Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for someone just starting out?

2»

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't use any addons for GW2. Never found the need. I usually leave the Wiki events page open in the background to see what big events are coming up but that's about it (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers).

AugTyr is alright, but it's ugly and functionality for a map completion arrow next to the events tracker is already in the game if you alter a few settings (turn off the story quest arrow indicator, can't remember the exact name of the setting).
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I don't use any addons for GW2. Never found the need. I usually leave the Wiki events page open in the background to see what big events are coming up but that's about it (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers).

AugTyr is alright, but it's ugly and functionality for a map completion arrow next to the events tracker is already in the game if you alter a few settings (turn off the story quest arrow indicator, can't remember the exact name of the setting).
    Pretty much this, for the most part, world/map completion can be done by simply mousing over the icon of what you're missing and in most cases it will light up where it is, as long as you clear the map fog by traveling the entirety of the map. 

edited June 2019
    Asm0deus said:

I have noticed many builds require HoT or PoF.
    They do but you don't need those builds until you get to HoT content really. It's not something to worry about if you're only doing core content and whilst levelling. You can't get the elite specs until you're level 80 anyway.

Just look at what the elite specs are, factor them into what class you want to play and worry about the specifics later if you get to that point.

I'd recommend Ranger as a support class myself. A core spirit ranger is great support and the druid elite spec for ranger is something to aim for and try out later. Druid support is likely the most requested support class for raiding and fractals. The core Ranger has a top tier open world build too (Longbow Beastmastery), which is what I would advise levelling with and just change some utility skills to support ones.

Don't be put off by core class builds that have a lower rating on MetaBattle. All the builds there are good, they wouldn't be on there in the first place if they weren't. The difference between a build rated 5 and one rated 3 is quite minor overall... like 5-10% efficiency. 
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    alkarionlog
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Asm0deus said:
    Not interested in blade and soul, we tried it before and was meh... wasn't our cup o tea, neither was age of wushu, can't stomach the graphics in tree of savior and conquerors blade doesn't seem to be what we are looking for either..tactical warfare.

I played ESO before but didn't like the dungeon system and just got bored with it.  I might revisit it though at some point.
    you know gw2 is kinda a mix of blade and soul and eso right? low number of skills, kinda action combat, with you will be doing dungeons or events most of time and yes ther eis one little thing a lot of content now from living story you need to pay to play it so....
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited June 2019
    Asm0deus said:
    Not interested in blade and soul, we tried it before and was meh... wasn't our cup o tea, neither was age of wushu, can't stomach the graphics in tree of savior and conquerors blade doesn't seem to be what we are looking for either..tactical warfare.

I played ESO before but didn't like the dungeon system and just got bored with it.  I might revisit it though at some point.
    you know gw2 is kinda a mix of blade and soul and eso right? low number of skills, kinda action combat, with you will be doing dungeons or events most of time and yes ther eis one little thing a lot of content now from living story you need to pay to play it so....
    Just couldn't get into it, think I am just burned out on the korean grind and lore stuff. I did however enjoy the lore in guildwars so pretty sure I will be able to get into it in gw2 as well.

Sometimes it's not exactly easy to pinpoint what turned you off a game compared to another tbh.

Right now I am trying to figure out how exactly to experience all the game story, personal story and season stuff works so we can just take out time and fully go through all of it in some kind of decent order.

I read something like this on the gw2 forums:

The full order is:
    Personal Story
    Season 1 recap cutscene
    Season 2
    Heart of Thorns
    Season 3
    Path of Fire

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:

I read something like this on the gw2 forums:

The full order is:
    Personal Story
    Season 1 recap cutscene
    Season 2
    Heart of Thorns
    Season 3
    Path of Fire

There's a story journal on the Hero panel that shows everything in order.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Going to have to look out for GW2 sales and discount codes I think...lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.