Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with no leveling

14567810»

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    IMO, if you need +1's all the time to justify playing games instead of playing them for their content and fun, you need to rethink your life.
    KyleranSteelhelmVermillion_RaventhalGdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    jusomdude said:
    IMO, if you need +1's all the time to justify playing games instead of playing them for their content and fun, you need to rethink your life.
    Good thing I don't care what you think about me, then, eh?

Give me those +1's! :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited June 2019
    I like a game like Terraria, where it's tied to gear with health/magic upgrades. Better gear leads to harder boss fights, which leads to better gear. And you can take that gear with you when you roll a new world. I guess the gear has stats that get better though... But that's not leveling right? You find hearts and stars to increase the amount of Health/Magic too, but I wouldn't consider those level.

Yes, I understand Terraria isn't an mmorpg necessarily, but I like the mechanic of that over actual levels maybe.

But again, yes I'm an OASIS fiend, but that make-believe game world had levels that sounded like it took a while to level, and it had gear with stats also, but it also had places where people that didn't want to even get into that part of the game could go and enjoy themselves at Level 1 for life.

There were other places that were FFA, and there were places in between.

Why can't a game have FFA island, and carebear island, and crafting island, and building island, and exploring island? Mechanics can cover all that stuff.

Gut Out!
    AlBQuirky

What, me worry?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    Gutlard said:
    I like a game like Terraria, where it's tied to gear with health/magic upgrades. Better gear leads to harder boss fights, which leads to better gear. And you can take that gear with you when you roll a new world. I guess the gear has stats that get better though... But that's not leveling right? You find hearts and stars to increase the amount of Health/Magic too, but I wouldn't consider those level.

Yes, I understand Terraria isn't an mmorpg necessarily, but I like the mechanic of that over actual levels maybe.

<snip>

Gut Out!
    I've struggled with "character levels" in video games for a long time. My AD&D upbringing helped me gloss over and accept that mechanic. EQ also helped in that NOT everything got better. You got 5 points to spend in the skills you wanted to. It's when a character level equates to automatically improving on skills and abilities the character never used that makes me wonder, "How?"

I am a proponent of abilities and skills leveling as you use them, like UO and other MMORPGs had :)
    GdemamiAmaranthar

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Gutlard said:

But again, yes I'm an OASIS fiend, but that make-believe game world had levels that sounded like it took a while to level, and it had gear with stats also, but it also had places where people that didn't want to even get into that part of the game could go and enjoy themselves at Level 1 for life.

There were other places that were FFA, and there were places in between.

Why can't a game have FFA island, and carebear island, and crafting island, and building island, and exploring island? Mechanics can cover all that stuff.

Gut Out!
    I want a game world that is one big world, where everything affects everything else. I don't want things separated out like that. It just doesn't seem like I'm playing in a world when it's divided up.
    That also applies to the wide power gaps and what they do to player interactions and how little choice they have in where to go and what to do.
    Just my opinion.

Once upon a time....

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited June 2019
    I'm definitely willing to put in the time. Even 3x, 4,5... Do the crafting whatever... To get better gear. I just don't like raiding. 

A single arrow shot from one guy took down Smaug.

I want a game that doesn't have specific requirements. It just has the mob. No gear checks or certain number of people before the game will let you attempt it.

Sure you likely won't succeed but don't prevent me from trying.
    AlBQuirky
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.