Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QoL (Quality of Life): The Double Edged Sword

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 5,103
    QoL is great so long as it doesn't results in a compromise of the underlying pillars the game is built upon (*cough* LFG *cough*).

Speaking from experience playing CoH, this claim people make about old MMORPGs and having to spam LFG for hours are definitely personal problems for those players.  I can't recall a single time I was logged into CoH that a player arhnd my level didn't advertise they were starting a group of looking for more.  Surprise surprise: the groups I've been in there have spoken more in the short time I've been playing it again than in any of the LFG-made groups I played in WoW.

It's almost like such QoL can literally train players to view other players a certain way, affecting the entire community of the game.  Crazy!

The problem now is, entitlements (in this case, the game finding eligible players to group with and auto-porting you all together), once given, are suicide to then try and take away.  In that sense, QoL are literally Pandora boxes, complete with the temptation to open them.
    Yea, that's the crux. Once given, it'll hurt trying to take it away.
    Vermillion_Raventhal

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,771
    AlBQuirky said:
    QoL is great so long as it doesn't results in a compromise of the underlying pillars the game is built upon (*cough* LFG *cough*).

Speaking from experience playing CoH, this claim people make about old MMORPGs and having to spam LFG for hours are definitely personal problems for those players.  I can't recall a single time I was logged into CoH that a player arhnd my level didn't advertise they were starting a group of looking for more.  Surprise surprise: the groups I've been in there have spoken more in the short time I've been playing it again than in any of the LFG-made groups I played in WoW.

It's almost like such QoL can literally train players to view other players a certain way, affecting the entire community of the game.  Crazy!

The problem now is, entitlements (in this case, the game finding eligible players to group with and auto-porting you all together), once given, are suicide to then try and take away.  In that sense, QoL are literally Pandora boxes, complete with the temptation to open them.
    Yea, that's the crux. Once given, it'll hurt trying to take it away.
    It is like smart phones in real life.  Great QoL item but such culturally altering for the worst in a lot of ways.  No way in hell we would move away from them now.
    AlBQuirkyMadFrenchiekjempff