Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accidental Embargo Break Indicates That Destiny 2 is Going Free to Play - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageAccidental Embargo Break Indicates That Destiny 2 is Going Free to Play - MMORPG.com News

Ahead of today's Bungie live stream event, it appears that an inadvertent "oops" moment at Engadget (& its WoW Insider URL) has revealed that a free-to-play announcement may be incoming for Destiny 2. The now-pulled article is titled "Destiny 2 is now free-to-play, including its year-one expansion". In addition, the article's first paragraph indicates that the expansion content would be landing on September 17th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    If true (and I'm sure it is), this is very, very smart on Bungie's part.
    jgDuffayJeffSpicolichilltime99bartoni33GazimoffFolmenOctagon7711TacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019
    Expansion, and FTP, will be going head to head with Borderlands 3 if that's the real date...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Late last year Destiny 2 was given for free to Playstation PS+ users (without DLC though).

It's yet an other example of Bungie milking the players who have already bought the base game & expansions. Same happens with the 'last expansions' of both D1 and D2 where you have to rebuy EVERYTHING over again for full price and can't get just the expansion. Same happens now to the upcoming(?) F2P with year 1 DLC. Players who jumped in the game on day #1 are screwed over.

It's just the reason why I've given up on Bungie games in general and haven't bought the latest 'expansion' for D2 - I'm no sucker to pay for the full game all over again.
    iamspamicusGdemamiRicardo5802
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    I'd be pretty happy for that. I could bring in my cheapskate friend and we could both start a new character.
    FolmenOctagon7711
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'd probably go on a spending spree shortly thereafter, if only to support the break with Activision.
    SBFordFolmenOctagon7711
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Reizla said:
    Late last year Destiny 2 was given for free to Playstation PS+ users (without DLC though).

It's yet an other example of Bungie milking the players who have already bought the base game & expansions. Same happens with the 'last expansions' of both D1 and D2 where you have to rebuy EVERYTHING over again for full price and can't get just the expansion. Same happens now to the upcoming(?) F2P with year 1 DLC. Players who jumped in the game on day #1 are screwed over.

It's just the reason why I've given up on Bungie games in general and haven't bought the latest 'expansion' for D2 - I'm no sucker to pay for the full game all over again.
    I bought day one the game+season pass and I don't feel I'm being screwed over I played so much and had a lot of fun I feel its justified the $100 I payed.
    The game is very high pop and you see people everywhere this is a good thing it will increase the already high pop of the gamr.
    SBFordFolmensarah116Octagon7711TacticalZombehReizla
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Reizla said:

Not so.

Until very, very recently Destiny (1 & 2) were Activision Blizzard game. Bungie developed it and remained the IP holders but it was AB that set the price of the base game, the price of the DLC and no doubt other "features" as well - especially, imo, in Destiny 2.

As far as having to rebuy stuff though Destiny 2 is different to Destiny 1. In the same way that John Wick 3 is different to John Wick 2. Just because you paid to see John Wick 1 doesn't mean you get to see the others for free. Or that you have to buy the latest WoW expansion if you already bought WoW.

Which, I will add, doesn't mean I think that D2 should have been a totally different game. I would have preferred if D2 had extended the D1 "universe". That is different discussion though.
    FolmenOctagon7711
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Reizla said:

so start to do what I say for a long time here? stop jumping on launch dates, wait for at least a year before you see if its really worthy the money
    FolmenReizla
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Oddly enough, this still helps Acti-Blizz since its still available via their launcher. That is assuming you're able to buy micro-transactions/dlc/etc with their battle balance.
    Folmen
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Albatroes said:
    Oddly enough, this still helps Acti-Blizz since its still available via their launcher. That is assuming you're able to buy micro-transactions/dlc/etc with their battle balance.
    I sort of doubt that that is possible any more. Might have to look into it. :D
    Folmen

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited June 2019
    Base game + year 1 isn't really a free to play conversion though. It's a free trial version akin to what Runescape or Guild Wars 2 do. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think it is a savvy move, and would pretty much be required given that the game was given for free on a to-be unsupported platform belonging to their former overlords.
    Folmen
  • nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100

Reizla said:

To correct you this is a standalone dlc/expansion whichbdoes not require forsaken to be bought. So please hold the line until the announcement is done till you rant on something which is not even going to happen.
    Folmen
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Good, if that ever happen they should rename the game, Destiny, then do seasonal major updates, like PoE
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    well if you remember blizzcon last year destiny was given out on all platforms wasnt it, its not like people are buying the base game no more so its a saavy move. with the new DLC shadow keep theres probs some money to be made there as thats a link to destiny 1 themed content right there and that will hook in people on the nostalgia train (similar to what valve did with L4D2 giving it L4D content).
    Funny thing is this will most likely be on steam if its F2P.... i dont know how DLC will get to those invested on the blizzard launcher (like me) and if accounts are transferable to the new platform.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    DeadSpock said:
    Reizla said:

I bought day one the game+season pass and I don't feel I'm being screwed over I played so much and had a lot of fun I feel its justified the $100 I payed.
    The game is very high pop and you see people everywhere this is a good thing it will increase the already high pop of the gamr.
    I did the same thing and feel the same way.  More then got my monies worth out of the game.  Great storyline and combat.  Good quest system and open grouping.  Didn't like the mini/max direction they were going in so I stopped, but with no regrets.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    If your game isn't good enough to pay for then give it away.  The same people that wouldn't pay for it will mysteriously give you double or triple what your retail price was in the cash shop. Because "now their in control of their money". 

lol
    Ricardo5802