Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Not realm vs. realm but unprovoked murdered another player in a game that allowed you to player kill.  
bcbully

Comments

• TriddleTriddle Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Has anyone who plays MMORPGs not PKed even once? That'd be one rare cookie.
    HatefullOctagon7711PhaserlightLeirosBranko2307
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I don't think I've ever killed another player in game.  Not even in DAoC, I played a Cabalist (early on) and was basically a target with a huge walking billboard-pet advertising that I was a target.  Even parking the pet beside a wizard to confuse the enemy didn't work.  I had almost no offensive spells.  The pet was powerful, but slow; it couldn't catch up to a player.

I may have contributed to other's death, but certainly wasn't the cause.

HatefullViper482CryomatrixPhaserlight

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    I plead the fifth.
    Viper482ConstantineMerusPhaserlightwingood
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Triddle said:
    Has anyone who plays MMORPGs not PKed even once? That'd be one rare cookie.
     <raises hand> Me.  <---One rare cookie ;)

One, I don't really play PvP MMOs and two, I can never forget that there is a human being on the other side of the screen so I get no "joy" from "ruining their day."
    bcbullyAllerleirauh

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have killed player characters who were flagged but who nevertheless did not want to fight. 
    HatefullLeiros

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I have killed players in Battlegrounds and such in PvP but it isn't murder because it is not against the law of the game, in fact it is within the rules of the game.
    SovrathHatefullViper482

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I killed players in battleground settings, but never one on one for no reason.....Usually if I got attacked it was by someone 50 levels higher that I had no chance against so I just let them kill me.
    bcbully
  • PDFSPDFS Member UncommonPosts: 13
    My approach in Sea of Thieves is also my approach in MMORPGs, I'm not out looking for trouble and if you sail by harmlessly I'll leave you alone. But if you look at me funny...
    SovrathHatefullbcbully
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Your questions wording is odd and disturbing.
    HatefullSovrathViper482JeffSpicoliOctagon7711ConstantineMerusKyleranAlBQuirkyPhaserlightCatibrieand 2 others.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Plenty of Reds in UO , but they had it coming
    Viper482Phaserlight
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Murder is a legal term for unlawful killing.  Is there a law in the game that says you can not kill a player?  If not then you have never "murdered" someone in a game.
    Viper482[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusKyleranAlBQuirkyPhaserlight
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    nah I don't tend to start killing random peeps around, unless its faction or a guild on kos list and red names, since red names are the murders who kill random peeps
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DMKano said:
    Murder is a bit harsh of a word for some pixels on a screen.

But hell yeah - unprovoked player killing - yes thousands, but I dont label it as "murder", since they like respawn without losing a damn thing in most games.

It's a PvP game - everyone playing is 100% aware that player killing is part of the game, there is no game yet that I have seen that has rules about "provoked vs unprovoked"

So to me - if it's open world FFA PvP - there is no such thing as "unprovoked" its just all PvP.

If I get killed when I am not ready or I kill someone else who is not ready - it's all a part of the game in open world PvP.

If you are soloing and get jumped by 20 players- again no rules against that in open PvP.

So I tell you - this unprovoked thing is something people make up in their head, it doesn't exist in actual game for me (talking about open world FFA PvP).

I actually agree and have the same opinion as @DMKano on this topic. What I will not do is camp or farm a lesser skilled player just to be an ass. But yeah if you are "just here to gather" well sorry! however, there are plenty of games that allow that without OWPVP.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited June 2019
    It's not "murder" per se as it's a part of the game and the characters "come back."

Player killed? Only other reds or people who have gotten me first. I find pk'ing unsuspecting people to be lame and boring. I need a proper motivation. That's why I sort of prefer sieges and battlegrounds.

Additionally, a clan war would be proper motivation but it's simply from a game play point of view. If it starts becoming too personal then that's an issue.

ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited June 2019
    Not realm vs. realm but unprovoked murdered another player in a game that allowed you to player kill.  

Yep. First time was in early Ultima Online, 97-98'ish. I've always been the chivalrous rpg'r but thought I would try out the dark side. Made a new toon as to not tarnish my noble character, and lured a newbie out to the woods under the guise of helping him. After getting him out there I killed him. It felt bad.....real bad lol. Never did it again outside of faction pvp. Instead I joined Defenders of Justice on Catskills and became a PK hunter. Those kills don't count imo lol. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Nanfoodle said:
    I get the feeling he has an agenda and is leading the respondents.
    AlBQuirkyAllerleirauh

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited June 2019
    Horusra said:
    Murder is a legal term for unlawful killing.  Is there a law in the game that says you can not kill a player?  If not then you have never "murdered" someone in a game.
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics? You and a bunch of other absurd posters questioning the topic. Obviously you never played Ultima Online where if you turned red you were considered a murderer. 

Y'all need to relax. 
    HatefullAdamantine
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited June 2019
    Nanfoodle said:
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  Consider that many times players will kill each other for the realm differentiating it is logical.  

You know, have you killed player for no reason other than loot, malice, boredom or etc?
    Viper482
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited June 2019
    Nanfoodle said:
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  
    I get what you are saying, but if in chess I take your knight and remove it from the board, have I murdered that knight? Seems a tad extreme, rhetorically speaking. 

Maybe ask "has anyone ever ganked a noob?" :)

C'mon, you know you have. Who cried when Old Yeller died?

Roy Batty: "I've done ... questionable things."
    Vermillion_RaventhalSovrathAlBQuirkyViper482bcbully

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    In MUD i have pk'ed people for questionable reasons (people acting like an arse) but in mmorpg it has always been some RvR or GvG reason behind it even if it wasn't in a strict PvP area. Most mmorpg i played had no exp loss at death, had factions and mutual flagging so that's probably the reason behind it.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nanfoodle said:
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  Consider that many times players will kill each other for the realm differentiating it is logical.  

You know, have you killed player for no reason other than loot, malice, boredom or etc?
    You enter a PvP zone or choose to flag yourself. You are agreeing to a type of play style. Corpse camping or hunting lowbies is a jerk move but if you pick a FFA server or game (((shrugs)))
    AmatheAlBQuirkyCatibrie
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    you guys are all amateurs. 

I Pk'd in diablo 2 hardcore. 

I'd make a PvP character, a lvl 13 dual spear thrower guy, go to a lvl 30+ level, hostile everyone, they'll laugh at me, then i'd go and kill them. 

I used to do it with a lvl 9 pikazon vs lvl 15-18 characters. 

I ruined quite a few many days. Sometimes, they'd come back with high level PvE character, i'd bring in my lvl 40-50 PK character and wreck them. 

However, i've died quite a few times to people hacking and using exploits though in hardcore, those people are retarded. I used other people's hubris against them. 

I killed in EVE too, but my worst loss was i was freighting something over and i had a scout on my other account, last system, i got lazy and didnt' scout, well i was ambushed on my freighter cuz i was dumb and didn't scout even though i had it there. 

I jumped out of my freighter giving them a free freighter lol . . . i had what was coming to me. 
    bcbully
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics? You and a bunch of other absurd posters questioning the topic. Obviously you never played Ultima Online where if you turned red you were considered a murderer. 

Y'all need to relax. 
    Language can be very evocative and the use of the word murder seems extreme.

And then it begs the question "what is the point?" Why does he want to know? Ok great, some of us have engaged in pvp and in some cases unprovoked pvp. Now what?
    alkarionlog

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2019
    Amathe said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    I think I MMORPG murder is more fitting term for killing someone for no reason.  
    I get what you are saying, but if in chess I take your knight and remove it from the board, have I murdered that knight? Seems a tad extreme, rhetorically speaking. 

Maybe ask "has anyone ever ganked a noob?" :)

C'mon, you know you have. Who cried when Old Yeller died?

Roy Batty: "I've done ... questionable things."
    In chess that's a voluntary situation where the two participants are engaged in conflict already. That's not a very good example.

I would, however, agree that murder is a bit of an extreme application in this scenario.

In that, there are some actions a player can take against another player in a PvP enabled environment that could classically be regarded as an act of murder, but within the mechanics and rules of the game does not constitute such.

And as others have noted, it's also the case that many games do have a voluntary barrier to entering PvP, so you have to intentionally put yourself into danger on many occasions.

I know I preferentially would not mind a more involved design around rules of engagement and a more involved "law" system that some games in the past have attempted. The kind of thing where, yes, you can do things, but if you can bring up a moral spectrum and most people would be chagrin to commit that same act in real life, then the game can flag characters for it in some manner.

Like ESO has a simple crime system that as it stands only applies to PvE, as PvP is quarantined off to PvP specific areas. If they opened up PvP to the game world, they could extend that crime system and perhaps improve on it.

The goal here would be to not remove or outright punish/devalue PvP in the game or open world environments, but establishing some conventions to enforce the same principles of "respecting people as people" which is something that sort of gets lost on the internet in general at times.
    Post edited by Limnic on