Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Raises Funds to Place Billboard to Thank No Man's Sky Devs - MMORPG.com

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,800
    They could have gave up took the L and disappeared. Instead they turned the game around and made it into everything the people expected and then some. It IS commendable.

I wonder if the weirdos going extra hard at Hello Games are this rigid with the imbecile they vot... never mind. I already know the answer. *Falls back*
    SBFordMadFrenchieHatefull
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 538
    I think it should serve as a cautionary tale for an Indie developer to get in bed with a large publisher like Sony. This is what happens when you are forced to rush your game out the door before you are ready. You take all the heat and they get off blame free. 
    Hello games didn’t try and “fix” the title. They merely completed the work they set out to do in the first place. 
    People are so cynical. Lighten up. It is a game. Nobody got robbed here.
    The game is something special.
    So are the developers. 

You're posts are usually pretty insightful and accurate but Sony didn't force Sean Murray (spelling?) to tell outright lies about the features and scope of the game at launch. He could have said what the actual feature set was and what they wanted to do in the future to expand the game but he chose to simply lie. It wasn't a bad game either, quite good actually, but it most certainly was not what Sean had described it as. I applaud HG for sticking with it after the absolute shit kicking they took in the press and reviews, though that shit kicking was well deserved.

Have they added true multiplayer to the game yet? last i checked it was on the roadmap. 

• SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 33,120
    edited June 14
    Have they added true multiplayer to the game yet? last i checked it was on the roadmap. 
    Multiplayer was added almost a year ago.

https://www.mmorpg.com/no-mans-sky/news/next-update-to-arrive-with-multiplayer-and-tons-of-improvements-1000049258
    blueturtle13RexKushmanHatefull

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,752
    SBFord said:

https://www.mmorpg.com/no-mans-sky/news/next-update-to-arrive-with-multiplayer-and-tons-of-improvements-1000049258
    Yeah @Torval and I even met up in game after it was launched last year. It was a pretty amazing thing to be honest. This game has come so far. 
    RexKushmanSBFordHatefullTorvalTacticalZombeh

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 538
    SBFord said:

Good to know, I'll have to check it out again after work slows down in the fall. Thanks!
    SBFordHatefull

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    I've never played the game. However, I heard that the launch was very disappointing. While most game developers usually just pack up and call it quits, the NoMan team stuck with it and kept on working. From what I hear now, the game is very fun.

Good job!
    SBFordHatefullTacticalZombeh
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,571
    SBFord said:

Yeah @Torval and I even met up in game after it was launched last year. It was a pretty amazing thing to be honest. This game has come so far. 
    Did you pk him?  >:)
    Hatefullblueturtle13kitaradTorvalTacticalZombeh

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,561
    I think it should serve as a cautionary tale for an Indie developer to get in bed with a large publisher like Sony. This is what happens when you are forced to rush your game out the door before you are ready. You take all the heat and they get off blame free. 
    Hello games didn’t try and “fix” the title. They merely completed the work they set out to do in the first place. 
    So are the developers. 

You're posts are usually pretty insightful and accurate but Sony didn't force Sean Murray (spelling?) to tell outright lies about the features and scope of the game at launch. He could have said what the actual feature set was and what they wanted to do in the future to expand the game but he chose to simply lie. It wasn't a bad game either, quite good actually, but it most certainly was not what Sean had described it as. I applaud HG for sticking with it after the absolute shit kicking they took in the press and reviews, though that shit kicking was well deserved.

Its even worse. HG lost a huge part of their code when their office got hit by a natural disaster, I believe up to 40%. Unfortunately their deadline to deliver didn’t get changed so they had to push it out. Its the main reason the game wasn’t broken at all, just feature incomplete.

And when you combine that with the PR moves by Sony which threw them completely under the bus you get quite a different picture then what most are yelling about here. HG could have pointed the finger but they didn’t, they delivered. And then some.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    HatefullSBFordblueturtle13mmolouSovrathCryomatrixTacticalZombeh
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 2,082
    They could have gave up took the L and disappeared. Instead they turned the game around and made it into everything the people expected and then some. It IS commendable.

I wonder if the weirdos going extra hard at Hello Games are this rigid with the imbecile they vot... never mind. I already know the answer. *Falls back*
    the lowest unemployment rate in years...recovering economy...LMAO

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

lahnmir said:
    So are the developers. 

Its even worse. HG lost a huge part of their code when their office got hit by a natural disaster, I believe up to 40%. Unfortunately their deadline to deliver didn’t get changed so they had to push it out. Its the main reason the game wasn’t broken at all, just feature incomplete.

And when you combine that with the PR moves by Sony which threw them completely under the bus you get quite a different picture then what most are yelling about here. HG could have pointed the finger but they didn’t, they delivered. And then some.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Agreed. When they lost their code I personally thought they would be put years behind at that point but they had a delay but were very open about it and allowed fans in to see what was going on. What is crazy is their entire office was under water and they lost nearly everything they had.
    To make it even worse it was Christmas Eve. 
    The journey of No Man’s Sky is a fascinating one and in the end we ended up with a special game. 
    mmolouSovrathSandmanjwTacticalZombehHatefull

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member UncommonPosts: 652
    edited June 14
    Holy shit I forgot how toxic most the ppl on here are. They could have dumped the game like most devs but they did not. You all need to pull your heads out of your overly entitled buts and realize they have gone FAR beyond what any dev team has. And the updates have been free. As for The billboard they run a price around 2.7k a month for one in cali.
    Hatefull

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• xDjevikxDjevik Member CommonPosts: 6
    I agree with @SBFord for the simple fact that they are not doing this because they kept to their promises. They did this I believe because they did not give up on the project and went all the way through.

So many games have come and go because companies do not do their jobs as some of you on here are saying. Why Praise them for doing there "God damn JOB" well because they actually DID THEIR JOB.. They stuck it out and never once gave up when they got a ton of backlash from the community and others.. They could've and most would've but they didn't and that is enough for players to band together and do something for them as they the developers stuck to their word and did "Their JOB".

A lot of you on here are so self center and believe this kinda of Thank is a waste of money and not needed..

anyways I didn't put a lot of time into this game however I  am glad they are getting this kinda of attention and players are doing these kinda of things good for them. This is awesome
    SovrathSBFordHatefull
  • SharneSharne Member UncommonPosts: 143
    edited June 14
    lahnmir said:
    So are the developers. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Agreed. When they lost their code I personally thought they would be put years behind at that point but they had a delay but were very open about it and allowed fans in to see what was going on. What is crazy is their entire office was under water and they lost nearly everything they had.
    To make it even worse it was Christmas Eve. 
    The journey of No Man’s Sky is a fascinating one and in the end we ended up with a special game. 

I didn't realise this happened to them, quite surprised they lost 40% of there code from it though, even with a disaster like this, the most you should ever lose is a days work if you follow decent backup and disaster recovery practices, even if you don't, 40% still sounds bloody high to me.

All that being said, kudos for recovering from the aforementioned setback.
    SovrathSBFordHatefull
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,801
    They made a lot of money selling unfinished game. Granted.

But they could have taken that money and leave.

They didnt.

They bow their heads. Didnt talk to no press. Went to no shows. Nothing. But worked humbly.

And they delivered.

That is strength of character.

Redeemed in my eyes
    Sovrathmmoloublueturtle13SBFordSandmanjwTacticalZombehHatefull

• HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I mean it's the job they should've done in the first place...
    Yes, but it's the fact that Hello Games put forth (and continues to do so still) the effort tenfold after they royally messed up. What other gaming company has done that? None... at least not remotely at the level Hello Games has. Usually when a game studio messes up, they count it as a loss and move on to the next game to recoup profits while not giving a shit about the people who bought their train wreck. Look at EA. Hello Games could have done that, but chose not to. I think the gaming community should show them we appreciate that any chance we get, if no other reason than to send a message to other game studios to show that we'll get behind them and support their games if we're treated with respect rather than just money generators for your company.
    SBFordHatefull
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,571
    edited June 14
    HazenXIII said:
    I mean it's the job they should've done in the first place...
    Yes, but it's the fact that Hello Games put forth (and continues to do so still) the effort tenfold after they royally messed up. What other gaming company has done that? None... at least not remotely at the level Hello Games has. Usually when a game studio messes up, they count it as a loss and move on to the next game to recoup profits while not giving a shit about the people who bought their train wreck. Look at EA. Hello Games could have done that, but chose not to. I think the gaming community should show them we appreciate that any chance we get, if no other reason than to send a message to other game studios to show that we'll get behind them and support their games if we're treated with respect rather than just money generators for your company.
    Like that latest Mass Effect game. 

It had issues, people were not happy and they continually worked on it to not only fix issues but they also introduced additional content for free as an apology to their long time fans ...

Well, in Bizarro world. 

We know that they just pulled the plug on future development and moved on.
    blueturtle13

• CygiCygi Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Hatefull said:

1. You didn't like fallout 76? well wah, several hundred thousand other people did.

2. Never forget what? That you have a different opinion? Great snowflake, we all do.
    1. I'm gonna say this clear: this several hundred thousand other people liked completely unfinished and horrendously bugged product. Let that sink in.

2. Never forget, that this site gave 7/10 to product described above. "Different opinion" and "snowflake", nice try.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,800
    Hatefull said:

the lowest unemployment rate in years...recovering economy...LMAO
    Looks at 401k, asset manager, tax returns, whinging farmers and truckers, increased overseas telecom fraud, the flourishing opioid manufacturers, and the 448 page pdf... LMAO indeed.

Alas, lets get back to how the evil incarnate Hello Games lied to us and ripped our lives apart and can never be forgiven no matter what they do.  :D
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
    Cygi said:
    lahnmir said:
    You’re so edgy I just cut my hand on your comment. Ouch!
    That means you can't keep up.

Don't blame me for the state of your mind.
    Lack of humour doesn't mean you're going fast mate, it just means you're no fun.

You're also factually wrong on half of the things you write in this thread, which makes your antics even less fun. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sandmanjw

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,109

Besides nobody knowing who actually ran this go fund me campaign,this is a developer who asked for $60 to buy a pile of crap game,why would ANYONE give that idea any props?

You want $60 bucks from me,it better be a really good game,not a severely unfinished base core game engine.
    So now some idiots THINK this developer deserves some props for getting the game to still an UNFINISHED state and took your $60 for doing so,pfftt idiots.
    SandmanjwTacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

Besides nobody knowing who actually ran this go fund me campaign,this is a developer who asked for $60 to buy a pile of crap game,why would ANYONE give that idea any props?

You want $60 bucks from me,it better be a really good game,not a severely unfinished base core game engine.
    So now some idiots THINK this developer deserves some props for getting the game to still an UNFINISHED state and took your $60 for doing so,pfftt idiots.
    Yet what your describing and what it is are two different things. One is reality and one your version of reality. 

Besides, did you not just describe Atlas? 
    It seems if the flavor of the game fits your taste you are just shifting the narrative to fit your point of view. 
    SovrathSharneSandmanjwTorvalTacticalZombehHatefull

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,371
    edited June 14
    I have entered a surreal world...I look forward to punters putting up a billboard for Bless, Fallout 76 and Anthem in the coming year, thanking the developers for their tireless efforts.

Alternatively I can think of a few things in the real world players might want to put on billboards outside their offices right now. ;)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 76

Wait a minute, is this a thinly veiled bash on Trump?  You can always tell the people who have no real concept of the things that are actually going on in the world when they bash old orange face.....Hurry and get back to the matrix that is CNN or FOX or whatever other fake news channel you watch.
    HatefullMadFrenchieJackDundee
  • jaymesbondjaymesbond Member UncommonPosts: 34
    This is the sad state of the game development industry and of game development journalism.  Raising funds for a billboard to celebrate them doing their job?  Them finishing the game years after launch while charging full price?  That deserves praise?  Not to mention all free marketing and publicity for this stunt.  Oh, they donated the remaining funds?  Great.  Maybe should have donated all the funds instead of spending money on this publicity stunt.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves, especially about the last line of the article, sounds like Sean Murray wrote it.

Man, did you all forget that story when their studios "flooded" and they had no "backups?"
    ScotGdemami
    This is the sad state of the game development industry and of game development journalism.  Raising funds for a billboard to celebrate them doing their job?  Them finishing the game years after launch while charging full price?  That deserves praise?  Not to mention all free marketing and publicity for this stunt.  Oh, they donated the remaining funds?  Great.  Maybe should have donated all the funds instead of spending money on this publicity stunt.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves, especially about the last line of the article, sounds like Sean Murray wrote it.

Man, did you all forget that story when their studios "flooded" and they had no "backups?"
    you do realise that actually happened right? Suggesting that facts that do not reinforce your views are lies is the only thing to be ashamed of, and that doesn’t fall on Sean but on you.

And they aren’t affiliated with the stunt so you can scratch that “argument” too.

And thirdly, just to completely nulify your post, it isn’t about them finishing the game, it has only been said about a hundred times in this thread alone. Its about them going the extra mile, and another one, and another one. All free of charge, no complaining, no fingerpointing. That is what it is about. So, that part of your post also holds no merit.

With all that being said, I think the fundraising is silly, but why not? Money is spent on more idiotic stuff without one cent going to charity.

I am really surprised by the broken records in this thread that just keep repeating the same stuff without any consideration of facts or which party is responsible for what or what has been going on since launch. I mean, opinions are fine and I get the initial reaction but man, opinions based on things that just aren’t true aren’t really valid opinions at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    HatefullmmolouSovrath