Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Keyboard "Lag"?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
As I play games, even as I type here or on other websites, my wired keyboard has a tendency to "lag", or pause. It's frequent enough to bug me, but not enough to destroy it.

Is this a problem with my keyboard (Azio lighted keyboard with BIG letters)?

Could my USB connection be going on my motherboard? Mouse seems fine, also wired USB connection.

I looked on a couple of tech sites and they suggested looking within Windows 7x64 settings. I looked and all was good there with boxes checked or unchecked appropriately :)

Is this a common thing? Have others experienced this? I've tried out 3 wired keyboards and all have that pause in them. Maybe I should try a wireless one? Will getting a new keyboard help, or is this a motherboard issue, more than likely?

Thanks for any help :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    If by keyboard lag you mean you often type and there is a large delay of what you type and what shows on screen, or you hold delete and let go and it keeps deleting way past when you let go, etc., this happens to me too.  But my keyboard is wired to a USB port.  And it only happens when typing in webpages.  I don't get lag playing a game and pressing ability keys.  I don't get lag with word or anything that isn't a webpage.  

And even if we have the same exact problem I am also no help as I have no idea why it happens.  But it is extremely annoying.  This issue only started happening in the last couple years. 
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    blamo2000 said:
    If by keyboard lag you mean you often type and there is a large delay of what you type and what shows on screen, or you hold delete and let go and it keeps deleting way past when you let go, etc., this happens to me too.  But my keyboard is wired to a USB port.  And it only happens when typing in webpages.  I don't get lag playing a game and pressing ability keys.  I don't get lag with word or anything that isn't a webpage.  

And even if we have the same exact problem I am also no help as I have no idea why it happens.  But it is extremely annoying.  This issue only started happening in the last couple years. 
    Yes, that is what is happening. In games (CoH this happens), it does the same when I type in chat. It's fine for ability triggers and such, just trying to type in chat :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Check that you don't have Filter Keys enabled

On Windows 7: Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Change how your keyboard works 
      from there "Turn on Filter Keys" should not be checked.

edited June 2019
    Vrika said:
    Check that you don't have Filter Keys enabled

On Windows 7: Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Change how your keyboard works 
      from there "Turn on Filter Keys" should not be checked.
    Not checked. I think that was suggested on one of the other tech forums I visited. Thanks, though :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Thanks for that link! It has some ideas I'll look into, like a graphics card or memory module issue, which I believe may be a problem.
    Octagon7711

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Torval said:
    Some websites use a lot of Javascript (JS), especially with ad services and trackers, and that can affect input latency. I've had that issue on this site before. There are a lot of things that can be happening in that JS including harvesting everything you type.

Here are a couple things you can try.
    Try another keyboard on those sites for a while to see if you can isolate it to the keyboard itself. Change USB sockets the keyboard is plugged into for the same reasons.

Make sure your browser is up to date. This is important not just for security, but for bug and performance fixes too.

Try another browser vendor on the same site. If you're using Firefox use Chrome, Vivaldi, or another main Chromium distro. The latest Firefox has been running great, but previously it ran like junk on this and some other sites with some Javascript logic. Chrome and Vivaldi worked better.

Turn on do-not-track and ad-blocking in Firefox and test whether that affects the issue.

Install uBlock Origin adblocker in your browser and turn it on in the sites affected and see if that changes the behavior at all.

After you make any changes test whether they make a difference. It could be just one thing. It could be a few things adding up. I hope you get it sorted out.
    I do run adblock. blamo PM'd me and made realize that there is a slight difference between Palemoon (my main browser) and Firefox (using right now). Thanks for the suggestions :)
    [Deleted User]

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    That sounds like a software problem, not a hardware one.  If it's a hardware problem, then it should affect all programs, not just some.

On the hardware side of things, Windows normally polls USB devices every 8 ms, so from the time that you press a key to the time Windows notifies any programs that need to know shouldn't be more than that.  That can be an issue for competitive e-sports (which is why some "gaming" hardware will tell Windows to poll every 1 ms), but is basically a rounding error for casual typing of text.

The time lag from a program being informed that a key has been pressed to having prepared an updated image to draw on the screen can be arbitrarily large, however.  A program that relies on libraries that rely on other libraries in all sorts of convoluted ways can easily make simple things ten ten times as long as they should.  Or a hundred.  Just because some simple thing is laggy doesn't automatically mean that it's a hardware problem.  Never underestimate the ability of slow software to run poorly on very fast hardware.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Quizzical said:
    That sounds like a software problem, not a hardware one.  If it's a hardware problem, then it should affect all programs, not just some.
    Yes.

If there's no easy solution, then re-installing windows from scratch is more likely to help than trying to find hardware problems.
    AlBQuirkyRidelynn

Quizzical said:

On the hardware side of things, Windows normally polls USB devices every 8 ms, so from the time that you press a key to the time Windows notifies any programs that need to know shouldn't be more than that.  That can be an issue for competitive e-sports (which is why some "gaming" hardware will tell Windows to poll every 1 ms), but is basically a rounding error for casual typing of text.

The time lag from a program being informed that a key has been pressed to having prepared an updated image to draw on the screen can be arbitrarily large, however.  A program that relies on libraries that rely on other libraries in all sorts of convoluted ways can easily make simple things ten ten times as long as they should.  Or a hundred.  Just because some simple thing is laggy doesn't automatically mean that it's a hardware problem.  Never underestimate the ability of slow software to run poorly on very fast hardware.
    That sounds feasible to me. I agree that hardware troubles usually happen everywhere, not here and there, unless there is a loose wire that moves.

Leave it to Quizzical for technical things :)

Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    Yes.

If there's no easy solution, then re-installing windows from scratch is more likely to help than trying to find hardware problems.
    I think this is overdue. I usually reload Windows every 2 or 3 years. I think it's going on 4 years now :)

Thanks everyone for your interest and help :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR