Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Raises Funds to Place Billboard to Thank No Man's Sky Devs - MMORPG.com

Comments

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This seems silly. They should use the money to throw them a party with pizza and strippers. That would be much more fun than a billboard.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Utinni said:
    Never fails. Someone will complain if you post "Warcraft Dev saves child from burning building!".
    Excuse me but why are they out saving children instead of doing their job and fixing the terrible state BFA is in?
    Unbelievable.

mmolouSBFordHatefullTacticalZombeh

..Cake..

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Good for them.  Nice job on continuing to develop the game.  I do think they were probably  influenced by Sony to do what they did.  Nice recovery though.
    SBFordHatefullmmolouTacticalZombeh

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    lahnmir said:
    The only thing wrong here is you.
    Because I'm not bowing to their feet for lying and demanding (less than) $60 at launch at lied state like all of you?

Wow, just wow.

Oh, and they delivered so called "200 out of a 100" (after launch, not at launch) because they screw it up and were forced to clear the image.

They didn't do this because they care.

Ya'll cheering for this billboard like a clapping seal at the sight of a grape.
    JeffSpicolimmolouIselin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    Is it really commendable that they actually ended up turning the game into what it was originally advertised? I mean, sure its better than them not doing it, but hey if they just did it from the start....ya know? People feel too soft in this day-in-age. Then IF Bioware turns Anthem around like this, I guess people will be singing their praises too.....This is why we can't have nice things anymore AT A GAME'S LAUNCH. EA already acknowledged in their last investor meeting that "soft-launching" titles is a good business model for them in the long run.....because people are too impatient and have too little standards.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    lol some extra salty folks today.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]JeffSpicoliHatefullMadFrenchieFlyByKnightmmolouConstantineMerus
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited June 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    I'm sorry but this is too much. It smells like cheap fanboyism.

They deserve to get money from purchases now their product is proof of redemption... but to put them in a pedestal like this?!... I mean, one thing is to shake their hands and say "Yeah, you did it, man. Better late than never" but another is to glorify this kind of behavior.

Take the money and give to some charity that needs it. This... this is just nonsensical.
    What pedestal? People are thanking them for finishing what they started and continuing the work. That's what people do. It also shows the developers that there is still an audience for their work and having learned their lesson they can continue. Appreciative customers is an incentive and a reminder that good work leads to good feedback.

Just goes to show you that some people are happy to remain urine soaked, jaundiced eyed bitter people.

I can't imagine how some people make it through the day given how there are more pressing and serious issues out there. everything must be a rant. I imagine that is tiring.
    [Deleted User]SBFordHatefullSandmanjwTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Tiller said:
    lol some extra salty folks today.
    Suzie knows her audience , Its a slow news day and there are only so many Epic Game store stories you can run. Gota get this place hoppin before noon. 

SBFordTiller[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    Why is this insignificant? I think it's a fantastic gesture.
    Fixing your product and implementing promised features it's a goddamned obligation for a company.

People bought the alpha version and now they are thanking them for finishing their product.

And you are saying that this is "fantastic gesture"?

What?!

No wonder that developers have green light from people like you for releasing unfinished crap.

But hey, what am I trying to do on this site:

7/10 for unbelievable crap Fallout 76 by mmorpg.com

Never forget.
    The point being: they did finish the game, are you so blind that you can't see they are one of the so very few developers to actually do that in recent history? No one is saying they didn't make a mistake, I think what people are saying is in a time when very few developers are exercising any type of integrity these guys did. They were late, no one denies this, but they did finally get it done.

Does this imply hero status? No, but damn, when someone (or a group of them) in this industry finally does something good it should be recognized and published IF for no other reason than to show the rest of these Dev studios that the community does appreciate hard work and complete products. I am in no way saying this should be the norm but compared to just shutting the game down, cash grabs, and games that never see the light of day, this is a pretty good success.

You didn't like fallout 76? well wah, several hundred thousand other people did.

Never forget what? That you have a different opinion? Great snowflake, we all do.
    SovrathSBFord[Deleted User]mmolouTacticalZombeh

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    Why is this insignificant? I think it's a fantastic gesture.
    Fixing your product and implementing promised features it's a goddamned obligation for a company.

People bought the alpha version and now they are thanking them for finishing their product.

And you are saying that this is "fantastic gesture"?

What?!

No wonder that developers have green light from people like you for releasing unfinished crap.

But hey, what am I trying to do on this site:

7/10 for unbelievable crap Fallout 76 by mmorpg.com

Never forget.
    The point being: they did finish the game, are you so blind that you can't see they are one of the so very few developers to actually do that in recent history? No one is saying they didn't make a mistake, I think what people are saying is in a time when very few developers are exercising any type of integrity these guys did. They were late, no one denies this, but they did finally get it done.

Does this imply hero status? No, but damn, when someone (or a group of them) in this industry finally does something good it should be recognized and published IF for no other reason than to show the rest of these Dev studios that the community does appreciate hard work and complete products. I am in no way saying this should be the norm but compared to just shutting the game down, cash grabs, and games that never see the light of day, this is a pretty good success.

You didn't like fallout 76? well wah, several hundred thousand other people did.

Never forget what? That you have a different opinion? Great snowflake, we all do.
    Well said.
    SBFordHatefull[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusSandmanjwTacticalZombeh

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

Sovrath said:

Cygi said:

lahnmir said:

Its painful to see how little you know of the actual game or what has been added.

It's painful to see that people like you and SBFord are from the group that is responsible for letting developers releasing unfinished products. And now you saying that we should kiss their asses for delivering promised product after this time?

This industry is in this pathethic state because of you.

WTF is worng with you people.

What’s wrong with you? 

It’s correct that companies should do their “jobs.” It’s right that they finish/fix their products. And it’s good for people to recognize that they didn’t abandon the game and worked to right the wrong. 

Just like one thanks a bus driver when getting off the bus or the customer service rep for making it better. 

There’s no issue here except for people with issues.

Sovrath said:

Cygi said:

lahnmir said:

Its painful to see how little you know of the actual game or what has been added.

It's painful to see that people like you and SBFord are from the group that is responsible for letting developers releasing unfinished products. And now you saying that we should kiss their asses for delivering promised product after this time?

This industry is in this pathethic state because of you.

WTF is worng with you people.

What’s wrong with you? 

It’s correct that companies should do their “jobs.” It’s right that they finish/fix their products. And it’s good for people to recognize that they didn’t abandon the game and worked to right the wrong. 

Just like one thanks a bus driver when getting off the bus or the customer service rep for making it better. 

There’s no issue here except for people with issues.

I think you have the wrong analogy. You are right developers should finish their products but before they sell them. Your bus driver analogy is great but you left out the middle in this case the bus driver didn’t take you home safely they dumped you off in the middle of the trip home at some random spot in the desert with a bottle of water and then picked you up a year later and finally only then took you home and your suggesting people should express thanks and gratitude for that???

You are right people do have issues here you have Stockholm syndrome or something. Nothing was acceptable about no mans sky besides the fact they finally fixed up the product they promised in the first place.
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Thank them for what exactly?

Taking an extra couple years post launch to deliver on a fraction of the promises that were made?

You don't thank people for getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar and then celebrate when they put the cookie back.

None of these fake unfinished games deserve press anymore. Nms, FO76, SoT, Destiny, Anthem etc. All Garbage tier.

mmolou
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    The nice thing about America and in many places in the world (many places in the world don't allow this) is that people/entities can redeem themselves if they screw up. 

It seems they redeemed themselves. 

If you screwed up undergraduate for whatever reason, fixed yourself, and is now thriving, is it fair to be like, "you piece of crap, you should have done well the first time" . . . especially when there are extenuating circumstances. 

Cryomatrix
    SBFordmmolouTacticalZombeh
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2019
    Torval said:
    I love when people underestimate Suzie. I get this kick out of watching her pull strings and trigger people. It's fun to bomb the threads with a little gas and a match. :chuffed: (i miss that emote lol)
    SHHHHHHHHH............trade secret!! :P

Now off to find some Epic Game Store news about exclusivity. * pokes Torval in a friendly way * <3

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I think it should serve as a cautionary tale for an Indie developer to get in bed with a large publisher like Sony. This is what happens when you are forced to rush your game out the door before you are ready. You take all the heat and they get off blame free. 
    Hello games didn’t try and “fix” the title. They merely completed the work they set out to do in the first place. 
    People are so cynical. Lighten up. It is a game. Nobody got robbed here.
    The game is something special.
    So are the developers. 

no one got robbed because after a year or so they finished waht they said you would be when you bought the game, only that, and that reinforce my take on wait at least a year before you buy any game, its not like there is a lack of games to play till then
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited June 2019
    mmrv said:

I think you have the wrong analogy. You are right developers should finish their products but before they sell them. Your bus driver analogy is great but you left out the middle in this case the bus driver didn’t take you home safely they dumped you off in the middle of the trip home at some random spot in the desert with a bottle of water and then picked you up a year later and finally only then took you home and your suggesting people should express thanks and gratitude for that???

You are right people do have issues here you have Stockholm syndrome or something. Nothing was acceptable about no mans sky besides the fact they finally fixed up the product they promised in the first place.
    I haven't played the game so no way "I can have stockholm syndrom." It's a ridiculous assertion from someone who just can't imagine that one doesn't always have to look at the world through "crap filters."

I have followed it, seen what they have done. Quite frankly the game would have been fine for me at launch but I'm not a special little snowflake with unreasonable expectations. And now that they have added so, sooooo much to it, I can easily understand why some players are taking a step back looking at all they have done and thanking them for not being like many companies who just abandon their work.

Greedmonger anyone?

As far as the analogy "sure" the bus driver could have left me off at a place that was wrong, I could have argued with him/her and then he/she finally left me off where they should have.

I would then say "You shouldn't have been so eager to finish your job but thanks for not being a complete jerk and actually fulfilling your duties.

Then again, there is a reason I'm able to talk companies and banks and many other organizations into giving me what I want. I don't go attacking most people if I want a specific result. I do try to work with people as most people aren't going to give you what you want if you attack them. If you can make them see the error of their ways then most people will bend over backwards to redeem themselves.

And that's what this is about isn't it? Redemption. I believe people/companies can redeem themselves if they want and that's what this developer did. Good on them. Maybe they won't do it again. 

Also like Final Fantasy 14. Square could have just abandoned it but they have pride in their work even if they couldn't get it right he first time. Now some people believe that it's the best mmorpg out there (one's mileage may vary).

Or people can sit their in their filthy little corners and complain and yell and rant and point fingers until they can do it again the next day. What a way to live.

Sandmanjw

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    They could have gave up took the L and disappeared. Instead they turned the game around and made it into everything the people expected and then some. It IS commendable.

I wonder if the weirdos going extra hard at Hello Games are this rigid with the imbecile they vot... never mind. I already know the answer. *Falls back*
    SBFordMadFrenchieHatefull
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I think it should serve as a cautionary tale for an Indie developer to get in bed with a large publisher like Sony. This is what happens when you are forced to rush your game out the door before you are ready. You take all the heat and they get off blame free. 
    Hello games didn’t try and “fix” the title. They merely completed the work they set out to do in the first place. 
    So are the developers. 

You're posts are usually pretty insightful and accurate but Sony didn't force Sean Murray (spelling?) to tell outright lies about the features and scope of the game at launch. He could have said what the actual feature set was and what they wanted to do in the future to expand the game but he chose to simply lie. It wasn't a bad game either, quite good actually, but it most certainly was not what Sean had described it as. I applaud HG for sticking with it after the absolute shit kicking they took in the press and reviews, though that shit kicking was well deserved.

Have they added true multiplayer to the game yet? last i checked it was on the roadmap. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2019
    Have they added true multiplayer to the game yet? last i checked it was on the roadmap. 
    Multiplayer was added almost a year ago.

https://www.mmorpg.com/no-mans-sky/news/next-update-to-arrive-with-multiplayer-and-tons-of-improvements-1000049258
    RexKushmanHatefull

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    SBFord said:

https://www.mmorpg.com/no-mans-sky/news/next-update-to-arrive-with-multiplayer-and-tons-of-improvements-1000049258
    Good to know, I'll have to check it out again after work slows down in the fall. Thanks!
    SBFordHatefull

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I've never played the game. However, I heard that the launch was very disappointing. While most game developers usually just pack up and call it quits, the NoMan team stuck with it and kept on working. From what I hear now, the game is very fun.

Good job!
    SBFordHatefullTacticalZombeh
    SBFord said:

Yeah @Torval and I even met up in game after it was launched last year. It was a pretty amazing thing to be honest. This game has come so far. 
    Did you pk him?  >:)
    Hatefullkitarad[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    So are the developers. 

You're posts are usually pretty insightful and accurate but Sony didn't force Sean Murray (spelling?) to tell outright lies about the features and scope of the game at launch. He could have said what the actual feature set was and what they wanted to do in the future to expand the game but he chose to simply lie. It wasn't a bad game either, quite good actually, but it most certainly was not what Sean had described it as. I applaud HG for sticking with it after the absolute shit kicking they took in the press and reviews, though that shit kicking was well deserved.

Its even worse. HG lost a huge part of their code when their office got hit by a natural disaster, I believe up to 40%. Unfortunately their deadline to deliver didn’t get changed so they had to push it out. Its the main reason the game wasn’t broken at all, just feature incomplete.

And when you combine that with the PR moves by Sony which threw them completely under the bus you get quite a different picture then what most are yelling about here. HG could have pointed the finger but they didn’t, they delivered. And then some.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    HatefullSBFordmmolouSovrathCryomatrixTacticalZombeh
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    They could have gave up took the L and disappeared. Instead they turned the game around and made it into everything the people expected and then some. It IS commendable.

I wonder if the weirdos going extra hard at Hello Games are this rigid with the imbecile they vot... never mind. I already know the answer. *Falls back*
    the lowest unemployment rate in years...recovering economy...LMAO

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.