Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO reached 13.5 million players

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited June 2019
    What does that really mean? "Lifetime" players?

This smacks to me of 13.5 million accounts made.
    KyleranOctagon7711[Deleted User]PhryGaladournConstantineMerusQuarterStackMikehaTemp0
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    What does that really mean? "Lifetime" players?

This smacks to me of 13.5 million accounts made.
    Marketing words of course....
    [Deleted User]gunklacker[Deleted User]PhryGaladournConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yup marketing spin.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]GaladournConstantineMerus

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    it doesn't matter give me number of players actively playing on start of every new expansion and numbers after some months of playing that new expansion....I'm one of those 13.5m but I do not plan to play ESO ever again. Fact is that ESO is actually pretty good compared to other MMO's (which is sad state of MMORPG's if I have to say that ESO is pretty good!)...MMORPG's state is so sad that I'm actually looking forward to WoW vanilla even I know 90% of content
    gunklacker
    Here's the numbers which matter which we'll never get to see.

Number of monthly subscribers 
    How many players this month spent money in the cash shop, and how much on average monthly?
    Daily and monthly concurrent logins 
    New joiners vs those who haven't logged in the past 30 days.
    Average play session 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]PhryConstantineMerus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The numbers need elaboration, but hey, good for them. The more mmorpg players there are, the better.
    gunklacker

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Five years after its release on mobile, the Candy Crush Saga series has received over 2.7 billion downloads. Wheeee!
    Kyleran[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2019
    The key comment is "up 2.5M in the last 12 months".

Which means that as a minimum it sold 2.5M copies of "something" - maybe just a version of the base game or maybe one of the collections.

Which means that if they only get an average of $10 that is $25M.

Which means its in good health and still reaching new players. $25M being enough to keep a good sized team of developers beavering away and pay for the servers.

Needless to say its probably more since the average spend is probably higher than $10; the other 11.5M may have bought expansions / DLC; the optional subscription and how could we forget: the cash shop.

And since they only have 6 servers the population is fine.

Kyleran[Deleted User]Iselin
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:

How many players this month spent money in the cash shop, and how much on average monthly?
    Average play session 

One of the reason nobody posts this is that numbers are much lower than public expects, so it would be a shocker to many.

A 10million active unique monthly total player mmorpg would have around 500k-800k concurrent players on average 

A 120k active user mmo will only have about 10k concurrent players on average.

Average spend per player - yeah you will never see these numbers 
    Yes, I realize the only numbers publically released these days are those which put things in a positive light, like total revenue & profit raked in.

In all fairness, ESOs BTP still I think and as noted they have seen a significant increase in people who at least paid to try it, so not really fair to compare it to F2P titles. 

Also, Zeni did report they are expanding server capacities to handle recent growth so I'm sure we can put them in the category of doing pretty well right now.
    Octagon7711gervaise1

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2019
    A lot of people had multiple accounts because crafting supply space was so tight for the longest.  

WoW and GW2 have been making some questionable decisions lately so I would think a lot of MMORPG players are shifting over to ESO as a lessor evil.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Kyleran said:

Average play session 

ESO have like 500 k active players, now that number probably bigger. Wow as an example, have 1M active players. Less Than FFIXIV and Runescape.  So, ESO is ranked 4.   
    Gdemami
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Big money! Big prizes!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Neo Pets has over 40 mill accts and headed towards 2 trillion visits ...  annnnd ... yea , means nothing
    DMKano said:
    gervaise1 said:
    The key comment is "up 2.5M in the last 12 months".

Which means that as a minimum it sold 2.5M copies of "something" - maybe just a version of the base game or maybe one of the collections.

Which means that if they only get an average of $10 that is $25M.

Which means its in good health and still reaching new players. $25M being enough to keep a good sized team of developers beavering away and pay for the servers.

Needless to say its probably more since the average spend is probably higher than $10; the other 11.5M may have bought expansions / DLC; the optional subscription and how could we forget: the cash shop.

And since they only have 6 servers the population is fine.

25mil annual is sadly not enough to keep ESO running. 

The real money comes from cash shop sales and DLCs.

The price of getting the base game is just an entryway into players wallets.

The thing is ESO makes way more then 25mil a year so it can run comfortably for now.
    Oh I am with you in that Z makes way more than $25M. How much though would be guesswork without in-house knowledge. The $25M figure is simply an absolute minimum simply assuming that all they got was $10 from 2.5M new players!
    hikaru77 said:
    Kyleran said:

Average play session 

ESO have like 500 k active players, now that number probably bigger. Wow as an example, have 1M active players. Less Than FFIXIV and Runescape.  So, ESO is ranked 4.   
    Please share your insight into how you arrived at your 500k figure. Also your insight into Runescale, FFXIV and WoW.

I assume you have allowed for the fact that ESO has no subscription - and as we know games "f2p" games do tend to have more players. (Note ESO is actually b2p but no sub is needed after that).

I assume you have also allowed for ESO being on PC, XBox and PS. 

I suspect that ESO's numbers see huge spikes with expansions, DLC releases and even festivals but I am sure you will expand on this. 

Looking forward to your insight.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It's buy to play right ?

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    hey, I'm one of those 13.5 million players. Played for about a week, quit and never looked back. Go figure...
    Kyleran
    edited June 2019
    kitarad said:
    It's buy to play right ?

Yes. Originally launched with a sub but then went b2p. They introduced an optional sub at the same time but it isn't needed. B2p players get everything an original subscriber got.

Octagon7711
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    13'500'002 Wife and I just started playing tonight. Feels like I gave gone back to Morrowind. Ooo wait =-) We are taking this one slow. 
    Catibrie
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    haven't they had any free trial weekends?

Kyleran
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    ESO 13.5m accounts ff14 16m BDO 18.5 and wow.... it had 100m several years ago wouldn't be surprised if it has 150m now.
    Don't take me for a wow fanboy far from it never liked the game but its obvious who the king of mmos is at least account wise
    Remali said:
    ESO 13.5m accounts ff14 16m BDO 18.5 and wow.... it had 100m several years ago wouldn't be surprised if it has 150m now.
    Don't take me for a wow fanboy far from it never liked the game but its obvious who the king of mmos is at least account wise
    So Runequest then? 
    [Deleted User]azarhal
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Don't know about runequest although I know its pretty big have they released official numbers?
    Should be doing very good from what I hear
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    gervaise1 said:
    Remali said:
    So Runequest then? 

Runequest would be around 0 as a MMORPG....Runescape is F2P where as the ones listed are B2P or B2Sub.