Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

e3 2019 has brought no new exciting MMORPG games

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited June 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Seriously, most of what we have seen is expansions to current MMORPGs, or multiplayer survival games that are being called MMORPGs. Back in the early 2000s triple-A MMORPG games with classic RPG mechanics were a big part of the showing at e3, we thought it was the future of games; now R.I.P. the classic MMORPG.

Sad times

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Gdemami

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I think it was always meant to be a niche genre. If it wasn't for World of Warcraft putting a certain level of perceived "omg sexy" and making a compelling social draw, the genre would have remained small.

PhaserlightMadFrenchieEronakis[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would not argue that last statement at all,Square has at least imo been the at the forefront of the rpg scene for a very long time.They have made many that have a lot of feeling and passion in the game,a lot of unique ideas/mechanics as well,so there has at times been some effort to give us something new/unique/interesting,but not always.

Problem for myself is that single player games are just too over done by now,i need to see worlds a live,real players as well as bustling towns with npc's.I also need to see all the mechanics to give the world a realistic feeling,like i am walking through real streets,meeting real people even though npc's.

Can we get the whole package in an open world with no cash shop and longevity in game play,seems a VERY tall order.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Arterius said:
    Can you imagine how chaotic that thread would have been if a AAA MMORPG was being made right now and was announced. I think that would be a hive of scum and villiany. I think most people would shit on it. For either not showing enough or what they did show looked terrible. I think we won't get another AAA MMORPG until the next Final Fantasy MMO. Final Fantasy 17 or 18.  I think Square has said they are starting developing it if I remember correctly
    Yoshida's new game is not quite an mmorpg. Though PvP is involved ;) 
    If its anything like the latest Dissidia I am going to throw up in my mouth, what garbage that was...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    There are so many games now days that people can play their favorite genre nonstop.  I know that if there were even a quarter as many building games there are now, I would have never have bothered to look at Runescape.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Maybe that's because MMORPGs were just never that great to begin with.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited June 2019
    Not really sad times. The industry and the market just left the mmorpg behind. No real interest anymore in a genre that is a huge time and money sink for a developer. That is why the ones that will be made going forward will just be passion projects funded my private investors or crowdfunding. As it should be for a niche genre like this. The risk is too high to lose too much money. The risk of a low ROI is too high. 
    Its back where it started and back to its roots as far as industry and market go , which could be good for the genre imo ...

As Sovrath pointed out above , we all know Wow cause the bloat , and brought in a new generation of gamers , with many console players jumping to Wow and MMOs ,

It would surely fall back to normalcy at some point , which is where we are now ..

Its not nearly as bleak as some would make it seem , there are many games making plenty of money , and as an investor that is always attractive( im heavily invested in most ) , there are good oppurtunities out there ..