Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the $550-$700 gaming PC dead?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
Not that long ago a midrange gaming PC build would pretty much always come in under $700 and and often be around the $600 range.  It looks like the new pricing that we see from Intel, AMD, and Nvidia have all but killed that market.  It is looking like the very low end gaming PC will be $700+ and the top end will be around 2k. 

I don't see this is a good thing at all with especially when you consider the amount of money that is being thrown into streaming gaming. 

For people who have knowledge of fabrication costs, is this price gouging or has cost to produce these products moved up rapidly.  I know RAM was really pricey, but that has normalized recently and I would assume a move to a smaller die would reduce some cost too (AMD). 

Unless I missed something, I don't see a ~$200 GPU on the market that was released in the last few months or is releasing in the next few.  This seems really bad for the midrange gaming market and for people who don't have a 1k to throw a just a PC, never mind the cost of or peripherals. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Gdemami

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I would think it might technically depend upon the type of PC gaming you want to do, as these days you can make a habit out of older games for sure.

@Quizzical and @Ridelynn would be able to give you a better response.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There seem to be two tracks for games. The WoW approach, where you can run the game on an inexpensive machine, and the latest and greatest approach, where you need something modern and powerful. My computer falls between those. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019
    Plenty of GTX 1060s that are cheap. There's no need to replace that as the budget option yet but I'm sure they will eventually.

The 2060 is around 50% faster than the 1060.. you can't expect it be around the same price point. The cards are getting waaaay faster each generation leap now, it's going to cost more but isn't necessarily needed. Other than ray tracing and having a faster card in general, there's no reason to get RTX over GTX in terms of features and a budget card wouldn't handle ray tracing well anyway so what's the point in having it?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Is the $550-$700 gaming PC dead?

I think its called a console these days.
    RidelynnTiller[Deleted User]Truvidien88[Deleted User]
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    a 1060 is a ~3 year old card.  This does not impact me much, but I know it will impact friends of mine.  Going to Best Buy to get a $700 PC with a dedicated GPU seems to be gone.  The GPU market seems to have inflated about ~1.7% over the last few years.

a 1060 came out at $250 and now a 2060 is $370.  A 1080Ti was $700 now a 2080TI is $1200. 

I see this as a terrible thing for PC gaming.  It will only make consoles and streaming more appealing options and that is really bad for PC gamers long term. 

I really hope we see a current gen GPU come out in the $200 range. 
    Gdemami

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    a 1060 is a ~3 year old card.  This does not impact me much, but I know it will impact friends of mine.  Going to Best Buy to get a $700 PC with a dedicated GPU seems to be gone.  The GPU market seems to have inflated about ~1.7% over the last few years.

a 1060 came out at $250 and now a 2060 is $370.  A 1080Ti was $700 now a 2080TI is $1200. 

I see this as a terrible thing for PC gaming.  It will only make consoles and streaming more appealing options and that is really bad for PC gamers long term. 

You're talking like the 10 series GTX is already old and obsolete.. it isn't.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    MMOman101 said:

According to Kano it is...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited June 2019
    My thought:

yes, a budget gaming PC today costs more than it has historically, even accounting for inflation.

i think there are three effects at play.

the first was the mining boom. Prices on GPUs may never entirely recover from that. 

The second would be stagnation in advancement. Until just recently there has been very little competition in the CPU or GPU space: no external stimulus there to drive down prices or drive up performance

the third would be Rock’s Law: as silicon processes shrink and get faster and more efficient (Moore’s Law), the price goes up exponentially.

i have a skeptic fourth reason in that I think a lot of these vendors price fix as well... but can’t prove that.

you can still put together a decent 1080 gaming rig for around $500 (with an APU), but I would also agree with gervaise1 - at that level you may as well consider a console.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Plenty of GTX 1060s that are cheap. There's no need to replace that as the budget option yet but I'm sure they will eventually.

The 2060 is around 50% faster than the 1060.. you can't expect it be around the same price point. The cards are getting waaaay faster each generation leap now, it's going to cost more but isn't necessarily needed. Other than ray tracing and having a faster card in general, there's no reason to get RTX over GTX in terms of features and a budget card wouldn't handle ray tracing well anyway so what's the point in having it?
    I strongly disagree. The entire point of a new generation was to get more performance for the same price. Or at least it used to be.

That, combined with the fact that recently each generation is not leaping in performance like we saw through the ‘00s.

Leaves me sitting on old tech with no real desire to spend a lot of cash to upgrade for a minimal performance bump.
    MadFrenchieGdemami[Deleted User]
    edited June 2019
    MMOman101 said:

It is not obsolete, but does it make sense to buy a 3 year old card and expect to get ~5 years out of it?  The market needed a new architecture $200 card so that people buying now could get a PC from Best Buy for ~$750 that would allow them to game for 5 years on medium to low settings. 

Not everyone builds their own PC, buys used hardware, and has 1000 bucks to spend on a PC for gaming. 

This does not affect me much, but I have 3 friends looking to get new PCs that were really hoping AMD would put out a Navi card in the 200-250 range, as they have budgets closer to $650.  I just feel bad for them.

--John Ruskin

edited June 2019
    Ridelynn said:

I strongly disagree. The entire point of a new generation was to get more performance for the same price. Or at least it used to be.

That, combined with the fact that recently each generation is not leaping in performance like we saw through the ‘00s.

Leaves me sitting on old tech with no real desire to spend a lot of cash to upgrade for a minimal performance bump.
    Well it sounds like you have a enthusiasts mindset with an average users budget.

What GPU do you, or the OP's friends if that's what we're talking about, have now? I mean you say the jump is minimal each gen now but if you went from something like a 960 to a 1060 it's around a 75% improvement. It's a huge difference. 
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2019
    I thought I could do my newest build cheap, but I went mid-range, and since I needed a new case because my old one had no support for AIO it drove up my cost a bit more. Ended up spending $1100+. Luckily the case I bought was cheaper than the one I bought back in 2010, and it looks better. Only thing I salvaged from old build was the PSU. GPU and SSD had already been upgraded.
    MadFrenchie
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    Tiller said:
    I thought I could do my newest build cheap, but I went mid-range, and since I needed a new case because my old one had no support for AIO it drove up my cost a bit more. Ended up spending $1100+. Luckily the case I bought was cheaper than the one I bought back in 2010, and it looks better. Only thing I salvaged from old build was the PSU. GPU and SSD had already been upgraded.
    What's crazy is I paid for a PC about 3-4 years ago I'm still using today (replaced drives, GPU and added RAM over the years), built and ready to go with monitor...  And paid $1300.  No assembly necessary (I assume by build you meant you built it yourself).

Arterius said:
    My computer has a Nvidia 1060 3gb that I bought about 7 months. So far I can play on High for really anything I can throw at it including newer games. It does have problems with some games and I have scale back to Medium (Witcher 3) but as of right now it does its job. I mean I doubt its going to be able to run Cyberpunk 2077 but I could be wrong on that front. Not that it matters for me anyhow. I can't play FPS games on PC so getting that on PS4 regardless.

My computer was a whopping 1k though when all was said and done. I don't think i will get another gaming pc. If Pantheon is out before I retire this computer then I will downgrade to something cheap that can run it on medium settings. If not then the game is never coming out anyway and I will be console only.
    I reckon the 3GB version is what's going to be the problem with Cyberpunk. I'm expecting a 4GB VRAM minimum requirement.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2019
    GTX 970 launch price $329
    GTX 1060 6GB launch price $279 and being about 10% faster than GTX 970
    GTX 1660 6GB launch price $219 and being about 15% faster than GTX 1060 6GB

Same pattern as usual - $60 off for 10-15% better performance, evil greedy Nvidia and sky is falling...again...

KyleranGorwe
    Gdemami said:

Same pattern as usual - $60 off for 10-15% better performance, evil greedy Nvidia and sky is falling...again...

960 was 199 at launch, not sure why you are using the 970. 

The 1660 is not new architecture.  The 2060 is. The 1660 is really just a refresh.  Not apples to apples at all.  more like apples to elephants.  The 2060 was 350 at launch. 

I think the point is in the past when new architecture was produced we used to see the benefits with out the large price increase.  We are not seeing that now. 

If we are untruthful with ourselves we can justify anything. 

Gdemami[Deleted User]

--John Ruskin

edited June 2019
    MMOman101 said:

...because I am comparing performance/$.

GTX 1660 is new architecture - Turing, same as 20xx .
    Ozmodan
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I would have always viewed any "gaming" PC under $1K as low end, with $1500 to $2500 being more in the mid to higher range.

High end has always been $4K plus most of my life,  now it's even higher, especially in the laptops I buy.
    Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

MMOman101 said:
    Gdemami said:

Big tech evolution that gen. The 1060 is faster than the 970 whereas the 960 was not faster than the 770. 970 is the equivalent previous gen card when it comes to the 1060. 
    Ozmodan
    Gdemami said:
    MMOman101 said:

...because I am comparing performance/$.
    You are not, because you choose the card that was the next step up in performance tier from the previous generation. 
    Gdemami

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    You are not, because you choose the card that was the next step up in performance tier from the previous generation. 

I am. No point arguing that.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019
    Gdemami said:

Yes, but isn't the 1080 the card most high end gamers have wanted the past two years?

How have those card prices trended?

I've been holding off on buying a new laptop waiting for the price to drop, but last I checked they really hadn't come down much.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Gdemami said:
    MMOman101 said:

I am. No point arguing that.
    Not arguing any point, as all you did was compare cards that should not be compared without any context or conclusion. 
    Gdemami

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    Not arguing any point, as all you did was compare cards that should not be compared without any context or conclusion. 
    They absolutely should be compared and context was provided, can't make it any more simpler than I already did....
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    MMOman101 said:
    Unless I missed something, I don't see a ~$200 GPU on the market that was released in the last few months or is releasing in the next few.  This seems really bad for the midrange gaming market and for people who don't have a 1k to throw a just a PC, never mind the cost of or peripherals. 
    Yep, you missed something.  Here you go:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601330988
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601332298
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601323902

There are two major effects that have caused video card prices to seem to rise:

1)  Increasingly powerful integrated GPUs make successors to the cheap, low end GPUs that they used to launch pointless, so they don't exist.
    2)  New process nodes arriving far less frequently allows designing GPUs against far more mature process nodes without them being obsolete.  This makes it possible to build larger, more expensive dies with good yields.

Formerly, a lineup may have had something like a $50 GPU, a $100 GPU, a $200 GPU, a $300 GPU, and a $500 GPU.  Today, they don't bother building the $50 GPU anymore because it would be slower than the integrated GPU that you get for "free", and they don't necessarily bother with the $100 GPU every generation.  But now because the process nodes last so long, they can build a huge $700 GPU and maybe even a $1000 GPU.

But that doesn't mean that today's $1000 GPU is a successor to yesterday's $500 GPU, or that today's $500 GPU is a successor to yesterday's $200 GPU.  Today's $500 GPU is a successor to yesterday's $500 GPU, and today's $200 GPU is a successor to yesterday's $200 GPU.  Today's $1000 GPU had no true predecessor, and yesterday's $50 GPU has no successor.

For example, let's compare AMD's GPUs from the Radeon HD 5000 series to their Global Foundries 14/12 nm lineup of the Radeon RX 400/500 series, plus the Vega cards.

AMD had four GPUs in the Radeon HD 5000 series:
    Cypress:  334 mm^2, $380
    Juniper:  170 mm^2, $160
    Redwood:  104 mm^2, $100
    Cedar:  59 mm^2, $50

In something roughly like their current lineup, they had four GPUs, at least if we ignore the refreshes of Polaris 10 becoming 20 becoming 30 and so forth:
    Vega 10:  486 mm^2, $500
    Polaris 10:  232 mm^2, $240
    Polaris 11:  123 mm^2, $140
    Polaris 12:  101 mm^2, $80

Now let's take the names off of the parts and just sort by die size:
    486 mm^2, $500
    334 mm^2, $380
    232 mm^2, $240
    170 mm^2, $160
    123 mm^2, $140
    104 mm^2, $100
    101 mm^2, $80
    59 mm^2, $50

No obvious outliers there, are there?  Whatever you get, you're paying right around $1 per mm^2.  We're comparing AMD's latest at launch MSRP (the cards can be had for much cheaper today) to a series in which they were renowned for having dropped prices sharply.  And we're also ignoring about seven years worth of inflation.

But it's not AMD's pricing that makes people think the world has gone mad.  It's Nvidia's.  So let's do a similar comparison with Nvidia.  Let's ignore Titan cards across the board, as prices on those are more than a little crazy.

Let's look at their GeForce 600 series cards, interpreted loosely as their lineup from 2012.  They effectively had four GPUs:
    GK110:  561 mm^2, $700
    GK104:  294 mm^2, $500
    GK106:  221 mm^2, $230
    GK107:  118 mm^2, $110

Now let's look at their latest lineup with their Turing cards.  This time, they have five GPU chips:

TU102:  754 mm^2, $1000
    TU104:  545 mm^2, $700
    TU106:  445 mm^2, $500
    TU116:  284 mm^2, $280
    TU117:  200 mm^2, $150

If you look only at the list of prices, it looks like prices have gone way up.  But let's again remove the names and sort by die size:

754 mm^2, $1000
    561 mm^2, $700
    545 mm^2, $700
    445 mm^2, $500
    294 mm^2, $500
    284 mm^2, $280
    221 mm^2, $230
    200 mm^2, $150
    118 mm^2, $110

Again, there aren't really that severe of outliers.  From that list, perhaps the 294 mm^2 GPU for $500 looks pretty steep.  And the 200 mm^2 GPU for $150 looks like the best deal from either list.  Surely that's some evidence of movement, right?

Well, that $500 card where Nvidia is gouging you is a GeForce GTX 680, and that best deal is a GeForce GTX 1650.  If you look only at prices and die sizes, Turing tends to be cheaper than Kepler.  And we're completely ignoring the inflation that happened over the course of several years, too.

I often claim that price tags at retail are inextricably linked to the cost of producing the parts.  Sometimes people scoff at that, wanting instead to compare various series based on model number or whatever.  But cost of production is a big deal, and it has a huge impact on prices.

If you don't want to pay a fortune, they still produce the 200 mm^2 GPU and the 300 mm^2 GPU or whatever.  And they're still faster than the comparably sized GPUs from previous generations.  They might even be cheaper.  Just because they also make some huge dies doesn't mean that the cheaper ones are gone.

The exception is the low end, which really is gone.  We'll never again see another 59 mm^2 discrete GPU die like Cedar.  Then again, the integrated GPU in AMD's Raven Ridge APU probably takes more die space than that.  That's why there's no point in building such a low end discrete GPU anymore.
    GdemamiSovrathTheDarkrayneKyleranMadFrenchieRidelynn