Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our Conqueror's Blade Review - Attempting to Set a New Standard - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageOur Conqueror's Blade Review - Attempting to Set a New Standard - MMORPG.com

Conquerer’s Blade is a free-to-play tactical Action MMO from developer Booming Games. This interesting array of genres promises a unique mix of player development, PVE story, epic siege combat, open world exploration and resource gathering and open world. With so many different ideas and mechanics mashed together, one has to question how it all plays out in this medieval hack and slash world.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited June 2019
    "it essentially becomes you throwing yourself at the enemy and hoping your health and armor keep you alive longer than your enemy."
    You might be doing it wrong.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/conquerors-blade/reviews/our-conquerors-blade-review-attempting-to-set-a-new-standard-1000000523#MhBRYYJUHQEm373A.99 I would give this game a 7 or an 8 for score 230 hours in and still having fun.
    ReallyAngryFacedruezNephethgastovski1Sojuantieci
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Yea, this game did nothing for me.

Kingdoms Under Fire is so much better than this. Its a shame it never was released in the West.
    Limnicmaskedweasel
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

"it essentially becomes you throwing yourself at the enemy and hoping your health and armor keep you alive longer than your enemy."

You might be doing it wrong.

Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/conquerors-blade/reviews/our-conquerors-blade-review-attempting-to-set-a-new-standard-1000000523#MhBRYYJUHQEm373A.99
    I would give this game a 7 or an 8 for score 230 hours in and still having fun.

I think I'd have to agree on the combat point. I've been playing the dual-bladed class and find myself flanking fights for the surprise attack often. There are certainly times that I'm leading the charge, too. I think the key is being willing to disengage. I'm finding that the better players are the ones who always know which direction to run in order to get out of the fight, and they run at half health if it looks like they're going to lose. I started doing the same and I've found my score going up consistently.

Also, using your units correctly and leveling them up make a much bigger difference than you'd think.

It is clunky and I don't think I disagree with a middling score. I'd give it a little better, but I'm a game-economy guy. I only disagree with the idea that combat is purely tank-and-spank.
    druezmgilbrtsn
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Combat is better than they seemed to delve into, but having played KUF 2 for a time, it's doesn't manage to stack up quite as well as I'd hoped it would.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    THis person never "played" the the game he just "looked" at ...

Clunky, simplistic player combat - false
    Empty open world - false
    Lackluster visuals - false
    Overwhelming progression systems - false
    Nah I have also played the game, the combat is pretty clunky... and the visuals are pretty bad. 

Maybe in open beta it should be a preview, but to pretend it's going to get much better between now and release is just fooling yourself. 

The game, even with you additional weapons, might be a solid 6 at best. 
    druez[Deleted User]Phryantieci

• druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    edited June 2019

Empty open world - false

Nah I have also played the game, the combat is pretty clunky... and the visuals are pretty bad. 

Maybe in open beta it should be a preview, but to pretend it's going to get much better between now and release is just fooling yourself. 

Visuals are bad? Are you kidding me? Maybe your computer isn't up to par. I run this in 4k, you have hundreds of units, heroes and siege equipment blowing stuff up. It looks great. The weather looks great.

Their is so much strategy in this game on how you control your troops. The combat is far from bland. Even 1 on 1 fighting and deathmatch, there are a ton of options.

There are 4 major skills to trigger, combos and you have dodging and blocking.

I can tell by the screen shots, that he didn't put much time into the game by the look of the troops and the armor. The game doesn't start to shine, till later on when all the mechanics are unearthed and work together.

Sorry, MMORPG this may be one of your worst reviews to date.
    rosej90antieci
    druez said:

Empty open world - false

Visuals are bad? Are you kidding me? Maybe your computer isn't up to par. I run this in 4k, you have hundreds of units, heroes and siege equipment blowing stuff up. It looks great. The weather looks great.

Their is so much strategy in this game on how you control your troops. The combat is far from bland. Even 1 on 1 fighting and deathmatch, there are a ton of options.

I can tell by the screen shots, that he didn't put much time into the game by the look of the troops and the armor. The game doesn't start to shine, till later on when all the mechanics are unearthed and work together.

The game isn't nearly as good as you're depicting. I stand by that the review is spot on. 

Yes, the troops are an interesting gimmick, and the combat attempts to be similar to mount and blade with additional skills, but it's clunky and poorly done.  

More units doesn't automatically make the models and visuals good, it just gives you more of them to look at.  The world really does look bland. 

Poor textures, basic armor, there's nothing particularly special about the visuals. 

After playing for several hours, it wasn't worth my time to stick it out and continue. It's great for people that want to put in the time to "get to the good parts" but how much boredom do you have to endure before that boredom becomes fun?  

EpicJohnsonPhryLeFantome

druez said:

Empty open world - false

The game isn't nearly as good as you're depicting. I stand by that the review is spot on. 

Yes, the troops are an interesting gimmick, and the combat attempts to be similar to mount and blade with additional skills, but it's clunky and poorly done.  

More units doesn't automatically make the models and visuals good, it just gives you more of them to look at.  The world really does look bland. 

Poor textures, basic armor, there's nothing particularly special about the visuals. 

After playing for several hours, it wasn't worth my time to stick it out and continue. It's great for people that want to put in the time to "get to the good parts" but how much boredom do you have to endure before that boredom becomes fun?  

maybe because you are reviewing it on a freaking laptop... LOL is the circus intown cause I want a balloon.
    I enjoy the spin, I really do, I know that some people will never get over that what they like and what they think isn't etched in fact.  You say "what classes did you try, what weapons, weapons like X are clunky but..." 

Look, if you have to play a specific class with a specific weapon to get the game to be "good" you've already lost. If you think the game looks so great, post your own screenshots. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you will like the game no matter what I say, and that's great. You should play and enjoy games YOU like, but that doesn't mean that your opinion is factually accurate.

In fact you've already outlined several caveats to your point just in your response. The game is clunky when...  the game looks bland if you play on a laptop... 

Don't sit here and tell me that the game is a treasure when you, yourself, admit its failings.  

You like the game. That is all. It's okay to like a game. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KhorraxPhryCazriel

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Clunky..issues.. I agree with all of that.  My key question is:. Am I having fun?  The answer is that I'm having a great time despite all of these things.  It definitely needs some work, but I'm not looking for the perfect games and I have confidence it will improve.

It's f2p, so it doesn't hurt to try if you're into this type of game.  Go in with reasonable expectations, and I believe it might be something many can enjoy.
    bcbullymaskedweaseldruez

I self identify as a monkey.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    This game is still in beta, correct?
    edited June 2019

thanks for the clarity, it was a troll review.

4 characters / 8 different weapons / level 30 +

Each weapon is different, therefore the feel will be different, not sure how that is a minus, but it is your opinion, every weapon should be made of air so all the movents and stradegies are the same, sounds a lot like wow, but what ever.

Mostr people who understand the shear craziness of getting over 900 player npcs total in 15vs14 will understand that it may get clunky , specifically on a laptop.
    15 x 30 = 450 attacking 14 x 30 = 420 defending
    not seen any game in NA / EU have this level of controllabilty, but hey, it feels clunkt , who gives a crap about facts.
    I have to defend the review a bit on that point.   I would have rated the game higher as I like it, but that's the thing.  What you like is subjective and it always will be.  If you find yourself liking most of the games that I like, then you'd want to pay attention to my reviews because you know you'll probably like it if I did.   The converse is true, too.   If you find yourself liking games that a given reviewer normally doesn't like, or the other way around, then their review is still good information for you.

As @maskedweasel pointed out, a reviewer not liking a game doesn't mean you have to agree with him.  If you like it, that's what matters.

Even with the things I didn't agree with in the article, everything in it is completely fair.  The open world is a little light on content.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not an untrue statement.  It'll also matter more to some people than others.

The combat IS a little clunky.  It doesn't really bother me, but I do find myself unable to dodge at times where I should be able to dodge and I've gotten caught on random terrain when trying to run by it.  There's a lot of missing polish with respect to combat.  Doesn't mean the game sucks, but it's not unfair to point out those issues.

Again, I'm finding myself enjoying the game a fair bit.   I'd probably give it a 7 or so, but that doesn't mean a 5.5 or even a 2 is wrong.  It just means I like something different in my games than whoever gives it the other scores does.  Doesn't even make me right.  It just means that's my opinion for those who care to know what that is.

maskedweaseldruezGdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    Nothing grabbed me when I tried it.  Maybe I'll try again sometime after release, but other games I'm currently playing pulled me back away quickly.  Nothing "hooked" me.

Kudos to them for doing something different, at least.
    maskedweaselRed_Thomas

lol. posts a picture, but picks one of a score screen instead of showing the in-game graphics that were the entire reason for criticizing and posting a screen in the first place.
    maskedweaselPhryantieci
    edited June 2019

4 characters / 8 different weapons / level 30 +

Each weapon is different, therefore the feel will be different, not sure how that is a minus, but it is your opinion, every weapon should be made of air so all the movents and stradegies are the same, sounds a lot like wow, but what ever.

Mostr people who understand the shear craziness of getting over 900 player npcs total in 15vs14 will understand that it may get clunky , specifically on a laptop.

15 x 30 = 450 attacking
    14 x 30 = 420 defending

not seen any game in NA / EU have this level of controllabilty, but hey, it feels clunkt , who gives a crap about facts.

I have to defend the review a bit on that point.   I would have rated the game higher as I like it, but that's the thing.  What you like is subjective and it always will be.  If you find yourself liking most of the games that I like, then you'd want to pay attention to my reviews because you know you'll probably like it if I did.   The converse is true, too.   If you find yourself liking games that a given reviewer normally doesn't like, or the other way around, then their review is still good information for you.

As @maskedweasel pointed out, a reviewer not liking a game doesn't mean you have to agree with him.  If you like it, that's what matters.

Even with the things I didn't agree with in the article, everything in it is completely fair.  The open world is a little light on content.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not an untrue statement.  It'll also matter more to some people than others.

The combat IS a little clunky.  It doesn't really bother me, but I do find myself unable to dodge at times where I should be able to dodge and I've gotten caught on random terrain when trying to run by it.  There's a lot of missing polish with respect to combat.  Doesn't mean the game sucks, but it's not unfair to point out those issues.

Again, I'm finding myself enjoying the game a fair bit.   I'd probably give it a 7 or so, but that doesn't mean a 5.5 or even a 2 is wrong.  It just means I like something different in my games than whoever gives it the other scores does.  Doesn't even make me right.  It just means that's my opinion for those who care to know what that is.

Red look at this line.

There never seems to a balance struck where combat is challenging by manageable. On top of this, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of heavy strategy for player combat, it essentially becomes you throwing yourself at the enemy and hoping your health and armor keep you alive longer than your enemy.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/conquerors-blade/reviews/our-conquerors-blade-review-attempting-to-set-a-new-standard-1000000523#4WfFqv1sxEMBABEg.99

You've played the game a bit, is that a true statement?

I mean if you play a dagger fighter, that is so far from the truth. How you manage your stuns, your stun breaks, your troops, your allies. When does it make sense to send your troops in first, or you go in first. So an archer class is that a true statement? Even as a pole axe is that a true statement?

This review reeks of someone who has about 8 to 10 hours in the game at most. As your level up your character and your troops, the whole dynamic of the game changes. Sorry, this review was poorly done.

The issue I have with reviews on websites like this is that one persons review represents the view of the whole site. This in turn can affect the playerbase of a game.

If I was writing this review, I would of talked about the crappy auction house, the broken spawns for rebels. The terrible server lag over the last week. Those were the major negatives.

But, I'm struggling how you can say the graphics are bland in this game. Compared to what? I really think niche sites like MMORPG, should have the game reviewed by multiple people and provide an aggregate of the score.

As an open beta that just released. I would give this game a solid 8+. If this was a final product, I would give it a 6.5.

But, one thing this game is ..... Very fun.
    EpicJohnsonGdemami
    I don't disagree with you, @druez.  Combat's not quite as strategic as I'd like, but there's a lot there.  I've found that a shield wall with a grapeshot cannon behind them on those urban maps is particularly trollish, for instance...  lol

The thing is, even with incredibly simplistic games, the emergent gameplay can be really diverse and interesting.  That doesn't really invalidate the point that the combat mechanics are simplistic.   In this case, I don't really think they are.   As you said, I'm a double-pig-sticker type in the game, and that creates a much more dynamic fight by definition.  Also,  I've gotten to where I use my troops a little more creatively.

That said and the truth is, though...  If you look at the way most people play the game...  *shrug*  You kind of see some pretty lemming behavior.  lol  I can see how someone might get the game, not really like it, and punch out before they really get to the more complex parts.  Even now, I play maps that just turn into grind-fests because no one is thinking strategically as often as not, though.

Guess the bottom line is that I mostly agree with you, but I have a lot of empathy for folks who write these things (for obvious reasons), and I can really see how someone would play the game and walk away with a similar impression.  I think it's fair to fire off a few counter points, and probably even appreciated.   Just don't think I'd really try to push the reviewer into the fire to the degree that a few folks on the site attempt regularly.  =)

Peace, Love, and Scattershot...

maskedweaselGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    THis is premature, not all weapons are in the game, and still a lot of things to do. Open Beta being reviewed should never happen and would implore mmorpg to scrap the "review" and change it to a preview.
    Total nonsense. They no longer wipe progression and accept money for starter packs and subscriptions, this game is "launched" and deserves to face the harsh light of a full review.

Beta is just a weasel word for "buy our broken, half finished game."
    [Deleted User]bamwalla[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]PhryGdemamikrgwynne

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2019

druez said:

Empty open world - false

maybe because you are reviewing it on a freaking laptop... LOL is the circus intown cause I want a balloon.

I enjoy the spin, I really do, I know that some people will never get over that what they like and what they think isn't etched in fact.  You say "what classes did you try, what weapons, weapons like X are clunky but..." 

Look, if you have to play a specific class with a specific weapon to get the game to be "good" you've already lost. If you think the game looks so great, post your own screenshots. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you will like the game no matter what I say, and that's great. You should play and enjoy games YOU like, but that doesn't mean that your opinion is factually accurate.

In fact you've already outlined several caveats to your point just in your response. The game is clunky when...  the game looks bland if you play on a laptop... 

Don't sit here and tell me that the game is a treasure when you, yourself, admit its failings.  

You like the game. That is all. It's okay to like a game. 

Just for accuracy, Steam reviews are 6/10,  Steam db 43% so I'd say this review agrees with many and falls well within the median.

;)
    Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2019
    Kyleran said:
    THis is premature, not all weapons are in the game, and still a lot of things to do. Open Beta being reviewed should never happen and would implore mmorpg to scrap the "review" and change it to a preview.
    Total nonsense. They no longer wipe progression and accept money for starter packs and subscriptions, this game is "launched" and deserves to face the harsh light of a full review.

This is a 13 -14 day open beta. Every beta I've tested the game was a server wipe.  I agree with your asessment but thaat is only becaus eof the garbage that used the term  in the past 5 years. 

I would imagine this game will have a wipe with a prelaunch early access event for those who did pay. As this is not an "early access" event , but a open beta. I think the last game that did it this way was Vanguard, which did have open beta and server wipe for early access preorders. 

It is weird when something bucks the trend and does things the old fashion way.
    This is a f2p game and every "f2p" games open beta was essentially release did something change somewhere along the lines?

Anyhow I dont really like the hero combat mechanics. Maybe Mordhau devs and CB should collaberate 
    Kyleran said:

Whoa whoa whoa, why you gotta bring weasels into it? 
    Asheram[Deleted User]Phry

Limnic said:
    lol. posts a picture, but picks one of a score screen instead of showing the in-game graphics that were the entire reason for criticizing and posting a screen in the first place.
    what do grpahics have tdo with winning ? 

If I wanted top notch graphics, I'd log into Black Desert.
    Right my mistake, that entire train of dialogue of you trying to defend the game's graphics while ranting at Weasel doesn't exist.

Also, can't tell if this comment of yours is just forgetful, or admission it's graphics aren't great.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2019
    Asheram said:
    Kyleran said:

This is a 13 -14 day open beta. Every beta I've tested the game was a server wipe.  I agree with your asessment but thaat is only becaus eof the garbage that used the term  in the past 5 years. 

I would imagine this game will have a wipe with a prelaunch early access event for those who did pay. As this is not an "early access" event , but a open beta. I think the last game that did it this way was Vanguard, which did have open beta and server wipe for early access preorders. 

This is a f2p game and every "f2p" games open beta was essentially release did something change somewhere along the lines?

Anyhow I dont really like the hero combat mechanics. Maybe Mordhau devs and CB should collaberate 
    Yet you and others are faulting CB for using the terms traditionally instead of the weasel way. IMHO, that on you guys, not them.
    I never faulted it about using any terms, I merely stated I dont care for the combat mechanics and said nothing about weasels

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    Kyleran said:

Nah, that was the last wipe.  While they call it an open beta, the more appropriate term for it is soft launch.  It's why the founder's packs have been swapped out for the collector's edition packs on their websites.
    Kyleran said:

Just for accuracy, Steam reviews are 6/10,  Steam db 43% so I'd say this review agrees with many and falls well within the median.

;)
    Not sure that's as great a point as it might appear.  I see Steam games rated well below their average review pretty often.  I've also found that a lot of games I've really liked where pushed way down by band-wagon haters.  There are a fair number of low Steam-rated games in my library that have a lot of time on them.

I think it's a good quick measure of whether you should look deeper into a game or not, but you have to also take it with a grain of salt.  In fact, games that try new mechanics like this are often the ones that get more criticism, so this is probably an example of a game that's rated lower than it should be.

Again, if you like it or not is all that matters.   These scores, no matter where they come from, are totally subjective.   If you're like me and enjoy some of the more atypical games, you'll find that what you like often goes against the crowd.
    Asheram
    If you read the negative steam reviews, they are more about "pay to win", or items only being available on one character. Or the other biggy server lag. Not the issues that were mentioned in this review.
    Limnic said:
    Limnic said:
    what do grpahics have tdo with winning ? 

If I wanted top notch graphics, I'd log into Black Desert.
    Right my mistake, that entire train of dialogue of you trying to defend the game's graphics while ranting at Weasel doesn't exist.

Also, can't tell if this comment of yours is just forgetful, or admission it's graphics aren't great.
    I played-
    Way to avoid the topic dude. You didn't address the thing you quoted once with that tangent.