Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV Has Reached Over 16M Players Since Launch & Shadowbringers Launch Trailer - MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFinal Fantasy XIV Has Reached Over 16M Players Since Launch & Shadowbringers Launch Trailer - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV is part of today's Square Enix E3 2019 presentation. During the chat by Naoki Yoshida, he revealed that subscriptions are at an all-time high just ahead of Shadowbringers and that the game has reached over 16M players since ARR launched six years ago.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• stebo104stebo104 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Rip Wow and their 12mil max, FF14 has gotten that and passed it by 4mil
    black_isleVexiusxgastovski1
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Wow had 12 million at one time, FFXIV most likely has 16 million total...Quite a difference.
    IeliarRich84black_isleAzaron_NightbladeGreatnessvelimiriusblamo2000gastovski1
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Didn't need numbers, FFXIV is the game that cares about the gamer experience. Blizzard doesn't care about the game or the gamer anymore, they are in cash grab mode at this point. Good riddance, good luck with mobile.
    ScotAzaron_NightbladeVexiusxfoxgirlgastovski1
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Wow had 12 million at one time, FFXIV most likely has 16 million total...Quite a difference.

WoW never had 12 million, that's was a marketing thing. Actually if you take a look a mmo population data right now, FFXIV have more active players than WoW.
    black_islevelimiriusgastovski1
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    A battle between wow and ffixv.... Tells you all about mmo rpg market in the past decade... Dry as a bone, poor as a church mouse, exciting as a grain of sand on a sandy bach... This happens when company executives make games instead of gamers.
    HJ-Navarre

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019

hikaru77 said:

WoW never had 12 million, that's was a marketing thing. Actually if you take a look a mmo population data right now, FFXIV have more active players than WoW.

WoW had 'over' 12 million subscribers in 2010. It's not bullshit or inflated with some trick. It's a fact.

Subscribers was defined as:

"individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards."

There was no marketing bullshit. The only way it's not true is if they were simply flat out lying.. which they weren't because those numbers are tied to their accounts and it would have been illegal.

.. but I don't care about the FFXIV vs WoW thing. Both are very healthy but WoW is on the slow decline at the moment and FFXIV is on the slow rise. Personally, I couldn't stick with FFXIV.. even after getting past the core game quest grind. It's just not for me.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    black_isleSovrath
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Viper482 said:

Didn't need numbers, FFXIV is the game that cares about the gamer experience. Blizzard doesn't care about the game or the gamer anymore, they are in cash grab mode at this point. Good riddance, good luck with mobile.

I wonder kind of "mode" FF14: ARR will be in on its 15th birthday.
  • UnbinoUnbino Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Blizzard sold its soul. Ríp
    Viper482
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    I so wish this was the FF that was getting remade with top notch graphics, will we ever see that done in a MMORPG? Even a graphics makeover would be good, FFIV deserves better graphics.
    ConstantineMerusvelimirius
  • Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Well, congrats to Square Enix
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Such a big "spoiler" about hydelean and zodiark.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Viper482 said:
    Gotta admit, Square does a really good job catering to its playerbase, yeah.
    Viper482

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Scot said:
    I so wish this was the FF that was getting remade with top notch graphics, will we ever see that done in a MMORPG? Even a graphics makeover would be good, FFIV deserves better graphics.
    Final Fantasy with BDO graphics, please :sunglasses:
    Scot

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RunRabbitRunRabbit Newbie CommonPosts: 15
    edited June 2019

stebo104 said:

You qualify as either a parrot or a sheep.
    Vexiusx
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    What about bdo 18.5 mil in half the time ff has been out.But of course what counts is how many players stay with the game and not total accounts created as eso boasts also 13.5 mil
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

hikaru77 said:

WoW had over 12 mil active accounts and that couldn't be a lie because those numbers were for their investors.

The current WoW expansion is really bad, so it's not a surprise if at the moment FF14 have more active players, however that doesn't make FF14 better neither WoW having more subs make it better. It comes down to personal preference, so I don't think it's right to compare them.
    For example I like WoW more than FF14, but at the moment I'm leveling a char on FF14 while I haven't logged in WoW in 1-2 months now.

@Remali total accounts is such a irrelevant number to be honest... I have a level 8 char in ESO, so from those 13.5mil accounts there's at least 1 that played 2 hours and stopped playing the game :D
  • Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited June 2019

Viper482 said:

I'm okay with both but I agree- after last expansions for WoW Blizzard loosing their fanbase pretty fast. And like it wasn't enough - they started that mobile games thing, everyone was like "wut"
    Post edited by Shanky_Shanky on
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    When you understand the saga of the fall and complete rejuvenation of Final Fantasy XIV, I think one may respect people who led the rebuild such as Yoshi.

Congrats Yoshi and all the fine people behind the scenes of this wonderful mmo!

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

stebo104 said:

You must be special, FF has a TOTAL (inactive/active) sub count of 16 million, WoW already reached that milestone in 2008. And now most likely has over 100-200M accounts. FF is afraid to call their active numbers cause no game will EVER match wow's active sub count no matter how good or bad wow does they will always be number one with active subs until it shuts down it's servers.

I'm expecting FF to have around 200-500K active subs while WoW in one of the shittiest expansions still holds over 5+ mil active subs and not to mention that will rise significantly when Classic comes out.
    edited June 2019

Xiaoki said:

Viper482 said:

I wonder kind of "mode" FF14: ARR will be in on its 15th birthday.

I see what you did there, you must think you're pretty clever.

I can tell you this....if they keep treating their product and their customers like they have they will be in a MUCH better place than Blizzard and WoW. You can take that shit to the bank. Blizzard has phoned it in, they tuned out the player base and went rogue. BfA is a trainwreck and they are bleeding subs. Square Enix is doing it right.
    edited June 2019

Vexiusx said:

stebo104 said:

You must be special, FF has a TOTAL (inactive/active) sub count of 16 million, WoW already reached that milestone in 2008. And now most likely has over 100-200M accounts. FF is afraid to call their active numbers cause no game will EVER match wow's active sub count no matter how good or bad wow does they will always be number one with active subs until it shuts down it's servers.

I'm expecting FF to have around 200-500K active subs while WoW in one of the shittiest expansions still holds over 5+ mil active subs and not to mention that will rise significantly when Classic comes out.

Sources now or it didn't happen. Oh, and "Fanboy. 2019. MMORPG.COM" is not a source. I want to see where BfA is holding 5+ million active subs right now. I'll wait. Keep in mind....I have been a WoW fan since BETA. I don't even like FFXIV. I've tried, but it doesn't grab me at all. They treat their customers and their game with respect, Blizzard does not. Keep that in mind while you are defending those pieces of whale dung.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Viper482 said:

I'm okay with both but I agree- after last expansions for WoW Blizzard loosing their fanbase pretty fast. And like it wasn't enough - they started that mobile games thing, everyone was like "wut"
    Wow is almost 16 years old, FFXIV is only 6....Lets see where FFXIV is in 10 more years.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    RunRabbit said:

stebo104 said:

You qualify as either a parrot or a sheep.
    And you qualify as a Rabbit who has done his first post, Welcome to the forums! :)
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited June 2019
    Regardless of the actual number, Yoshi P did say that they have more active subs right now than at any other point in the game's history, of course, its right before an expansion, so people are trying to catch up before it launches, but they do seem to be growing as well.
  • Sommy_N7Sommy_N7 Member CommonPosts: 5
    FFXIV is a nice looking game but if you are a semi or hardcore player , there's nothing to do after you clear the raids. After my group downed the first tier raid in Stormblood , farmed the mount from it and we kinda left the game after. Not gone back to FFXIV since , bit tempted this expansion but it's like WoW , boring after a month.