Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would a Level Squish Make World of Warcraft Better? Blizzard Wants to Know! - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,120
    They must be desperate.
    ScotTacticalZombeh

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,035
    Vutar said:
    Just kill WoW and make WoW 2. Stop putting resources into a dying/outdated game and instead give us the next blockbuster MMORPG.
    RIght from the start, the biggest mistake I felt WoW made was only having two factions....A thrid neutral faction (Ogres, Goblins, etc) that hated both sides would have been great....The battlegrounds would have been a blast with a third faction.
    Mendel
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    SBFord said:
    imageWould a Level Squish Make World of Warcraft Better? Blizzard Wants to Know! - MMORPG.com

It seems that Blizzard is taking more seriously the notion of a World of Warcraft level squish than had been previously thought. A new survey is making the rounds asking players how they would feel if the company decided to "squish", or reduce, WoW levels from where it currently stands at 120. Each expansion has added more levels to the cap and developers feel that this is not healthy for the game. Ion Hazzikostas recently alluded to a forthcoming squish with the next expansion.

Read the full story here

I wonder if they'll ignore the results of this survey like they do everything else.

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,747
    edited June 14
    SBFord said:
    Would a Level Squish Make World of Warcraft Better? Blizzard Wants to Know! - MMORPG.com

It seems that Blizzard is taking more seriously the notion of a World of Warcraft level squish than had been previously thought. A new survey is making the rounds asking players how they would feel if the company decided to "squish", or reduce, WoW levels from where it currently stands at 120. Each expansion has added more levels to the cap and developers feel that this is not healthy for the game. Ion Hazzikostas recently alluded to a forthcoming squish with the next expansion.

Read the full story here

I wonder if they'll ignore the results of this survey like they do everything else.
    Well, will the results be published? Even if they get the answer no and "accept" it, they could always just make it easier to level or wait a year and ask the same question again.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 518
    edited June 14
    They should just stop increasing levels every expansion and instead add some sort of feature that makes their level perpetual and massively increase the difficulty of the game (ala Diablo III). What WoW definitely does not need is more level-gated content and level cap increases. They need to rethink their game world. I would recommend their next expansion be similar to Cataclysm in that its an entire World revamp, where instead of design/appearance they tweak the content and make it playable in a new way similar to Diablo's difficulty levels.
  • TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 142
    edited June 14
    You should have made it harder to level right from the get go. But if you take the current 120 and reduce it to what... 100 in future expansions, people will feel cheated of their progress. Maybe a good idea is to have a max cap at 100 and then add specializations or something similar. Other paths a player can take that are skill based, not level based. Like in vanilla where you sucked at using a wand but got better depending on how much you used it? Think SWG here. The had professions which you could level up any way you wanted. So a crazy idea would be that you are a master warrior who has some kind of self heal, and when you are tired of playing warrior, you "respec" to stealth druid and start the journey to master again... all skill based.  The respec gives you something (whatever it is) because you reached master warrior/healer but decided to start over.

Spelarkivet's YouTube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Spelarkivet

The Electronic Playground
    http://www.tepg.se

• MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 842
    Just give me classic already!

“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”

― G.K. Chesterton
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,018
    If they can make it work then that's fine. I don't have a problem with levels. My problem with WoW is the focus on end game raiding that turned the leveling experience into very easy mode. I play WoW for the story/lore but I want the open world leveling to be challenging, not a visual novel.

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Nope. Instead they should lower exp gains, get rid of dungeon finder, and remove quest trackers (not your quest log, the marks on map of where to go, the question marks, etc).

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• dralchdralch Member CommonPosts: 10
    They should take it down to 60 but only by doing a event where you are changed or made more powerfull
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 575

Nilden said:

Vutar said:

Just kill WoW and make WoW 2. Stop putting resources into a dying/outdated game and instead give us the next blockbuster MMORPG.

After Blizzcon and the Diablo Immortal fiasco I don't think they have the people there to deliver anything close to the next blockbuster MMORPG.

They are doing the best thing they could do by releasing WoW Classic.

WoW Classic....the WoW killer
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,499
    Irrelevant to me. I'll either be playing Classic or not at all.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,634
    WoW and its ongoing identity crisis.
    Torval
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,485
    edited June 15
    Do we even know how many original devs since vanilla (if any) are still on the team?

I think everyone in favor of a squish that dont question the actual team do the squish dont realize that all these favorable things of squishes in the past have already been said since the first stat squish at the start of wod. It worked out so well that they had to do a second one plus ilvl squish. Just because a bandaid peels off doesn't mean you put another one on right away if the wound isn't healing. All they're doing is putting a bandaid over a gaping hole.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,897
    edited June 15
    Albatroes said:
    Do we even know how many original devs since vanilla (if any) are still on the team?

I think everyone in favor of a squish that dont question the actual team do the squish dont realize that all these favorable things of squishes in the past have already been said since the first stat squish at the start of wod. It worked out so well that they had to do a second one plus ilvl squish. Just because a bandaid peels off doesn't mean you put another one on right away if the wound isn't healing. All they're doing is putting a bandaid over a gaping hole.
    I dunno I feel likes it's the same bandaid they just crossed out 120 and put 60...
    bandaid2
    perfect solution.

Another analogy I would use is duck tape on a garden hose. It doesn't do anything to actually stop the leak but makes you feel better about using the hose.
    Post edited by Nilden on

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,450
    I'm not sure what to say about this at all.
    I agree,this is just Blizzard,more worried about the player base than the integrity of their game.
    Further more this is imo typical bull crap because they have already made up their mind.They are going to make change that best owrks for Blizzard,the past year has seen a lotr of turmoil within Blizzard and everything has been pointing at tactics to raise profits but nothing to better their games.

I can only fully relate to hearthstone,my god the decisions or lack of frustrate the crap out of me,i feel like their teams are full of idiots,nobody with half a brain and they contradict their actions a LOT.
    A lot of the original people are gone anyhow,so who knows what they are thinking at every corner of system design.All i know for fact is what we have all seen of late,a business hell bent on money,Activision wants cost cutting and profits,Blizz execs want big salaries and bonuses,nobody wants to actually work on games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 180

Aeander said:

Scorchien said:

I think a Gnome Squish would be more useful...

FOR THE HORDE!!!

Agreed. I hate the little bastards. Put them all in one blender of cosmic proportions.

You actually hate a race in a game? That's pretty pathetic and childish.
    Aeander
  • dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29
    it's not the amount of levels its the quality of the content and the level of customization. you can have 10 or 1000 levels and make it great and on the flip side you can also have it horrible. Blizzard it seems is still completely out of touch with what its base gamer wants and always has a knee jerk reaction to every pvp gamer's desire.

WoW is and was meant to be the MMORPG version of the Warcraft games. Warcraft is the pvp version, WoW was suppose to be the PvE version with all the lore, dungones, and quest. the customization of each character to do with it what you wanted was a big part of that, having so many abilities you couldn't fit them on the bars made the game great for serious pve players because they could do more than 1 thing. this frightened casual players and angered pvp players... so they nerfed it so its like only 15 powers and you serve only 1 specific role... even that got nerfed as causals complained they didn't have time to look for people to fill roles so they made everything so easy that you no longer needed specific roles just good gear and a full party.

people got bored, things got too lazy, and players moved on.

the lesson here shouldn't be to try and please everyone or listen to players that the game was never meant for. think of the type of game you made WoW to be, then ask players what would make THAT idea a better one instead of destroying it.

a level pinch will make content quicker to reach and gear sooner to wear but it also means less content to do and you end up skipping half the fun of the things mid level because you reach level cap faster. its not a good thing and the focus should be more on what to add in the extra levels to make things a better gaming experience and not a quicker one.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member UncommonPosts: 263
    A stat and level squish would probably be good. They could cut numbers in half, across the board (levels, stats, damage, experience, etc...), and it would make the game look more accessible, despite being exactly the same. Raid encounters would probably need to be further adjusted... but considering every expansion makes everything before obsolete, who cares?
    Ideally MMO's would stop raising level caps so much, and use alternate forms of advancement, instead. EQ is 20 years old, with 22(?) more expansions than WoW, and yet WoW has a higher level cap...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,747
    I forgot to mention, did you put all those hours in to get to top level? Well lets dismiss that dedication to the game so new players can hop on for 10 minutes and think they are doing something "meaningful".

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,005
    Levelling is at best 'pseudo' content, reducing the levels isn't really the issue i think when it comes to WoW, though i wouldn't be against reducing levels down to about 60 again, instead of focusing more on adding new raids, or making raids more challenging, they need more open world content, very few players are into raiding even after LFR became a thing. Dungeons are fine, add more, but its the open world that needs 'more' and by more i mean like by the bucket load as its perhaps the most neglected part of the game. :/
  • ScifighterScifighter Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Why not leave the level's as they just make it harder to lvl up it still aint hard to hit 120 it would be so unfair to take our lvls away
    Scot
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,897
    How is a level squish relevant at all when they give out free character boosts?

MadFrenchie

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,185
    This is a great idea. They just need to reduce the level cap from 120 to 12. Then they can push this to 15 with the next expansion.  This will get players back to what is really important, the gear grind. Sure, you may be level 12, but what is your gear score?
    MadFrenchieTorvalNilden