Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starcraft FPS Reportedly Canceled to Grow Diablo 4 & Overwatch 2 Teams - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageStarcraft FPS Reportedly Canceled to Grow Diablo 4 & Overwatch 2 Teams - MMORPG.com News

This morning, we wrote about a now-former Blizzard developer who remarked that the game he had been working on for two years was canceled abruptly. This afternoon, Kotaku has obtained information from unnamed inside sources that the game was a Starcraft first-person shooter. The cancellation came as a shock to the devs working on it and happened in the past two weeks. Those who had been working on the Starcraft FPS are being moved to both the Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 teams.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    We've heard lots of whispers about Overwatch 2, though that's probably unsurprising given Brack's recent interviews about making more games based in its universe.

And, dammit...they BETTER talk Diablo 4 at BlizzCon this year. I don't want to hear a single word about mobile games. LOL! :D
    KyleranwingoodHatefullRain_DeathravendreamsfadejgDuffayceh430Agent_Joseph

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Who wouldn't try a SC FPS even if it kind of sucks? Even at 6/10 probably everyone with a Blizzard launcher would've bought it.
    SBFordmoroelKyleranwingoodWhiteLanternMargraveTacticalZombehmcrippinsPalebaneConstantineMerusand 5 others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

BruceYee said:

Who wouldn't try a SC FPS even if it kind of sucks? Even at 6/10 probably everyone with a Blizzard launcher would've bought it.

Assuming the art wasn't in the Overwatch style, I'd have given it a shot.
    iamspamicus
  • EelonEelon Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I would have much rather had a Star Craft FPS.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieAgent_JosephArskaaaiamspamicus
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    FU Blizzard, FU. The thought of a Destiny style game in the Starcraft universe will forever be remembered by me now. Hell, I even came up with the name: Starcraft Universe....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Ungood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

lahnmir said:

FU Blizzard, FU. The thought of a Destiny style game in the Starcraft universe will forever be remembered by me now. Hell, I even came up with the name: Starcraft Universe....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

This is a personal spite to all of us with souls.
    lahnmir
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    All 3 Starcraft 2 games blew me away with the presentation and production values. I would have been all over another SC game.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited June 2019
    Overwatch 2?
    Seriously, do we need another one in this over saturated market of Esports?
    What's wrong with Overwatch 1?

Meanwhile WOW, the game that made Blizzard what it is now, got a 15 years old game as its successor.
    Go figure.

At Blizzard, they must be smoking something really strong.
    PalebaneShinobeiamspamicus
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Not a SC fan at all have never played any of the series , But i love Diablo and am glad they are moving resources towards it
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They cancelled Starcraft Ghost before and now this, it's interesting that they can't seem to make Starcraft games work outside of the RTS genre.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Isn't StarCraft where the word "zerg" even came from?

How do you drop the ball on such an iconic IP? Geez.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    maybe dont fire 80 ppl and you have enough assets to make all games.
    [Deleted User]
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I would have loved to see Starcraft FPS game for sure!
    But then again it probably would have been similar to Overwatch and suck just as much
    iamspamicus
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    now that i'm playing SC2, i always thought that an FPS would work great for SC. Make it similar to War Thunder, you can choose to be a viking captain or terran marine or siege tank and have battles where people are controlling individual units.
    ElonMusk
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

SBFord said:

We've heard lots of whispers about Overwatch 2, though that's probably unsurprising given Brack's recent interviews about making more games based in its universe.

And, dammit...they BETTER talk Diablo 4 at BlizzCon this year. I don't want to hear a single word about mobile games. LOL! :D

As much as I would hype about a diablo 4.....given their recent issues AND the state of Battle for Azeroth (it really missed the blizzard-mark-of-polish we have all come to expect and love) at launch and a little while after, I'm scared.

I'm really scared they have lost their way and I feel like the whole deal with Activision is costing them dearly. There is a clear trend of releasing, dare I say, unfinished games and having them fixed afterwards (effectively killing them), and Blizzard is looking no different in 2018 and 2019.
    nfacatrius
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Sucks that Starcraft is gettin the shaft again... I've been wanting more Starcraft games forever, especially a FPS. They should either keep working on it or make a MMORTS.
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    A starcraft fps game doesn't sound good at all. Unless it's a free to play BR game, FPS games are pretty much dying out. Smart move by Blizzard.
    LaviotaTacticalZombehRennd
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    FPS games are dying out eh? Okay.
    Scotiamspamicus
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    What's with this small influx of people saying FPS is dying and that they will only play third person games...?

... I guess you just want to be staring at an ass for hours or something.
    iamspamicus
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Wasn't this game (Starcraft Ghost) cancelled a LONG time ago? haha

But sad that this game was cancelled
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Shame. I would have bought the hell out of that one.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Could create a Starcraft MMORPG and just print money. Another FPS... why? Overwatch 2... why? Weird rumors. I'm surprised they even floated the idea of a SC FPS especially with Overwatch already in existence. What market are you trying to capture? Arena? I don't get it.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Blizzard should do something new....how about a BR game?
    Palebaneanemo
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Blizzard still has no idea what their fans want..

Bring back Starcraft: Ghost, reeee!