Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

1789101113»

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited June 2019
    2014 ME an Intellectual: "I think Destiny is an MMO (At least Lite) here's why I think this"

2014 random mmorpg.com forum user: "IDIOT. YOU MUST THINK A TRUCK IS a CAR TOO!"

2014 ME an Intellectual: "No, mister...there is a diff between a car and a truck, but I do think both of those things can be one thing, it's called a Crossover SUV. We say Truck when we mean SUV because an SUV is a type of truck. People that drive Range Rover don't say I'm going to wash my SUV, they say they are washing the -truck-. Although it's not exactly a -truck- (SUV), they aren't exactly wrong for saying it." 

2019 Bungie Creators of Destiny: "Destiny is an Action MMO" 
    2019 Me an Intellectual: "Nice."
    2019 random mmorpg.com user: "Bungie is stupid, booooooo klash2def the *insert random insult*!" 

2019 Me an Intellectual:

[Deleted User]Vermillion_RaventhalSteelhelm
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MOST people,likely 90% or more THINK a MMO is how many people can login and do not take into consideration the actual game play where it really matters.
    If a game like Wow for example has an end game where everyone is in instances or ALL their dungeons are instances,it is NOT a MMO.

A MMO is where everyone can see and react to the other online players.Just like real life,you do not have to be interacting at all times but the possibility should be there.

I have not been playing mmorpg's for awhile now but if memory serves me FFXI is one of the ONLY mmorpg's where you can react with a group even if not in that group.So using that as the template,most every game takes a downward spiral from FFXI's design when we SHOULD be trying to improve the mmo and the RPG aspect,most games do neither well.
    [Deleted User]mmolou

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Lock thread pls
    No way

This is the argument that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started arguing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue arguing it forever just because... This is the...
    klash2defMadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

‘real MMO’ people are not experts in MMO's they just remember some stuff from a very narrow window of their life when they cared lol

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    MMOs are numbers wrapped in skins.
    Sadly.

Once upon a time....

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    klash2def said:
    2014 ME an Intellectual: "I think Destiny is an MMO (At least Lite) here's why I think this"

2014 random mmorpg.com forum user: "IDIOT. YOU MUST THINK A TRUCK IS a CAR TOO!"

2014 ME an Intellectual: "No, mister...there is a diff between a car and a truck, but I do think both of those things can be one thing, it's called a Crossover SUV. We say Truck when we mean SUV because an SUV is a type of truck. People that drive Range Rover don't say I'm going to wash my SUV, they say they are washing the -truck-. Although it's not exactly a -truck- (SUV), they aren't exactly wrong for saying it." 

2019 random mmorpg.com user: "Bungie is stupid, booooooo klash2def the *insert random insult*!" 

2019 Me an Intellectual:

You forgot:

2014 Cryomatrix: Doesn't give a shit
    2019 Cryomatrix: Still not giving a shit
    2024 Cryomatrix: . . . 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited June 2019
    klash2def said:

2019 Me an Intellectual:

You forgot:

hmm, you do a lot of quoting for someone who doesn't give a shit... very interesting! oFc You don't care now, because you realize I was right and Bungie confirmed it.  But you did a lot of back and forth for a person who didnt give a shit... lol... Twitch hasn't given you that partnership yet? Better get back to work! 

Try Streaming Destiny yet? 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

2019 Me an Intellectual:

You forgot:

hmm, you do a lot of quoting for someone who doesn't give a shit... very interesting! oFc You don't care now, because you realize I was right and Bungie confirmed it.  But you did a lot of back and forth for a person who didnt give a shit... lol... Twitch hasn't given you that partnership yet? Better get back to work! 

Try Streaming Destiny yet? 
    You confused me for someone, i doubt i had any back and forth as I rarely do it.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Prime example

https://store.steampowered.com/app/905370/Conquerors_Blade/?l=romanian

Master the art of medieval warcraft in this free-to-play tactical action MMO. Create a unique warlord from 10 different classes, and wage war in epic 15 v 15 siege battles. Employ special abilities, devastating weapons, and cunning strategies to reshape this vast open world into your new empire.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    And the silence...  Is deafening.
    I do other things as well you know!  ;)

So think of it this way, if a massive amount of people access online poker yet no one has ever offered that online poker is an mmo there must be other criteria that also play into the decision.

And again, it doesn't matter what we say here. If in 5 years people start calling online poker an mmo then "it is what it is."

Sorry but people can stomp and shout and jump and gnash their teeth all they want. 

Some games are being called mmo's and it seems that only a few people have issue with it. 

What does this mean?

That in a few years online poker will be an mmo! :p
    Well, that's my point: there's not set criteria.  Everyone took the ball and, as soon as the floodgates opened, ran in different directions.  Hence, the lack of clarity and consistency.

It's rendered the term meaningless in the sense that it's better served with a term we already have (hence why MMO was ever coined in the first place to separate a specific sort of multiplayer).
    Except you're not going to get that. You want things to be as you see them but that's just not how life works.

Maybe, that "term we already have" will no longer be used and "mmo" will be the new term?

See what I'm saying? you should be excited, you are witnessing the changing of a term right in front of your eyes!

That's history!
    I doubt etymologists focus on this particular term. :D

If there were any consistency to it, it'd be acceptable.  There isn't.  You talk of making the world the way one wants as if the start of this thing wasn't literally some marketing team doing the same.  That's neither here nor there, because it's equally applicable to both sides of the discussion (and since it was the evolution stance that originally tried to alter an accepted meaning, they're more guilty of that than even the traditionalists).
    Does their have to be consistency? As far as I'm aware all language has been plagued by inconsistency.

Heck, in upstate new york "soda" is called pop. And on some places it's actually called "coke" no matter what type of soda it is.

If said "sourdough" to  you you would say  "... it's the best damn bread in the world next to Rye..." (right? RIGHT?!?!?)

but in Alaska it doesn't mean bread at all.

I would say, given that i'm no professional in the study of language, that the only consistent thing about language is it follows the path of least resistance. Whatever is more easily adapted, understood and used is what it becomes.

Remember, "Aweful" now "Awful" used to mean that something inspired Awe. Now it means something horrible. Rubbers were those little boots that you had a heck of a time pulling on over your shoes.

etc, etc.

You aren't going to get consistency. Sorry. 
    As someone who has actually studied language and etymology professionaly I can tell you you are right. Languages are dynamic and change constantly, erretically. There were static languages too where words and phrases never changed meaning and they all have one thing in common, they are now extinct. An important distinction is that between dialect and language btw, dialect behaves slightly differently.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir  
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Prime example

https://store.steampowered.com/app/905370/Conquerors_Blade/?l=romanian

Master the art of medieval warcraft in this free-to-play tactical action MMO. Create a unique warlord from 10 different classes, and wage war in epic 15 v 15 siege battles. Employ special abilities, devastating weapons, and cunning strategies to reshape this vast open world into your new empire.
    Not the first time people or companies have told lies to promote their product, reality however soon proves the lie to be what it is, which in this case is fairly obvious, not an MMO.
    Scorchien
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2019
    Just a random note.

Sweetbread, in addition to referring to the likes of Hawaiian Sweetbread, which is a type of bread, can also refer the thymus or pancreas of an animal (often cows, and lambs, but others too), which is consequently a type of meat.

Depending on who and where you ask for sweetbread. You can get something very different.

Just an example from personal experience. :p