Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas so bad they had to pay a hundred or so streamers to run a special event

2»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Herase said:
    MaxBacon said:
    But continue to ignore that.  It's getting quite hilarious how badly some folks don't mind grabbing the ankles and handing over the lube.
    I will ignore that because devs hyping games is devs hyping games. If you want to go accuse of misrepresentation and such that was the case of NMS not Atlas, NMS directly did not have features and content advertised to be there, what is not the case with Atlas (it's actually the opposite lol).

I saw the trailer, I saw the store game descriptions and all, that is what made me buy it and what set my expectations for it.
    You don't have to dislike the game in its current state to call the devs for trying to convince folks it was in a state it's not.

Liking the game based on what it is now, and being an apologist for shitty dev practices are two different and independent opinions, the former of which is a completely normal opinion, the latter is grabbing the ankles and lube.
    There was no convincing, it says EA, not sure how straight forward they can be.

As Max said, 

"Early Access game from the devs of Ark, built upon Ark and stated as needing multiple years on early access before release"

Regardless what the trailer looked like, to ignore that information, you're just choosing to lie to yourself.

I'll say it again, players need to take some responsibility, they hyped themselves, ignored it's EA, ignored who the devs were, ignored the amount time they said the game would be ready for release, bought the game, and got upset it actually was an EA title and had a shiton of problems.

If they had released the game, no EA, i would 100% be on your side and all the drama would make sense. 

No, they didn't just hype themselves.  I already included a direct quote from the team prior to release where he literally tells people every bit of hype they're throwing is completely justified, trust him, he's actually played the game.  Your ignoring or not knowing about such actions doesn't change what those actions mean.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MaxBacon said:
    You don't have to dislike the game in its current state to call the devs for trying to convince folks it was in a state it's not.

Liking the game based on what it is now, and being an apologist for shitty dev practices are two different and independent opinions, the former of which is a completely normal opinion, the latter is grabbing the ankles and lube.
    That is not relevant. You are on a thread titled "Atlas is so bad..." aren't you so we're talking on the merits of the game itself, not the ones of the developers.

If you want to go down on the devs said this and that rabbit hole then you'd have to find someone else because I little care for it, I care on what the devs are doing rn to solve the initial wave of issues after the EA launch.
    Ends justify the means.  Pretty "take advantage of me" way to look at things, but okay.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    rodarin said:
    The game is bad on multiple levels. Performance is shit. Optimization is trash. Vitamin system overhaul is still stupid. Offline raiding is the worst mechanic ever (they didnt create it they just made it worse), People still falling through ships or floating around when getting onto rafts. Animals glitching on anything they come in contact with then hyper blasting right to you or past you but still hitting you as they can register a hit. Hacks and dupes still rampant. Aimbotting is so obvious its hilarious. A number of items completely out of balance namely fire arrows and grenades which I think have both been 'tweaked' at least twice.

Thats just the list of the stuff devs are directly responsible for.

Then there are the streamers and mega companies (which are streamers) who are basically destroying the gameplay aspect of the game for a majority of the people who arent allied or merged with them. Between offline raiding and wiping bases to just outright griefing guys who are alone or in small groups you get it all with these guys. "But their pirates'. Yeah nice excuse. If this game wanted to be taken seriously there would be huge restriction on that sort of stuff.

But since the official servers are all but dead of anyone not part of a big group the devs dont care. they think these streamers will showcase the game and all the 'improvements' they made.

Which is another thing. These improvements are basically making this Fortnite. Insta building and gathering more or less. Official server is basically like a private server with amped up rates. Once Monday hits it will be even faster.

If they just want people to have ships and (hopefully) fight they should just have NPC handing free ships out all over the  map. Then people wouldnt need the land these mega groups are all claiming in the first place.
    Yet there are 45k people playing it right now which means.........    That your inability to find the game fun because of the reasons stated in your wall of text, means your opinion of the game "bad" is in your collective mind.

There are generally always around 4ok plus people playing.   There are roughly 17k negative reviews.  If your playing the game, you like it REGARDLESS of what your review says.  If you made a negative review but play, then your a hypocrite and your review is misleading.  Since there are more than twice the number of people playing than there are negative reviews, then the MAJORITY of the people like the game.  Simple math.  Most of the people that like games don't bother writing reviews.  Most of the people that don't like a game write a negative review.  Human nature.

Its also VERY vogue these days to collectively bash one of the latest releases, the mob settles on a target, the sheep shuffle over and pile on.  Mob mentality.
    AlmostLancelotKyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    ALL of the developers are using popular streamers to promote their games and sadly not posting as sponsored.

Many of us watched AJoe play some board football game that he was clearly not interested in playing,he spent 15 minutes or more talking on the phone about his next clients games to stream.

He only pushed on i assume to get paid but there was no question he had no interest in the game.

Marketing,good marketing yes,but the law still says you have to post as sponsored otherwise it is a form of misleading viewers that they actually like  and endorse the product.You are broadcasting to a LOT of potential viewers/customers,so you have to be straight forward and honest about the stream.
    The other half of the streamers are only there to get donations/subs,VERY little gaming now a days is about gaming,mostly about $$$ and misleading people.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    goboygo said:
    rodarin said:
    The game is bad on multiple levels. Performance is shit. Optimization is trash. Vitamin system overhaul is still stupid. Offline raiding is the worst mechanic ever (they didnt create it they just made it worse), People still falling through ships or floating around when getting onto rafts. Animals glitching on anything they come in contact with then hyper blasting right to you or past you but still hitting you as they can register a hit. Hacks and dupes still rampant. Aimbotting is so obvious its hilarious. A number of items completely out of balance namely fire arrows and grenades which I think have both been 'tweaked' at least twice.

Thats just the list of the stuff devs are directly responsible for.

Then there are the streamers and mega companies (which are streamers) who are basically destroying the gameplay aspect of the game for a majority of the people who arent allied or merged with them. Between offline raiding and wiping bases to just outright griefing guys who are alone or in small groups you get it all with these guys. "But their pirates'. Yeah nice excuse. If this game wanted to be taken seriously there would be huge restriction on that sort of stuff.

But since the official servers are all but dead of anyone not part of a big group the devs dont care. they think these streamers will showcase the game and all the 'improvements' they made.

Which is another thing. These improvements are basically making this Fortnite. Insta building and gathering more or less. Official server is basically like a private server with amped up rates. Once Monday hits it will be even faster.

If they just want people to have ships and (hopefully) fight they should just have NPC handing free ships out all over the  map. Then people wouldnt need the land these mega groups are all claiming in the first place.
    Yet there are 45k people playing it right now which means.........    That your inability to find the game fun because of the reasons stated in your wall of text, means your opinion of the game "bad" is in your collective mind.

There are generally always around 4ok plus people playing.   There are roughly 17k negative reviews.  If your playing the game, you like it REGARDLESS of what your review says.  If you made a negative review but play, then your a hypocrite and your review is misleading.  Since there are more than twice the number of people playing than there are negative reviews, then the MAJORITY of the people like the game.  Simple math.  Most of the people that like games don't bother writing reviews.  Most of the people that don't like a game write a negative review.  Human nature.

Its also VERY vogue these days to collectively bash one of the latest releases, the mob settles on a target, the sheep shuffle over and pile on.  Mob mentality.
    40K is a complete and utter failure in terms of an actual MMO. They never breached 60K and they have lost roughly 25% of their player base in a week.

They havent gotten to 50K players in 4 days. Theyre peaking right now at around 50K. Thats 4 offical servers and over 2500 unofficial ones accounting for that number.

Its a failure anyway you slice it. But a lot of failures still have a few people playing them. But most of those arent 2 weeks into release. Next week after they make ships even easier to make and people get their galleons pop will drop again. I suspect theyll be looking at around 40K at peak next week.

Its an MMO and a very piss poor one they all lose players even buy to play and free to play ones.

I was gifted the hting. I played 2 hours on a private server and stopped. Then I went and I let a guy sit AFK to see how fast he leveled. I think I had him sitting 5-6 hours he got almost 10 levels. THATS why there are always a lot more people online than there really are I would say half or close to it are AFK leveling. Since time online is the base way levels are gained. So even the population (which is laughable for an 'mmo') is fake because many people are AFK leveling.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    rodarin said:
    Its not really the Chinese. These big streamers who have all united have way more people that that.

Also you cant get over run by 500 people of any nationality. And I suppose the Chinese are smart enough to know that. You cant roll around with more than 50 people and expect to do any sorts of assaults. Out in the middle of the ocean with nothing but ship textures you might get 80 or so before youre slide showing it around.

I am also sure some people are having fun. Its not like its completely devoid of anything to do and there are some things you can do that dont require much effort. PvE stuff and RP stuff. You MIGHT possibly find a smallish clan/company and have a decent PvP battle somewhere where the big zergs havent run them over yet. Or on private servers.

But I guarantee none of you are having as much 'fun' as the guys who have gotten and are still getting paid to play this trainwreck.
    Actually it was more than 500 player zergs thats why the latest patch has capped company number to 500 players. My whole time playing I have only heard people complaining about get rolled over by the chinese. I dont know exactly how it works as I am just a lonely castaway on a lawless island but from what I have heard your whole company can fast travel to a company spawn bed that was strategically placed and something about item duping.
    rodarin
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    For a "BAD" game, I am having a lot of "FUN" ...............and my brother, and my guild, and all the people packed on the server.... lol
    Asheram

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I would understand that since all streamers i have visited (some of which dished the game) but now praise it in 1 hell of a quick u-turn overnight.

However alot only play on private servers since official ones are bad
    Asheram said:
    rodarin said:
    Its not really the Chinese. These big streamers who have all united have way more people that that.

Also you cant get over run by 500 people of any nationality. And I suppose the Chinese are smart enough to know that. You cant roll around with more than 50 people and expect to do any sorts of assaults. Out in the middle of the ocean with nothing but ship textures you might get 80 or so before youre slide showing it around.

I am also sure some people are having fun. Its not like its completely devoid of anything to do and there are some things you can do that dont require much effort. PvE stuff and RP stuff. You MIGHT possibly find a smallish clan/company and have a decent PvP battle somewhere where the big zergs havent run them over yet. Or on private servers.

But I guarantee none of you are having as much 'fun' as the guys who have gotten and are still getting paid to play this trainwreck.
    Actually it was more than 500 player zergs thats why the latest patch has capped company number to 500 players. My whole time playing I have only heard people complaining about get rolled over by the chinese. I dont know exactly how it works as I am just a lonely castaway on a lawless island but from what I have heard your whole company can fast travel to a company spawn bed that was strategically placed and something about item duping.
    The Chinese are just more efficient and better organized I guess. I watch the usual streamers and theyre just a clusterfuck. They go on these nightly 'raids' which usually take 2-4 hours of sitting there getting stuff ready and when they get somewhere they never ever have what they need if anyone has even a modest resistance put up. Thats the insanity of it. These guys think their dozen galleons (they dont use them all obviously) and 50 guys are enough or should be enough to roll over anyone in their way.

Watching them complain yesterday when 20-30 of them were getting trolled by a solo guy was hilarious. All they did was cry because he had two spots he could spawn at and was in an area where the yetis were killing them. Or complaining about why him walking around naked should reset their claiming of his spot. It shows just how stupid these guys are but since theyre 'content' creators and Wildcard is paying them and doing everything they can to appease them I wouldnt be surprised to see changes made that makes it even easier for these guys to zerg shit.

They were discussing why they needed it (after it was obvious they werent going to take it) and some one said they needed the resources....ummm you have literally 200 ships in less than 10 days (I dont count the first couple days since servers were shit) 12 or 15 galleons a few dozen brigs 30 schooners and sloops yet you still 'need' resources. Logic fail on all these guys in every stream.

if they REALLY wanted to try and showcase what his game could be they wouldnt all be in alliances with each other or outright merged together (leaving their subs to fend for themselves) They would be fighting each other. Farlight and Grimmz had a decent alliance going. They could have been opposition to the late crew. Instead farlight merges with them and Grimms hooks up with another streamer who is basically allied with late shift. Its just dumb.

They all sit there and whine about not having anyone to fight or when asked why they keep picking on small crews or solos they say all the big groups are too far away. LOL no theyre not you just merged with them so you wouldnt have to fight them.
    OK I officially hate chinese player lvl 42 kills my hens and runs off doesnt even loot my open air smithy and tannery that I have resources in. RIP Henrietta.
    Cryomatrix
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    They should have saved that money all the videos about the games bugs and other hilarious and sometimes horrendous coding is enough publicity in itself. Why pay streamers when you have a goldmine of videos from the poor suckers who bought the game?
    kitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    To be fair the studio is very small and they had an ambitious task list for their (alpha/beta?) release. It was a full fledged sequel and new game with new features and not simply a reskin. In ark you had sometimes 100 per server max. In this game 1000's of players were playing and the initial lag fest has been getting much better for modern computers. 

I did find it humorous that they said they made the surprised announcement to avoid the hype and then paid those PUBG streamers to play. Of the top 20 streamers on twitch only a couple had actually played ark so once they finally did get in they ran around naked for hours. 

For the many people that enjoyed PVP and ark this was an unbelievable game and worth the heartache of having a poorly handled semi-release.
  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    rodarin said:
    Asheram said:
    rodarin said:

The Chinese are just more efficient and better organized I guess. I watch the usual streamers and theyre just a clusterfuck. They go on these nightly 'raids' which usually take 2-4 hours of sitting there getting stuff ready and when they get somewhere they never ever have what they need if anyone has even a modest resistance put up. Thats the insanity of it. These guys think their dozen galleons (they dont use them all obviously) and 50 guys are enough or should be enough to roll over anyone in their way.

They all sit there and whine about not having anyone to fight or when asked why they keep picking on small crews or solos they say all the big groups are too far away. LOL no theyre not you just merged with them so you wouldnt have to fight them.
    Well it's only a matter of time until the allies turn on each other. People get jealous of that tax rate, etc.

My favorite experience is when we ran into a group. I think they were Chinese if I recall. They said they were just 1 or 2 guys exploring so please leave us alone. Someone broke into their ship and there were 50+ dudes sleeping. The snoring was a giveaway.
    Not sure if this counts as a 'necro' or not but since there hasnt been a single post started about this abortion in six months I didnt think starting one should break the streak. But a six month update...
    https://steamcharts.com/app/834910

But is was predicatable that once streamers stopped getting paid the game would 'die'. But as we have found out seems many 'big' time games have streamers being paid to stream them, and as it turns out Atlas was bought and paid for for a large discount compared to some of the other (in)famous pay to play (and hype) games that have come out recently.

As gamers we might have to revamp a over used term and make it our own. Forget fake news its now fake gaming....

KyleranGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I wonder what all those people who were having "fun" back then are doing these days?

Probably washing socks or something.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Play something you don't like, mention something random and useless a couple times throughout the stream, end up with $20-$1000ish depending. I'd do it too.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    It'd be nice to get paid to play Atlas. As it is, 840 hours in and still having funs.

edited June 2019
    rodarin said:
    Not sure if this counts as a 'necro' or not but since there hasnt been a single post started about this abortion in six months I didnt think starting one should break the streak. But a six month update...

But is was predicatable that once streamers stopped getting paid the game would 'die'. But as we have found out seems many 'big' time games have streamers being paid to stream them, and as it turns out Atlas was bought and paid for for a large discount compared to some of the other (in)famous pay to play (and hype) games that have come out recently.

As gamers we might have to revamp a over used term and make it our own. Forget fake news its now fake gaming....

How can you still be so butthurt over $25 this long after the loss? Spend more money in a movie for worse entertainment these days.
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    DMKano said:
    ARK still has 40K people playing it daily on Steam alone.

With consoles - there are far more ARK players than Atlas players - also ARK is far from perfect but its also a much better game than Atlas (aka ARK dlc Oceans)

Also Atlas is not allowed in China, they have been actively taking down Chinese streams as Atlas is not on the approved list of games.

The way Chinese have been going around it is VPNs from Taiwan which is how they play all the banned games in China like PUBG

Cranky, middle aged man has a good point.
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    MaxBacon said:
    Some people liked the 50 shades movies so it proves to each their own and everyone has a different tolerance for pain and disappointment.
    Atlas has not been disappointing, it's what I expected from it being built upon Ark and its early access release was also not anything to not have expected, the devs have been coping with the launch quite well.

The gap between hate and reality on this title is so ridiculous.

This was the same story with Ark, gets hated sideways yet continues being one of the most played games around, "This game is super bad but I damn gonna play it some more!"
    I've got 6,000+ hours in Ark and I've always wondered why they were paying modders to make mods. When I heard about them actually paying out, I was surprised and praised Wild Card. What Wild Card did with those mods, is make Atlas. Everything you see in Atlas, I kid you not, Everything, is from a mod someone made for Ark.

They changed their studio name so no one knew it was made by the same devs that made Ark. Even though Ark is a great game, nobody likes the devs, and the devs know this. So why not pull all the mods your costumers made you, change your studio name, and throw it all into a randomly generated Ark map and call it a new game? 

They know there's enough dumb people (streamers) to buy it and spread the word, so why not? Pretty genius, if you're a scum bag.
    Gdemami
    Asheram said:
    rodarin said:

How can you still be so butthurt over $25 this long after the loss? Spend more money in a movie for worse entertainment these days.
    I didnt buy it someone gave me a copy and I have maybe 3 hours into it. It was a blatant lie and cash grab probably to help pay off the lawsuit they lost. As someone else said everything in the game is mod created. Just like Most of ARK. But its just evidence of how desperate fools looking for some game that will never ever be released will spend money on crap. 

It actually died out faster than I thought it would. But I guess having to pay for private servers attributed to that.
    Gdemami
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    of course they pay who will play "yet another survival game" ugh
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    rodarin said:

Honestly I expected to see a much lower CCU on the above Steamcharts link when I clicked it.
    An average of 4k+ CCU is surprisingly good for a game with mostly negative reviews. Games with a couple of thousand CCU usually have a MAU of 100k+. I'm really surprised to see ATLAS being in the Steam top 100 in terms of concurrent players. Without knowing the exact MAU it's pretty safe to say that at the very least this title has tens of thousands playing it every month on Steam. If not more than 100k...

I know what ATLAS is and how its launch went and seeing this game still being popular on Steam is interesting to say the least. I'm not a fan of this genre and I have never played ATLAS so I have no idea about the current state of the game in terms of dev support and updates. In fact I haven't heard of ATLAS since January.
  • GasketGasket Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Atlas support/development is terrible, check this out:

Hi, i was playing my pathfinder about 10 minutes ago suddenly i was disconnected from the server, when i went to log back in to my suprise i was logged in and was prompted to create a new pathfinder i have spent alot of time and effort getting to lvl 77 and raising my max level by completing power stones and discoveries.

Changed Status to Closed
    At this time we are unable to provide assistance for this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We will be utilizing the information you have provided to assist us in resolving this problem via technical/development resources.

And people wonder why this game is in decline, top effort.