Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    Murder is a legal term for unlawful killing.  Is there a law in the game that says you can not kill a player?  If not then you have never "murdered" someone in a game.
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics? You and a bunch of other absurd posters questioning the topic. Obviously you never played Ultima Online where if you turned red you were considered a murderer. 

Y'all need to relax. 
    Language can be very evocative and the use of the word murder seems extreme.

And then it begs the question "what is the point?" Why does he want to know? Ok great, some of us have engaged in pvp and in some cases unprovoked pvp. Now what?
    What if we are all being entered into some sort of serial killer lotto by responding to this thread ?

PhaserlightKyleranScotbcbully
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    Murder is a legal term for unlawful killing.  Is there a law in the game that says you can not kill a player?  If not then you have never "murdered" someone in a game.
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics? You and a bunch of other absurd posters questioning the topic. Obviously you never played Ultima Online where if you turned red you were considered a murderer. 

Y'all need to relax. 

And then it begs the question "what is the point?" Why does he want to know? Ok great, some of us have engaged in pvp and in some cases unprovoked pvp. Now what?

Funny, I knew exactly what he meant. Maybe people who were never really into pvp are the ones with the issue?

"OMG! HE SAID MURDER REGARDING A GAME!" 

People are just overly sensitive these days about everything. 
    Hatefullalkarionlogbcbully
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Once, and felt guilty in WoW, but no communication.  Was trying to non verbally tell him that i would help with his Horde quest, but he saw me as a threat and kept attacking me. So it was a no go. I was a higher level.
    AlBQuirkyNajwalaylah

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Nanfoodle said:
    Your questions wording is odd and disturbing.
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  Consider that many times players will kill each other for the realm differentiating it is logical.  

You know, have you killed player for no reason other than loot, malice, boredom or etc?
    Pretty easy to counter that with: Yes, I play PvP games. 

But you wanted a click-bait title, most likely hunting that gold name. No worries dude, we got you.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Viper482 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

Funny, I knew exactly what he meant. Maybe people who were never really into pvp are the ones with the issue?

I played and loved Lineage 2 for over 6 years. Including its pvp. I'm ok with ffa pvp. I'm generally not ok with people who take it seriously and can't separate game from their issues.

It seems more like he had an agenda and wanted to make a sensational title. But he says not so there it is.
    alkarionlogHatefull
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited June 2019
    Hatefull said:

most likely hunting that gold name. No worries dude, we got you.
    As a recent initiate I can vouch for the fact that the free beer, female attention, and nachos at our secret parties never ends. Brad McQuaid drops by periodically, always wanting to do shots and play Twister. Living the dream. 
    SovrathVermillion_RaventhalKyleranAlBQuirkyHatefullScotbcbully

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    Yes, but the guy had it coming.  I mean, he ninja-looted Thunderfury, and this was back before legendaries were everywh-

Oh.  OH.  You said "in an MMMORPG," not "over an MMORPG."

No, never.  I mean, I could never.  For sure.  I mean, for sure never.  Just don't have it in me to harm someone, y'know?  Even if it's fake.  Yeah, too soft, that's me...  >.> <.<
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    UngoodAlBQuirkybcbully

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well.. Yah.. sorta. Back in the Days of MUD's, if someone was AFK scripting, we would go in and slaughter them with impunity, it was like a witch hunt for us, as back them we viewed AFK scripting as downright cheating, so, if we caught you, we brutally slaughtered you, some of us even went so far as to kill anyone that tried to come to help you.

So yah, we were assholes.

Then the GM's got involved and there was some issues about it, people would report us for unprovoked PvP, which was kinda stupid that Unprovoked PvP was a bannable offence in a game they made Open World PvP... Like what do you think we are going to do if you give us the ability to kill each other.. sit around and have tea and cupcakes?

Anyway.. after my time in Full Loot Open World PvP MUDs, I was glad to move on to PvE only games, and not deal with that level of douchebaggery, which might be why I never got involved with UO. Now days, if I want to PvP, I play a PvP game, like PvP Arena Games, where we are there to mainly just kill each other.

Not a fan of mixed games where I am expected to do PvE BS amidst PvP BS.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited June 2019
    Viper482 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

simple I know what he ment too since the red names was called murderers and teh act of him doing so is murder, saying it a hard word.... I wonder how people function in the world if words is enough to hurt then
    Viper482
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Hatefull said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  Consider that many times players will kill each other for the realm differentiating it is logical.  

You know, have you killed player for no reason other than loot, malice, boredom or etc?

But you wanted a click-bait title, most likely hunting that gold name. No worries dude, we got you.
    Lol. Clickbait? Considering most of us have probably killed hundreds to thousands of combatant in games you kind of have to differentiate what I was talking about.

I don't even know what a gold name is.  I give zero about social accolades.
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    In Ultima Online Beta... there was a small fenced area of rabbits that were killable for skill gain.  I went in, shut the gate and started leveling up my sword skill on them.  

This was when MMOs were brand new to most people, so folks would wander by and ask why I was in there and then sometimes join me.

Being a little shit at the time (still a shit now, just bigger) I invited them in, shut the gate behind them and then murdered them in cold pixel blood.  People even tried to log out, but when they came back I was still there in my bunny slaughterhouse.  Funny seeing ghosts going OoOooOo  while I lure the next person into the cage...

So yes, I have murdered in game. 

Would I do that today?  No...  I'd hope not.  (and even if I wanted to my skills are pretty feeble)

I myself was a PK in Ultima Online at the Crossroads right outside Brit....So yea im in the same boat...Had Red name during most of the time i played that game....That was of corse when it was Pre-Trammel...LOL
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I murdered a good friend several times in an MMORPG. 

That same friend I shot him in the face in an FPS

I also gibbed his entire body with a shotgun in third person shooter game.

I can't even vocalize what I've done to him in Mortal Kombat 11 so I won't go there.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Meridian 59, played a PK during beta just to see what it was like.  It felt awful the first time, but the challenge of being a known PK with only one character and combat available almost anywhere was very intense.  It was a new level of challenge.

I did anti-PK (as a red) in UO, it depends on the game.   Merdian felt like "murder" though because there were very few PKs at the time and the group didn't expect it at all and was quite upset.
    bcbully

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited June 2019
    In Ultima Online Beta... there was a small fenced area of rabbits that were killable for skill gain.  I went in, shut the gate and started leveling up my sword skill on them.  

This was when MMOs were brand new to most people, so folks would wander by and ask why I was in there and then sometimes join me.

Being a little shit at the time (still a shit now, just bigger) I invited them in, shut the gate behind them and then murdered them in cold pixel blood.  People even tried to log out, but when they came back I was still there in my bunny slaughterhouse.  Funny seeing ghosts going OoOooOo  while I lure the next person into the cage...

So yes, I have murdered in game. 

Would I do that today?  No...  I'd hope not.  (and even if I wanted to my skills are pretty feeble)

I myself was a PK in Ultima Online at the Crossroads right outside Brit....So yea im in the same boat...Had Red name during most of the time i played that game....That was of corse when it was Pre-Trammel...LOL

I used to dress up my toon in newb clothes and go out there with my deadly poisoned katana. When a red would go to gank what they thought was a weak, helpless victim I would slice the shit out of them and the deadly poison took chunks of health off. Surprise! Good times. 

Pre-trammel Catskills....
    Najwalaylah
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Horusra said:
    You know what, I think there is unlawful killing and  I am in fact, a "murderer."

In EVE when fighting with your alliance, there is a "rule" that you don't shoot "blues", meaning your fellow allies when either fighting along side or coming across them in space.

On two occasions I've been flying in an allied fleet and someone got extremely obnoxious, rude or worse condescending about my gameplay.

Once the fighting started I waited for the proper moment when they were the enemies primary target and I suddenly target locked the offenders and killed them.

Was worth every Isk I had to pay for "accidently" killing them and on occasion I've had to explain to a new Corp I'm trying to join that I'm really not an awoxer despite my "murders."

;)

PhaserlightConstantineMerusAmathebcbully

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I don't PK people.  I do RvR and battleground, but not PK.

Even in RvR when I see a lone enemy player, I usually let him go unless he attack me.
    bcbully
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Amathe said:
    Hatefull said:

As a recent initiate I can vouch for the fact that the free beer, female attention, and nachos at our secret parties never ends. Brad McQuaid drops by periodically, always wanting to do shots and play Twister. Living the dream. 
    McQuaid stops by? Then I am glad I am not "in the club". However, with a title like OP used, what the fuck else do you call it? I mean seriously, there are like a hundred different ways to say that without the fake news shock value of murder. Honestly.

Hatefull said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Lol. Clickbait? Considering most of us have probably killed hundreds to thousands of combatant in games you kind of have to differentiate what I was talking about.

Riiiiiight. Whatever dude.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I killed other players in WoW that had red name cause of attacking opposite sides npc but what was funny once I saw this Paladin horde red name same lv as me in front of my face he could not attack me I was nelf hunter started to down him quick and suddenly his invisible rogue friend killed me and didnt bother me instead was great strategy they used.
    Hatefull said:
    Amathe said:
    Hatefull said:

McQuaid stops by? Then I am glad I am not "in the club". However, with a title like OP used, what the fuck else do you call it? I mean seriously, there are like a hundred different ways to say that without the fake news shock value of murder. Honestly.

Hatefull said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Riiiiiight. Whatever dude.
    Dude I post on my phone 99% of the time. Everything is black and white.  
    Hatefull
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    LOL at the title.
    HatefullScot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I think the threads title is rather weighted, in some forms of PvP it can be very difficult not to kill someone even if there are no factions. Indeed they are designed to generate conflict, resource gathering for example.
    Hatefull
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Way back in the day I would kill other player characters, but my heart was never in it.  I'd had kids of my own by then and would have hated it if someone spoilt my kid's day just to amuse themselves.  I found I just couldn't do it to others any more.  I have grandkids now and still feel the same.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Never murdered any, but killed, sure, why not? if a game has PVP then it happens. For the record it is not possible to murder another player character as that would imply it was illegal, which if a game allows it to happen means that it is 'authorised' hence the difference between the term killing and murder. ;)
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2019
    ...just wait until Josh Hawley finds out people getting murdered in video games, all rally for video game police.
    ConstantineMerus
    Scot said:
    I think the threads title is rather weighted, in some forms of PvP it can be very difficult not to kill someone even if there are no factions. Indeed they are designed to generate conflict, resource gathering for example.
    I wouldn't say it's weighted but specific.  It's more of I saw someon and decided to kill them just because.