Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Max Level

13»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,860
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:
    I've never played a game that was so good it was worth giving up all other games.
    That statement reflects more on how you are wired rather than an indicator of game quality.

How players are wired is an indication of game quality.  Everyone plays based on subjective evaluations of the games they play.  Indeed games use this to attract and keep players.  Target audience.
    That's like saying all RTS are bad because you don't like RTS. That's not true because there are poorly made and great RTS out there. That's why subjective evaluation is a false way to determine the quality of a game.
    It depends on your goal I suppose.  My goal is fun and enjoyment, that's a subjective experience.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,377
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:
    I've never played a game that was so good it was worth giving up all other games.
    That statement reflects more on how you are wired rather than an indicator of game quality.

How players are wired is an indication of game quality.  Everyone plays based on subjective evaluations of the games they play.  Indeed games use this to attract and keep players.  Target audience.
    That's like saying all RTS are bad because you don't like RTS. That's not true because there are poorly made and great RTS out there. That's why subjective evaluation is a false way to determine the quality of a game.
    It depends on your goal I suppose.  My goal is fun and enjoyment, that's a subjective experience.
    Which has nothing to do with game quality.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,471
    And yes that was a strong element of everquest -- levels after the level cap.  The other thing was that AA levels varied tremendously in strength.  There were ones you would want even before you capped, ones that were excellent, ones that were good, ones that were conditionally good, etc.  Hence it was a diminishing returns system as you ran out of very good options. 

It is jarring in games where you hit the maximum level and then exp is completely useless with nothing in return for it. 

The modern game loot endgame actually tends to be a gated channel.  You need X gear to do Y dungeon then Y gear to to Z dungeon, BUT you have no choice in gear.  It isn't like there are 20 choices of what you want to use as a helmet -- the rating 450 helmet for your class is X.  If you used to play with a somewhat different style earlier, you are forced into that particular item -- any gear choice goes away as well.  At level cap minus 10 you might have dpsish tank gear or more hitpoints vs armor or whatever -- at level cap plus 4 dungeons you are the same as any other tank of that gearscore.
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,219
    The best post-cap system I've encountered was the Alternate Advancement in EQ, where you could work almost endlessly on acquiring various skills and permanent buffs.  It basically resulted in sitting around in a group to grind mobs for XP, but that lead to a lot of socialization, which was the best part of EQ for me.
    Couldn't agree more. You took the words right out of my mouth. The AA system was brilliant, because you were still killing stuff anyways, why not take another journey and get rewarded as you go. 
    Amathe
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 859
    Instead of any 'endgame' I'd like a New Game+ option. After all of the great systems and mechanics to learn thru and master at the current 'endgame' (and there should be a 1000 for starters, ha) I wish there was an option to take your master levels and go create your own planet or continent based on your choices and maybe thru further questing at this new location by you to help shape it the way you want.

Then it would open up for other players to explore/quest/raid/dungeon/craft/discover etc...but through your choices and how you played through shaping your area, it could offer near limitless things for other players to enjoy.

Some places would have some unique crafting materials based on the biomes that your place has, and unique flora/fauna for hunting/crafting.

Your place may have different gravity, through your choices actions/consequences, and that would impact gameplay different ways as well.

Some places would be like the FFA Wild West, and others would be like carebear central, depending on how you shaped your area using your master level skills, questing, choices, etc... and all should offer players something unique to discover.

Too big?

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

Dream big.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member RarePosts: 3,513
    edited June 4
    I want to build my Mage Tower on a mountain peak in the wilderness, where even MOBs can damage it if they have the intelligence to try.

I want to place Magical Wards inside and out.
    I want Magical Explosive Traps, Summoning Wards, Soul Trapping Mirrors, Trap Doors that drop into a prison cell, arrow shooting traps, the works.

I want a short road that leads from the front door to a large gate at the front end of the road.
    And I want to place a Magical Mouth on the front gate that says:
    "All Who Enter Shall Soon Be Bones."
    I also want a Magical Mouth on the door of the Tower that says:
    "Do Not Fear, It Will Do Ye No Good."

And I want to decorate my Mage Tower with all sorts of art and relics from around the game world. Marble floors. Reliefs carved in the walls. Statuary, gardens, pools and fountains, a large library, portraits, tapestries, maps.

I want an Aerie on the top of my Mage Tower for my Gryphon steed.
    I want to hire NPCs that carry out mundane tasks, including repairs in case of damage and feeding my steed.
    I want a third floor balcony from which I can transform into an eagle to fly out into the world.

I want an ornately decorated Hall with a large Hearth with which to entertain my guests.

I want a crystal ball with which I can skry the world with from the comfort of my Mage Tower.

I want all of this to take much time, vast resources, and great effort so that few others like it can exist in the game world.

Oh! I also want another hit of whatever I'm having so I can keep dreaming.
    Vermillion_RaventhalSteelhelm

Once upon a time....

I want to build my Mage Tower on a mountain peak in the wilderness, where even MOBs can damage it if they have the intelligence to try.

I want Magical Explosive Traps, Summoning Wards, Soul Trapping Mirrors, Trap Doors that drop into a prison cell, arrow shooting traps, the works.

I want a short road that leads from the front door to a large gate at the front end of the road.

And I want to decorate my Mage Tower with all sorts of art and relics from around the game world. Marble floors. Reliefs carved in the walls. Statuary, gardens, pools and fountains, a large library, portraits, tapestries, maps.

I want to hire NPCs that carry out mundane tasks, including repairs in case of damage and feeding my steed.
    I want a third floor balcony from which I can transform into an eagle to fly out into the world.

I want an ornately decorated Hall with a large Hearth with which to entertain my guests.

I want a crystal ball with which I can skry the world with from the comfort of my Mage Tower.

I want all of this to take much time, vast resources, and great effort so that few others like it can exist in the game world.

You might be confusing this dream with heaven...

;)
    AmarantharVermillion_RaventhalSteelhelm

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,944

Hopefully with AI we can get there with some brilliant procedural content.  Being able run a game world all over with believability would be awesome.  Even in development.  I would love to have an AI program what I am describing into code.  Would be boon for game and this genre especially.

Amaranthar
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 330
    MMOs are all about the world, or should be imo. I'll keep playing, even if my stats are stacked, if the world is engaging.
    maybe there's housing, collecting trophies, community events, world pvp(this can have so many aspects: bounty hunting, territory warfare, mercenary work, banditry, crusades etc) etc
    Vermillion_RaventhalAlBQuirkyAmatheAmaranthar
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757

This sounds like a Tower Defense Game, like.. Umm.. Orcs Must Die.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,860
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:

Game quality from who's perspective?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited June 5
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:

Well we could get into quite a discussion about meeting established standards and what not, but I think this comment from an article I largely disagree with makes my point. 

"Everyone knows that consumers define quality of video games. However, gamers have twisted this to mean their individual tastes define quality."

To which he is definitely correct, at least on this one thing.  Otherwise he's terribly confused over believing popularity is always synonymous with quality.

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/who-defines-quality-in-video-games/

Ungood

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,027
    Kyleran said:
    Well we could get into quite a discussion about meeting established standards and what not, but I think this comment from an article I largely disagree with makes my point. 

"Everyone knows that consumers define quality of video games. However, gamers have twisted this to mean their individual tastes define quality."

Maybe it's a little like the quality of prison food? Prisoners are served the worst meals they can be served without causing a prison riot. So in a sense their behavior affects what food they get. But that doesn't mean they get what they want. It's still not a pizza and a six pack of beer.
    Octagon7711Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,523
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:

The industry and it's consumers, maybe? Not just any one individual?

To use this site's own example, are MMOs dead? Of terrible "quality?" It sure sounds that way from many posters. Just because a person doesn't "like/enjoy" a game has no bearing on its quality. Quality can actually be measured.

I have no "taste" for caviar, but I hear the best quality comes from "somewhere." Doesn't mean my own personal dislike of fish eggs means there is no "quality" to them at all.
    GdemamiUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:

The industry and it's consumers, maybe? Not just any one individual?

To use this site's own example, are MMOs dead? Of terrible "quality?" It sure sounds that way from many posters. Just because a person doesn't "like/enjoy" a game has no bearing on its quality. Quality can actually be measured.

I have no "taste" for caviar, but I hear the best quality comes from "somewhere." Doesn't mean my own personal dislike of fish eggs means there is no "quality" to them at all.
    No, fish eggs are just gross, but I understand what you mean.

I'm sure caviar aficionados can reel off a number of quantifiable measures by which to measure overall quality,  along some which are very subjective.

Same with games, so many factors can be objectively measured to determine a quality product or not.

I enjoy playing FO76, but in no way is that any indicator of its quality, which few would rationally argue is good, especially back at launch. 

Even if the game sold a million copies, such popularity doesn't reflect on its overall quality, there are definitely better games which have sold far less.

SteelhelmUngoodAlBQuirky

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:
    Kyleran said:

Depends on the kind of Quality you are talking about.

There are basically two kinds of "Quality" in this situation.

The first is: Non-Subjective Quality.

This is mainly the mechanical part of the game, and this is not subjective, either things are working correctly or they are not, it is that simple.

Things like bugs, and other mechanical issues are not up for "Subjective Quality". Even if a bug or glitch in the game is advantageous to you, or something adds up wrong to and provides you a power boost, it is still something wrong with the way the game is working, and this lowers the overall quality of the game, even if.. you really 'like' that mistake.

It's actually worse if you like a bug, because at some point it might get fixed. 

But this is really, the mechanics of the game. Do things work, and do they work together.

The Second is: Subjective Quality.

Typically, this is graphics or the way something is done. IE: The combat is boring and uninspired, the mounts are the same kind of mounts you can get in any game, but the models are sexy AF.

Now, in a sense of irony, this is not quality, but presentation. You could have a perfectly working game, where everything was running smoothly and as intended, but because a player does not like the graphics, or thinks the systems are too simple, or too complex, they call the game overall low quality, when it is simply not their flavor to them.

Or put another way, it is like looking at two paintings, both use the quality materials, the same canvas, paint, brushes, etc, so they are made with the same quality materials, but now it is purely a matter of the subject matter drawn and the skill of artist to create the rendition.

Most gamers apply the artistic aspect of a game, graphics, animation, bloom effects, etc, for the Quality of it.

But, overall, if you were say "Who decides what is the quality?"

That depends on which quality you are talking about. The game functioning correctly, where all the features work as intended, and all the mechanics align and interact is not subjective, it looking like some generic anime knock off with clunky combat and way too many panty shots, is subjective.
    AlBQuirkyKyleranGdemami
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 859
    Instead of Musicians/Music, we need a gaming Bill & Ted to travel to the future to learn game design, and then come back and create the perfect MMORPG for everyone to enjoy.

Gut Out!
    AmatheSteelhelmAlBQuirky

What, me worry?

• ferdiaferdia Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    edited June 10
    Variety is what I want, and I really like some of the ideas thrown out in this thread (if it looks familiar yes i repeated your suggestion) I dont see why these individual ideas should be limited to a single game, i.e. throw all the ideas into a single game.

1. I want different Races to have different leveling speeds and different max level caps.
    2. I want seasonal play for certain Races, with the ability to inherit items from the previous seasons/retain currency. Obviously seasonal races will have the fastest leveling speed (but it will not be 1-100 in 1 day/week/month) and there should be a global monthly playtime limit to both level the playing field (we are not all 7) and hinder botting.
    3. I want certain Races, or classes within the seasonal races, not to be affected by seasonal play >> the season is forever for them).
    4. I want seasonal players to be uniquely rewarded for their seasonal play (noting they have a level cap)
    5. We have diversity in the races in our games but the characters are fundamentally geared the same. I want this to be more varied, from certain classes having 10 ring slots along with everything else to other classes that have standard item slots to other classes with NO item slots, with a different system of "item" progression.
    6. Certain Races/Classes not to even engage in PvP or PvM and have a different leveling mechanic.
    7. I want a variety of group sizes specific content Quest / Raids / Global quest party of 2/4/6/8/10/20/50/100/1000/10000??
    8. I want world events - Wall/Village/Bridge/Watchtower/Town/Fortress/World event Building, permanent changes to the game. In ingame clock of years gone by (seasons) and progression.
    9. Player ability to discover minerals/advance culture etc to transform the landscape.
    10. I want Tekken sideways movement with SF 3rd strike Parry System in an open world (block/combinations/counters/parry's/supers/super supers/throws/throw combo's.
    11. I want a Tier System for certain classes, based on skill, which unlocks your max combination ability
    12. I want elective mode where players hack and slash using Automatic mode whereas the more difficult Manual mode includes additional actions to allow skill to make you consider harder content. This can also apply to the games within the game for thoses classes/races that dont pvp/pvm.
    13. I want a single game that will dominate for years, with years of content and support
    14. I want Annual world competitions (PVP where the top %, AT LEVEL BRACKETS, face off).
    15. I want Annual world competitions in the minigames within the game where the top % face off.
    16. I want Annual world competitions (PVM where the servers each start a mass Quests/Raids at the same time and seek to complete it first, with ingame or other rewards for placement).
    17. I want games within games, enough room for men and women, young and old. i.e. for all types of players. there should be no one way to the top, there should be many.
    18. I want Diablo 2 item system, but additional depth to item types (i.e. more) and crafting.
    19. I want crafting rewards to be exp & skill-based with support on how to improve exp &skill. not a simple click and made. Find the ingredients in the Quest/Raid, improve your crafting abilities (skill based) and make items based on how well you played the crafting "game within the game" this.
    20. A thriving economy ingame.

pretty sure i left out over 9000 other things but you get the idea. Journey before Destination. oh, almost forgot, I also want an Elo rating system for PvP and the games within the game. and ladders for every option within the game, showing the entire server population and were you stand based on the activity you are comparing the server population against.
    Steelhelm
    edited June 10
    Gutlard said:
    Instead of Musicians/Music, we need a gaming Bill & Ted to travel to the future to learn game design, and then come back and create the perfect MMORPG for everyone to enjoy.

Gut Out!
    I actually tried this, but some chick with really severe daddy issues blew up the moon, destroying the world and left me trapped in time for 40 years, came back as a cranky old cat......sucked.

(Umbrella Academy reference)

;)
    AlBQuirky

• Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33
    It never happens - but if MMO's could have something like "modules" from Neverwinter Nights - approved by developers of course - we could have a lot of great stories from community which could expand the lore of games and give us reason to stay there for much-much longer
  • Nelson-zbitNelson-zbit Newbie CommonPosts: 26
    Gain advanced equipment via challenge epic boss, finish the branch plot of the game,eth.