Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starcraft FPS Reportedly Canceled to Grow Diablo 4 & Overwatch 2 Teams - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505
    I've never felt like Blizzard gave due respect to the SC franchise. SC1 was great & SC2 was good too. Blizzard goes for easier things nowadays instead of innovation or creativity it seems.
  • LytecLytec Member UncommonPosts: 26
    :( I would've fully supported a StarCraft FPS game.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2019
    As someone that had been looking forward to SC:Ghost, this news is rough.

It's a setting that could leverage elements of titles like Nuclear Dawn, the Savage series, and Natural Selection 2 to pretty great effect.
    PalebaneHatefull
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I assume he means Overwatch 2.0. Really no reason for a sequel, imo. Time will tell.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Swanea said:
    Wasn't this game (Starcraft Ghost) cancelled a LONG time ago? haha

But sad that this game was cancelled
    yep, ghost was cancelled shortly after WoW was released
    Palebane said:
    I assume he means Overwatch 2.0. Really no reason for a sequel, imo. Time will tell.
    what we need it titan ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ah, the yellow kid...
    [Deleted User]FlyByKnight
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    It's time to see what the D4 announcement will be this year, and whether it will be a MMO in the traditional sense of the term.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited June 2019
    But if we don't see Overwatch 2 or Diablo 4 next year, it will sound like downsizing.
    Hatefull
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    How can shooting Zergs not be fun I'd never understand. 
    Hatefull
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Good, Starcraft FPS is the wrost idea ever, mixing genres = NOPE
    Hopefully they won't do the same with Diablo 4, top down arpg or NOPE
  • AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    A 1v1v1 Battlefieldesque game in Starcraft setting would be cool.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    lahnmir said:
    FU Blizzard, FU. The thought of a Destiny style game in the Starcraft universe will forever be remembered by me now. Hell, I even came up with the name: Starcraft Universe....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Nah, that name was reserved for the mobile "companion" title. :D
    lahnmirHatefull

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    FU Blizzard, FU. The thought of a Destiny style game in the Starcraft universe will forever be remembered by me now. Hell, I even came up with the name: Starcraft Universe....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Nah, that name was reserved for the mobile "companion" title. :D
    Really, kicking a man while he is down? Low Frenchie, looooow.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieHatefull
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    President Abraham Lincoln to General George McClellan: "If you are not going to use the Army of the Potomac, may I borrow it?"

Someone needs to make a similar statement to Blizzard about its Starcraft IP.
    ScotHatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I would spend money for any game in SC universe ;shooter,rpg ,mmorpg ... what ever
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    May be a competition with Overwatch was not that bright an idea.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    Overwatch 2....? Why....? Unless its going to be for mobile......we should have phones by now, right?!?!?
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I'd have given a SC FPS a try..
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    How can shooting Zergs not be fun I'd never understand. 
    Left 4 Dead style game set in SC universe fighting zerg. Terran and Protoss as playable races with different classes.
    ConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    Lol at all these posts assuming the game was good and how they wished they could have played it.

If this was the case they wouldn't have canceled it.

Reality is - Imagine a crappy FPS StarCraft game - yeah you wouldn't be excited about that after all.

Thats why Blizz killed it > it sucked and wasn't worth saving 
    Blizzard crap-scale is not the same as everyone else on this thread. They don't aim for mediocre in marketing terms. Blizzard wouldn't have developed/published most of the games on my top list. So it is a possibility that they were creating a good game but not with the mass appeal they expect from their products to have. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    To note. The kotaku interview did have their sources saying that they thought the game was actually shaping up well and people were enjoying it.

However, all suggestions made look to have thus-far been from the perspective of "what could have been" not expressly what they were delivering. As the title they described was Battlefield-esque while for example I mentioned they could(and in my opinion should) have leaned more towards the gnere of shooters that leverage some hybrid RTS mechanics because it creates a tie over for the audience as well as fits the features of the original titles, and serves as a novel game in an under served sub-genre.

Others had other spins, but the point would be, as Torval said, pointing at Blizzard's apparent lack of creative ability in this modern age.