Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Players Can Help Test Alterac Valley This Weekend in World of Warcraft Classic - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBeta Players Can Help Test Alterac Valley This Weekend in World of Warcraft Classic - MMORPG.com

The World of Warcraft Classic team is ready to put Alterac Valley through its paces. On Friday, June 14th, a new Classic Beta realm will be opened specifically for Alterac Valley. Players will need to log into the Field of Strife realm to take part and will be able to create a level 58 character for the purpose of testing. All other realms will be turned off while the test is underway.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    In original Alterac valley matches lasted from 4 to 12 hours (6-8 hours average). It was immensely fun - even though I've played through satellite dish with 2000ms ping.

I wonder - what would be a public's reaction today if 8 hours long matches were the case?
    JeffSpicoliJamesGoblinStoneRosesBlueThunderBearretiredmjKalafax

Thank you for your time!

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Alterac valley would be the only reason i even play classic. i had alot of fun in it.
    JamesGoblinKalafaxArskaaa
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    The 14th to the 17th.....if this will be like old AV, the first AV will just be ending by the 17th....Maybe make the test period 2 weeks.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    This is 1.12 , no extremely long AV matches.
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Is this for hype and marketing rather than actual testing? The battlegrounds won't be open at release will they? I guess if they don't plan on having an open PTR after release I can accept this might be legit but I wonder why they wouldn't.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Anyone who played Classic and loved PVP isn't waiting for Alterac Valley, they are waiting for that sweet Tauren Mill game of cat & mouse open world PVP. Now those were good times
    DropkeWhiteLanternJamesGoblinperrin82Slapshot1188AgeniGaladourn
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Aenghas said:
    Is this for hype and marketing rather than actual testing? The battlegrounds won't be open at release will they? I guess if they don't plan on having an open PTR after release I can accept this might be legit but I wonder why they wouldn't.
    why wouldn't the battlegrounds be open, its level 60 on opening so it will be open, its only the ranks that dont come in until a later date

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Never forget the AV release, went in there first day it dropped, rocking 256MB of ram in my computer, got to mid, turned into a slideshow, next day upgraded to a whole 1GB. Got back home installed the ram, the same AV was still going on.
    WhiteLanternJamesGoblinStoneRoses
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    AV is the entire reason I'm getting into classic. Too bad its bot an earlier version with full npc complement.
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160

3dom said:

In original Alterac valley matches lasted from 4 to 12 hours (6-8 hours average). It was immensely fun - even though I've played through satellite dish with 2000ms ping.

I wonder - what would be a public's reaction today if 8 hours long matches were the case?

It's been awhile but I'm almost certain matches were not lasting 6-8 hours on average. I remember it being closer to around the 2-3 hour timeframe, though even in today's market that would probably be frowned upon
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    My days on Shadowsong putting together premade AV, purposely bottle necking the Alliance so we can could rack up some kills.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Anyone who played Classic and loved PVP isn't waiting for Alterac Valley, they are waiting for that sweet Tauren Mill game of cat & mouse open world PVP. Now those were good times

to each their own, but i thought that was some of the worst pvp i have ever played in a game. just big blobs going back and forth between 2 towns, fighting over nothing. hell i can play guild wars 2 for blob pvp.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Original Alterac Valley could last for days because players wouldn't actually complete the objectives... it only ended when the objectives were complete.  So yes, there were a number of recorded games that did not end for over 24 hours.

Blizzard altered Alter Valley during vanilla, so the latter version in the game was actually easier than the initial release.  The multi-day battles were reduced to hours because of it.

Now, Beta Classic's version isn't either of those two.  The graveyards are placed differently, thus it's not the same scenario.  I would suspect that it will be much faster than even vanilla days... just like the dungeons are also much faster... because they are testing the game with stats that weren't originally in place at release.  Most players didn't start vanilla one week prior to TBC, they started a good year to 2 years earlier... when the code was different, the stats were different, etc.

It's kind of like playing BFA a week before the next expansion hits... THAT version of BFA is entirely different than the one everyone started playing.

Hence it's all apples and oranges no matter how you look at it.
    perrin82jimmywolf
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited June 2019

DrunkWolf said:

just big blobs going back and forth between 2 towns, fighting over nothing.

I think this simply proves that the actual fighting per se was where the fun was!
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Seeing this getting this much attention and people playing this is a perfect example of the insanity that is the gaming world, and the majority of players are truly unfortunate souls addicted to the instant gratification and has lost all grasp of reality and needs serious therapy to maintain sanity and get out of the gaming addiction as fast as possible and rehabilitated into the real world.

Joke aside,

Why would you go 1 step forward and 3 steps back getting fed with a poorly made game instead of demanding a WoW2 or a new blizzard MMORPG, yet u let them feed you off with old scraps, this is the "emperors new clothes" and a true example on the lack of imagination and I foresee dark clouds for the future of MMO of the likes.
    jimmywolf
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Wizbuiz ;

your opinion is fine but your extreme dark outlook is a bit misguided people are looking forward to classic because it a change from the broken new formula that got old. maybe people will get tired of classic in a day, maybe it will live  on for years. it does not mean all future mmo are dam because of it or were regressing into a worse outcome.