Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Astellia Developer Diary: Meet the Mage and the Assassin - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAstellia Developer Diary: Meet the Mage and the Assassin - MMORPG.com

When Astellia launches later this summer, it will come packed with exciting, interesting classes that may seem familiar on the surface, but that come with their own unique “Astellia” touch. In our latest developer diary, we’re going to take a look at the Mage, a wily caster who can bring down a world of elemental pain, and the Assassin, a master of lethal deception.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    Remember to give these guys money so they can make a quality product when it hits early access.
    PuReDusTNanfoodlegastovski1doomexAsch126SarlaGaladournRennd
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Make fun if you want but I am genuinely excited for this game. Old school trinity, tab targeting, with a modern skill system. This game will be what I play while I wait for Pantheon. So many of us have been asking for a game like this and here it is. They even gave the mobs large hp pool so combat is not this modern sneeze on a mob and it dies. Time to use some skills.

Also the skill system looks awesome. Each class has 3 Advanced classes that give you 3 new unique skills each. A large number of your skills can be advanced and changed 7 times in the skill system and each pet in the game gives you a unique skill depending on what pet you have out. So 3 Mages could come to the team and each bring something different.

Its not twitch combat but I am so sick of action twitch combat I have stopped playing any MMO made in the past 8 years. This game does have dodging but its a feature not the main play mechanic like so many MMOs today. Old school MMOers should be down right excited for this one.
    Mikehasarah116SailorMomHatefullCazriel
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019

Nanfoodle said:

Make fun if you want but I am genuinely excited for this game. Old school trinity, tab targeting, with a modern skill system. This game will be what I play while I wait for Pantheon. So many of us have been asking for a game like this and here it is. They even gave the mobs large hp pool so combat is not this modern sneeze on a mob and it dies. Time to use some skills.

Also the skill system looks awesome. Each class has 3 Advanced classes that give you 3 new unique skills each. A large number of your skills can be advanced and changed 7 times in the skill system and each pet in the game gives you a unique skill depending on what pet you have out. So 3 Mages could come to the team and each bring something different.

Its not twitch combat but I am so sick of action twitch combat I have stopped playing any MMO made in the past 8 years. This game does have dodging but its a feature not the main play mechanic like so many MMOs today. Old school MMOers should be down right excited for this one.

What sounds good on paper doesn't always translate into actual practice. People thought Bless Online was going to be the resurgence of the genre (well those that had no real information outside of the marketing being told to them via Neowiz). There's nothing wrong with being excited for something that's actually good, but this title has already been out in the eastern market for a year or so(?), so it just helps to do some actual digging (that's what youtube is for) before throwing your disposable income around (because its going b2p for 'quality purposes'). As I said before Bless Online and Anthem released, even though I feel something is off, I'm always hoping to be wrong.
    doomexSolancer
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Nanfoodle said:

I want to try it for the same reasons as you do. Looking for that old school trinity tab target experience.
    Nanfoodle

Albatroes said:

Nanfoodle said:

What sounds good on paper doesn't always translate into actual practice. People thought Bless Online was going to be the resurgence of the genre (well those that had no real information outside of the marketing being told to them via Neowiz). There's nothing wrong with being excited for something that's actually good, but this title has already been out in the eastern market for a year or so(?), so it just helps to do some actual digging (that's what youtube is for) before throwing your disposable income around (because its going b2p for 'quality purposes'). As I said before Bless Online and Anthem released, even though I feel something is off, I'm always hoping to be wrong.

Ya I have been reading a ton on the KR sites. Watching Twitch streams, talking in chats for the game and also watching Pax Panels. I really think this game is miles above what Bless had to offer. Bless what a mess everywhere in launched. AO has been doing well and has a good balance of system that Bless didnt even have. Bless' combat was so bad and they tried to save it with a backwards combat system. I have been MMOing for 20 years I know how to research a game. Do I think this will be the next WoW or EQ? Nope, but I think it has enough substance to keep me busy while I wait for Pantheon as the core combat and teaming style I like, is in this game.
    Mikeha
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I wanna try it.

But summer launch :O

WoW 8.2, Eso Elsweyr, ffxiv shadowbringers.
    NanfoodleAsch126

Dragnelus said:

I wanna try it.

But summer launch :O

WoW 8.2, Eso Elsweyr, ffxiv shadowbringers.

Ya, cant play them all =) its a good problem. Its still an MMO so its hopefully not going anywhere.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Summer launch when WoW is releasing a big patch and both ESO and FFXIV are releasing expansions.

A game that actually had potential is going to be completely buried.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Asch126 said:

Summer launch when WoW is releasing a big patch and both ESO and FFXIV are releasing expansions.

A game that actually had potential is going to be completely buried.

If you don't care about those games though this is your only new MMO summer option.
    HatefullCazriel
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I have to agree with @DMKano on this one.

Seriously the state of the game now in KR is pretty bad. Game is bare bones. It feels like an Alpha.

Severe lack of content(both PvE and PvP).

Tiered and exponential gear progression which is basically the highlight of the game. 

Dungeons are extremely lackluster and poorly designed, you basically pull all trash mobs and AoE them to oblivion with summoned Savior astels while the dungeon bosses have lame mechanics.

PvP is really unbalanced, its a 1-3 shot affair with no DR to CCs. Healers are useless(the heal skills offered are not tuned for PvP encounters), Crit builds and CC own everything. Of cos gear/astel plays a big part too.

It needs tons of work, for it to be successful here in the west. 

Blacklabelcali
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    edited April 2019

Nanfoodle said:

You might not be so excited when you see it played, go Watch Lazy Peons' play session on YouTube.

In short it looks like it's another Bless Online.
    EponyxDamor
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    My 2 cents, just as long as this game drop PvP and this game will work fine, however, it development is taking extremely longer than I would like which suggest small resource pool to work on. Which explain long delay and lack of contents, or otherwise, could be the next wow. Before everyone forget or not in the early days of the internet, even WoW wasn't the king right out the door. So most interesting mmo games could be as big as WoW.

Most mmo didn't match of even close to wow is due to greediness or just dumbass putting in too many anti-fun practices to stop ppl from enjoying the game which why most of them die in 6 months to 2 years top. Too many publisher just want a game for fast grab and stop supporting the game for any improvement or new contents so most games don't grow. Meanwhile Blizzards just pile and piles up of new contents and grow the game sizes to crazy level when comparing. Soo to no surprise WoW remain mostly interesting through out its early to mid days.

No current mmo can match it in size, scale, lores, and just the amount of contents, the closest is GW2 but GW2 lack in races and classes when compare to WoW it just had more of everything. GW2 have spamming skills while WoW have more versatile skills set and play style within each classes. On the other hand, WoW is in a wired spot they didn't make WoW 2 which I think is a miss opportunity in my view. Probably too scared to lose that magic, but WoW is still getting more and more dated in style. Just like fashion it will fade eventually.

Still I would love to see Astellia making it big, I love pets and magic/being a caster, however, still think better off without PvP in RPGs imo. If Lineage 2 or 3 had no pvp and Blade & Soul or BDO character models oh wow I could see it topping WoW, or at least coming close, who can say but only time will tell.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Nanfoodle said:

Where have you been haven't seen you posting for ages?

Nanfoodle said:

You might not be so excited when you see it played, go Watch Lazy Peons' play session on YouTube.

If you are talking about latency, he was connected to a VPN to a game that has their game servers in another country. Not sure if you know how many handshakes are going on there but using a VPN server in your country to play on a game server in your country will be laggy. Also this MMO has only been out a few months. Most MMOs dont get their feet under them for 6-12 months after a launch. Even the king of MMOs, WoW was a mess for the first 6 months. Handing out so much free game time I didnt pay for almost 2 months.
    Catibrie

Solancer said:

My 2 cents, just as long as this game drop PvP and this game will work fine, however, it development is taking extremely longer than I would like which suggest small resource pool to work on. Which explain long delay and lack of contents, or otherwise, could be the next wow. Before everyone forget or not in the early days of the internet, even WoW wasn't the king right out the door. So most interesting mmo games could be as big as WoW.

Most mmo didn't match of even close to wow is due to greediness or just dumbass putting in too many anti-fun practices to stop ppl from enjoying the game which why most of them die in 6 months to 2 years top. Too many publisher just want a game for fast grab and stop supporting the game for any improvement or new contents so most games don't grow. Meanwhile Blizzards just pile and piles up of new contents and grow the game sizes to crazy level when comparing. Soo to no surprise WoW remain mostly interesting through out its early to mid days.

No current mmo can match it in size, scale, lores, and just the amount of contents, the closest is GW2 but GW2 lack in races and classes when compare to WoW it just had more of everything. GW2 have spamming skills while WoW have more versatile skills set and play style within each classes. On the other hand, WoW is in a wired spot they didn't make WoW 2 which I think is a miss opportunity in my view. Probably too scared to lose that magic, but WoW is still getting more and more dated in style. Just like fashion it will fade eventually.

Still I would love to see Astellia making it big, I love pets and magic/being a caster, however, still think better off without PvP in RPGs imo. If Lineage 2 or 3 had no pvp and Blade & Soul or BDO character models oh wow I could see it topping WoW, or at least coming close, who can say but only time will tell.

Ya when wow launched, I got to 60 along with a whole bunch of people and all we had to do was raid cities of the other factions. We did that for months.
    Catibrie

kitarad said:

Nanfoodle said:

Where have you been haven't seen you posting for ages?

Not back really, just trying to drum up support for this game. So many people love just to post why games suck, thats not me. So I thought I would bring a positive light to this game as to what they are doing and who might like this game. As info comes out I will be updating this forum.
    Catibrie
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Nanfoodle said:

Oof. Was mildly interested in this game until watching this game play. The idea of multiple pet-based companions that effect your performance/game play seemed like a unique idea -- One I hadn't seen since Grenado Espada back in the day. However, after watching this, it just seems like a slightly different Bless Online. The framerate was so bad in that video even with one player-character -- I can't imagine playing with 3-4 other players with a total of 12-16 character on-screen in combat working out well.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sure it looks good enough to keep an eye on it but i have yet to see a single KR rpg do anything well so i wouldn't go waving any banners just yet.
    Besides wasn't this the game that had some lolli girls in it?
    Then when comes to pets and if that is the main selling point,i am way too happy even spoiled with the pet system in Atlas or if you play ARK you will be happier as well.

IMO i haven't seen anyone do the pet system as well as FFXI in mmorpg's and Atlas just has real good and powerful pets.
    in mmorpg's FFXi is like the top 5 stars,Wow/EQ pet system if including the likes of say a Necromancer for example is like 2-3 stars,other games they are like a collection pet or a mount and really nothing very exciting.

FFXI/Atlas/Ark those are the models to strive for,anything less is just .....well less.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Probably will never end up playing it, but I hope it works out well for those that do.
  • xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I dont if anyone noticed but I did right away.. That Wes Conners is Devoire the leader of OutCry back in the day.. He was CM Jourska in BDO and another member of his was a GM in Archeage named Repent.. They have a long bad history.. I don't know how he slithered his way into a producer role.. but be wary of this game because he is a shady shady dude.. He is one hell of a talker and he can make you believe anything..
    Kumapon
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Wizardry said:

Sure it looks good enough to keep an eye on it but i have yet to see a single KR rpg do anything well so i wouldn't go waving any banners just yet.

Besides wasn't this the game that had some lolli girls in it?

Then when comes to pets and if that is the main selling point,i am way too happy even spoiled with the pet system in Atlas or if you play ARK you will be happier as well.

IMO i haven't seen anyone do the pet system as well as FFXI in mmorpg's and Atlas just has real good and powerful pets.

in mmorpg's FFXi is like the top 5 stars,Wow/EQ pet system if including the likes of say a Necromancer for example is like 2-3 stars,other games they are like a collection pet or a mount and really nothing very exciting.

FFXI/Atlas/Ark those are the models to strive for,anything less is just .....well less.

Yeah, BDO is a terrible KR game. But I am looking forward to this for all the reasons Nanfoodle lists. It just takes one well-scratched itch to make a game worthwhile.

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    edited June 2019
    I love setting things on fire. Mage speaks to my inner pyro
    Nanfoodle