Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your First Beatdown From a Red Con in a mmorpg

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
edited June 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I am recalling the first ass kicking I took in a mmorpg, fighting something too powerful for me. I was a new EQ player in Greater Faydark  - about level 4 with trash leather armor and a trash sword. 

Wish I could tell you I died to some monstrous scary sounding devil mob. But it was ... a fairie (one of the royal ones).  I could see with /con that it was too much but I thought, c'mon, how bad can it be? It's so little.

Famous last words.

After I got dusted, I could not find my corpse. Gave up and re-rolled. Lost all my stuff that way. Took a faction hit too. A pretty sad experience overall.

So who first beat you up and took your lunch money?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    farming levels inside the spider cave in Metin2. I couldn't spam the non-cooldown HP potions fast enough to stay alive long enough to level up. The worst part? if you didn't go there you could kiss leveling good bye.
    Amathe

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    My first MMO Beatdown was motorcity online and i attempted to drag race my stock untuned 1970 Barracuda on DIAL UP vs a suped up 32 Coupe on DSL for pink slips..... I lost my car  :/

AmatheKyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    A %*($(#)U%& Shadow Child in Asheron's Call.  Ooh look!  A wee little child is running up to me.  I wonder what he needs help with?...     Why is he all black?  Did they forget to texture him?...  Now he's kicking me in the shins.  I'll show this little piss ant you don't try kickin....   KAWHOOOM.   WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? WHEREDTHOSEFLAMESCOMEFROM?  

"You have been returned to your lifestone.  You were incinerated by Shadow Child.  Your body is at <insert coordinates>.
    AmatheKyleran[Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    EQ1. Griffon.  East Commonlands.  Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  When our group finally got to level 25, we spent a weekend paying our 'respects'.

Amathe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    EQ as well.  I can't even remember what class I rolled, but I was a dwarf.  That much is for certain.  I died fighting skeletons. 

As a side note, when it used to say (and might still say) "Time to die a skeleton", I didn't realize they just put the mobs full "proper" name, "a skeleton", in the text; I thought they used "die" instead of "kill".  Who knew?
    Amathe
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    The first death that was memorable was in UO.

Very early days. Everyone was a "noob."

I was hunting animals to build skills, and saw another player get attacked by a would-be PKer. I jumped in to defend the first guy, but the first guy ran. The PKer followed him and I followed the PKer.

We got to the Yew Courthouse, in a "country" setting, and I wasn't sure where the guard zone started. But the PKer was getting a few hits in and no guards showed, so I tried to get some hits in on the PKer.

But we soon drifted into guard zone, the PKer missed his attack, and I hit the PKer for damage.

That's when I experience the well known phenomenon called "Guard Whacking."
    It was a traumatic experience. lol
    There was a large puff of smoke and a very loud sound of magical teleportation, and the Guard popped in and *WHACK*, all at once.
    And without a millisecond between, it seemed, I was dead and seeing things in all gray tones.

I was like, "But I'm the good guy here!" lol
    Amathe

Once upon a time....

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Likely shadow knight trainer in Guk I think.  
    Amathe
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Can't remember the first, but I remember the last.  While playing TD2 I was attacked by mobs, they were hitting me pretty hard so I ran, got trapped by two, killed one then got one shotted by the other one after loosing cover.  After wondering why the mobs hit so hard and were so hard to take down I looked at the map and discovered I had crossed the street and went from the level fifteen zone to the level twenty five zone.  I was surprised I had managed to kill even one of them.

Amathe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Shadow knight trainer immediately upon logging into EQ for the first time. I hit A on accident and attacked him.
    Amathe
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    In lotro there is a named warg that roams the chetwood and kills lower noobs all the time I make it a point to kill that thing every time I see him. He has cost me a few undefeated titles lol
    AmarantharAmathe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2019
    Hmm, can't recall it ever happening, I rarely lose to npcs....but to other players a different story. ;)

I had started a stealther on Mordred, DAOC FFA PVP (red) server and just crossed into level 10, becoming eligible for combat.

So I stealth over to a nearby npc fort in the noob zone and see a bunch of lower level players having at it.

I join in the fun, choosing targets of opportunity, aka players almost dead from fighting others, cause hey...I'm a stealther..

Suddenly a level 50 shows up and proceeds to repetitively grey kill everyone there for over an hour at which point I gave up and logged.

Taught me several lessons

1) level 10 stealth is really, really bad as he could see me from half way across the zone it seems.

2) was the 1st time I had run across a player who enjoyed being a total dickhead for no other good purpose, unfortunately wasn't going to be my last.

3) join a really big guild who has my back and would have cleared that jackhole outta there.(has worked to varying degrees of success)

Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Kyleran said:
    Hmm, can't recall it ever happening, I rarely lose to npcs....but to other players a different story. ;)

I had started a stealther on Mordred, DAOC FFA PVP (red) server and just crossed into level 10, becoming eligible for combat.

So I stealth over to a nearby npc fort in the noob zone and see a bunch of lower level players having at it.

I join in the fun, choosing targets of opportunity, aka players almost dead from fighting others, cause hey...I'm a stealther..

Suddenly a level 50 shows up and proceeds to repetitively grey kill everyone there for over an hour at which point I gave up and logged.

Taught me several lessons

1) level 10 stealth is really, really bad as he could see me from half way across the zone it seems.

2) was the 1st time I had run across a player who enjoyed being a total dickhead for no other good purpose, unfortunately wasn't going to be my last.

3) join a really big guild who has my back and would have cleared that jackhole outta there.(has worked to varying degrees of success)

Lol, I remember logging into UO beta 2 as soon as the servers were up.  It was my second MMORPG after M59.  It was such a surreal experience.  Made a warrior or picked swordsmanship and planned to be a mage later.  I started on Moonglow because yeah a mage. 

After walking around for awhile I decided to kill everyone who spawned in at spawn point and loot their stuff.  Had blast and even chased down people who managed to run.  Gained fighting skills doing. Had a pile of bodies.  Someone even joined up with me spontaneously. 

Not that I was level 50 but there is some fun in the massacre.  I never been one to obliterate people in level games but I guess everyone gets kicks from different things.  

Amathe
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Let's be honest, @Amathe... anyone who played EQ got their first red-con beatdown from a city guard for accidentally attacking them :blush:

I remember my first genuine "loss" in EQ.  I started in the Qeynos Hills area, spent a couple levels there and bravely(not really) trekked into Blackburrow.
    I ended up eventually falling into the giant pit and being eaten by the pirahna down at the very bottom of the pool of water(good luck swimming away with that swim skill of 3).

I couldn't get the corpse back, of course.  The first guy I met in EQ had kind of shown me some of the ropes and I told him what happened. 
    He gave me 1pp(yes, that's a one) and told me to just buy new stuff and forget about getting my corpse back.
    Ah, that 1pp... I was like "Whoa, that's so much money, are you sure you want to give me that much?"
    At that point I was still getting like a couple copper per kill, so I had never seen a plat before...
    He had a good laugh, but that plat was worth more than my entire gear-toting, half-eaten fish-bait body.

Amathedragonlee66
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Right outside kelethin in EQ1....Was killing bees when all of a sudden "wham" and about half my health dropped...Turned quickly and saw an orc centurion looking me right in the eyes....Ran as fast as I could towards the guard for help, but alas the orc did me in before I could get close......THe orcs paid heavily for that day.
    AmarantharAmathe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    My first would be in EQ (like many others here) since it was my first MMORPG. I died so many, many times there on many characters, but I recall one Human Monk I rolled in Freeport and was chasing a snake that was nearly dead. If only I could HIT the bastard one more time! Well, in that newbie area just outside the gates is a wandering Deathfist Orc Centurian (I think). It was only level 3 (or was it 5?), but at level 1, it was a quick death if he caught you.

Sure enough, my snake chasing ran me right into that centurian's path. It wasn't as quick of a death as I thought, either. As I tried running away, taking hits in my backside, I believe a wandering gray wolf joined in the fray. I remember as the death blow hit me, the guards I was trying to run to at the gates finally struck that Orc down, but not before I was slain. I believe the snake lived to see another day.

PS: In the battle chat window, I laughed when I read: "a snake kicks you for X damage."
    AmarantharAmathejdlamson75

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I recall getting trained by a bunch of Orcs in EQ....thinking West Commons? lol. 
    Amathe
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Enchant my sword to + 5 ... it drop to +3 ****  i gamble my whole fortune at that time .
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Playing my wee High Elf Paladin in Crushbone when I see a guy run by me with a bunch of mobs following him. "Not my problem," I says. A little while later they are all walking back, not bothering little ol' me. Then suddenly one of them is like "this guy needs his butt kicked, and I'm just the Dark Elf Ambassador to do it."

And that's how I got murdered by Ambassador DVinn, the absurd undercon with an aggro radius the size of Greater Faydark. 
    AmarantharKyleranAmathe
    You all think our stories are something, wait 'till you hear this. It's not my story, but still.

In UO alpha(?) a bug developed.
    Tools for crafting had so many uses, and after they were used up they were supposed to delete themselves (the tools).
    Well, a bug caused a sewing kit to, instead of deleting itself, it deleted the next thing that it was used on. And kept doing so, it never deleted itself.
    An enterprising player tester decided to see what all he could delete. After all, he was testing.
    He deleted tables and chairs and stuff like that, but soon started deleting building walls and roofs and supposedly permanent art of that kind.

Not satisfied, he saw another player running by....

(Raph Koster has this story on his website somewhere, or did at one time.)
    Amathe

Once upon a time....

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Asheron's Call and a Reedshark Pup. It was night, I couldn't see a thing and something kept killing me when I would go back for my body. Bleh!
    Amathe
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I remember being a Bard in EQ. I purchased a new spell in Kelethin and thinking, what does this do? The guards stood next to me began to beat me after clicking the skill.

At least my corpse was easy to find.
    KyleranAmathe

I started a new character in UO, back in the early days.
    An archer. I didn't know just how bad archers were for damage, but I very soon found out.

So I go out looking for critters to shoot, to build up my skill.
    I came upon a group of chickens, and felt lucky that there were about 10 of them so I figured I'd get some skill gain because of the numbers.

So I shoot one.
    Now, chickens had like 3-4 HPs.
    And my bow did 1-2 damage.
    And with such low numbers, the chickens would heal up to full immediately.
    So I couldn't kill the first one, because one hit wasn't quite enough to kill it and then it would heal up right away to full health.

That would have been ok, and great for skill gain, except for one thing.
    The whole flock of chickens surrounded me and started pecking at me.
    UO had blocking. I was trapped.
    And I couldn't kill even one, so I couldn't get away.
    It was a very slow death.

And that, my friends, is the story of how I was the only player ever in the history of MMORPGs to have been hen pecked to death.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    EQ, so many. So so many times.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    .. I hate the Consider mechainic in games , such a bad feature .....