Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good time to get into FFXIV ?

DysehunterDysehunter Member UncommonPosts: 18
So I played FFXIV the first week of the relaunched realm reborn and was looking at getting back into it, Is now a good time to get back in ? Is the game doing well ? I wouldn't want to get really into it then learn it's going the way of the dodo, Any info is appreciated :-)

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Why did you stop the first time.

Ffxiv is doing good, will take some time to reach lvl 70 

• DysehunterDysehunter Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Arterius said:
    Its doing very well and I would say now is a good time to get back in... Just now that its a slow burn till lvl 40 or so

Cool thank you :)

Dragnelus said:

Honestly had no one to play with, Got kinda lonely.
    Arterius said:
    Its doing very well and I would say now is a good time to get back in... Just now that its a slow burn till lvl 40 or so

Cool thank you :)

Dragnelus said:

Honestly had no one to play with, Got kinda lonely.
    Find a social fc and join some linkshells :)

• MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67
    There is no better time than now.  While the grind for levels is easier, however, you still have a substantial amount of material to grind through with main story quests.  That can time a lot of time from start to finish, but it's worth it!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One of those games I could never really get into.  But everyone enjoy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ChaseFaceChaseFace Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I would honestly say so. It's got lots of grinding and queues like any MMORPG on the market but it sets itself apart with the visuals, soundtrack and sheer character customization, on top of a pretty chill community with lots of stuff to do.

The only thing I'd recommend is buying the MogStation item that lets you catch up with the main storyline. No amount of good story is worth 300+ hours of clicking "accept" and progressing the text boxes.

But honestly the combat is just too much fun, and with all of the unlockables, achievement logs, crafting classes, and gambling at the Gold Saucer, you can try your hand at pretty much anything and it almost feels like a different game. Roll a tank and you'll be able to run any dungeon with basically zero wait time. Roll a gathering class like Miner or Botanist and run around the map gathering items you can sell on the marketboard while listening to podcasts or YouTube videos for a more chill experience.

It's the only MMO I've ever stopped playing once for about a year and then came back to it with ful gusto. Other MMOs had me leaving multiple times but this is the only one to have sunk its fangs into me for as long as it has.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I would say only under two conditions:

1) You like the WoW endgame formula (it follows it 100%).

2) You either don't mind or buy a potion to skip the thousands of (mostly) boring/inane required quests (all content is literally locked behind them).
    [Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    Whats the requirements for the expansion when it comes to catching up on the main quest ? I remember with the last Xpac you had to grind through the story to play the new content. I believe but dont quote me on this there was some pay mechanic where you could bypass that and skip to the new content.

Is the new xpac set up in the same way ?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Whats the requirements for the expansion when it comes to catching up on the main quest ? I remember with the last Xpac you had to grind through the story to play the new content. I believe but dont quote me on this there was some pay mechanic where you could bypass that and skip to the new content.

Is the new xpac set up in the same way ?
    Same deal.  You can buy a potion that brings you up to the newest expansion content.  
    JeffSpicoli
  • thenamesejthenamesej Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Reason why I couldn't get into the game was because the global cooldown on the skills. Just felt like the combat was so slow
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2019
    Reason why I couldn't get into the game was because the global cooldown on the skills. Just felt like the combat was so slow
    Like slow-mo badminton. :|

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RavenswisdomRavenswisdom Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Until you get to higher levels the global cooldown is a killer. When you get all your off the global cooldown abilities and start weaving then it feels more about WoW's speed.
    Ppiper said:
    I am not very good at dungeons and couldn't complete one that was part of the main story line. I stopped at 42 and have never looked back. Also, every White Mage no matter what level looked the same, no diversity. Maybe things have changed...??
    Glamour?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Also thinking of returning.  I played the first 2-3 months after the relaunch but not since.

Wondering if it would be better to just start over entirely or go back to my old character.  I think around level 40 at Monk was my highest class.

Just play it if you feel the urge.

Dont expect to catch up before shb release, just enjoy the game.

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Great time to come back. My wife and I started playing this game about a month ago and I still can't believe how much content it has.

Your main question was whether the game was doing well or going the way of the dodo. I can assure you, it's going strong. Dozens of crowded servers, fully populated newbie areas, and one of the only MMOs that gets a purchase price for the game, AND a monthly subscription. People pay because the game is that good.

Finally, another reason it's a good time to come back is that everything is changing in the new 5.0 expansion coming out July 2. New races, new classes, new level cap, tons more to do.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited June 2019
    Ppiper said:
    I am not very good at dungeons and couldn't complete one that was part of the main story line. I stopped at 42 and have never looked back. Also, every White Mage no matter what level looked the same, no diversity. Maybe things have changed...??
    The diversity of gear and the way they look far surpases any F2P offering I can think of. In those games, the only way to look decent is to pay cash shop money. Beyond that, the glamous system allows you to change your look to anything you desire, regardless of how your gear initially looked. Still, the class gear and leveling gear all look great, imo. 

Here's how the level 70 WHM class gear look on my character.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/807745661116196097/0C5B46AD409570D158EB055D52DAD2C9F05E21D0/

Post edited by Xasapis on
    Xasapis said:
    Ppiper said:
    The diversity of gear and the way they look far surpases any F2P offering I can think of. In those games, the only way to look decent is to pay cash shop money. Beyond that, the glamous system allows you to change your look to anything you desire, regardless of how your gear initially looked. Still, the class gear and leveling gear all look great, imo. 

Here's how the level 70 WHM class gear look on my character.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/807745661116196097/0C5B46AD409570D158EB055D52DAD2C9F05E21D0/

It's far from being the best transmog system, in fact it's one of the worst in games that actually have them.  

That said, it does exist and there are lots of options for looks. 

Just don't expect your character to be different than any other beyond the surface-level glamours.  There is zero specialization/customization of any kind that really matters.  

Now, that might be appealing to you because you don't have to think about it....but it's good to be informed.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited June 2019
    Thinking of coming back too.  I had a bard before.  Not sure If I want to try to remember how to play him, or start from scratch.  Its been awhile.

Do I need to buy any expansion(s)?
    Just to be sure - if I buy the new expac do I get all previous expacs and can play them today?
    Post edited by svann on
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited June 2019
    So I played FFXIV the first week of the relaunched realm reborn and was looking at getting back into it, Is now a good time to get back in ? Is the game doing well ? I wouldn't want to get really into it then learn it's going the way of the dodo, Any info is appreciated :-)
    Tbh, FFXIV is probably the second most successful MMO in the West, with only WoW doing better.
    So yeah, it's definitely doing well! :D
    Not to mention the new expansion going live in less than a month from now.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited June 2019
    Also thinking of returning.  I played the first 2-3 months after the relaunch but not since.

Wondering if it would be better to just start over entirely or go back to my old character.  I think around level 40 at Monk was my highest class.
    Honestly, I'd say get a group of friends together. The 4 of you make a static party.  Can swap between roles and never have to worry too much about leveling.  Plus no need to wait in queue for 4 man dungeons. The larger ones for MSQ might still be a problem.
    ZoeMcCloskey

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Did the same thing. Played at relaunch and just came back after many years.. having a blast.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Roin said:

Honestly, I'd say get a group of friends together. The 4 of you make a static party.  Can swap between roles and never have to worry too much about leveling.  Plus no need to wait in queue for 4 man dungeons. The larger ones for MSQ might still be a problem.
    Thing is, FFXIV is both top heavy and has a healthy population at lower levels by design. Roulettes (bonus runs) are the fastest to pop, but are random. The rest don't deviate much regardless of level. Time of the day does play a role.
    svann said:
    Thinking of coming back too.  I had a bard before.  Not sure If I want to try to remember how to play him, or start from scratch.  Its been awhile.

Do I need to buy any expansion(s)?
    Just to be sure - if I buy the new expac do I get all previous expacs and can play them today?
    I believe they are giving the first expansion for free, but not the second one, not yet at least.
    https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f7e27f26f8e486b0818ff73dd3619f952e266198
  • UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I will echo the others and say it is the perfect time to get back into the game. It is so much better than it was at launch. It's like a new game.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Use code  993N28G3 if you want to try it out. I'll post instructions below. You get a bunch of free stuff like XP boost at low level, free portal travel for like 100 uses and some items to turn in for free gear after you buy the game and sign up for a sub. You have to put that code in before you buy your sub though to get your free stuff.

There is also a promotion on Amazon where if you buy the $19.99 starter edition, you get a free unique mount code too.

1. Register to play FINAL FANTASY XIV.

2. After receiving a message with an enclosed recruitment code, register said code via the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station.

Proceed to the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station

* The recruitment code cannot be entered after a subscription has been established. Please be sure that the recruitment code is entered before then.

3. Purchase a subscription, and continue playing the game to accumulate subscription days which count toward exclusive in-game rewards.