Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square Enix Considering a Subscription Service Because of Course They Are

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's been happening for TV and movie streaming for a while now with everyone competing with Netflix. It's annoying that it's so spread out and locked into so many different channels with their own sub.

It's enough to make you seriously think about streaming from the pirate streaming services in Russia and elsewhere.
    AlBQuirkyJeffSpicoliGorweTezcatlapocca
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Arterius said:
    Iselin said:
    It's been happening for TV and movie streaming for a while now with everyone competing with Netflix. It's annoying that it's so spread out and locked into so many different channels with their own sub.

It's enough to make you seriously think about streaming from the pirate streaming services in Russia and elsewhere.
    I could never do that myself. I am originally from CA and the LA area on top of that. So I have family who work in Hollywood. No actors or anything but they do camera work and the grunt behind the scenes stuff. I know how much work goes into making even the smallest of TV shows. I could never pirate. I would choose to just not watch.
    I have also had several friends and even family members do the same here in Hollywood North (Vancouver.) Never saw any of them get rich from it though. Profits have a way of not trickling down to them.

I have to admit though that they eat well judging by the buffets I've been able to eat the few times they've sneaked me in to location shoots :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019
    I play one, and only one game at a time until I'm "finished" with it, setting it aside permanently, usually never to go back.

These services make no sense to me, the concept of playing multiple games at the same time is as foreign as reading multiple novels simultaneously, just never would happen. 

Sux to discover you are one of the last dinosaurs (stagnantsaurus) left on earth, oh well,  it was a good run.

;)
    mklinicOctagon7711mmorobo[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGorweSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    I think the funniest thing I've heard so far is the ubisoft one having a subscription akin to EA's but it has interplay with Stadia or w/e google is calling which I do believe will have a free version but also a sub version....so, having a sub for your sub.....sounds like the direction we want to move in!

I dont know about SE though, half their stuff is initially playstation exclusive so what would exactly be the point? PC ports? Some are ok, but at the same time some are just straight up lazy or incompetent (just look at the pc ports for FFXIII trilogy with the first 2 having mouse support but the last having it gone completely).
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I like FF XIV. 

Problem with Square-Enix (or most console gaming developers) is that once the console dies out and a new model replaces the old one, a lot of those games phase out. Then the public is forced to deal with a re-release of a game that existed on a previous console simply because the console no longer exists. 

On the case of Square-Enix, you look at iOS and Steam and find out that a lot of Square-Enix sales goes towards games that were popular and good in the 80s and 90s. While they also own Eidos, I already own a lot of those PC games and don't need a sub as I can play games on Windows 10 that existed in the late 80s and early 90s in computer gaming. 

Right now, I only play 1 - 2 Square-Enix games. 
    However, The Japanese market is about Channel Subscription Based Services and Handheld Devices, so it makes sense for the Japanese to do what works for them, even if it might not work well in Europe or North America. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually play four games at a time.  I also will rotate through other games once or twice a year.  I don't see having multiple gaming services but will probably pick the one I play the most games on.

If this catches on Steam, GoG, Epic, and others will start thinking about a discounts subscription service.  
    [Deleted User]Gorwe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited June 2019
    I don't like all of these individual publisher subscription services.

If major platform holders like Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony all want to offer a gamepass equivalent, then that's fine. They have the value and the variety to do so.

EA lacks both value and variety.

Ubisoft and Square have value, but lack variety. And frankly, Square's release cadence doesn't justify one. Maybe if they wrap in an FFXIV subscription in that cost.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    And then there's Stadia. Yet another subscription service that will "allow" you to play other subscription games for their own subscription price :)

I wonder how long it will take Steam to jump on this bandwagon...
    MendelGorwe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    None of their games appeal to me....Even if they did, i won't go with a sub service..... waste of money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    None of their games appeal to me....Even if they did, i won't go with a sub service..... waste of money.
    Well it depends.

"I" replay games so I prefer to own them. But if you play games quickly and tend not to revisit them you could actually be saving money.

Provided the service is actually good.

Agent_JosephAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Robokapp said:
    end of F2P generation. finally.
    Yeah but replaced by what exactly?

I have to admit though that I have always liked the idea of several MMOs banding together and providing access to all of them for one monthly fee. But my idea of that is more Ready Player One like where your same avatar uses all the different worlds and your advancement, status and wealth carries from one to another... more like virtual person than virtual world.

That's the kind of sub service that would interest me.
    AlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Iselin said:
    Robokapp said:
    end of F2P generation. finally.
    Yeah but replaced by what exactly?

I have to admit though that I have always liked the idea of several MMOs banding together and providing access to all of them for one monthly fee. But my idea of that is more Ready Player One like where your same avatar uses all the different worlds and your advancement, status and wealth carries from one to another... more like virtual person than virtual world.

That's the kind of sub service that would interest me.
    Wow that is a god damn good idea.  One that I would also pay for.  Get this man (or woman) a beer!
  • viney123viney123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Great business idea... Include FFXIV subscription with it and bolster their subscription numbers even more. A lot of these game companies with subscriptions don't have MMOs like SE does, so they could use this to their advantage - to make their sub numbers look even better. >.> 

Looks like Netflix was one of the first to catch onto a sub model like this working for just about every service out there. Gaming was bound to catch onto the same model. In fact, not only are we seeing different games being offered with services, but Stadia and XCloud will tack on the entire server with it as well and allow you to get maximized performance without having to use your own hardware...
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    AlBQuirky said:
    And then there's Stadia. Yet another subscription service that will "allow" you to play other subscription games for their own subscription price :)

I wonder how long it will take Steam to jump on this bandwagon...
    The cool thing about stadia though is it doesn't HAVE to be a subscription though.
    AlBQuirky