Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Lays Off 'Dozens' of Developers & Cancels Unannounced Games - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    This news doesn't really surprise me. Lumberyard was never quite what it's needed to be, and it's not gained a lot of traction as a result. Amazon isn't offering anything new to the gaming genre with their services and their own internal titles reflect(ed) that situation.
    Gdemami
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Smedley never got a clue.
    I've been saying this since they deployed the NGE patch for SWG, then turned EQ2 into WOW Light, and had the final confirmation when they wasted money on a kiddie game like Free Realm, a game Smedley commissioned so his children could play it; "My children are having lot of fun", he said. Well, we are not.

Before people jump in reminding me that Smedley doesn't run the whole Studio, he run one of the biggest team though, and since the games already announced (and not canceled) are not developed by Smedley Studio, I am guessing that is his games that are axed.
    GdemamiUngood
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    edited June 2019
    I just saw DMkano's graph, mobile is making more money than PC, Console, VR, arcade and handheld combined. And it does not look like mobile will be taking a hit in 2019, it is other platforms? Well it is an estimate, we shall see.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    I know when Amazon Game Studio's was announced I had a glimmer of hope. Of course this was only going to last through the misconception that New World was going to be an MMO. Which I actually thought it would be.

Why? Well if you come into the market with a lot of money behind you. To me it made sense to go after part of the market that hadn't really had anything new. From my perspective making a Survival game, Battle Royale or Moba as examples is kind of stupid and that ranges back to when Amazon Game Studio's was announced. So now I would kind of expect that all of these games fit exactly those types of games.

MMO's on the other hand... when exactly was the last Triple A MMO that wasn't either a worse version of WoW or one of those games that look like cut and pastes of the last bunch of cash shops to be released.

So the moment that New World being a Survival game started to surface... well these layoffs were expected. I'm not sure how anyone in charge didn't know this... and personally I don't see Smedley as being the problem here. Which is also ironic because I only ever came to this site because of SOE... but that horse is long gone.

When I got invited into the very first wave of New World Alpha.... well the rumors weren't rumors anymore. I didn't violate the NDA and post stuff... didn't rant/rave on forums. Just uninstalled and forgot about Amazon Game Studio's until reading this article.
    Gdemami
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    They made the mistake of jumping on the survival bandwagon.

edited June 2019
    Scot said:
    I just saw DMkano's graph, mobile is making more money than PC, Console, VR, arcade and handheld combined. And it does not look like mobile will be taking a hit in 2019, it is other platforms? Well it is an estimate, we shall see.
    Seriously though.
    This bullshit about Mobile games overtaking whatever other platform is getting really annoying (not having a go at you, just speaking in general).
    Candy Crush and all the other mobile rubbish are not real games, they re just time killers, they are basically the modern version of Crossroads.
    I would not put mobile games in the same category as the other games, in my opinion they do not compete, at all.

The Mobile Market is a new market, if you look at the graphics, the whole traditional gaming industry (PC+Console) has been steady for a decade.
    The Mobile didn't cannibalize traditional games. There is no reason to panic and move all game production to Mobile, because the PC+Console market is still there.

You won't see traditional games being a success on mobile, I can guarantee you that.
    Sure we do have phones (Blizzard docet), but who the fuck plays Diablo Immortal while sitting on the toilet or at the bus stop waiting for the bus?
    If this individual exists, I want to meet him and punch him right in the face.

[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

DMKano said:

A buddy of mine works for Amazon games - he is one of the Lumberyard engine developers. He is safe (not affected by layoffs)

If they had stopped development on Lumberyard, that would have been the LOL moment of the year...
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Smedly... nuff said.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129

nyxium said:

I never took these guys seriously as a game developer anyway. Stick to selling gpu cards, Amazon. Good luck to the dev's and hopefully they will gain new employment soon, steer clear of Amazon though. :D

All you know Amazon for is for selling video cards?!
    TEKK3N said:
    Scot said:
    Seriously though.
    This bullshit about Mobile games overtaking whatever other platform is getting really annoying (not having a go at you, just speaking in general).
    Candy Crush and all the other mobile rubbish are not real games, they re just time killers, they are basically the modern version of Crossroads.
    I would not put mobile games in the same category as the other games, in my opinion they do not compete, at all.

The Mobile Market is a new market, if you look at the graphics, the whole traditional gaming industry (PC+Console) has been steady for a decade.
    The Mobile didn't cannibalize traditional games. There is no reason to panic and move all game production to Mobile, because the PC+Console market is still there.

You won't see traditional games being a success on mobile, I can guarantee you that.
    Sure we do have phones (Blizzard docet), but who the fuck plays Diablo Immortal while sitting on the toilet or at the bus stop waiting for the bus?

The problem here is the mobile, and what the both of us would consider the "mainstream gaming" market, barely overlap. Those little time killers are played my millions on much more accessible mobile devices on a daily basis. Most of those people are not "main stream" gamers. So will more complex "mainstream" games ever switch to mobile devices? Most likely not, however seeing the larger percentage of profit due to ease of development of mobile games, how long do you think it will take before "mainstream game" makers start to abandon us to move on to greener pastures.
    That's the point I was trying to make.
    Developers are in full retard mode, panicking over missing the Mobile train.

But the thing is, as you pointed out, that Mobile and Mainstream gaming barely overlap.
    Two separate markets. Just hire more people and develope for both markets.

The stupidity of game developers is highlighted by Blizzard debacle over Diablo Immortals.

As you know Blizz\Acti owns King which is one of the biggest Mobile developers (Candy Crush anyone?).
    Why on earth they felt the need to taint Blizzard with their Mobile shit when they have already a Mobile developer which excel in doing just that?

The whole industry is behaving like headless chickens.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiTacticalZombeh
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    wow look at the mobile on DMKanos graph! It sucks that so many players are going for that garbage.
    Gdemami
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I tried new world, I really feel it was no different than any other survival, nothing new, bland. You would thing with the resources they have at there disposal they could come up with something better.. Nope. Im starting to feel more and more just leave the game developing to game companies. Google Will have to prove themselves before I even touch stadia.
    bartoni33
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    That graph is why I thought PC Gamers would take to the idea of cloud based gaming. Not for it being an optimal gaming experience but because it's a potential wrench in the mobile market. Why play Diable Mobile when you can just fire up your favorite Diablo title ultra settings from your handheld?

It could potentially force game studios to play by the unspoken rules of desktop/console gaming across the board. A lot of the accepted practices that are now normal in mobile gaming exist because no one took it serious as a consequential medium. Meaning "whatever we do here, won't be judged outside of here". I remember a while back I watched a developer panel where they did a challenge called "Make The Worst Mobile Game Ever". The things they "joked" about are norms.

N E WHO, the only thing that's going to stop nefarious mobile game development is a respectable viable alternative muscling on the screen time. 
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    #pumpthebrakesonmobilehate

If it wasn't for mobile I wouldn't have had a single DC or Marvel game with multiplayer features to play for years cause those IP's for the most part have given up on PC. Marvel Avengers the SE game comes out May 2020...

As for Blizzard's mobile move IMO they handled it wrong by outsourcing their IP to a foreign company to do a Diablo re-skin of a generic looking eastern mobile game. Would anyone really have had an issue if they'd announced a match 3 Diablo, WoW or Starcraft game made by King?

Mobile gaming is there to provide people with a gaming option when you can't get to console or PC which is why it's so popular IMO. Whether or not it survives long term who knows but for the past 5 years has served its purpose of providing on the go entertainment and in some cases a casual multiplayer experience that is sometimes hard to find these days in PC gaming.
  • MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 143

Amazon needs to be split up, they've gotten too big of a company and because of their size are causing so many stores and other companies to lose business. Same with google, facebook and walmart. They need to be split up to smaller companies that actually compete with each other. 

Because of amazon, toys r us, a bunch of clothing stores and even gamestop (as some examples) are all closing down because people are shopping online now and most of that is through amazon. That needs to stop and amazon needs to be forced to split into multiple businesses. Same with google who has a stranglehold on youtube, search engines and countless other things they invest in

Steam also is too big and needs to be split up, they have a stranglehold on the PC digital business. EPIC isn't much of a threat as their game list is tiny. But imagine if steam was forced to split into multiple store fronts...then that gives a huge competition in general for digital pc sales. It even gives sites like GOG a chance at a new life with possibly many new customers.

First of all, what does any of this have to do with AGS, and their laying off of employees despite the lack of any releases since inception!? Secondly, please stop regurgitating bits and pieces of talking points. No offense, you come off like a copy and paste algorithm.
    gervaise1
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    Scot said:
    Seriously though.

The problem here is the mobile, and what the both of us would consider the "mainstream gaming" market, barely overlap. Those little time killers are played my millions on much more accessible mobile devices on a daily basis. Most of those people are not "main stream" gamers. So will more complex "mainstream" games ever switch to mobile devices? Most likely not, however seeing the larger percentage of profit due to ease of development of mobile games, how long do you think it will take before "mainstream game" makers start to abandon us to move on to greener pastures. We've already seen what Blizzard thinks of the whole situation.
    Surveys suggest hardcore gamers play mobile when they can't play their most preferred platform.

Others play it because it's convenient and there all the time (they always have their phones).  Standing in line?  Take a few minutes to check up on your farm/village/shelter/whatever.

The size of the mobile market consisting of gamers that prefer mobile to other platforms seems minuscule compared to the amount of folks who are like, "Eh, if I'm taking a shit, I can't really continue playing WoW, so I'll download this game on my phone to play during those times, instead."  Mobile isn't replacing anything, despite the revenue spike it's seen over the past 5-6 years.

I don't think the industry realizes this like they should, and I do believe that will come back to bite them in the ass.  It's already bit some, like Blizzard, and the graph Kano shared shows the mobile revenue growth pretty much stopping over the past year.

• LoLMetsLoLMets Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2019
    NW is an oldschool sandbox MMO.  I don't think their target audience is the WoW kids.

In that sense the game they were designing was fine and the engine is impressive.
  • KonanKonan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    people get laid off all the time so no big worries
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Konan said:
    Except when it's you, you have a baby on the way and you just bought a new house.
    MadFrenchieTacticalZombehPhaserlight
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DMKano said:
    Scot said:
    And remember guys the gaming industry is doing amazingly well! There is a lot of money swilling around, but that doesn't mean there are not deep seated issues.
    Actually this is the first year since 2000 that shows a downturn in sales - so there is without a doubt a real problem.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/03/13/video-game-industry-stalls-stocks-plunge-whats-going-on/

Obviously the end of the year is not here yet but the current projections are all showing a decline in sales for the first time since 2000
    Technically a downturn in estimated sales.

Not just the 2019 number is an estimate but the numbers for all other years as well - data for lots of companies and countries is simply not available. And then there are (big) companies that don't break out the numbers. 

The estimated trend though could influence decisions though e.g. whether a company plays safe in its design decisions; whether games get the go-ahead etc.

Interesting graph.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    DMKano said:
    Scot said:
    And remember guys the gaming industry is doing amazingly well! There is a lot of money swilling around, but that doesn't mean there are not deep seated issues.
    Actually this is the first year since 2000 that shows a downturn in sales - so there is without a doubt a real problem.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/03/13/video-game-industry-stalls-stocks-plunge-whats-going-on/

Obviously the end of the year is not here yet but the current projections are all showing a decline in sales for the first time since 2000

Not just the 2019 number is an estimate but the numbers for all other years as well - data for lots of companies and countries is simply not available. And then there are (big) companies that don't break out the numbers. 

The estimated trend though could influence decisions though e.g. whether a company plays safe in its design decisions; whether games get the go-ahead etc.

Interesting graph.
    The most interesting part to me is that there was a mobile market in 2000 since "handheld" is its own separate category. Who the heck was selling and buying "mobile" games on Motorola flip phones? :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    DMKano said:
    Scot said:

Interesting graph.
    Hard to say how much data supports the graph; the insurance industry has entities that collect data from individual companies and collates it into industry trends much like the graph Kano cited, even where that data isn't made publicly available by the companies themselves.  I don't see why other industries would include the same.  2019 is inherently estimated as we're only halfway through it.  There could be far more hard data going into that graph than would be available publicly from the individual participants.

EDIT- seeing similar numbers from another source would give it a bit more cred.
    Phry

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    New World is a pretty good game but it takes them sooooo long to come out with updates. Makes sense now.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Konan said:
    You are confusing layoffs with turnover.

Layoffs are a sign of downsizing.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    game development jobs are so haphazard, never know how long you will be around. Stressful!
    Sovrath

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!