Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The $35,000+ Apple Mac Pro

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Kyleran said:
    Please, just stop. 

Phry
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm going to buy one, take selfies of me working on it, then send it back...

-just kidding.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    Kyleran said:
    To no one's real surprise threads which even whiff of politics get closed.

Any chance you folks can take it out back so we can continue to mock Apple, Macs and rich posers?

;)
    That's where I was, until dude randomly turned into Dwight Schrute defending Michael Scotts honor mode. My inbox is there for anything that doesn't belong in this thread.

Back to Apple... they're now officially the Kellerman King of computer hardware

They might as well have called this overpriced abomination of a Ford F550 the iTruck Pro.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    FYI: 
    Tertiary syphilis happens 3-15 years after initial infection and can cause dementia and neurological problems. Hilarious and creative insult I must say. +1 for sure. 

On to the topic. 

People forget that businesses invest in high tech components because they need to do that for their business. 

On another topic:
    I always find it funny when people say, "this guy has more money than sense". The reality is, everything is relative. 

A rich guy spending 35k for a home computer is probably less egregious than a lower socioeconomic person buying weekly scratch tickets or cigs. It is all relative. The 35k the rich guy spent may be less % of the total wealth that the person has than a month of scratch tickets and/or cigs. 

The reality is that the rich people have money and actually have sense, it's how they became rich in the first place (most of the time). 

Phaserlight
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    FYI: 
    Tertiary syphilis happens 3-15 years after initial infection and can cause dementia and neurological problems. Hilarious and creative insult I must say. +1 for sure. 

On to the topic. 

People forget that businesses invest in high tech components because they need to do that for their business. 

On another topic:
    I always find it funny when people say, "this guy has more money than sense". The reality is, everything is relative. 

A rich guy spending 35k for a home computer is probably less egregious than a lower socioeconomic person buying weekly scratch tickets or cigs. It is all relative. The 35k the rich guy spent may be less % of the total wealth that the person has than a month of scratch tickets and/or cigs. 

The reality is that the rich people have money and actually have sense, it's how they became rich in the first place (most of the time). 

Stephen Paddock was a millionaire.  Bernie Madoff was a billionaire.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    To be fair to Apple, it's got some really nice hardware in it.  It's basically a Xeon Platnium 8180M, four Radeon Instinct MI60s, and 4 TB of SSDs, among other things.  That's still going to cost you well into five figures if you want to run Windows or Linux on it.  And even if you do buy a rack-mountable server with that hardware, it will probably be a lot noisier and uglier than the Mac Pro.  So it's not like they're going to charge you $35k for something that you could get elsewhere for $2k.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    Quizzical said:
    To be fair to Apple, it's got some really nice hardware in it.  It's basically a Xeon Platnium 8180M, four Radeon Instinct MI60s, and 4 TB of SSDs, among other things.  That's still going to cost you well into five figures if you want to run Windows or Linux on it.  And even if you do buy a rack-mountable server with that hardware, it will probably be a lot noisier and uglier than the Mac Pro.  So it's not like they're going to charge you $35k for something that you could get elsewhere for $2k.
    While true, that's like those amphibious vehicles these boutique auto companies sell for $100k+.  Sure, you can pay out the ass and get something you won't get from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge...  But why?  You can accomplish both sides of the task more effectively and more cheaply by just buying a truck and a boat.
    Phry[Deleted User]

If you think that Apple is overcharging for the hardware (and they haven't announced prices yet), then just for fun, try to price out a workstation elsewhere with 1.5 TB of memory and over 25 TFLOPS of double precision GPU compute with 128 GB of GPU memory.  See what it costs.  See if you can find it at all without having to jump to a server form factor.

I'm not really sure what the target market for this is.  But HPCs with many times more powerful hardware than that exist for good reasons, so it's not too hard to imagine that a ton of compute power in a single workstation could have its uses.  Playing computer games just aren't one of the reasons to buy that grade of hardware.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Quizzical said:
    If you think that Apple is overcharging for the hardware (and they haven't announced prices yet), then just for fun, try to price out a workstation elsewhere with 1.5 TB of memory and over 25 TFLOPS of double precision GPU compute with 128 GB of GPU memory.  See what it costs.  See if you can find it at all without having to jump to a server form factor.

I'm not really sure what the target market for this is.  But HPCs with many times more powerful hardware than that exist for good reasons, so it's not too hard to imagine that a ton of compute power in a single workstation could have its uses.  Playing computer games just aren't one of the reasons to buy that grade of hardware.
    But again, it's Apple. What type of powerful computing would you use an apple for? Beyond design, art and possibly media; which most computers costing way less already do well anyways, I see no reason for this.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Quizzical said:

I didn't mean to say that they were overcharging on a raw cost of parts basis, I simply meant that packing all that hardware into one product seems to "kinda" target multiple demographics, most of which could be adequately served with a cheaper alternative.

Quizzical said:

I didn't mean to say that they were overcharging on a raw cost of parts basis, I simply meant that packing all that hardware into one product seems to "kinda" target multiple demographics, most of which could be adequately served with a cheaper alternative.
    It's not a high volume product.  Apple neither needs nor expects to sell a huge number of these, especially relative to iPhone and iPad, but even relative to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or iMac.  That's why they don't constantly design a new Mac Pro; their previous version was based on the Intel Westmere processors from 2010.  But if you can sell 10k units for $30k each and 100k units for $8k each, that adds up to a lot of money, and enough to be worth the engineering effort to make the product happen.
    MadFrenchie
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Apple/Mac has always been overpriced garbage.
    [Deleted User]Phaserlight
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    FYI: 

On to the topic. 

On another topic:

Rich people are people too. Meaning that they are prone to buy dump stuff, because in their mind it makes sense. Take for example all the cringe worthy purchases of Nicolas Cage.
    Phaserlight
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

This is called taking outliers and making them seem like the norm. Those two are outliers. Once you interact with people of all socioeconomic levels from poorest to richest, you will see patterns emerge. 

Since, I deal with poorest to richest the same exact way in my profession. I can compare trends that I see. There are definitely exceptions but the trends are accurate.

Here is an example of a trend, "smoking increases your chances of getting lung cancer." And your response, "I knew some guy who smoked 4 packs of cigs a day for 60 years and never got lung cancer".  Therefore what you say isn't true. 

Did you know people have survived skydiving when their parachute fails to open, is that the norm or an outlier? 

In summary:
    You reference extreme outliers to refute a trend. In fairness, I should have added "usually" before sense. 
    Sovrath
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Apple/Mac has always been overpriced garbage.
    Don't forget, if you open them up then the warranty is invalidated, only Apple are allowed to work on Mac's, which drives up even the cost of ownership compared to the equivalent PC's. :/
    [Deleted User]
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited June 2019

From what a i read the screen comes with no stand, so you either buy the shitty one or this lol
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2019
    Herase said:

From what a i read the screen comes with no stand, so you either buy the shitty one or this lol

The stand cost double what I paid for my monitor wtf. People will pay that too, those who aren't mocking it at the moment anyways.

Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

This is called taking outliers and making them seem like the norm. Those two are outliers. Once you interact with people of all socioeconomic levels from poorest to richest, you will see patterns emerge. 

Since, I deal with poorest to richest the same exact way in my profession. I can compare trends that I see. There are definitely exceptions but the trends are accurate.

Here is an example of a trend, "smoking increases your chances of getting lung cancer." And your response, "I knew some guy who smoked 4 packs of cigs a day for 60 years and never got lung cancer".  Therefore what you say isn't true. 

Did you know people have survived skydiving when their parachute fails to open, is that the norm or an outlier? 

In summary:
    You reference extreme outliers to refute a trend. In fairness, I should have added "usually" before sense. 
    I didn't write anything about smoking.  It's a bad analogy.

I suppose I was taking exception to the not-so-subtle implication that wealth equals some sort of moral high ground; a viewpoint I run into all too often these days, unfortunately.

Should I also point out the irony that you are making an argument based on supposed statistics without actually furnishing any?  I respect that in your line of work you deal with rich and poor alike and notice certain trends; it is common sense after all.  However, before claiming something is false or talking about "outliers", please link to your statistical source.

Otherwise, I'll have to take your anecdote with a big grain of salt while assuming it's through the lens of personal experience.  

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited June 2019

In summary:
    I didn't write anything about smoking.  It's a bad analogy.

I suppose I was taking exception to the not-so-subtle implication that wealth equals some sort of moral high ground; a viewpoint I run into all too often these days, unfortunately.

Should I also point out the irony that you are making an argument based on supposed statistics without actually furnishing any?  I respect that in your line of work you deal with rich and poor alike and notice certain trends; it is common sense after all.  However, before claiming something is false or talking about "outliers", please link to your statistical source.

Otherwise, I'll have to take your anecdote with a big grain of salt while assuming it's through the lens of personal experience.  
    Even personally observed trends can be misleading, depending upon where one lives.  You'll get a far different picture of the merits/demerits inherent to the wealthy if you live in a rural area as opposed to an urban one.  And don't even get me started on how differently military members view "wealthy."

For one, "wealthy" has far different thresholds when you can own a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 30 acre house and lot in some places for around $200,000.  In a city, that amount of cash may limit you to a bus pass and a 1 bedroom apartment condo.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    In a related story actor comedian Tracy Morgan wrecked his brand new 2 million dollar Bugatti

Image result for tracy morgan car hit

Why would someone spend 2 million dollars on a exotic sports car and then attempt to drive it home through the pot holed streets of Manhattan before making it 10 blocks and then getting side swiped by a uber driver you ask ?

BECAUSE HE CAN!!! 
    Tiller
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I wonder if these are the “Made in America” macs we were promised 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited June 2019
    The monitor panel is made in Korea. The GPU is made in Taiwan. The CPU is made at whatever fab Intel decided to use. The SSD was probably made in the US since Samsung probably won't work with Apple on this. Then it was probably assembled in China with a juicy tariff on it.
    [Deleted User]Phry
    No, your generalization about the relationship was wrong.  Knight might've been overly aggressive, but your response wasn't close to the truth, either.

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    Just goes to show that the saying about Mac's is true, half the power at twice the price, i think Apples main focus these days is really mobile devices, the Desktops/Laptops are more of an 'afterthought' that they stopped investing resources into years ago, the times when you could really consider Mac's for gaming purposes, or even CAD by the sound of things are long in the past. :/
    They are going after the video/film/photo editing/3d rendering industry.  They always have, it never really was a consumer made product except way back when they wanted to compete with Microsoft.  It's built for professionals and students in semi rich life styles.
    That may have been the case in the past, but Mac's are pretty much outdated, you can get same or better performance for less $$ not that systems built for video editing etc. are all that cheap to begin with. ;)
    I second this. As a person who floats around these circles these days... no TF they're not targeting xyz industry. Apple is targeting wealthy posers as per what they've been doing for several years now in the desktop/laptop market.

The whole "video/film/photo editing/3D rendering" industry, excuse died long ago.

Guys care about rendering times, live previews, zoom speed, high DPI project performance, and color accuracy. Apple does not have the market cornered in any aspect as it pertains to performance.

Apples strong points were the small learning curve +reliable OS, and pleasing minimalist aesthetics. Once they went full Hammacher Schlemmer/Rob Report on the very people who gave the brand it's "coolness" their usefulness vanished. Function over form was back in play.

Even Huawei was starting to kick Apples ass on the mobile hardware quality/price front until Agent Orange went all tertiary syphilis with the trade/tariff wars.
    Tertiary syphilis? I understand why people don't like the guy, but in all seriousness, China's been duping the U.S. for decades in trade deals, so please, keep your CNN rhetoric to yourself.
    There's no CNN rhetoric you f@#$ing clown. It pertained to Apple and the mobile industry and their standing. Your rear end CLEARLY was damaged by the remark (which wasn't directed at you) enough to retort with the MOST generic stale overused crutch response. Sounds like a YOU problem.

Feel free to bring ALL that energy to my inbox though.
    You're the one who had to interject your wisdom with your own personal political attack. I guess if you want to dish it out than learn to deal with the aftermath. Judging by your response though, I'm sure I'd only waste my time bringing you back into reality.
    You sound middle aged.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've owned a lot of Macs over the years. I'm generally a fan of Apple products. I honestly don't mind spending $1,000 on my iPhone, or $2,500 on my MBP - those things I use every day, I rely on for work and other things, they last for a long time (I have a Mac Mini running at home that has something like 75,000 hours on it). I see value in the products, even if I could buy something that's "just as fast" for a lot cheaper. I can accept that not everyone feels that way though.

I can sort of rationalize a workstation for $6,000+++. It's a workstation, those things aren't cheap. They also aren't something I'm going to buy to use at home. I understand that a lot of folks are looking at it through the Consumer lens, and it's not a consumer product. Just like most folks wouldn't go out and buy a $350,000 Peterbuilt truck to drive for their daily commute.

I can't come up with any rationalization for a $999 monitor stand that is sold separately.  That was a flat out mistake on Apple's part. If they had just said "Oh, the monitor costs $5,999 and comes with a stand", people would still scoff, but they would just write it off to "Apple products are expensive and this is a Professional grade monitor, ok".  

I haven't purchased a Mac in several years. The quantity and quality of recent updates is very concerning to me. My newest Mac has just hit 5 years now, and I see no compelling reason to upgrade it. I've got several that are over 10 years and run well - they don't get all the latest software updates, but OS X is on a slow evolutionary path and you'd be hard pressed to really notice.

I will admit I've been eyeballing MS Surface products lately.