Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost ark (rumor) getting an unreal engine 4 upgrade for western

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
https://mmoculture.com/2019/04/lost-ark-rumors-on-mobile-version-and-unreal-engine-4-upgrade-surface/

If you are wondering about the PC version of Lost Ark, do not worry as Smilegate is hiring aggressively for the game as well on its recruitment website. Some postings for Lost Ark , such as the one for a Client Developer, are asking for experience on both Unreal Engine 3 and 4. Hence right now there are speculations that Smilegate is aiming to upgrade the game engine, similar to what NCsoft is now doing with Blade & Soul. Again, this is just a rumorbased off “normal” job postings. Enough rumors for now, so stay tuned for more!

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited April 2019
    I don't know why Smilegate would need to upgrade to UE4, it's already amazingly polished and optimised. One of the best run games on the market. 

But then again who knows how it will run in the west. 

Also smilegate is teasing a new class, called Lance Master. It looks like a Dragoon. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZiy362DjXU
    Roin
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Kumapon said:
    I don't know why Smilegate would need to upgrade to UE4, it's already amazingly polished and optimised. One of the best run games on the market. 

Also smilegate is teasing a new class, called Lance Master. It looks like a Dragoon. 

I agree, they have the UE3 engine running and looking great right now.  Why upgrade it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Kumapon said:

I agree, they have the UE3 engine running and looking great right now.  Why upgrade it.
    It's interesting for sure.  An upgrade can only benefit us though.  If it turns out that UE4 is breaking things or making it less polished they can always just not release it.  Sounds to me like they are taking the risk on themselves to see what they can get out of it.

Very much looking forward to this one.  Sick of all the spam-fest screen-clearing 2-button bullshit in most ARPGS
  • hackerzizonhackerzizon Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    Hope they can make it Unreal 3 to 4 :) 
    ahnbyungchan twitch
  • chidxxl12chidxxl12 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Wasnt it already said that they were working on mobile version of LA? I think that hiring for UE4 is for the mobile version sadly.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    chidxxl12 said:
    Wasnt it already said that they were working on mobile version of LA? I think that hiring for UE4 is for the mobile version sadly.
    Another new white tag, welcome to the forums, keep coming back.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Really looking forward to this one. Come on get here soon.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Why, exactly? 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited July 2019
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Why, exactly? 
    Well I love how the game looks. I enjoy the art style and I actually love how the combat looks even if I may suck at it completely. Going to try to play a class that requires the least amount of twitch. Nobody will want me in their group because I suck at these types of games but still I will buy and try it.
    Chamber of Chains
    chidxxl12 said:

As I've known they made it Compatible for UE 3 and 4 change later.
    Mobile version yeah right 
    That news came last year december
    Lost Ark Mobile-> 
    https://www.zdnet.co.kr/view/?no=20181207155044

ahnbyungchan twitch
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Why, exactly? 
    Well I love how the game looks. I enjoy the art style and I actually love how the combat looks even if I may suck at it completely. Going to try to play a class that requires the least amount of twitch. Nobody will want me in their group because I suck at these types of games but still I will buy and try it.
    C'mon, you know it's gonna suck, these sorts of games usually do for "reasons," yet hope continues to spring eternal.

Besides, would @DMKano steer you wrong?

;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    Except simply porting over to the Unreal Engine doesn't mean anything at all.I still look at the game,it looks like a dated game design so weather it has updated particle effects or a higher resolution textures ,it is still the same game.

A perfect example,i would rather play FFXI looking dated and old than any mmorpg using the Unreal engine's.I am looking for gameplay designs,system designs and how the entire world comes together.Example is it a world full of singular instances or does all the content relate to each other and the entire game comes together as one.

There are some stereotypical ideas i see in the game that spells Korean MMO,same old terrible design.Giant armor giant weapons,just sad.The combat looks too much like a moba and dodge rolls=no way am i playing this.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Man, everyone is starting to push for upgrades from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4 and APB is still working on just updating to a different version of 3.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited July 2019
    I was looking forward to Lost Ark, the only thing that deters me is the boilerplate missteps that come with Korea to US releases. Starting with... the 2-3 year staggered translated releases, and ending with "Credit Card Powah". Beyond that everything else about the game looks interesting.

I respectfully take the former Trion shills words with a grain of salt as they were fine with the f@#$ery that was going on in Archeage.

Beyond all this, does anybody know if UE4 does any better with 100's of players on the screen at once? If not beyond 1-4 player experiences it serves no purpose to discuss in an MMORPG, (unless you're into arguing about how your 2080 rig is "sh!t" on the games forums). :D
    Gdemami
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    I cannot say it scales better as far as MMOs goes since that's not something I've dealt with in UE4, but it's base networking layer and ability to adapt to the server-client architecture is considerably better than UE3's. It is still a good upgrade if you're just doing it for performance purposes.
    Gdemami