Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Found my competitive streak again that I haven't had seriously in 15 years/controlling rage

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hey guys, 

Last time I was seriously competitive in anything in life and gaming was when i played some 1v1 in starcraft or dueled in diablo 2 hardcore (no hacks). That was closer to 2004-2005ish. 

Nonetheless, I was watching streamers on twitch, which i never really did and discovered SC 2 streamers and that got me back into SC 2 as well as inspired me to start streaming. 

So i'm playing Starcraft 2 competitively now. I've played 150ish games on ladder so far and i just hit gold rank. (goes bronze-silver-gold-platinum-diamond-master-grandmaster). Now i've found my competitive streak. 

The new Path of Exile season comes out in like 4 days and I have no interest in even playing it. Isn't that amazing. I have put 1600 hours into Path of Exile and every season i start new again WTF. 

If I had put 1600 hours into SC 2, I believe I'd be master level now or perhaps greater. My stream would be growing better. Then again, I guess I could stream Path of Exile. 

Onto controlling rage:

Also, i did play SC 2 6 years ago for 2 weeks but quit as I broke 2 mouses after losing games. 2 days ago, I almost broke my mouse again after losing. I'm much better now than I was before, but how do you control your rage when playing competitively. 

I was reading online about it and some guy had a great quote that basically said this, "Once you realize you're getting mad because you thought you were entitled to a win, then the rage will go". I definitely get mad when I think I should have won, but I guess the key phrase is to lose the entitlement and you won't get so pissed. 

If i played against a pro player and got destroyed, I wouldn't be mad because you know, I never thought consciously or subconsciously that I should ever win the game. But in other games, I guess I subconsciously feel like i'm entitled to a win and i need to get over that. 

So what are your tools to not rage when you lose competitive games. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
Octagon7711

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix
    1. Swearing helps.

2. Yelling helps.

3. Getting up and walking about, reflecting on what fucktards my adversaries are helps ... a little.

4. Calling a gaming friend and venting helps.

5. Turning the computer off and watching tv instead helps quite a lot.

6. Getting a beer to drink while watching tv helps most.
    AlBQuirkyjimmywolfPhaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Good news, as my first season in POE comes to an end I'll be carrying the torch forward, but I will give you mad props accomplishing what you do in hardcore mode.

Speaking of mad, while not playing competitively it has awoken a fury I didn't know was still in me, wife says I'm scaring the cats.

I think you nailed it, I don't get upset dying when trying something new or stupid, it's when I get hung up on a rock and dying during a delve which can absolutely infuriate me as I was "supposed" to win.

Controlling the anger, I dunno, try to keep in mind stuffs gonna happen and press on though I realize in your situation easier said than done. 

AlBQuirkyAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I game for the right reasons,to have some fun,so losing doesn't bother me that much.

When i was serious playing UnrealTournament,imo the most skilled fps ever,i would simply load up some video game play of the best known players to see what they were doing.

The only reason i ever got upset was because of cheats.Luckily in UT we could just go to a different server and leave the cheats to themselves.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Turn your anger into hunger

Marijuana ;) 
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Phaserlight

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    laserit said:

Marijuana ;) 
    lol
    laserit
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gratz on finding your competitiveness again! I'm not too competitive, myself :)

On getting mad...
    Frustration is when I want to rage quit. I make plenty of stupid mistakes on my own, I don't need the computer helping me out. It's when the game "knows" too much and a tactic goes awry because who knew an alien (XCom 2) could hit a target across the screen behind high cover for a critical hit? I did everything right. My soldier was in high cover, none better. I thought he was out of range, even. But the game decided, "You're gonna LOSE!"

I get mad enough to rage quit only when I feel frustrated, which is quite different from mad or angry. Frustration is out my control. I, AlBQuirky, did all I could have. At that point, I curse and yell, then I turn off the PC, grab a drink, put on my reading music and grab a book :)
    KyleranAmathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Kyleran said:
    Good news, as my first season in POE comes to an end I'll be carrying the torch forward, but I will give you mad props accomplishing what you do in hardcore mode.

Speaking of mad, while not playing competitively it has awoken a fury I didn't know was still in me, wife says I'm scaring the cats.

I think you nailed it, I don't get upset dying when trying something new or stupid, it's when I get hung up on a rock and dying during a delve which can absolutely infuriate me as I was "supposed" to win.

Controlling the anger, I dunno, try to keep in mind stuffs gonna happen and press on though I realize in your situation easier said than done. 

try going into darkness while delving, then lagging out, and dying on HC :). Most of my other deaths are because of hubris, impatience, or incompetence. 
    I lost in a cheese game in SC 2 (to cheese means they do some BS rush in the first few minutes) smashed my mouse, got up, swore a few times, got up walked to another room, slammed the door and came back. All while I was streaming :)

In SC2 there are four fundamentals:
    Macro = managing resources and army numbers
    Micro = controlling your armies individually
    Scouting = self-explanatory
    Mechanics = knowing how things work together for proper counters

For low level they say to focus on macro and you'll move up the leagues which is what I'm doing until it becomes automatic. The losing to cheese is the other 3 fundamentals. 

Funny thing, in SC 2 you try to focus on your macro, they come in for attack and you forget your ass from your elbow and panic and start doing stupid crap. 
    AlBQuirky
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    I always think if i am getting mad at anything..it is time to take a break.  Being mad not something i have happen when i am having fun. And if the fun has stopped...time for a change.
    Gorwe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I lost in a cheese game in SC 2 (to cheese means they do some BS rush in the first few minutes) smashed my mouse, got up, swore a few times, got up walked to another room, slammed the door and came back. All while I was streaming :)

For low level they say to focus on macro and you'll move up the leagues which is what I'm doing until it becomes automatic. The losing to cheese is the other 3 fundamentals. 

Funny thing, in SC 2 you try to focus on your macro, they come in for attack and you forget your ass from your elbow and panic and start doing stupid crap. 
    For me it is just hitting the wrong keys as I go into panic mode :)
    Kyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    AlBQuirky said:

Which reminds me, I need to remap my Social tab off of the default "S" key in POE.

Nothing gets the blood pumping like having one third of your screen get covered from view when you get your hand a bit off center during a frantic recovery attempt.

AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Which reminds me, I need to remap my Social tab off of the default "S" key in POE.

Nothing gets the blood pumping like having one third of your screen get covered from view when you get your hand a bit off center during a frantic recovery attempt.

It's Softcore . . . it doesn't matter :) . . . this is why I can't play SC at all. But don't let my view ruin your fun. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I always know there’s another, play, another round, another match, another encounter.

i will get back, and I will find a way to win. 
    Cryomatrix
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I DL'd UO last night to see what 22 years of fuss was about, made a Paladin, picked the Paladin city as my starting point, logged in and farted around with the "Enhanced UI" (which was new to me either way so I chose Enhanced, sorry OG's) and couldn't figure out how to talk to the town cryer guy I started in front of so I quit.

My question is, what do you do when you have to compete with yourself?! :open_mouth:  :p

Gut Out!
    ConstantineMerusAlBQuirkyAmathe

What, me worry?

Damn, just read Path of Exile patch notes . . . back to PoE for me. 

In short, buffed the crap out of melee, and i prefer melee characters. 
    Gorwe said:
    Damn, just read Path of Exile patch notes . . . back to PoE for me. 

In short, buffed the crap out of melee, and i prefer melee characters. 
    I think this is a good move for you. One shouldn't get so bent out of shape when consuming ENTERTAINMENT. As the word itself says, once the fun stops, simply move away.
    Im controlling my rage now, like i just got cheesed as we speak, a cannon rush, so i basically, kept in the game, flew my buildings away and typing a psot to you. The guy wants to be a douche, i'll just be a douche back.

Check my fantasy baseball team now as well. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I think it's very bad for your health to get that angry and violent over  a game. I guess I'm a passive person I just quit when I loose constantly probably because I lose a lot. :D

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    laserit said:

Marijuana ;) 
    Woah, dude, I totally lost :smile:

If I get angry over losing a competitive game, it's usually a sign for me something is amiss... that's just me, though.  I tend to play another one, but this can easily become a spiral.

If I end up experiencing rage, then I remind myself it's just a game and isn't it funny how worked up a game can get me?  Then I'll usually take a long break... maybe a week or more.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Hey guys, 

Last time I was seriously competitive in anything in life and gaming was when i played some 1v1 in starcraft or dueled in diablo 2 hardcore (no hacks). That was closer to 2004-2005ish. 

Nonetheless, I was watching streamers on twitch, which i never really did and discovered SC 2 streamers and that got me back into SC 2 as well as inspired me to start streaming. 

So i'm playing Starcraft 2 competitively now. I've played 150ish games on ladder so far and i just hit gold rank. (goes bronze-silver-gold-platinum-diamond-master-grandmaster). Now i've found my competitive streak. 

The new Path of Exile season comes out in like 4 days and I have no interest in even playing it. Isn't that amazing. I have put 1600 hours into Path of Exile and every season i start new again WTF. 

If I had put 1600 hours into SC 2, I believe I'd be master level now or perhaps greater. My stream would be growing better. Then again, I guess I could stream Path of Exile. 

Onto controlling rage:

Also, i did play SC 2 6 years ago for 2 weeks but quit as I broke 2 mouses after losing games. 2 days ago, I almost broke my mouse again after losing. I'm much better now than I was before, but how do you control your rage when playing competitively. 

I was reading online about it and some guy had a great quote that basically said this, "Once you realize you're getting mad because you thought you were entitled to a win, then the rage will go". I definitely get mad when I think I should have won, but I guess the key phrase is to lose the entitlement and you won't get so pissed. 

If i played against a pro player and got destroyed, I wouldn't be mad because you know, I never thought consciously or subconsciously that I should ever win the game. But in other games, I guess I subconsciously feel like i'm entitled to a win and i need to get over that. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix
    I also try to remember that all that rank stuff is really just another trick to get me to keep playing. Viewing the game from a point of abstraction tends to help.  Humor tends to help.  Self-awareness is the goal.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe also go to a flea market and come home with a bag of cheap computer mice. ;0 
    kitaradPhaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I channel my competitive streak to analyze mistakes I did.

It can be summed up with being forced and unforced errors. The unforced errors are stupid mistakes you did, the forced errors are about making wrong decision under pressure. Unforced error is about basic understanding of the game and about maintaining focus. Learning how to deal with players that put pressure on you is how you improve to become a much better player. 

That's not to say I never raged, I kicked a hole in a wall when playing table tennis, I ruined my tv remote control during '99 champions league final between bayern munich and manchester united, I destroyed a mouse during a naxxramas raid. I also punched a hole in a door after I didn't get a job. The only reason I haven't ruined a controller while playing from software games is more about the durability of the controller than the lack of rage.
    Cryomatrix
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    I played League of legend and got perma banned for ages ago, then i created a new acccount and was recently perma banned because i got mad and called em all "Derptards" And it was because they was feeding intend and ruined my game. Im sort of happy for that perma ban because avoding lol is much better for my own health. And my days are much more happy than before..so just quit lol and ignore the game, then you feel better :)

I have a healthy balance with sc2, 5 years ago i didnt and quit.

But i wamt to play PoE, i may be better at streaming it because im a better PoE player. But im on vacation with the wife at the exact wrong time as usual. Always when new league starts.