Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    Murder is a legal term for unlawful killing.  Is there a law in the game that says you can not kill a player?  If not then you have never "murdered" someone in a game.
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics? You and a bunch of other absurd posters questioning the topic. Obviously you never played Ultima Online where if you turned red you were considered a murderer. 

Y'all need to relax. 
    Language can be very evocative and the use of the word murder seems extreme.

And then it begs the question "what is the point?" Why does he want to know? Ok great, some of us have engaged in pvp and in some cases unprovoked pvp. Now what?
    read what define a murder and then put it in place, killing someone is considered murder, don't matter if he can ressurect later, you still did the act of murder, get over the semantics and get truth, if one word is too extreme you are not fit to survive the world
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Amathe said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Your questions wording is odd and disturbing.
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  
    I get what you are saying, but if in chess I take your knight and remove it from the board, have I murdered that knight? Seems a tad extreme, rhetorically speaking. 

Maybe ask "has anyone ever ganked a noob?" :)

C'mon, you know you have. Who cried when Old Yeller died?

Roy Batty: "I've done ... questionable things."
    yes you did, unless you consider since it was a war and you cant murder anyone in war, since they are trying to kill you

and a chess is something like a simulation of a combat btw 2 armies of same power

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Nanfoodle said:
    LMAO Thank you

how i picture OP reading our posts

SovrathPhaserlightbcbully
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Nanfoodle said:
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  Consider that many times players will kill each other for the realm differentiating it is logical.  

You know, have you killed player for no reason other than loot, malice, boredom or etc?
    Killing for loot is a reason.  I kill for payout; be that drops, node control, or faction pride.  I won't repeatedly kill the same player though, unless they initiate or it's part of a mechanic.  Spawn campers and griefers are scum.
    Najwalaylah
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Nanfoodle said:
    LMAO Thank you

Nanfoodle said:
    LMAO Thank you

I am a little more tanner.
    Phaserlightbcbully
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    Murder is a legal term for unlawful killing.  Is there a law in the game that says you can not kill a player?  If not then you have never "murdered" someone in a game.
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics? You and a bunch of other absurd posters questioning the topic. Obviously you never played Ultima Online where if you turned red you were considered a murderer. 

Y'all need to relax. 

And then it begs the question "what is the point?" Why does he want to know? Ok great, some of us have engaged in pvp and in some cases unprovoked pvp. Now what?
    It is just a question about gaming.  Obvious, gaming is implied.  If you've murdered in real life. Well, I guess that is your business.

Is there a point to anything here?  You like themeparks... ok what's the point.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Limnic said:

In chess that's a voluntary situation where the two participants are engaged in conflict already. 
    I'm pretty sure no one is being compelled to play PvP games against their will. And conflict is intrinsic to PvP games. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

It is just a question about gaming.  Obvious, gaming is implied.  If you've murdered in real life. Well, I guess that is your business.

Your choice of "murder" was a deliberate choice. I don't think I've seen many use that as it's usually just the word "killed."

"unprovoked murdered"

come one, we weren't born yesterday. 
    Nanfoodle
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Amathe said:
    Limnic said:

In chess that's a voluntary situation where the two participants are engaged in conflict already. 
    I'm pretty sure no one is being compelled to play PvP games against their will. And conflict is intrinsic to PvP games. 
    That drags out it's own argument regarding styles of play integrated into games and how that affects the kind of choices or compromises players may see themselves "forced" to make for the sake of finding games they will generally enjoy. 

The short of that being "If a player finds X game that caters to most of their interests, save for the fact that it's OWPvP as a focus for it's endgame, they may still bite the bullet and handle that part of the experience for as long as they can because of the rest of the user experience."

We certainly have agency and choice, but that does not mean we have optimal choices.
    Sovrath
    Limnic said:
    Amathe said:
    Limnic said:

That drags out it's own argument regarding styles of play integrated into games and how that affects the kind of choices or compromises players may see themselves "forced" to make for the sake of finding games they will generally enjoy. 

The short of that being "If a player finds X game that caters to most of their interests, save for the fact that it's OWPvP as a focus for it's endgame, they may still bite the bullet and handle that part of the experience for as long as they can because of the rest of the user experience."

We certainly have agency and choice, but that does not mean we have optimal choices.
    Sorry I don't buy any of that. If someone plays a PvP game, they must accept the consequences. The fact that they somehow don't really want to PvP is not my problem. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Limnic said:
    Amathe said:
    Limnic said:

Sorry I don't buy any of that. If someone plays a PvP game, they must accept the consequences. The fact that they somehow don't really want to PvP is not my problem. 
    If you want to PvP of course it's not your problem. That doesn't seem to address the optimal choices issue, just you saying "I don't care".
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Aori said:
    Only game I've considered what I've done to another player murder is Lineage 2. I went out with the sole intention of killing a player, I killed anyone else associated with that player. It was a genuine murder full of malice and ill intent based on revenge. My intent was to make that individual suffer if not disappear altogether which they did.

Killing players though, never invoke the feeling I am murdering them. It is a game for fun, that is part of the game. I don't consider pvp murder, just Lineage 2, things got very personal sometimes and very nasty.
    FFA game, everyone knew what they were getting into. Was darn fun
    Catibrie
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

Your choice of "murder" was a deliberate choice. I don't think I've seen many use that as it's usually just the word "killed."

"unprovoked murdered"

come one, we weren't born yesterday. 
    extreme is you stating you point over and over and not one belive you are right, murder is used for games, red named people in old MMO was called murderers, no would get red name for killing one peep or killing someone who atacked you first, but starting a combat and killing him it gave you that. it was a mech I abused too, I didn't fight back so he could kill me when I was with my name white, that would give him murderer status and I would go back kill him and get anything he drops, since murderers get a penalty of losing equiped gear on dead, then I would or just npc the gear in spite of him or just resell him for 10X the value of the item, some did bought back it becasue of the enchants it had

one thing I loved to do in L2 was when I was grinding in higher lvl places someone started to complain there was a theca idiot killing people in some low lvl zones, I would tp there, wear the whole no grade armor and weapon I had just for these and walk around he was last seen, don't take too long for him to show up, then I change my weapon and start to kill him, normally I get some of his theca gear or even better weapon, I would just npc it for the adena and move on back to grinding, because now the dude is fucked and without the gear

notice the status is called murderer, so drop the is too extreme wording, it is what is called you disagreeing don't make it lose the fact, accept and move on
    Limnic said:
    If you want to PvP of course it's not your problem. That doesn't seem to address the optimal choices issue, just you saying "I don't care".
    You're right, of course. If some person is playing a PvP game who doesn't actually want to PvP, I am stuck on "I don't care." And when I encounter that player in game feeding the squirrels or playing a ukulele, I plan to pop him one.  /shrug

edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

read what define a murder and then put it in place, killing someone is considered murder, don't matter if he can ressurect later, you still did the act of murder, get over the semantics and get truth, if one word is too extreme you are not fit to survive the world
    The "act of murder?" I think the world might be a bit too extreme for you if you take it that far. It's just player "killing" and no adjusted person takes it farther than that. Does it bother me? Of course not. I think it's overkill and I think the OP is being cute.

But ok, I'll play ...

@OP: great, you now know that people have actually taken part in FFA pvp and hit unsuspecting people. Now what?

Hey OP, I have question for you. Have you "murdered anyone" in game?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Amathe said:
    Limnic said:
    Amathe said:
    Limnic said:

I agree with this. That's why there is no such thing as forced pvp. It's the most ridiculous assertion.

And I suppose someone forced these players to buy the game as well!
    immodium

edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

The "act of murder?" I think the world might be a bit too extreme for you if you take it that far. It's just player "killing" and no adjusted person takes it farther than that. Does it bother me? Of course not. I think it's overkill and I think the OP is being cute.

But ok, I'll play ...

@OP: great, you now know that people have actually taken part in FFA pvp and hit unsuspecting people. Now what?

no extreme, it is what it is, calling apples oranges don't make then be oranges

you is the one who think its extreme calling apples apples
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Murder in a computer game would be an act of roleplay.  Such as assassin role-playing contracts on other players or bounty hunters killing another player that doesn't have a bounty so their actions were unsanctioned by authority.

I would think a more interesting question would be talking about when you went out of your way to kill another character because you were provoked to an extreme point.  For example, going after a bounty hunter in SWG who killed another character in the middle of their wedding ceremony.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited June 2019
    @Sovrath @Amathe
    Iunno. If that was one of the few games that catered their interest on a broad spectrum, then it's again just the case of the individual coping with the PvP until a point at which it gets too much in the way of the rest of the experience. Being forced to play was not part of the statement, just accepting compromise due to lack of good alternative.

That obviously does not put the onus on other players to care, but it does highlight gaps in user experience and play style choices. Things that may not be getting catered to.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    i have, but not in game
    alkarionlogVermillion_RaventhalKyleranAlBQuirky
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    In Ultima Online Beta... there was a small fenced area of rabbits that were killable for skill gain.  I went in, shut the gate and started leveling up my sword skill on them.  

This was when MMOs were brand new to most people, so folks would wander by and ask why I was in there and then sometimes join me.

Being a little shit at the time (still a shit now, just bigger) I invited them in, shut the gate behind them and then murdered them in cold pixel blood.  People even tried to log out, but when they came back I was still there in my bunny slaughterhouse.  Funny seeing ghosts going OoOooOo  while I lure the next person into the cage...

So yes, I have murdered in game. 

Would I do that today?  No...  I'd hope not.  (and even if I wanted to my skills are pretty feeble)

SovrathimmodiumAmathePhaserlightHatefullwingoodNajwalaylah

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    12 years of EVE. I stopped counting after a year. 
    KyleranPhaserlightHatefullPhry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

But ok, I'll play ...

Lol, I am only using murder because it's specific.  Just to avoid confusion.  I think killing some nameless guy on a PvP battlefield is different killing some guy for his stuff, just because or someone who pissed you off.
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:

Y'all need to relax. 

But ok, I'll play ...

Lol, I am only using murder because it's specific.  Just to avoid confusion.  I think killing some nameless guy on a PvP battlefield is different ths 
    Ok, fair enough, I guess I'm wrong.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I have participated in gang warfare:

Scorchien

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance