Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Lays Off 'Dozens' of Developers & Cancels Unannounced Games - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageAmazon Lays Off 'Dozens' of Developers & Cancels Unannounced Games - MMORPG.com News

Kotaku has a new report that Amazon Game Studios has laid off "dozens of developers" and that it has reportedly canceled a number of unannounced games. The news of the layoffs came as the gaming world's attention was focused on E3 in Los Angeles.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well....that's not good. Wonder if Smedley's bunch got hit? Nothing on his Twitter yet so maybe not?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    edited June 2019
    oh my!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I had a feeling this was going to happen. I also think the lukewarm reception to New World isn't good news for that team either. Hopefully they see at least the games that were fully announced to release.
    trikeryretiredmjSabracFolmen
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125

SBFord said:

Well....that's not good. Wonder if Smedley's bunch got hit? Nothing on his Twitter yet so maybe not?

Wait! Are we talking about THAT Smedley? From SOE? If yes, then no wonder why AGS is struggling to release game(s)...
    XarkoSpottyGekko
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited June 2019
    I never took these guys seriously as a game developer anyway. Stick to selling gpu cards, Amazon. Good luck to the dev's and hopefully they will gain new employment soon, steer clear of Amazon though. :D
    Sal1wingoodinfomatz
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited June 2019

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I also think the lukewarm reception to New World isn't good news for that team either. Hopefully they see at least the games that were fully announced to release.

I mean, I still don't understand how they thought New World was a good idea. Everyone thought it would be a triple A MMO from someone with as big a name as Amazon at first, and then we find out it's just another glorified survival game years after the prime of that type of game. Should have been pretty damn easy to predict a not so good reception.
    RhygarthJeroKaneWhiteshade92AwakenHDTezcatlapoccaSolancerTacticalZombehAlomarretiredmjRidelynnand 13 others.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I want to see what MMORPG nimrod is going to devils advocate this into a positive thing. No released games, Breakaway DOA, New World not looking good, Crucible = WTF is a Crucible, and now layoffs. There's not even a solid transfer of resources.

"So hey, Amazon is hiring for some yet to be announced game, you want in?"

retiredmjbartoni33kitaradoriya9Reverielleinfomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Considering their first project was Breakaway (frankly one of the worst competitive multiplayer games ever made), I don't think we're missing out on much.

My condolences to the laid off employees.
    bcbullyRidelynn
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    Hmmm I wonder if Google Stadia made them throw in the towel
    If anybody would be equipped to compete against Stadia and xCloud I would have figured it would be Amazon. I would have bet that they would be ready to compete, and I was honestly thinking that Lumberyard was tech demo for the bigger play. Dah well.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lets all keep in mind that their game studio was focused on titles that could potentially garner high twitch views, so these games canceled were probably just battle royales anyway. Its never good to hear about layoffs though, so I hope the people can recover.
    infomatz
    Albatroes said:
    Lets all keep in mind that their game studio was focused on titles that could potentially garner high twitch views, so these games canceled were probably just battle royales anyway. Its never good to hear about layoffs though, so I hope the people can recover.
    One of their games, which actually was announced, The Crucible, in fact was a battle royale. This was before the battle royale craze started, and it was supposed to be novel that it was based on The Hunger Games. You can bet that they weren't happy when PubG, and then Fortnite Battle Royale beat them to the punch.
    angerbeaver
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

DMKano said:

Remember when people thought that Amazon Game Studios was the savior of MMORPG genre? 

Heh

they did?
    TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]bartoni33
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    DMKano said:

DMKano said:

Remember when people thought that Amazon Game Studios was the savior of MMORPG genre? 

Heh

they did?

Yes on these very forums when Amazon first revealed their projects - it was all oohs and ahhs.

When I saw breakaway - I actually burst out in laughter- when I realized that it wasn't a joke but a real game they were working on, I immediately knew that they were so screwed.

A buddy of mine works for Amazon games - he is one of the Lumberyard engine developers. He is safe (not affected by layoffs)
    then ask him waht they are smoking to think these games would be any good? new world I could see a niche for it though, the other one? nah
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    A lot of their games made since in the context of the time period.

Breakaway was in development when MOBAs were still hot. It was just a terrible, laughable excuse for a game.

Battle royales were still a novel concept when The Crucible was announced. But it wouldn't release soon enough to capitalize.

New World is ambitious, but oh so very mediocre.
    sakinol
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Absolutely hate to see folks get let go. That said, Amazon is evil and it’s tendrils slither into too mich.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I always felt they were trying to chase popular concepts to cash in but failed at the execution because executives tries to control everything and dictate development. The end result will always be crap.

In other word, I'm not surprised by the layoff. Kind sad for all those people who joined them because of Amazon $$$ hoping to make great stuff though.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Absolutely hate to see folks get let go. That said, Amazon is evil and it’s tendrils slither into too mich.
    Unfortunately, we live in a space of picking the lesser of evils. I mean even ubisoft of all companies is being heralded as saints in the life-service era......ubisoft of all companies.....
  • trikerytrikery Member UncommonPosts: 15
    What's wrong with New World?
    retiredmjRovn
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    trikery said:
    Nothing. Just already a more polished and larger version of a survival game. And I hate survival games.
    AeandercollektNyteWytch
    SlyLoK said:
    trikery said:
    Nothing. Just already a more polished and larger version of a survival game. And I hate survival games.
    Survival is a flaw in and of itself. Bottom of the barrel game genre.
    Alomarbartoni33infomatzNitemareMMOspawn12345
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Aeander said:
    SlyLoK said:
    trikery said:
    Survival is a flaw in and of itself. Bottom of the barrel game genre.
    nope  B)
    [Deleted User]AeandercollektTacticalZombehPhaserlight
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Yeah, I guess they realize New World isn't going to be the hit game they thought. The heads at Amazon probably don't have a clue about gaming and gamers. So they thought they would hire a bunch of experts to start a game company. And the first thing they do is make an MMO that is an open world gankbox. So interest in it fades away and now they are struggling. They should do a reset and hire smarter people.
    bcbullyRovn
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Just because some devs make crappy games does not mean the GENRE is crappy.
    it took a while but i know now that Smedley is a joke,i wouldn't buy anything he is selling.

What do i expect to see,well bandwagon stupidity would likely produce a FN type shooter.Other than that i figure a few real low budget,low risk games,perhaps a trend towards mobile.

You can't just take your name and say "ok we are in the gaming business"that is so pathetic it is not funny.You have to have a solid plan on how you plan to succeed in an extremely flooded market.
    You have to be CREATIVE and be willing to invest a lot of time and money into your ideas before turning any profit.The industry has been trying to do it the WRONG way because they see a small handful making a lot of money but seem to forget all the losers that go out of business.
    Alverant

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    And remember guys the gaming industry is doing amazingly well! There is a lot of money swilling around, but that doesn't mean there are not deep seated issues.
    GdemamiAlverant