Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur's Gate III - Announcement Teaser - UNCUT

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Baldur's Gate 1&2  were phenomenal at the time. Probably the best rendition of AD&D rules in a computer game. Really looking forward to this one. The market has been in need of a good d&d game for some time now..
    Mendel
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nice transformation but i doubt you'll see that in game,instead just a human body with an Octopus head.
    Will the game be any good?Well for me if it is a bunch of linear lanes it will be boring as heck,if it is a wide open world it could be interesting.
    TacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Oh Larian. Not only do they have to beat their previous title, DOS2, but also the legacy that is the BG series. I know they can do it, but that is incredible pressure on them.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    *sees man getting sick and vomiting up black bile*
    Yeah, I get the same way after eating Taco Bell.
    SBFordTacticalZombeh
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    About

Damn

Time

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019
    Larian is a good pick but I would have gone with Obsidian for this. Obsidian already have the Baldur's Gate style pretty much perfected. If Larian makes it cartoony and chunky like Divinity OS I'll be disappointed.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I am glad to hear it's in the hands of larian. They did a great job with DOS 1 & 2 which are similar genre, though very different ruleset. If it was beamdog would have given it a hard pass.

I don't think 5e would be well suited for a crpg. Advantage and disadvantage work well enough with a story heavy pnp game but might be too limited for a highly customisable and mechanically complex crpg like baldur's gate.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Fuck.  Yes.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I don't know what kind of game it will be, but I hope it is still crpg top down pause in battle type game. Regardless, this is a pre-order for any in game pets, bonuses, and frills for me.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Corthala said:
    Is that guys shapeshifting into a Mindflayer?
    Caterpillar tunneled into him and turned him into a mindflayer of some type.
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    I thought maybe he just ate supermarket sushi
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I was about to say "10 years too late" because the original Bioware team is no longer around to make a 2nd sequel to the great series. Then I saw that Larian Studios will be making it and I'm really kinda hyped! Those Belgian peeps know how to make their RPGs and add tons of humor to it.
  • maytegarciamaytegarcia Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Nice
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Boo!

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gorwe said:
    azarhal said:
    Corthala said:
    No exactly, the process is called Ceremorphosis.
    Gorwe said:
    Will it use 5e rules or...? Also, descent into Avernus sounds like a philosophical mumbo jumbo. I much prefer NWN or BG 2 style.
    It will be based on 5e rules.
    Well...I suspected it'd use the 5e. Am not completely sold on that tbh. What do you people think about it?
    Generally speaking as a AD&D long time player, its horrible, 3.5 would have been better though my own favourite is 2nd edition, the 5e version is just not worth it. :/
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    Larian’s weakness in my opinion is story telling. One of BG’s strengths was storytelling. I have a feeling this will be good but more reminiscent of IWD than BG 
    I'm happier with Larian getting BG3 then Beamdog.  At least Larian has interesting ideas of how to do RPGs.  If they can at least make a fun game without bastardizing any of our iconic characters, I'm content with BG3 since realistically I don't think there's  a whole lot of other RPG studios that would get the green light to go through with it.
  • whoywhoy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    The first 10 seconds in the video, I thought I saw Sandor Clegane.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Not often I can say this, but damn I am HYPED. If anyone today can honor the legacy of BG series, it would be Larian; who in my opinion (with Divinity: original sin 2) made the first rpg to beat BG2.
    Some say they are not as strong on story, but compared to whom? Old Bioware doesn't exist anymore. But in any case there are lots of other important factors to a good rpg, so as long as it is better story than Diablo3 :D

On a side note, this quote is what I want to hear from mmorpg developers (and obviously deliver on as well):
    "We're all about creating reactive, systemic worlds that respect player agency" .. Though it is also nice to hear for a rpg.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Maybe this will lead on to a Baldur's Gate MMO one day.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

Corthala said:

Not shapeshifting. You witnessed ceremorphosis. Essentially a 10 year old Illithid baby parasite transforming its host into an adult illithid.
    [Deleted User]
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    nyxium said:
    Maybe this will lead on to a Baldur's Gate MMO one day.
    Well if it has 3 player co-op like Destiny don't be surprised when they call it one.
    Scorchien

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited June 2019
    Gorwe said:
    azarhal said:
    Corthala said:
    No exactly, the process is called Ceremorphosis.
    Gorwe said:
    Will it use 5e rules or...? Also, descent into Avernus sounds like a philosophical mumbo jumbo. I much prefer NWN or BG 2 style.
    It will be based on 5e rules.
    Well...I suspected it'd use the 5e. Am not completely sold on that tbh. What do you people think about it?
    It's my favorite version personally. Saying that, there are issues with it being turned into a video game as it focus more on role-playing a character than playing a stats-sheet which might not translate that well into a video game as many things are left to the DM/Players to decide during a session.

But my take is that people who don't actually know the pnp versions (aka only play the video games) are going to believe that they took stuff from both BG2 and NWN to make BG3.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Arterius said:
    WBadger said:
    Larian’s weakness in my opinion is story telling. One of BG’s strengths was storytelling. I have a feeling this will be good but more reminiscent of IWD than BG 
    I'm happier with Larian getting BG3 then Beamdog.  At least Larian has interesting ideas of how to do RPGs.  If they can at least make a fun game without bastardizing any of our iconic characters, I'm content with BG3 since realistically I don't think there's  a whole lot of other RPG studios that would get the green light to go through with it.
    I personally thought the story in Divinity original sin 2 was fantastic. Divinity Original sins story was terrible however
    Agree, but all the big reveals in OS2 were so much better if you'd played OS1.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I really like larian .... Really really wish they would remaster or do a follow-up to the original Divine Divinity.
    lahnmir