Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First There was Maneater, Now there is Path of Titans Where YOU are a Dinosaur - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFirst There was Maneater, Now there is Path of Titans Where YOU are a Dinosaur - MMORPG.com News

Earlier this week, we wrote about a game called Maneater where players take on the role of a shark. Now we have an MMO in development by Alderon Games called Path of Titans where players take on the role of a dinosaur. Players become one of ten "core dinosaurs in a rich ecosystem filled with complex AI creatures and up to 200 other human players" who are also presumably dinosaurs as well.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2019
    Tagging @blueturtle13 <3

Honestly, I think these games are wickedly fun. I mean, we play as Orcs and talking 2-legged cows, elves and all sorts of other extra-human creatures so why NOT dinosaurs? :)
    Octagon7711MadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I am all for original gameplay, but you can see how this is an odd fit from the RPG angle. People can relate more to avatars which are closer to us.

I think it is good to flex your wings (perhaps literally?) and play avatars which are beyond human experience, I am not sure what the "immersive" players would make of this, but I think it could go down well.

I loved playing all three roles in Alien v Predator, the alien was the one that felt really fresh. Not so sure about the remake, I understand for example that the UI was standardised, no alien looking UI, it all had to be the same.

Games like this are more "what would it be like to be..." rather than "me as a...". Well apart from Suzie and sharks she was getting way too into that. :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    DMKano said:
    Dont need a game for that - many of us here are dinosaurs already.
    Hey I resemble that remark!
    3domSBFordOctagon7711

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited June 2019
    I want to be a swarm of little dinosaurs, like the ones that ate the fat guy in original Jurassic Park. Sort of like playing a Mastermind in CoV only with little dinos.
    SBFordMyrdynn

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Why does it even matter if the dinosaur "character" is female or male? Do female dinosaurs have mammaries? I wouldn't be surprised after all those RPG lizard(wo)men with boobs.

Thank you for your time!

• Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited June 2019
    Can we expect Keanu's appearance as a dinosaur?
    Post edited by Shanky_Shanky on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2019

3dom said:

Why does it even matter if the dinosaur "character" is female or male? Do female dinosaurs have mammaries? I wouldn't be surprised after all those RPG lizard(wo)men with boobs.

Somewhere in an alternate reality dinosaurs are being introduce to a computer game playing as humans and one dino posted this same comment about what difference does it make to play as a male or female human...
    Siliconera Is Moving To A New Server - Siliconera
    SBFordseratinonelesslightkitaradScotCryomatrixMadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Thing is there's already a game like this called The Isle and tbh the dino creation looks like the older version of that, maybe with slightly better graphics but honestly? looks almost the same to me.
    Octagon7711

imageimage

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2019
    Is the combat in DQXI actiony? Or is that dragon Quest heroes I bought one of these and had to return it is why I ask .

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

kitarad said:
    Is the combat in DQXI actiony? Or is that dragon Quest heroes I bought one of these and had to return it is why I ask .

Turn based
    you can move your person around a little during a fight but it does not do anything.
    Not action at all  
    Fantastic thanks

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2019
    So it's LIF, Endless Forest, Meadow, etc, but with dinos.

This has bee a somewhat explored concept, and somewhat directly with The Isle as Taishi mentioned, and it's always stayed in a rather small niche.

Part of that is, I doubt a lot of people are aware on the titles thus-far mentioned. 

Another part of that is that you're playing "proper" animals instead of humans, and people tend to have a harder time relating on a deep level to that.

The amount and depth of activities is another thing. If the game has to be simplified due to a finite set of ways for an animal to interact with the world, that also in turn limits depth of the game's features.

With dinosaurs and the subsequent survival of the fittest theme, as with how The Isle worked, it allows for PvP to introduce more challenge and depth in that manner, but that also again narrows the audience.

Just curious as a result what their goals are with the title.
  • nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Blatant copy paste from that ark survival mod that lets you play as an dino with others etc.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    Dont need a game for that - many of us here are dinosaurs already.
    Hey don't look at me. I'm just a tourist here. Nice museum though. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • triikortriikor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    looks like shit.

the isle is the same and decent no need for this game to be made
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2019
    Kind of funny because Square Enix allowed players to play as the mobs in game yet nobody seemed all that interested.The reason?Well it seems a very high majority of rpg gamer's seem to think all a rpg should do is provide loot and nothing else matters.
    The one time it seems to change the trend is when dinosaurs are introduced.Ark was released a terrible mess yet so many bought in just because they love the idea of dinosaurs,people have always been fascinated by dinos.

I think it is a nice change from the normal but still need to see some solid gameplay.I think i may have watched someone playing this but not sure because the entire game was about dinos and avoiding the stronger ones while hunting the smaller prey.
    If it is the same game i saw some streamer playing then there was literally NO gameplay,just a simple game of hunt and avoid being hunted and nothing more.It was boring to watch and very slow because there was some sort of mechanic to be stealth making it tough to spot anyone.

IDk if it is the same game or not,i see someone mentioning "The ISle"so maybe it was that game i watched.Either way,i need to see a LOT more gameplay,i already have way more to do within Atlas and could just play Ark if i wanted Dinosaurs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.