Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Raises Funds to Place Billboard to Thank No Man's Sky Devs - MMORPG.com

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    edited June 2019
    Holy shit I forgot how toxic most the ppl on here are. They could have dumped the game like most devs but they did not. You all need to pull your heads out of your overly entitled buts and realize they have gone FAR beyond what any dev team has. And the updates have been free. As for The billboard they run a price around 2.7k a month for one in cali.
    Hatefull

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I agree with @SBFord for the simple fact that they are not doing this because they kept to their promises. They did this I believe because they did not give up on the project and went all the way through.

So many games have come and go because companies do not do their jobs as some of you on here are saying. Why Praise them for doing there "God damn JOB" well because they actually DID THEIR JOB.. They stuck it out and never once gave up when they got a ton of backlash from the community and others.. They could've and most would've but they didn't and that is enough for players to band together and do something for them as they the developers stuck to their word and did "Their JOB".

A lot of you on here are so self center and believe this kinda of Thank is a waste of money and not needed..

anyways I didn't put a lot of time into this game however I  am glad they are getting this kinda of attention and players are doing these kinda of things good for them. This is awesome
    SovrathSBFordHatefull
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    They made a lot of money selling unfinished game. Granted.

But they could have taken that money and leave.

They didnt.

They bow their heads. Didnt talk to no press. Went to no shows. Nothing. But worked humbly.

And they delivered.

That is strength of character.

Redeemed in my eyes
    SovrathmmolouSBFordSandmanjwTacticalZombehHatefull

• HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I mean it's the job they should've done in the first place...
    Yes, but it's the fact that Hello Games put forth (and continues to do so still) the effort tenfold after they royally messed up. What other gaming company has done that? None... at least not remotely at the level Hello Games has. Usually when a game studio messes up, they count it as a loss and move on to the next game to recoup profits while not giving a shit about the people who bought their train wreck. Look at EA. Hello Games could have done that, but chose not to. I think the gaming community should show them we appreciate that any chance we get, if no other reason than to send a message to other game studios to show that we'll get behind them and support their games if we're treated with respect rather than just money generators for your company.
    SBFordHatefull
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited June 2019
    HazenXIII said:
    I mean it's the job they should've done in the first place...
    Yes, but it's the fact that Hello Games put forth (and continues to do so still) the effort tenfold after they royally messed up. What other gaming company has done that? None... at least not remotely at the level Hello Games has. Usually when a game studio messes up, they count it as a loss and move on to the next game to recoup profits while not giving a shit about the people who bought their train wreck. Look at EA. Hello Games could have done that, but chose not to. I think the gaming community should show them we appreciate that any chance we get, if no other reason than to send a message to other game studios to show that we'll get behind them and support their games if we're treated with respect rather than just money generators for your company.
    Like that latest Mass Effect game. 

It had issues, people were not happy and they continually worked on it to not only fix issues but they also introduced additional content for free as an apology to their long time fans ...

Well, in Bizarro world. 

We know that they just pulled the plug on future development and moved on.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Hatefull said:

1. You didn't like fallout 76? well wah, several hundred thousand other people did.

2. Never forget what? That you have a different opinion? Great snowflake, we all do.
    1. I'm gonna say this clear: this several hundred thousand other people liked completely unfinished and horrendously bugged product. Let that sink in.

2. Never forget, that this site gave 7/10 to product described above. "Different opinion" and "snowflake", nice try.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hatefull said:
    They could have gave up took the L and disappeared. Instead they turned the game around and made it into everything the people expected and then some. It IS commendable.

I wonder if the weirdos going extra hard at Hello Games are this rigid with the imbecile they vot... never mind. I already know the answer. *Falls back*
    the lowest unemployment rate in years...recovering economy...LMAO
    Looks at 401k, asset manager, tax returns, whinging farmers and truckers, increased overseas telecom fraud, the flourishing opioid manufacturers, and the 448 page pdf... LMAO indeed.

Alas, lets get back to how the evil incarnate Hello Games lied to us and ripped our lives apart and can never be forgiven no matter what they do.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Cygi said:
    lahnmir said:
    You’re so edgy I just cut my hand on your comment. Ouch!
    That means you can't keep up.

Don't blame me for the state of your mind.
    Lack of humour doesn't mean you're going fast mate, it just means you're no fun.

You're also factually wrong on half of the things you write in this thread, which makes your antics even less fun. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sandmanjw
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Besides nobody knowing who actually ran this go fund me campaign,this is a developer who asked for $60 to buy a pile of crap game,why would ANYONE give that idea any props?

You want $60 bucks from me,it better be a really good game,not a severely unfinished base core game engine.
    So now some idiots THINK this developer deserves some props for getting the game to still an UNFINISHED state and took your $60 for doing so,pfftt idiots.
    SandmanjwTacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2019
    I have entered a surreal world...I look forward to punters putting up a billboard for Bless, Fallout 76 and Anthem in the coming year, thanking the developers for their tireless efforts.

Alternatively I can think of a few things in the real world players might want to put on billboards outside their offices right now. ;)
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    They could have gave up took the L and disappeared. Instead they turned the game around and made it into everything the people expected and then some. It IS commendable.

I wonder if the weirdos going extra hard at Hello Games are this rigid with the imbecile they vot... never mind. I already know the answer. *Falls back*
    Wait a minute, is this a thinly veiled bash on Trump?  You can always tell the people who have no real concept of the things that are actually going on in the world when they bash old orange face.....Hurry and get back to the matrix that is CNN or FOX or whatever other fake news channel you watch.
    HatefullMadFrenchieJeffSpicoli
  • jaymesbondjaymesbond Member UncommonPosts: 50
    This is the sad state of the game development industry and of game development journalism.  Raising funds for a billboard to celebrate them doing their job?  Them finishing the game years after launch while charging full price?  That deserves praise?  Not to mention all free marketing and publicity for this stunt.  Oh, they donated the remaining funds?  Great.  Maybe should have donated all the funds instead of spending money on this publicity stunt.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves, especially about the last line of the article, sounds like Sean Murray wrote it.

Man, did you all forget that story when their studios "flooded" and they had no "backups?"
    ScotGdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    This is the sad state of the game development industry and of game development journalism.  Raising funds for a billboard to celebrate them doing their job?  Them finishing the game years after launch while charging full price?  That deserves praise?  Not to mention all free marketing and publicity for this stunt.  Oh, they donated the remaining funds?  Great.  Maybe should have donated all the funds instead of spending money on this publicity stunt.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves, especially about the last line of the article, sounds like Sean Murray wrote it.

Man, did you all forget that story when their studios "flooded" and they had no "backups?"
    you do realise that actually happened right? Suggesting that facts that do not reinforce your views are lies is the only thing to be ashamed of, and that doesn’t fall on Sean but on you.

And they aren’t affiliated with the stunt so you can scratch that “argument” too.

And thirdly, just to completely nulify your post, it isn’t about them finishing the game, it has only been said about a hundred times in this thread alone. Its about them going the extra mile, and another one, and another one. All free of charge, no complaining, no fingerpointing. That is what it is about. So, that part of your post also holds no merit.

With all that being said, I think the fundraising is silly, but why not? Money is spent on more idiotic stuff without one cent going to charity.

I am really surprised by the broken records in this thread that just keep repeating the same stuff without any consideration of facts or which party is responsible for what or what has been going on since launch. I mean, opinions are fine and I get the initial reaction but man, opinions based on things that just aren’t true aren’t really valid opinions at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    HatefullmmolouSovrath
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    People get their knickers in a twist for the oddest things. 
    HatefullmmolouSovrath
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    crankked said:

Wait a minute, is this a thinly veiled bash on Trump?  You can always tell the people who have no real concept of the things that are actually going on in the world when they bash old orange face.....Hurry and get back to the matrix that is CNN or FOX or whatever other fake news channel you watch.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

SBFord said:

Cygi said:

And you are saying that this is "fantastic gesture"?
    What?!

Your post gave me a good Friday morning guffaw.

Still, I see it as a fantastic gesture from the community. You know, it's called people performing a good deed? Doing something for nothing? Expressing gratitude for a job well done? 

Hello Games could have ditched NMS completely. Then you might have had a legit complaint.  Instead, they stuck it out and have made an incredible game.

PS I think we need both an "eye roll" and a "facepalm" emoji here. LOL! :D

That and we need a straight up "No" emoji styled in the likeness of Grumpy Cat or something. Lol. There are time where I just wanted to rate someone's post as them being an idiot unfortunately.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that where their finger needs to be pointed at, is Sony. Yes, some of the blame falls on No Man's Sky; mainly with Sean Murray, for getting too excited and over exaggerating the game. He's just a developer. Not a PR or marketing person. Sony is mainly to blame for No Man's Sky launch state because one, they never reeled Sean Murray in. No one was watching was Murray was saying about the game. Sony ate it all up and encouraged it.

Sony is also the one that pushed out No Man's Sky early. A lot of people tend to forget, Hello Games is an indie company that was swept up by Sony. Specially during an era of Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, etc. A lot of attention were on space sim and space related games and when Sony saw what Hello Games was working on, they bought them up. Hello Games has only made one game before, Joe Danger. A side scroller game. So No Man's Sky was a huge undertaking for them. Sony rushing them wasn't exactly good; specially for a small company of what, maybe 10 people?

Either way, I can keep going on and on. While yes; I do blame a bit of the launch mistakes on No Man's Sky for not reeling in Sean Murray in the beginning, I mostly blame Sony for the majority of it. Sean Murray has learned from that experience and hasn't over hyped anything about any of the updates unless he knew for sure it was going to be ready. Even with the more recent Beyond update and why the whole update announcement is split into three announcements (we've yet to see the third announcement). They have dedicated their time to bringing the features they promised (and more) to a game that has a very low population, and because of it; the game has started to grow again. They deserve this recognition. They earned it.
    Gdemami
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited June 2019
    Cygi said:
    Hatefull said:

1. You didn't like fallout 76? well wah, several hundred thousand other people did.

2. Never forget what? That you have a different opinion? Great snowflake, we all do.
    1. I'm gonna say this clear: this several hundred thousand other people liked completely unfinished and horrendously bugged product. Let that sink in.

2. Never forget, that this site gave 7/10 to product described above. "Different opinion" and "snowflake", nice try.
    Yeah, it is all just your opinion, many others disagree. I do not need to let anything sink in. So I am not sure why you think 7/10 is significant, people like and play FO76 right now, you don't like it, well sorry snowflake then move along, that discussion is in a different forum. This discussion is about No Mans Sky, a game you obviously know nothing about.

Unless you want to discuss NMS, then move along, there is nothing for you here.

Scot said:
    I have entered a surreal world...I look forward to punters putting up a billboard for Bless, Fallout 76 and Anthem in the coming year, thanking the developers for their tireless efforts.

Alternatively I can think of a few things in the real world players might want to put on billboards outside their offices right now. ;)
    If they actually finish those games and add content far beyond what was talked about prior to game release for free, then yeah they would deserve accolades.

I don't understand how people here are so thick they can't get the concept through their heads.

Hello Games failed to deliver a complete product at launch. Much like many other games.

Instead of taking the money and running, they stuck to it and not only, eventually, delivered what they said they would, but they also delivered far more. FOR FREE.

No one has done that.

What the supporters are saying is: Thank you, most (as history proves) would have shuttered the studio and walked, HG didn't. It's an amazingly simple concept that you just can't seem to get your head around.

Encouraging and supporting studios that actually see a game through to the end is a good thing. No one is saying they didn't make a mistake, what they are saying is they went beyond just atoning for their mistake. We all wish they would have released a game with all the features they advertised.

It's people like you that will make releasing shit an acceptable norm, if you put people in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, they will just take the money and run. It is important to support a studio that is willing to finish a game.

Hatefull said:

Looks at 401k, asset manager, tax returns, whinging farmers and truckers, increased overseas telecom fraud, the flourishing opioid manufacturers, and the 448 page pdf... LMAO indeed.

Alas, lets get back to how the evil incarnate Hello Games lied to us and ripped our lives apart and can never be forgiven no matter what they do.  :D
    Yeah, I can do the same thing, sorry you are in a shit industry. Truckers are only whining because there are not enough of them, I know this, I worked in that industry long enough to understand that issue. Your 401K is tanked, lol again, sorry you don't know how to invest. Blame whomever you want, that is all you. 448 page pdf of what? No criminal charges? yup good point there.

LMAO, agreed.
    MadFrenchieJeffSpicoli

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    One of the best games of recent memory. It is everything I wanted it to be and more.
    Love the game. 
    I think it is getting the response like this because it is one of the greatest turnarounds in gaming history. Hello Games is the little Indie that could. Good on them!  
    Love everything about it except it runs a little laggy on my PC, which is mainly the mediocre graphics card's fault....Space combat especially is not enjoyable.
    I'm still of the unpopular opinion that most of the over-hype was caused by delusional fanbois and not Sean Murry. ..... awaits the outrage.

Actually, I think both sides of the discussion can agree to that. Sean should have been passionate about his project, we should have been cautious about his project. I remember him pushing it through the roof and there were many that ate it up. However, this happens a lot and the resulting "they lied to us" posts by the rabid fanbois are usually pretty funny. In this case, at least Sean made good on what he said. Eventually.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]

Hatefull said:
    Cygi said:
    Hatefull said:

Yeah, it is all just your opinion, many others disagree. I do not need to let anything sink in. So I am not sure why you think 7/10 is significant, people like and play FO76 right now, you don't like it, well sorry snowflake then move along, that discussion is in a different forum. This discussion is about No Mans Sky, a game you obviously know nothing about.

Scot said:

If they actually finish those games and add content far beyond what was talked about prior to game release for free, then yeah they would deserve accolades.

I don't understand how people here are so thick they can't get the concept through their heads.

Hello Games failed to deliver a complete product at launch. Much like many other games.

Instead of taking the money and running, they stuck to it and not only, eventually, delivered what they said they would, but they also delivered far more. FOR FREE.

No one has done that.

What the supporters are saying is: Thank you, most (as history proves) would have shuttered the studio and walked, HG didn't. It's an amazingly simple concept that you just can't seem to get your head around.

Encouraging and supporting studios that actually see a game through to the end is a good thing. No one is saying they didn't make a mistake, what they are saying is they went beyond just atoning for their mistake. We all wish they would have released a game with all the features they advertised.

It's people like you that will make releasing shit an acceptable norm, if you put people in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, they will just take the money and run. It is important to support a studio that is willing to finish a game.

Hatefull said:

Yeah, I can do the same thing, sorry you are in a shit industry. Truckers are only whining because there are not enough of them, I know this, I worked in that industry long enough to understand that issue. Your 401K is tanked, lol again, sorry you don't know how to invest. Blame whomever you want, that is all you. 448 page pdf of what? No criminal charges? yup good point there.

LMAO, agreed.
    "Sorry you are in a shit industry"
    "Sorry you do don't know how to invest"

I'm supposed to believe you know what you're talking about, when you state mentally regressed garbage like this?

Look at you, out the gate you can't even formulate a response that makes one iota of sense. Unsubstantiated uneducated buffoonery. No wonder.

This was your big opportunity and you blew it. Go find a rally and do your cro-magnon yaaah'ing there.

Let's stop derailing the thread, your responses sure as hell ain't worth the fallout  :D .
    GdemamiTillerJeffSpicoliHatefull

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Hatefull said:
    I'm still of the unpopular opinion that most of the over-hype was caused by delusional fanbois and not Sean Murry. ..... awaits the outrage.

Actually, I think both sides of the discussion can agree to that. Sean should have been passionate about his project, we should have been cautious about his project. I remember him pushing it through the roof and there were many that ate it up. However, this happens a lot and the resulting "they lied to us" posts by the rabid fanbois are usually pretty funny. In this case, at least Sean made good on what he said. Eventually.
    I would agree with this for the most part save for a caveat.

If it's not a feature currently in the live build, you don't talk about it as if it's part of the live build. You can have as may ideas being tested internally, but until it's on the track to being properly implemented it does not have a place being pitched as if that's what you're delivering. 

This was a PR mistake Molyneaux was notorious for, and it's not like this is actually that rampant for complete features to be advertised, and then simply not show up. Most games make players feel bilked by having cosmetic downgrades or changes to the gameplay that makes it feel off in some manner. More frequently it's become the immediate monetization of assets, microtransactions, and/or day one DLC.

But outright saying a big feature or set of features will be there, and it not being there, isn't quite so common. People should always take PR with a grain of salt, but PR also needs to have a rein on what they're actually producing.

The thing Murray and NMS eventually did do good on this end is more or less "shut up" and focus on delivering the content instead of trying to spin things up without knowing if they were going to be able to carry through. Unless the took the DE approach of and openly talked about the state of development for gameplay changes and upcoming content or experiments, it's the next best option since any significant changes between those announcements would just cause the same problems for NMS all over again.

SO I would say Murray himself did commit a pretty big blunder, but they at least learned from it.
    Hatefull
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2019
    I was like a few in this thread and I avoided this game for some time, but finally bought it after things began to turn around and I'm glad I did. True multiplayer and VR is coming. For now multiplayer is on a smaller scale and I've actually run across people on my journey and visited their creations. I agree that Sean oversold this game, but it's getting close to what people hopped for. Lets face it, it's in better shape that SC.

Post edited by Tiller on
    Hatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Hatefull said:
    Cygi said:
    Hatefull said:

Scot said:

No one has done that.

Hatefull said:

LMAO, agreed.
    "Sorry you are in a shit industry"
    "Sorry you do don't know how to invest"

I'm supposed to believe you know what you're talking about, when you state mentally regressed garbage like this?

Look at you, out the gate you can't even formulate a response that makes one iota of sense. Unsubstantiated uneducated buffoonery. No wonder.

This was your big opportunity and you blew it. Go find a rally and do your cro-magnon yaaah'ing there.

Let's stop derailing the thread, your responses sure as hell ain't worth the fallout  :D .
    So, what I read here was: Hatefull nailed it on the head and I regret my life decisions. Sorry about your luck. You were the one crying about your401K, not I, you are the crying about the U.S. President, not I. I extrapolated what I could from your sweet sweet tears, and came up with this, you are in business yet you don't understand it.

But you are correct on one aspect, let's stop derailing this thread, feel free to PM me if you want some sound financial advice.

LMAO