Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Item Reward Cycles & the Crowfall Player - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageItem Reward Cycles & the Crowfall Player - MMORPG.com

The latest Crowfall developer diary has appeared on the official site, this time dealing with the "item reward cycle" or, more simply, the rewards players gain by completing a activities within the game. While players will earn a variety of items along their journey, those will come with a "diminishing returns curve" meaning the more a player advances, the less impactful the rewards are. "The reason is that we want a player's skill to matter more than itemization".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    What was the release date of some phase to the general public for this game again?
    Rain_Deathraven
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Crowfall is the last game that I will ever allow to have a public dev cycle without skepticism. Just STFU and make the game. Do the marketing when it's close to finished.

This whole crowd funding and contrived "transparency" is so old and useless. The featurettes the Q&As enough.
    FacelessSaviorKajidourden
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Yeah backed this game when it came up and still waiting and all I ever see is press releases and the same in optimization or there lack of.

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• SiysrrilSiysrril Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited June 2019
    Will probably be too late for this game, kind of like what happened to blade & soul coming to the west.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    One of my best decisions game-wise was not to support this. I just knew it was going to be many years before(if ever) the game gets released.

I really hope that people will get smarter and stop buying supporter packs, kickstatrter crap or whatever else you wanna call it. If we want to actually see decent games that get finished, letting the companies do them with their money is the smartest choice.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    This game is another Star Citizen :/
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The idea of player decisions is a much better idea than itemization but pulling it off in a positive manner is the tough part.You have to design the players and enemies around the idea of choices but in this case,it is a game predominantly centered around pvp,meaning a WORSE design no matter who does it.

A game i play right now Atlas has learned or NOT learned the hard way,pvp does NOT work in any type of rpg setting and if you cater the game towards that failed idea,the game will fail as well.

The simple reason is that pvp is just easier to cater to,takes so little effort anyone can do it badly and everyone does it badly.
    There is no turning back.the Crowfall team wanted a crowd funded game,a low budget game,it was NEVER going to be a AAA game designed as a fully fledged mmorpg full of PVE content and tools.
    RPG's do NOT need to be ANY type of "versus"it can simply be mostly player+environment.
    FacelessSavior

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• pratt12200pratt12200 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    No one who likes PVE is going to play this game because there is no PVE in the game outside of killing stuff for crafting to back up pvp. Why would PVPers play this game when they have to farm to get better at PVP? Also why would PVP people play this game when other better PVP options are out there?
  • ChocoboboobooChocobobooboo Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Another 1 of those we have nothing right now but we promise you everything please give us money now we will see you in 10 years scam.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Star Citizen, MMO edition. Just another crowdfunded game that will never come out.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Albatroes said:

What was the release date of some phase to the general public for this game again?

February 30.
    JamesGoblin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Another 1 of those we have nothing right now but we promise you everything please give us money now we will see you in 10 years scam.

Welcome to our forums! :)
    JamesGoblin
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited June 2019

Wizardry said:

The idea of player decisions is a much better idea than itemization but pulling it off in a positive manner is the tough part.You have to design the players and enemies around the idea of choices but in this case,it is a game predominantly centered around pvp,meaning a WORSE design no matter who does it.

A game i play right now Atlas has learned or NOT learned the hard way,pvp does NOT work in any type of rpg setting and if you cater the game towards that failed idea,the game will fail as well.

The simple reason is that pvp is just easier to cater to,takes so little effort anyone can do it badly and everyone does it badly.
    There is no turning back.the Crowfall team wanted a crowd funded game,a low budget game,it was NEVER going to be a AAA game designed as a fully fledged mmorpg full of PVE content and tools.
    RPG's do NOT need to be ANY type of "versus"it can simply be mostly player+environment.

The greatest rp experiences I've ever had, happened on pvp+ games. It's hard to see any validity in what you're preaching, when you're using so many absolutes and painting in such broad strokes.

I backed the game. Mostly because it was pvp oriented and Raph Koster got involved. They're trying to fill a niche people like you would have everyone believe doesn't exist. Dang dude, can't we just have one shitty game made for us? :D There's not enough PVE Based games out there to satiate your hunger for cooperation with no real immersion? Just let us have this one bruv. ;) Edit: I just looked at the OP. I shouldn't have bothered. Facepalm. . . In fact, make it a double.
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I wanted to like this one. It has some interesting ideas.
    I jumped in the alpha awhile back and discovered it wasn't for me.

It feels more like a survival game than an mmorpg. The loop is identical to the likes of Ark, Rust etc. Tree punching and rock chipping. Craft a tool. Rinse repeat. Fumble through a cumbersome hierarchy of popup windows to craft. Oops! Tool broke. Back to punching trees.

Apparently there's an rpg somewhere in there with PvP but i couldnt get past the immense deja vu with the survival and crafting loop. It doesn't matter if the combat is any good if I'm going to be expected to punch trees before I can do it. There's already tons of tree punching games and I think I played them already.

As others mentioned, it certainly feels like this should be much further along but I think it has an identity issue.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    this is such a con job lol.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Itzme123 said:
    I wanted to like this one. It has some interesting ideas.
    I jumped in the alpha awhile back and discovered it wasn't for me.

It feels more like a survival game than an mmorpg. The loop is identical to the likes of Ark, Rust etc. Tree punching and rock chipping. Craft a tool. Rinse repeat. Fumble through a cumbersome hierarchy of popup windows to craft. Oops! Tool broke. Back to punching trees.

Apparently there's an rpg somewhere in there with PvP but i couldnt get past the immense deja vu with the survival and crafting loop. It doesn't matter if the combat is any good if I'm going to be expected to punch trees before I can do it. There's already tons of tree punching games and I think I played them already.

As others mentioned, it certainly feels like this should be much further along but I think it has an identity issue.
    Welcome to our forums! :)
    JamesGoblin
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188

Ishkal said:

this is such a con job lol.

How? There's already more game here than some fully released ones. Le shrug.
    JamesGoblin
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I have to chuckle at all the edge lords talking about how the game is vaporware.  Weird statement considering I can fire it up and play it right now unlike literally any of the other KS MMO's in development.  It's easier to just make assumptions than to actually know what you're talking about though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised when the bottom of the barrel think they know something.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited June 2019
    Albatroes said:
    18 month

(Actually I think this is the one Crowdfunded MMORPG that might release earlier)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018