Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Octopath Traveler Steam Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe RPG Files: Octopath Traveler Steam Review - MMORPG.com

When the game was first announced, I was immediately drawn to the design aspect. I had just finished playing through Bravely Second and was looking for that next big JRPG to fill the gap, the idea of Octopath fit the bill perfectly. The question, however, is did it fill that gap? The answer is yes and no, and here’s why.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    I really dont get why people make games that look bad on purpose. The pixelation kills my eyes and I do remember days when games looked like that. Guess we all have Minecraft to thank for that.
    [Deleted User]Albatroesbartoni33kitaradZalgotassgelwandericaNephethMrMelGibsonjgDuffayand 2 others.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited June 2019
    Kind of a mixed experience. There is a larger narrative. Everyone connects with it to varying degrees. All of the party members are interesting enough to varying degrees (I'm a particularly big fan of Cyrus, H'annit, Primrose, and Alfyn). Where the narrative falters is that the party members are just bystanders in each other's stories. The optional travel banter doesn't really get the job done, and they never feel like a cohesive party.

An average but enjoyable JRPG. Not exceptional by any means. But still, I give the game a solid 7/10 (maybe 8/10) for my boy Cyrus.

(By the way, your primary character is only locked until you finish their personal story at around level 45. You want to pick someone versatile enough to form the core of a great party, like Cyrus or Alfyn. Therion, though weak, has field skills that are beneficial to outfit your party with great loot, but Tressa is probably a better main character if this is what you want).
    MrMelGibson
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I played and enjoyed the switch version. Though I find it hard to recommend at the price. It's a little light for the 83.99 cdn they want for it.

PhryRoinbartoni33
  • Maxstone1Maxstone1 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Khebeln said:

I really dont get why people make games that look bad on purpose. The pixelation kills my eyes and I do remember days when games looked like that. Guess we all have Minecraft to thank for that.

Thats me too.. I remember black-and-white, and green-and-white computer games, pixel art, etc..did murder to my one functioning eye over the years. I can't just get this retro phase people are in right now...
    bartoni33
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    The art style is a personal preference as with all things. Anyway I've been watching this game for a while but for me it looks like a buy on sale kind of game. Some of the stories are interesting, but it's no where near Dragon Quest xi in epicness.
    Mendelbartoni33
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Torval said:
    I was really excited about this game but after watching some videos and reading reviews I think it has been a bit overrated like Ni No Kuni. It looks decent just not $60 decent. When it came down to choices I picked up Dragon Quest XI (on sale of course) instead and I think I made the better choice for now.
    Yeah. If you want a top tier modern JRPG, I recommend Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and its standalone expansion), Dragon Quest XI.

And if you haven't played Tales of Vesperia yet, do so with the remaster. It's an oldie but a goodie. The best overall Tales game.

Octopath is really more mid tier. If you can get it for $40, get it.
    MendelPhryinfomatz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, SE pc control ports are leaving something to be desired in a lot of their games but the game as a whole is really well done.
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    I was really excited about this game but after watching some videos and reading reviews I think it has been a bit overrated like Ni No Kuni. It looks decent just not $60 decent. When it came down to choices I picked up Dragon Quest XI (on sale of course) instead and I think I made the better choice for now.
    Yeah. If you want a top tier modern JRPG, I recommend Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and its standalone expansion), Dragon Quest XI.

And if you haven't played Tales of Vesperia yet, do so with the remaster. It's an oldie but a goodie. The best overall Tales game.

Man if Atlus were to release it's catalog of games onto PC it would be a huge success. Not sure what the aprehension is, beyond Japanese are weirdly protective of the platforms their games are on.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet

edited June 2019
    Tiller said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:

Man if Atlus were to release it's catalog of games onto PC it would be a huge success. Not sure what the aprehension is, beyond Japanese are weirdly protective of the platforms their games are on.
    It isn't just that JRPGs tend to be console exclusive, they also tend to have notoriously bad PC ports when one does happen. Namco is particularly inconsistent with the port quality of its Tales series.

I don't think that the Japanese gaming industry has a high regard for pc gaming.
    Tillerinfomatz
  • MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67

Aeander said:

Kind of a mixed experience. There is a larger narrative. Everyone connects with it to varying degrees. All of the party members are interesting enough to varying degrees (I'm a particularly big fan of Cyrus, H'annit, Primrose, and Alfyn). Where the narrative falters is that the party members are just bystanders in each other's stories. The optional travel banter doesn't really get the job done, and they never feel like a cohesive party.

An average but enjoyable JRPG. Not exceptional by any means. But still, I give the game a solid 7/10 (maybe 8/10) for my boy Cyrus.

(By the way, your primary character is only locked until you finish their personal story at around level 45. You want to pick someone versatile enough to form the core of a great party, like Cyrus or Alfyn. Therion, though weak, has field skills that are beneficial to outfit your party with great loot, but Tressa is probably a better main character if this is what you want).

You are correct! I actually had that bit about the character being unlocked after completing their story in my original piece... I tend to write, then re-write a couple times before I turn it in lol. Guess I left that bit out this time :(

[Deleted User]
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Was interested in the game, but at the price thats being asked for it, no deal. Its a $25 game at best and i would not consider spending more than that, i'll get it when it eventually gets put on sale at 80% off, which would be far more realistic. :/
    bartoni33angerbeaver
    Phry said:
    Was interested in the game, but at the price thats being asked for it, no deal. Its a $25 game at best and i would not consider spending more than that, i'll get it when it eventually gets put on sale at 80% off, which would be far more realistic. :/
    I'm not sure what your criteria are, but the average length of the game is around the 70 hour mark, which at least makes it good value.
    OyjordMrMelGibson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Each to their own. The retro artstyle is why I want to play this one more than the others I have on my backlog.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Thomas2006NephethMrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I love this game. Probably one of my favorite games on the Switch. Graphically it's a hit or miss with people, I like the lighting, depth of field, and 3D effects they are using with the 2D pixels it reminds me a lot of 3D Dot Game Heroes on the PS3. Story length is extremely long too. 
    MrMelGibson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I think the game has a charm to it. I enjoy the art style and found a good amount of value in the title. I played about 85 hours on the Switch version. Well worth it to me. I would have rated it a 7.5 or so. I enjoyed the character stories very much. 
    Alfyn's story made me smile a lot. It was one of the least important to the overall narrative, but it was so human.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    "What’s more, it would be published by Square Enix, and I think we can all agree that means a lot, at least to some of us."

Wut?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I was scared too it was going to be a Switch exclusive thank heavens it was not.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I mentioned this game a few days ago,imo the best new game on Steam right now,however that is not saying much.
    Graphics are dated and imo lazy work and no longer accepted.The price tag is way over the top.Improve the graphics,make sure everything has voice overs so it looks like the game was actually finished and lower the price to about $40 bucks and i would buy it.
    IMO devs do these over the top prices with a purpose to see how many they can scam before dropping the price to a normal value.The problem is it can lead to a lot of negativity and ruin the potential of the game's sales,so it is a very risky decision.

"Square Enix"Yes i would auto agree you could expect a better overall quality game but this is just rehashing old stuff with a modern price tag and Square has been overcharging a lot of late,seems the people in charge are getting a bit greedy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    The driving fact making me wait to purchase is I have 103 other steam games I haven't beat yet. I really want to play, but not in a rush to spend 83$ CAD. Will wait a couple years for it to drop to like 20$.
    Wizardry said:
    I mentioned this game a few days ago,imo the best new game on Steam right now,however that is not saying much.
    Graphics are dated and imo lazy work and no longer accepted.The price tag is way over the top.Improve the graphics,make sure everything has voice overs so it looks like the game was actually finished and lower the price to about $40 bucks and i would buy it.
    IMO devs do these over the top prices with a purpose to see how many they can scam before dropping the price to a normal value.The problem is it can lead to a lot of negativity and ruin the potential of the game's sales,so it is a very risky decision.

"Square Enix"Yes i would auto agree you could expect a better overall quality game but this is just rehashing old stuff with a modern price tag and Square has been overcharging a lot of late,seems the people in charge are getting a bit greedy.

The thing I learned about Square Enix is when they release a game at full price it will be included in the next sale, which pisses off those who paid full price off. Summer sale is in a few weeks, I'm willing to bet it may go on sale for $39.99 or $29.99, if not this sale at least by fall.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2019
    This game looks really good. Can't way to get a Switch and play this. I could play it on Steam but i only play JRPGs in physical format because it's my favorite genre so i collect them.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

edited June 2019
    So apparently Octopath is an acronym.

Olberich
    Cyrus
    Therion
    Ophelia
    Primrose
    Alfyn
    Tressa
    H'annit