Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Qadim’s Key To Eternal Happiness - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGuild Wars 2: Qadim’s Key To Eternal Happiness - MMORPG.com

Seven years is a long time to play a game. The morning of August 25, 2012 was a glorious day as I skipped over the hills of Queensdale as Guild Wars 2 was unleashed on the world. We were ready for the casual MMO that you could drop in and out of whenever you liked and you’d still be able to keep up as the horizontal progression and cosmetic endgame meant that you could drop back in any time you liked. Legendary weapons were the long-term goal and Giganticus Lupicus was the benchmark for high end play and hilarious game-breaking exploits.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NexeusSNexeusS Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited June 2019
    Guild Wars 2 is one of the best MMO nowadays and I think this game deserve more praise even tho 7 years is a lot of time. Now while the games has problems (which game doesn't?), the F2P version of the game is one of the best to offer on the F2P market.

Basically GW2 gives you the option to play as a free to play until you decide whether you like the game or not. Can still do a lot of stuff even as F2P, but to experience the full force of the game you have to have the 2 expansions, and of course both living stories (chapters) which can be acquired via game currency aka gold barter for gems, but then again you have to be really experienced and have knowledge how GW2 economy works. Isn't recommended for new players, and it takes a lot of time and dedication.

Don't be fooled by these youtube guides "how to make fast/easy gold", and stuff like this. Making gold in this game is easy but on one condition; it works only for ppl who has been with the game at least 5-6 months at minimum. Save all your mats, until you have a clear vision about what's what, and how trading post works.

Should you decide to buy Path of Fire expansion, don't hesitate to use your boost to lvl 80, do you first story mission in Parth of Fire (to avoid spoilers interrupt cut scenes) get the mount and roll out. Having mount at low lvls is huge, like really HUGE. You don't skip or miss anything, especially if you aim for map completions. Being able to get in time with your mount on some events really pays off.
    psychosiz1Thupli
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It is a nice feature that mounts and gliding carry over to every character on your account present and future. Starting off with a level 80 while a good idea might be a little over whelming for a persons first experience with the game. If new people do go this way seek out the trains that run players through content in those areas. Or join a guild that specializes in helping new players acquire such things.

Mounts and gliding do make leveling a lot easier in old and new content.
    Thupli

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    I can see how having mounts can make map completions faster, I do not find leveling "hard", I mean running everywhere is time consuming and using waypoints is costly for new players like myself.

Now only if they had a fathersday sales....
    psychosiz1Thupli

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited June 2019
    I disagree slightly ( error 404) with the idea that was only the players fault. Personally I think that the problem was both the players and Arena.

I think that the most funny thing about raids is watching groups being hijacked by players who want to take control of the group for selfishness or for giggles.
  • No.442No.442 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    I still think OSRS is a better waste of time
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Fucking Elitist and their DPS Police meters!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Guild Wars 2 elitists.... Lol
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited June 2019
    i still have dungeons i havent seen yet >< , no1 plays dungeons anymore maybe some group forms for story on the initial dungeons then dies off

Gw2 took the wrong path imho.
    Ungood
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250

bcbully said:

Guild Wars 2 elitists.... Lol

Have you been on raids? You comment suggests that you don't even know where raid portals are.
    psychosiz1kitaradUngoodThupliStoneRoses
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    My group beat the air djinn Friday. He was actually one of the best bosses they've done yet.
    ThupliOctagon7711
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Warlyx said:
    i still have dungeons i havent seen yet >< , no1 plays dungeons anymore maybe some group forms for story on the initial dungeons then dies off

Gw2 took the wrong path imho.
    They really did. They had some great things at the start, the game was made with a very solid and fun first foundation principal. Which I think is pretty much the only thing that has kept them going this long, is how well made their Core game was.

But, then they just seemed to flop around with one failed or bad idea after another, everything from their waste of time with E-Sports, to their Neglect of WvW, to killing Dungeons (which made no sense), to revamping world bosses to just make things harder purely for the sake of making them harder until finally I would say, fully shooting themselves with HoT.

It was like.. they were just trying to see how bad they could screw things up till the game tanked, I would have half hoped it was because maybe they were already thinking of a GW3, and thought that 5 years was a long enough run for the game, and planned to move on to something else. 

That also seemed to be a bad plan for them, as it ended up costing them all their side projects and half their staff.

We shall see what happens.

But in the end, it's Anet's fault for everything and anything that happens in their game, as it is their game, they made the content, they made the decisions on direction. If they chose to listen to a small group of players and made bad decisions from that, again, that was their choice and decision, no one forced them.

Even now, as I walked away from the game because I didn't like their direction, I never forced them to do anything. I asked them to not do what they did with HoT, and after it launched, I tried to explain it was going to end badly. But, I never forced them to do anything. As such, any and every screw up they made, is their choice and their fault alone.
    Octagon7711kitarad
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I love being able to hop into the game anytime and still have exotics work and not be outdated, or be behind the levelcap.

They have dome a great Job with art assets...it is so visually pleasant to play the game...minus particle effects which are atrocious!

Build variety keeps this game stimulating.
    AeanderOctagon7711
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited June 2019
    Aeander said:
    My group beat the air djinn Friday. He was actually one of the best bosses they've done yet.
    Did you buy a bunch of stuff from the store to celebrate how great it was?

Like a Pet? Maybe a Harvesting Tool? Outfit? Dye Pack? Anything?
    Thupli
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited June 2019
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Did you buy a bunch of stuff from the store to celebrate how great it was?

Like a Pet? Maybe a Harvesting Tool? Outfit? Dye Pack? Anything?
    Why be anal about my enjoyment? Fact is, I've spent hundreds of dollars on the game between every collector's edition, cash shop purchases, and buying the expansions for two friends.

I am what game developers might call a dolphin. Not a whale, but a spender nonetheless.

Edit:
    Also, instead of us getting into another debate about the direction of the game that neither of us want, Mr. Ungood, how about I throw you a bone? I firmly believe that Raids should have an easy/story mode for those looking to experience that content first hand. Perhaps that could come with the same boss mechanics but lower health/damage and no enrage timers. I am not the most mechanically talented person myself (far from it, in fact), and I get by because GW2's raid bosses are more about learning mechanics than testing skill/reflexes.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    Thupli
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Aeander said:
    Mr. Ungood, how about I throw you a bone? I firmly believe that Raids should have an easy/story mode for those looking to experience that content first hand. Perhaps that could come with the same boss mechanics but lower health/damage and no enrage timers. I am not the most mechanically talented person myself (far from it, in fact), and
    I disagree. ANet has always loved challenge in their games. Even dungeons at launch were hard. I remember failing CoF path 3 so many times. Hell, even path 1 before they made it for kindergardeners. It was a DPS check and nobody knew how to do optimal DPS build. Not even the devs themselves. 

So even dungeons were hard as fuck, sure they because abysmal with time but only because the players got better. Overwatch has the same problem now. Players have gotten better and it's hard to attract new players because they have a mountain of knowledge to obtain. And it sucks to be a filthy bronze player. Guild wars 2, in the same boat. New players face a learning cliff. The tutorial is meh at all fronts. Locking skill slots behind levels - meh. But that's a moot point given how fast one can level up in Gw2.

I think this is a general problem with continuous development. The game starts good, it's simple enough to make you comfortable, yet it has this endgame content that requires a little extra from you. Then the general playerbase catches up to elitists and the game becomes abysmal at anything but the very endgame content. Developers go into a downward spiral of producing hard endgame content and forget what attracted people to their games in the first place. Every single multiplayer game suffers from this. Every single one. Even misunderstandings like Fortnite battle royale.