Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for someone just starting out?

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
Going to finally give this a try with my wife and son, they will be on f2p account and I have a core account from way back that I never really played.

Anyone playing this right now and any advice or tricks, tips, stuff we should know or keep in mind to make out gaming easier?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    don't, there are better games around just try one of then
    botrytisHarikenmaskedweaselmgilbrtsn
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    GW2 cant get much easier for the most part , its a pretty casual experience ,(unless you want to be part of the  top endgame 3% ) that being said if you have not run thru it the 3 of you should have fun
    Octagon7711Asm0deusRidelynn
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited June 2019
    Name one - just don't be snarky.

The easiest way to level is through the PS (Personal Story) and hearts in zone clearing. It is pretty easy BTW.  If you all start in the same zone, say making Human characters, it will be easier to play together. You will find that GW2 is fun as a group.
    Asm0deusalkarionlog

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It is easiest to start off with the same race and pick different classes within that race so everyone can level together as a group.  It's also possible to pick different races then have everyone find their way to a portal so everyone can still level together in the same starter zone.

Enjoy!
    Asm0deusRidelynn

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    botrytis said:
    Name one - just don't be snarky.

The easiest way to level is through the PS (Personal Story) and hearts in zone clearing. It is pretty easy BTW.  If you all start in the same zone, say making Human characters, it will be easier to play together. You will find that GW2 is fun as a group.
    name one? only one?

nah

there is blade and soul, tree of savior, even eso are better,
    there is that revelation, age of wushu if you are ok with pay to win

conquer's blade the newst MMO around now

need more?

gw2 killed they game base years ago forcing people to follow the meta the devs want
    EponyxDamormaskedweaselbcbullyMardukk
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited June 2019
    Not interested in blade and soul, we tried it before and was meh... wasn't our cup o tea, neither was age of wushu, can't stomach the graphics in tree of savior and conquerors blade doesn't seem to be what we are looking for either..tactical warfare.

I played ESO before but didn't like the dungeon system and just got bored with it.  I might revisit it though at some point.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I have used the same 2 word advice since the beginning of MMOs: Kill stuff
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Give the Mesmer class a try. It's a lot of fun. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
     all the class,s are ok, learn to double tap dodge. Explore i found this to be the best part of the game. Get GW2 timers makes it eazy to find meta events  http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/events.php?serverKey=119&langKey=1
    Octagon7711Asm0deus
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Don't rush. There's no need to get to max level quickly. There's also no reason not to either. Just play, don't 'grind'.

Take your time and explore. There's lots of hidden events, puzzles, easter eggs and stuff like that.

Gear upgrades are cheap as anything on the trade post. Make sure you check your gear every 5 levels and upgrade anything you need to from the TP.

Do every event that you notice is near you. You'll need all the Karma in the long run.

If you think you'll stick with the game before getting to max level, buy path of fire as soon as you realise it. You'll get a level 80 boost and can get the account wide mount very quickly by doing the first path of fire story quest. I suggest you make a new character for the boost and go back to your levelling character after doing it, personally, just so you have time to learn your class better over time whilst levelling properly.

The mount is absolutely brilliant to have in the vanilla zones and you wouldn't regret buying PoF early. Mounts in GW2 are not like mounts in other MMOs and are just fun as hell to use.

There's an action combat mode that isn't obvious. There's a keybind to activate it and it basically turns the combat into action combat like TERA or ESO instead of tab target. Since it was introduced, I have always used it. Make sure you try it out and see which you prefer.
    Asm0deusOctagon7711
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Play whatever races you want, don't worry about getting together as there are portals in every main city that will take you to Lion's Arch where you can all meet up.

Just because it is your Personal Story, does not mean you all can't group up for it, and do it together. That also applies to Living Story, group up to get the Achievements. 

You can start crafting at early levels, as it is set up that you can make your gear as you go if you want.

Don't be in a rush to get to "End Game" there is really nothing there anymore.

Octagon7711Ridelynn
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited June 2019
    Err is this accurate, am I reading this right?  Seriously...to use the guild bank and send each other in game mail I would have to give them my cell number/use an app on my cell?

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    That's kinda restrictive.

I take back the Lion's Arch portal advice, and suggest you all start with the same race and just run around together killing stuff.

Trust me, you will know within a few hours if you want to spend the money to no longer have a "free" account.
    Octagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited June 2019
    Asm0deus said:
    Err is this accurate, am I reading this right?  Seriously...to use the guild bank and send each other in game mail I would have to give them my cell number/use an app on my cell?

It won't bother you unless you let it. Just about anything that's worth anything will be bound to you. Sending items to each other will happen once in a blue moon. Like I said before, all levelling stuff is ridiculously cheap on the trading post, literally coppers or maybe a couple of silver. You don't need to send items to each other really.

They did a lengthy blog post explaining why they did this. Basically, loads of new players were getting their accounts stolen a lot after free to play started.. and it was the fault of the players (weak passwords, keyloggers and what not).. so they put in extra protection.
    Another question, I got a HoM portal stone which lets me get to the hall of monuments and I have some decent skins in there I would like to use. 

When I go to the the hero page I am able to put the skins on and see what I look like in the paper doll by simply dragging the skin on the item or by using that drop down menu but when I close the hero page the chnages are not there, my character is still wearing/using the same skins from character creation and not my HoM skins?

Is this level restricted or am I missing something obvious?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Asm0deus said:
    Another question, I got a HoM portal stone which lets me get to the hall of monuments and I have some decent skins in there I would like to use. 

When I go to the the hero page I am able to put the skins on and see what I look like in the paper doll by simply dragging the skin on the item or by using that drop down menu but when I close the hero page the chnages are not there, my character is still wearing/using the same skins from character creation and not my HoM skins?

you've got to use the tab on the side to apply the changes. On the right hand side there is a transmutation button if you have enough charges to change your outfits. 

Asm0deus said:

There's an apply button on the right of the wardrobe screen that you might not be pressing?

The HoM skins are free to change but you need transmutation stones if you're trying to use skins that aren't the HoM ones. You might not have any stones yet but there's lots of ways to get them for free; map completion, login bonuses, absolutely loads from sPvP and WvW reward tracks, changing gold into gems and getting from the store for free.. probably loads more ways I can't remember right now.
    It's also restricted until you get to level 6 and then it's unlocked account-wide, even below level 6.
    Asm0deus
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    GW2 is worth the cost of admission.   Don't use the shortcut to lvl your character FAST.... enjoy the ride and actually PLAY the game (on a populated server).  Game is much better with friends.
    Ridelynn

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The only MMO I still play, due to the freedom and variety of things to do.  Decent combat with the fairly unique combo system and a multitude of different classes and builds to play.  The key being no linear quest hub that everyone runs down in linear order...freedom.
    Alright thanks for the tips, oh btw any good QoL addons that use the api that I should look into?

edited June 2019
    My son will be a warrior
    I will try out elementalist
    My wife would like some kind of support role still looking through to see what she would like, we are looking for something we can try without needing the expacks ftm.

I have noticed many builds require HoT or PoF.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Asm0deus said:
    My son will be a warrior
    I will try out elementalist
    My wife would like some kind of support role still looking through to see what she would like, we are looking for something we can try without needing the expacks ftm.

I have noticed many builds require HoT or PoF.
    base characters can still be good.  Elementalist is more of an advanced class.. it takes a lot of attunement switching and you have to know your skills pretty well.

Guardian is good for support... simple to understand.  Necromancer can be pretty good in support roles too, even vanilla necros can share a good amount of healing in certain circumstances. 

Engineer is also good all around. There's a somewhat viable build for everything. 

edited June 2019
    Any ideas on add ons like AugTyr and radial mounts to look into? 

Would probably like some kind of add on for map exploring and I hear the puzzle jumping can be a real PITA without one.