Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Two Years in Development, Blizzard Reportedly Cancels Unnamed Title - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageAfter Two Years in Development, Blizzard Reportedly Cancels Unnamed Title - MMORPG.com News

According to former Blizzard developer David Gibson who left the company earlier this week, a project on which he was working for the past two years has been abruptly canceled. While Gibson did not provide any details, he did send out a few tweets that said that his game was "on the back burner a bit over the past 6 months" before being canceled. "Unfortunately, you'll never see what we made over the past 2 years - that's gamedev, but we'll always have Overwatch," he wrote.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FenixSchisslerFenixSchissler Member UncommonPosts: 8
    One thing both EA & Blizzard does well that is killing things off.
    Rain_DeathravenArskaaaGdemamiSailorMomLastlaughlol
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited June 2019
    Not surprising, Blizzard well knows when it's time to fold and deal a new hand.

A lesson some of these indie MMO devs with never ending projects should probably consider doing.

:D
    AmatheConstantineMerusMendelVrikaGdemamiTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

Its funny too, cause allot of things they do release *herm* Anthem * cough* is shit :o
    Gdemami
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

David's next gig will be a surprise to some people. Good things to come from him.
    4 or 5 years from now.  ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    And there goes World of Warcraft 2 , Thx vanilla tards ! / sarcasm
    Palebane
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    It was probably too fun so they killed it
    JeffSpicoliKyleranGdemamibcbully
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    If it was diablo immortal , good
    PhryTacticalZombeh
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    DMKano said:
    rush1984 said:

Blizzard pays heavily to external companies to test their internal project for viability in current market.

This project failed repeatedly and got cancelled. 

The end
    Your a little crabby this morning Kano, Just a little

Your like the Gordon Ramsey of MMORPG, No one questions your knowledge , your just so dam mean

SBFordkjempffConstantineMerusGdemamiRinswind89IselinTacticalZombehPalebane
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Too bad they're focusing on OW, I find that setting to be the most bland, uninspired, uncohesive mess of a fiction. It's like when fighting games decide to try and make a cohesive narrative setting out of a random roster of characters. But I guess some people really like it, so we will get to see more OW RPGs or RTSs or whatever it is Blizzard makes nowadays.
    Blacklabelcali
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Oh God.....dont tell me it was another potential mmorpg that will eventually just turn into a BR now.....
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    DMKano said:
    rush1984 said:

Blizzard pays heavily to external companies to test their internal project for viability in current market.

The end

Your like the Gordon Ramsey of MMORPG, No one questions your knowledge , your just so dam mean

How dare you insult Gordon Ramsey that way? DMKano loves to play the "I know things, but I can't tell you about them" card on here....always has.
    SBFordXarkoJeffSpicoliLaviotaTillerbcbullyTacticalZombeh
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    At least they cancelled it without first milking anyone out of cash shop payments. I find that refreshing these days.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Best guess - looter shooter.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Albatroes said:
    Oh God.....dont tell me it was another potential mmorpg that will eventually just turn into a BR now.....
    It was a BR, but even copy cat Blizzard realize that ship has sailed :D </speculation>
    SBFord
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:
    rush1984 said:

The end

How dare you insult Gordon Ramsey that way? DMKano loves to play the "I know things, but I can't tell you about them" card on here....always has.
    Err, maybe he actually does know things?
    Panther2103SBFordConstantineMerusGdemamiMendelTacticalZombeh

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    They should fire all their executive producers, the people in charge of hiring, and their CEO

They are all incompetent
    KyleranGdemami
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:
    rush1984 said:

The end

Kano loves to play RPGs that you can get REALLY STRONG AND OVERKILL EVERYTHING ON SIGHT--that I am aware of. 

You can disagree with his personal opinions, but his "insider" knowledge comes from a few of his mates, which I do remember he once did state their craft, and for the life of me I can't remember him being wrong before.

So the only question that remains is... @DMKano you said Diablo 4 is in development. I can't recall if Blizzard ever did announce it or not. So... is this... Diablo 4??? 
    JeffSpicoliGdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Scellow said:
    They should fire all their executive producers, the people in charge of hiring, and their CEO

They are all incompetent
    If you or I should only be so lucky to fail as much as those folks you just slagged.

:D

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Who did Blizzard pay to test their Diablo Mobile announcement?  :D

P.S. DMKano is starting to become the Chris Broussard of MMORPGs

"I texted Kevin Durant for hours about many things" -CB

"You don't even have my phone number buddy" -KD
    LaviotabcbullyKyleranTacticalZombeh
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    rush1984 said:
    If it was diablo immortal , good
    Unnamed project.

Diablo immortal is named and known.
    Unless it wasn't so much an 'unnamed' project, but one that they didn't want to name. Diablo immortal would be a good 'cancellation' imo, but then, i don't have a phone  :p
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Blizzard fails in projects and then kills them.

EA fails in projects, develops them to some kind of half-assed completion, launches them, and then kills them.
    Kyleran

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Most likely it was a starcraft based first person shooter that they dropped in favor of making diablo 4 and overwatch 2.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.