Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phantasy Star Online 2 is Headed to PC and Xbox One in 2020 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imagePhantasy Star Online 2 is Headed to PC and Xbox One in 2020 - MMORPG.com

One of the bigger announcements during the Microsoft Xbox E3 2019 presentation is the news that Phantasy Star Online 2 is FINALLY making the westward journey. The free to play game will be coming with all of its released content to bring it up to par with the Japanese version and it's going to be available in 2020 for both Xbox One and PC complete with cross-play between the two.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This is twitterpatin' news! :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2019
    Everything looks great....except one word..."ACTION" combat,NO THANKS,i do not like action combat or how it is delivered in any rpg.

This seems to be Xbox only anyhow,i am not buying or playing any console games.
    I also notice a bit of deceptive marketing here,the mention of FAIR and FREE to play >>"package"
    Why on earth would you need to throw in the term "package",it is not simple enough to just say FREE/FAIR with a purchase price?
    I get the feeling this is not going to be sold as marketed,i sense there will be some added cash shop but they are avoiding the mention of it right now.
    "COSMETIC" NO p2W yep i can see it coming.
    retiredmjValentinaHidekiNomuraEnzeruVezlin[Deleted User]UnbinoelveoneKlikaealkarionlogand 5 others.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Wizardry said:
    Everything looks great....except one word..."ACTION" combat,NO THANKS,i do not like action combat or how it is delivered in any rpg.

This seems to be Xbox only anyhow,i am not buying or playing any console games.
    I also notice a bit of deceptive marketing here,the mention of FAIR and FREE to play >>"package"
    Why on earth would you need to throw in the term "package",it is not simple enough to just say FREE/FAIR with a purchase price?
    I get the feeling this is not going to be sold as marketed,i sense there will be some added cash shop but they are avoiding the mention of it right now.
    "COSMETIC" NO p2W yep i can see it coming.
    Just FYI, It says, "Phantasy Star Online 2 is Headed to PC and Xbox One in 2020 - MMORPG.com"

So PC too, not just XBox.  
    arbi15retiredmjpsychosiz1[Deleted User]KlikaeTuor7JemAs666
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited June 2019
    It is about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this means that any future Phantasy Star games will also be on Xbox / PC / NA but A LOT sooner!
  • genova2809genova2809 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    after the inter serves closure in 2017 why does they re open it ? its to late ..
  • arbi15arbi15 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    oh wow a 7 year old ps3 mmorpg. the western port happend really fast.
    ValentinaHidekiNomuraScot3domzigalucardCyber_wasteland
  • swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Been waiting for this one, hyped!
    VezlinKlikaezigalucardwarsaber1375
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited June 2019
    While I'm happy that it's finally coming West. I'm also very disappointed. I mean come we asked for this how many years ago? And what about all the events and cross over events that PSO2 had. That got you some pretty nice cosmetic items. (The Nier Automata event comes to mind). We are being given an old game with all the nice things we missed not included? Sort of feels like Blade & Soul again. Where a big window to get the game here while it was popular got closed. Then someone remembered they forgot to reopen it.
    HidekiNomuraVezlinSolancer

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's so bad though....

- Tiny narrow zones akin to hallways
    - Combat that is a much worse version of Dragon Nest
    - Gacha as far as the eye can see
    - RNG Upgrade systems

I tried it very recently, it's crap.
    Reaperman69maskedweasel
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Better late than never.
    Vezlinwarsaber1375swaghole
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    People constantly complain about how "Free to play garbage is ruining MMOs" but then every time a Free to play garbage "MMO" is announced people cant wait to throw money at it.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    I may have actually yelled out loud when I saw this announcement. I gave up on this game years ago ever coming out here lol.
    HidekiNomuraVezlin[Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    I'm more surprised to my reaction to this instead of the news itself. Half of me is like "about damn time" and the other half is "eh, whatever." It honestly feels like they took too long but at the same, looking at the current market, maybe it doesn't matter. The next 'big' thing some people are desperately trying to hype themselves up for is Astellia Online after all....
  • MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I've never heard a concise reason why people are so into this game
    GruugScot
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    I got really excited until I saw the the one phrase that sends me packing... free to play(dual wield credit cards lets just call it what it is). That's a big hell no for me sigh.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Meh. I played PSO2 on the JP server on and off. It's not a bad game, and it can be fun especially when you somehow end up facing 2 bosses at the same time outside of their arena, it can be quite hectic and enjoyable.

That being said, the game doesn't have much going for it. Everything about the game can mostly be described as "it's alright". There's nothing absolutely amazing about the game, whether it's the gameplay or the story.

I'm honestly unsure why SEGA decided to actually invest in an English version, as I doubt they'll be making a lot of money from it. I feel that those who were really interested in the game have already played the JP version with the unofficial EN translation. I just hope that SEGA doesn't decide to screw the EN players who are currently playing the JP version by reinforcing the IP ban once again. :/
    ReizlaMetrobo
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    That was about time after the game has been running for 6 years by now :D Sadly no word about the PS4 version of the game coming to the west, while PlayStation (3 at the time) was one of the first platforms to be released on.

I'm also wondering what'll happen to all the players who're already playing on the JP servers (like me on PS4). Will the already existing servers become world-wide servers or will there be separate JP and Western servers?

About F2P - yes you can play the game completely free, but with limitations (as expected). You need to get a 30-day 'VIP' status (or whatever it's called - never took the time to translate that part with Google Translate on PS4 :p ) and then you can sell items on the auction house and trade with other players. But that's about the only thing that you need 'VIP' for.

As @Annwyn mentioned about a possible IP-ban. I hope not. There is already some sort of IP-ban on PS4 where you can only play the F2P game from a JP account, unless you are using the disk version (I bought imported one from JP 2 years ago).
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    Aori said:
    The reason it was so late is because Sega wanted Sony to translated and port it to the west, Sony declined. Microsoft told them they'd do it. Though, I question why they are doing so now so late into the games life.
    Has nothing to do with Sony.

Sega made a deal with a Chinese distribution company for China and other parts of Asia but Sega couldnt put it out in other regions.

But this way will actually work out in the long run. Bringing it over so late everyone is super hyped to play it, so they will throw a ton of money at the cash shop.

If they had brought it over 6 years everyone would have seen how terrible it is and it would have been forgotten by now.
  • GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I played this game 6years ago on the asian version. It's an alright game but it gets old really fast. Plus, the f2p model that they used back then was terrible. Just hoping the western release doesnt get the same restricted f2p model
    ScotSolancer
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Too old and F2P to boot, doubt it will even hit my radar.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    The messed up part is everyone who cares just plays on ship 02 anyhow.

We're all over here going "Meh".

Mostly because unless they straight ban our IP's most arent moving. At most maybe log in to see the coca cola collab or GM Collab or something most american. (MY money is on a spongebob collab).

All jerkery aside you guys can play it now just to test it.

I mean eventually the US one will get shut down hard as is because that'sa sega.
    It's gross how much investment this game gets from the non jp population. I'm pretty sure over half the accounts they boast are like arkslayer usings westerners .

Been playaing for like 6 years l learned hiragana to play this dumb game so Ima stuck.
    Plus my blazblue collab gear.
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Loved the game but... Too late?

Those of us who would play already have on the jp servers. Many of us have invested time and money too. Not gonna start over... So I'll pass, sadly.

Fond memories of pso2. I was at one of the live in game concerts, it was incredible.
  • MetroboMetrobo Member UncommonPosts: 31
    edited June 2019

Kitsunami said:

Loved the game but... Too late?

Those of us who would play already have on the jp servers. Many of us have invested time and money too. Not gonna start over... So I'll pass, sadly.

Fond memories of pso2. I was at one of the live in game concerts, it was incredible.

I feel ya there. I have been playing the jp servers for years now. Invested tons of time, leveled many classes. The only reason I am willing to do the Western servers is because friends who didn't want to go through the trouble of making a jp account and no more needing to go through the phone app to add AC to account.

-------------------

I see a lot of people complaining about how f2p is scaring them off, but dude its been f2p from the start even on the jp side. It is an actually good game with stuff going on all the time. Great boss fights, corridors aren't as narrow as one might think. Fun combat, if not a little limiting with certain classes. Fun boss fights during the emergency quests. Over all its just a lot of fun.

I don't think i will completely leave behind the jp servers as time investment was a thing and i still play it currently.

My big question is if the west servers be getting the same cross promotional events that the jp servers get. If not that may heavily impact my decision on how often I play.

I hope those who enjoyed playing PSO or PSU give it a try because it is pretty fun with good customization. Literally on jp servers there are no two people alike. Everyone and I mean everyone has unique character and style.

Anyway have fun gaming everybody.

Metro out!
    Solancer
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited June 2019
    PSO2 has been out for years (2012) its not aged well at all this is just a cash grab, what was shown at e3 2019 was just cinematics only not actual gameplay and this will be the 3rd attempt to release it west wards too.
    I played the english translated version of PSO2 and it was really bad and i love PSO.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    It's so bad though....

- Tiny narrow zones akin to hallways
    - Combat that is a much worse version of Dragon Nest
    - Gacha as far as the eye can see
    - RNG Upgrade systems

I tried it very recently, it's crap.
    The sad reality is despite what you wrote I'll still try it. The genre is just that stale right now
    • Aloha Mr Hand !