Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Eorzea Prospect - Final Fantasy XIV: New Player Struggles - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe Eorzea Prospect - Final Fantasy XIV: New Player Struggles - MMORPG.com

More and more recently I’ve seen posts from both new and prospective players asking similar questions; what makes the game so great? How long does it take? Is this game for me? To be completely honest, the answers are quite subjective to each person.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I wish they would start a fresh server. I am not going to jump into a game that has been going on for years. I will just wait for Wow Classic
    LrdEtriusalkarionlogfoxgirlretiredmjDAOWAcewonkerzBonejoker
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    been thinking try game but there seems to be way too many hotbar skills to use. im lazy and prefer 6-8 max skill use.
    LrdEtriusalkarionlogPhry
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I remember trying this as a new player.....Got my first quest, but decided I wanted to look around a bit....Tried going one way, it wouldnt let me move...Tried another, nope not allowed....Tried a third, nope you can't go there....I absolutely despise games that do this.....SO I went ahead and started the quest, and just hated it....The game was just ridiculous how much it was on rails...uninstalled, total game time less than half an hour.
    Viper482LrdEtriusalkarionlogArskaaaretiredmjtirwenDAOWAcearBishopTokken
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Arskaaa said:
    been thinking try game but there seems to be way too many hotbar skills to use. im lazy and prefer 6-8 max skill use.

I respect your view and what appeals to you....but I hate that players like you have been catered to in this genre.
    moshraalkarionlogArskaaaretiredmjp4ttythep3rf3ctDAOWAcePhryScorchien[Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited June 2019
    The early game is horrible. Unless you are just a FFXIV story nerd I would suggest buying a job and story skip to a later expansion. Plenty of guides to help you learn your job, not hard. Grinding through the early content, turtle slow GCD with few skills, and claustrophobic zones sucks.
    arBishop
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited June 2019

Viper482 said:

Arskaaa said:

I respect your view and what appeals to you....but I hate that players like you have been catered to in this genre.

a middle ground is perfect , i despise mmorpgs that barely have skills (TESO ) but despise Swtor because is bloated with so many skills ugh , more isnt always the answer , and is better to have 2 skill on 60s and 30s than 3 on 120, 90s, and 300s FFXIV as new playes is insane no doubt , i hope SE removes half the fetch quest from MSQ , and add TRUSTS to lower lvl content (dungeons / trials are req in MSQ ) that would made 2.0 more fun , 3.0 isnt that long , nor is 4.0 ... but yeah if u want to catch up ugh , FFXI wasnt that bad , yeah u needed to do some long missions in order to open some stuff , but u could unlock Sky in an evening with help and Dynamis in 2-3 days
  • RenndRennd Member UncommonPosts: 37

vtravi said:

I wish they would start a fresh server. I am not going to jump into a game that has been going on for years. I will just wait for Wow Classic

Fresh start servers are pointless in this game.

The progression in FFXIV works in a way that you never get left behind in gear or anything that matters.
    acidblood
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Rennd said:

vtravi said:

Fresh start servers are pointless in this game.

The progression in FFXIV works in a way that you never get left behind in gear or anything that matters.
    Yeah, but other people have all the shinies already.  They need to make a fresh server for all the people that waited 9 years after release to finally play their game.
    alkarionlogwonkerzPhryarBishop
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Viper482 said:
    The early game is horrible. Unless you are just a FFXIV story nerd I would suggest buying a job and story skip to a later expansion. Plenty of guides to help you learn your job, not hard. Grinding through the early content, turtle slow GCD with few skills, and claustrophobic zones sucks.
    Yep, the first 20-30 levels are DULL. Even the story takes a while to really get going.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• NexeusSNexeusS Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited June 2019
    When I heard about FFXIV in 2014 I was very skeptical about the game and the fact that I I don't like in general eastern MMO's, or any other eastern games. Not very found of these, sorry. Back then I ignored the game moved on with other...so to speak "great" MMO's, until recently (1 year ago) I was burn out from everything and finally decided to try out FFXIV (I though is gonna be another lolipop skirt show). Oh boy, how wrong I was, how wrong!

Even now I am cursing myself and probably not gonna forgive for not trying this amazing game sooner. Also I was fooled by other "negative" reviews about the game and how crap it was. I have very solid experience when it comes to MMORPG; WoW, Rift, GW2, EQ, EQ II, ESO, SWTOR, LoTRO, RS., but nothing will tops FFXIV, at least not for me.

I was so amazed by this game, and everything was so new to me. And that's not just the game, the mechanics, the MUSIC, the crafting? pff... the story? The raids? Everything in this game is a masterpiece. Just the crafting itself in FFXIV beats on all others MMO right now. It's very thoughtful and obligatory. You can actually use even lvl 1 crafted items and feel the difference. That good is the crafting in FFXIV.

About the combat in FFXIV; don't pay attention to the ppl constantly complaining about the combat in FFXIV because the game is adjusted/combat specifically for this engine and wouldn't fit any other way. Can't have fast paced combat in FFXIV because it won't work. While the beginning is slow, but as you level up, and once you reach lvl 50 you'd start feeling the difference.

If guys haven't tried FFXIV, go now. You won't lose anything, or any progress because you can easily catch and be in shape for any content. But be warned; should you decide to dedicate yourself in this MMO can eat up your whole gaming time.

cheers

Edit: While was typing this, the new FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS Launch Trailer came out - US version :smile:

Uruketo
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    The other downer is yes finishing the MSQ is required to move onto the expansion but the fact that the MSQ also forces grouped dungeons on you as part of the MSQ. I'm always nervous how much time it'll take me to get a PUG, etc. to do those dungeons. Not something I can jump in and do if I have a spare 30 minutes typically.
    The other downer is yes finishing the MSQ is required to move onto the expansion but the fact that the MSQ also forces grouped dungeons on you as part of the MSQ. I'm always nervous how much time it'll take me to get a PUG, etc. to do those dungeons. Not something I can jump in and do if I have a spare 30 minutes typically.
    Yeah, you'd be cutting it close if you're DPS.  15min q plus 15 min dungeon.
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

Arskaaa said:

Actually the expansion / update is supposed to rework skills for jobs to reduce some of this.
    Arskaaa
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

moshra said:

What I also did'nt like about this forced grouping is that it's really bad for people who just want to follow the story line. At this point, most party members just want to speed run through the thing.. so you kind of get stuck running behind them (and are expected to have read/watch guides beforehand to not die or cause whipes). I guess it's a good thing that you can rewatch cut scenes at the Inn, but at the same time, it kind of mess up the "flow" of the story telling.

moshra said:

What I also did'nt like about this forced grouping is that it's really bad for people who just want to follow the story line. At this point, most party members just want to speed run through the thing.. so you kind of get stuck running behind them (and are expected to have read/watch guides beforehand to not die or cause whipes). I guess it's a good thing that you can rewatch cut scenes at the Inn, but at the same time, it kind of mess up the "flow" of the story telling.

I agree, that could be a problem for people that want to follow the story line. However, the dungeons won't even start until the cut scene is completed for all characters.  Also, the final MSQ raid for ARR doesn't allow you to skip cut scenes anymore.

They had 2 options, allow people to go into story dungeons solo, or find a way to encourage people to play older dungeons so new people can play the game the way the developers intended.  

blastermaster
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    edited June 2019
    I haven't played since I finished Stormblood, but I *loooooooooooved* maining Redmage. It's so insanely satisfying. I went to level up Astrologer and was missing Redmage so it took forever to get going on Ast. lol.

Now they have Dancer, the single class I have been wanting to play since 2014. Also Viera.

The MSQ is a daunting task to get through, and at times it can be mind-numbingly boring with the amount you have to run back and forth. But finally getting through it so you can craft, or do side-quests or what-have-you is a good feeling of accomplishment. And getting through those boss encounters isn't so hard now, since you can just PUG it and there aren't as many terrible pugs as when the game first came out. The hardest boss fight for me was that end-one in Stormblood, but I'm sure it's gotten easier since people learned how to farm it.

Getting on the server you want might be an issue still, they used to have player caps on the RP servers, like Gilgamesh and... that other one (Bauhamet?). I think Gilgamesh is better anyway.

Oh and the cuts cenese can be sooooooooooooo long. Almost movie quality in length lol.

My biggest gripe is the housing system. It's really good, but the pricing for even the smallest house is ridiculous.
    Their version of transmog is only available when you get to like level 50 and have to finish the ARR msq I think.
    You're stuck wearing clown armour until you're 15 and have finished the first dungeon, then you can use dye pots - not terribly bad, but still.
    The guild hests used to be the primary way to level alts/classes, but now I guess they made side-quests repeatable, and there's that endless dungeon that you can grind ad nauseum.
    Crafting could be better, but at least you can learn all of the professions if you're masochistic enough.
    I do wish there was a way to "forget" or at least hide, classes and crafts you have no intention of leveling up.
    But I love the game, when I get my first paycheck, probably going to buy the expansion. >_>

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited June 2019
    moshra said:

I agree, that could be a problem for people that want to follow the story line. However, the dungeons won't even start until the cut scene is completed for all characters.  Also, the final MSQ raid for ARR doesn't allow you to skip cut scenes anymore.

They had 2 options, allow people to go into story dungeons solo, or find a way to encourage people to play older dungeons so new people can play the game the way the developers intended.  

Interesting! I thought I remembered having to "escape" the cut scene or losing trail of the group (or even get locked behind a gate if they started the boss encounter before I jumped in), but it's probably more that I felt kind of bad taking my time watching it when all other members were waiting on me.   =)

This whole post/conversation is making me want to jump back in though.. (more so since, if I remember correctly, I had done all the steps to finally get into Heavensward when I had to leave it aside..)

foxgirlmoshra
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited June 2019
    moshra said:

Interesting! I thought I remembered having to "escape" the cut scene or losing trail of the group (or even get locked behind a gate if they started the boss encounter before I jumped in), but it's probably more that I felt kind of bad taking my time watching it when all other members were waiting on me.   =)

This whole post/conversation is making me want to jump back in though.. (more so since, if I remember correctly, I had done all the steps to finally get into Heavensward when I had to leave it aside..)

The beginning of the dungeon you cant start without everyone watched the cutscene or skipped it but after that all cutscenes are skipable in dungeons.

Edit: so you can be in the cutscene while others already fighting the boss.

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    I have tried this 3 times and quit 3 times.....always getting bored of grinding through the MSQ. It likely doesn't help I'm not a Final Fantasy weeb and while I'm not annoyed by the story/environment it certainly doesn't do anything to draw those that aren't hardcore fans in. Add in a way too slow GD until near max level and the game becomes downright boring, at least for me.
  • UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I played at launch and the game was awful. When the game was reworked a year later, I was sent an email by SE with a generous offer to try again but never took them up on it. I am kicking myself in the behind for not trying it then. I came back 6 months ago and have been the happiest I can recall ever playing an MMORPG.

The game is simply amazing. It is super immersive. If you are not skipping cut scenes and actually reading dialog, you will find yourself caring about the world of Eorzea. Villages change and NPCs are introduced all by doing quests. Some are MSQ related while others are unlock quests or side quests.

Many see the MSQ as a gate to content. I see it as a way of introducing you to the world, features, and mechanics of the game. I have played games with no gates; you are suddenly in a world where everything is open, and anything is possible. That leads to an overwhelming feeling and no set path of where to go. With FFXIV, you are gradually introduced to everything, so you learn it and are not lost. The only lost people that I have found (friends included) are the ones who skip cutscenes or skip dialog.

There is a ton of optional content as well, which is a blessing and a curse. It is disheartening to have a good group of friends or guildies together and want to go do a dungeon, trial or raid, only to find out that one or more of them have not unlocked said certain non-MSQ dungeons, trials, or raids.

The same gradual content introduction also extends to dungeon and raid mechanics as well. Ever been new and just owned by bosses in games because you didn’t know the mechanics. FFXIV gradually ramps up the difficulty to correspond with the gradual introduction of your class/job abilities. Granted it can get stale if you are doing the same dungeons over and over again. The upside of it, is it gives you the opportunity to teach new players the content.

Long story short, play the game and don’t stress to reach endgame so quick. There is a ton to enjoy on the journey.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I started the game about 6 months ago.  The only thing I've found remotely negative is the MSQ gating.  Mostly because I wanted to main DRK or SAM and felt pressured because of it.  Also, thanks to the way dungeon exp works, my friend and I were over level 60 by the time we we're allowed to enter Heavensward and the 51-60 content.  The level progression flow is completely broken by it.

Other than that it's been a top notch experience and we're constantly trying to decide between current level content and pushing MSQ to unlock new stuff.
  • M0nk3ytal3M0nk3ytal3 Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    Returning player here, started a new character. Played 4 hours a day for a week and finished main story, summoner lvl 51 then swapped to red mage which starts off at lvl 50! The hardest parts were the first few MSQ as it took me around 7 hours to get to the first dungeon, then another 3 or 4 hours to get first mount. Smoith from there until the daunting last 2 dungeons because of so many cutscenes during them. Story is good, but I have been told everything picks up in HW. Please guys dont rush for the new expansion. Learn your class and enjoy the story and the game, find a good FC and make friends. That is ehat the game is all about. If you rush to the end you will 1. Not know what is going on in story 2. Not know how yo play your class 3. Burn yourself out so that when expansion comes you wont even want to play. Last I played I got to the last 2 dungeons and stopped because I had burned out maxing all the crafter gargerer skills and got most of my classes to 30/40 range. My advice is to watch the shadowbringers class update videos and pick and stick to a class and just follow the main story and enjoy. Also note there is stiry content between expansions.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    foxgirl said:

Their version of transmog is only available when you get to like level 50 and have to finish the ARR msq I think.
    You're stuck wearing clown armour until you're 15 and have finished the first dungeon, then you can use dye pots - not terribly bad, but still.
    The guild hests used to be the primary way to level alts/classes, but now I guess they made side-quests repeatable, and there's that endless dungeon that you can grind ad nauseum.
    Crafting could be better, but at least you can learn all of the professions if you're masochistic enough.
    I do wish there was a way to "forget" or at least hide, classes and crafts you have no intention of leveling up.
    But I love the game, when I get my first paycheck, probably going to buy the expansion. >_>

Actually... you unlock dyes and glamours around the same time. They're both level 15 quests from the same NPC in Horizon. So you don't have to look awful until level 50.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Goblin server has "Road to 60" buff right now. Leveling isn't that bad queue for Duty Finder is instant if you are a tank.
  • MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67

Which is one reason why the TRUST system is going the play a huge role in the expansion.

Now if only they can work that for the older content. I doubt it will happen, however, as each individual dungeon is customized for each AI, or rather each AI is customized for each dungeon. Every single encounter has a specific set of instructions for each of the AI members.

During my interview with Yoshi-P I asked him about that, particularly, because sometimes they felt "wonky." His explanation was each AI had specific instructions for every single encounter of every single dungeon in the expansion that the TRUST system is used in. The wonkiness was a limitation of the simply fact that they didn't want the AI to be more efficient than a player, therefore taking players out of the equation.

So much work involved in this area, I doubt it will happen, and he skirted around the question regarding putting it into older content.