$. You have to keep your eyes peeled for deals. It drops under 90 quite often.

For anybody that doesn't know, or is unfamiliar with Gloomhaven, its been holding the #1 spot on Board Game Geeks ranking since its released a couple years ago.

Games amazing, hopefully it doesn't get ruined like the digital version of Terraforming Mars

Honestly my favorite boardgame has been and will always be a toss up between chaos in the old world and super dungeon explorers.
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Another game being played by 5 people, great.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I love board games and this game seems right up my alley. The problem is I hate playing games with my wife only because she is slow on the uptake of complex games and i am not sure i'll have the patience to learn the game with her lol.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I love board games and this game seems right up my alley. The problem is I hate playing games with my wife only because she is slow on the uptake of complex games and i am not sure i'll have the patience to learn the game with her lol.

I play it with a friend once a month.  We both just got Table Top Simulator and the entire game is recreated there very well even with automation for setup.  We will likely try a few times online that way (it is sanctioned by the games creator).

I did find it difficult perspective wise to get into on TTS but you might want to give that a shot.  Nothing beats face to face but it takes forever to set up etc.  That is why we considered TTS. . just keep the game always set up :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Hate the age of paid and corrupted influencers just as bad as major media for being liars, need to pass some legislation making it a felony to accept financial compensation for your " honest and fair " opinion.
  • ookibakaookibaka Member UncommonPosts: 38
    For those also looking for this, I picked up my copy of the boardgame during one of Game Stop's pro sales for like $70 even though it didn't fit in the little bag you have to buy.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    The board game really does deserve its (good) reputation.  Each run has a different theme, tied together in a campaign. Also, unusually, you only play a character until they meet a personal goal (at which point they retire); retirements open up new classes. The classes are remarkably creative and different.It's a card-based tactical game.  You start each adventure with a limited hand (choosing from a larger possible deck; as your character levels up you choose which cards to add. Nothing random.) Each round you make 2 plays - a move and attack typically; once you're out of cards you have to rest and choose a card that can't be recovered. Some powerful cards are also one-use.  When you're out of cards you're out of the game (or if you get thwacked.)  Classes can play off one another in interesting ways, and the scenarios  require you to adjust to a wide range of opponents and tactics. I don' know how well these elements would translate online, as one big aspect is the way that the campaign gradually unlocks classes, more powerful things show up in the stores, and your choices open some adventure chains and close others.

kitaradWalkinGlenn
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited June 2019
    Hmm this looks interesting. Going to check it out. Thanks for the thread, otherwise I would have never come across this on my own.

Reminds me of Blackguards  https://store.steampowered.com/app/249650/Blackguards/