Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project: Survival

Comments

• MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited June 2019

Negative attention? You mean, dem “naysayers”, dem “haters”, dah “trolls”?

Hey, when desperate enough you can’t be picky.

Also, for those wondering about 2018, I’ll give you a small recap from RPGCodex:

Nov, 2018:

Factions: Rise of Heroes (Is guess it’s the same shit as Rise of Heroes, just re-annoounced?)

… and …

“The Greed Monger tell all series will be starting up the first week in December. It will be a weekly upload on the channel and will be 15 to 20 minutes long for each video.”

Source: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/page-41#post-5882517

Sep, 2018:

Rise of Heroes

“I know I have had many failed attempts at different games but here I am giving it one last attempt and if I succeed then awesome... I hope you guys will come along with me on the Journey if for no other reason then to get a good laugh out of my potential failure.”

“I have not giving up on Rise of Heroes yet and don't plan on it. I wasn't ready to release any sort of update last week and more then likely it will be a few weeks until I am ready. I was planning on having the first few releases be with self hosted servers but I really want to wait until I am able to host the server my self before I release a playable client. “

Source: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/page-39#post-5782657

May, 2018:

Game Dev. Clicker

Source: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/page-39#post-5600272

… and this is just from one silly thread, imagine the gold nuggets you’ll find by doing a proper search around the internet. The story is pretty much always the same though, "I'm not giving up this time!", "This time is different!", "I have learned from my mistakes!", "This is will be my last project!”, the bullshit has no bounds… then he gets butthurt when people like me call him on it, calling me a fucking stalker and shit… as if someone needs to stalk you to keep stumbling upon your projects, like you don’t spread that shit around like a young simian trying to show dominance, fucking hell, I mean, this time you even personally message me about it! It’s just shows how much of a pro ass mother fucking stalker I am, my own victims report to me willingly, and I don’t even need to ask them.

I said it before, and I’ll say it again, forget all this shit about “MMOs”, even assuming you could pull it off, let’s face it, there is no way in hell there’s 10,000  people in this fucking entire world crazy enough to want to play you shitty assets flips, do a small single player video game, a 8-bit game, make it simple, make it fun, avoid assets as much as you can, once you get something solid, fuck, go ahead, accept donations to keep developing content for it… but the way you are going at this is just bloody humiliating.

newbismxKyleran
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    @Myobi

nay·say·er
    /ˈnāˌsāər/
    noun
    1. a person who criticizes, objects to, or opposes something.
      "he continues to win, despite the many naysayers"

His history of failed projects does not change the fact that some people were being naysayers. So he failed a bunch of times, get up and keep trying. Telling him to quit and opposing what he is doing is being a naysayer. 
    I'm not ignorant to his failures, I just appreciate it when people actually try to do something productive. Whether it is vaporware or a scam, is important, but not relevant in calling you guys naysayers. I've tried some game development crap and got no where and stopped. He keeps trying, perhaps, he should stick to something and finish it, perhaps he has ADD but whatever, I give him credit for doing something creative. 

A lot of people with ADD will have numerous projects and finish none of them. So you think it is better to keep going with his dream, you never know, he may hit it big, or he could just listen to the naysayers and go do something that isn't as pleasurable for him. 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Does buying store assets (with other people’s donated money), plugging them in for 2 days and then creating a post really count as “trying” to make an mmorpg?

I mean... I guess in the most technical sense... but that’s like saying I tried to run the marathon when I stopped after the first 200 yards.

And it’s not like I got any further the next 10 times I tried... so you could point and say I’m getting better. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited June 2019
    Does buying store assets (with other people’s donated money), plugging them in for 2 days and then creating a post really count as “trying” to make an mmorpg?

I mean... I guess in the most technical sense... but that’s like saying I tried to run the marathon when I stopped after the first 200 yards.

And it’s not like I got any further the next 10 times I tried... so you could point and say I’m getting better. 

That's fair. If he is being unethical and lame  . . . doesn't mean he can't change, but yeah, i see where you guys are coming from. 

Oh by the way, what's up with Chronicles of Elyria? 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Oh, please, put that dictionary up where the…. *sigh* the meaning of it is completely irrelevant to my point, I don’t really care what you call people with common sense, what I’m trying to say is that standing up for the little guy may be pretty cute and noble, but when you throw common sense out of the window for it, doesn’t bloody help, plus it’s exactly what he seeks with this sort of shit.

Those over 30 different projects he announced over the years didn’t simply failed, he just gave up on them after just a couple of months, EVERY, SINGLE, ONE, OF, THEM, do you know why? Because there is a limit on how far Unity Assets can take you, a lot of the work shown, it’s not even his, they are assets made by other people, he just glues them together into some sort of Frankenstein monster.

https://www.kongregate.com/games/JimP14/earth-defense

“It will be a full game. At this stage though it's just a prototype with programmer art. The Models and everything will be replaced with production quality models once the code is fully in place.”

That’s yet another of his projects, and if you truly believe that there is a chance for someone who can’t even be arced to finish a simple space invaders clone to eventually deliver you a MMORPG, you are completely out of your mind.

If you truly want to help him, instead of giving him the standard good guy talk with bonus pat on the back, try to explaining him that if we could make MMORPGs just by ourselves, using mostly other people’s work, we would all be game developers.

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    lol Other people's work... YES this project is using 3d assets from the asset store... It takes far more then 3d assets to make a game though. All the code is custom coded by me... So essentially what this game is is my own work... I can switch out the graphics for anything I want while keeping the underlying code.
    [Deleted User]Myobi

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

JamesP said:
    lol Other people's work... YES this project is using 3d assets from the asset store... It takes far more then 3d assets to make a game though. All the code is custom coded by me... So essentially what this game is is my own work... I can switch out the graphics for anything I want while keeping the underlying code.
    For clarity... is this different "underlying code" than the last 12 times you did this? 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited June 2019
    Actually yes it is. It's being done with a different Networking API and is being completely custom built and designed for this game.

Edit: While I've taking some code where appropriate from past projects and modified it for my needs here. Basic things like Object Placement the code is all pretty much the same so no need to completely rewrite the same code. 
    [Deleted User]

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

edited June 2019

“Lol”, yes, other’s people work, and I’ll provide you an example of it, this is a screen shot from the last version of Greed Monger that you announced:

https://i.ibb.co/zxJBvHt/Greed-Derper.jpg

Meanwhile in the Unity Asset Store:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/big-environment-pack-3277

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/heavy-armored-knight-7272

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/rpg-kit-19644

Oh, hang on… whats this RPG Kit bullshit here…

Features:
    Login System
    Player creation and selection
    Spell System
    Inventory and Equipment
    Crafting and Gathering
    Teleport System
    Shopping
    Coop Multiplayer
    Artificial Intelligence
    Action Bar
    Status System
    Saving
    Visual scripting
    and many more!

Yes, I’m sure it’s all "custom coded" in these projects of yours...

See, the problem isn’t really using assets from the store tough, misleading people into believing that the work you are showing is yours is, “another amazing view”, made by Philipp Schmidt, sold to you for €44.67, paid by the Greed Monger backers.

Just stop it dude. You are just humiliating yourself at this point.

[Deleted User]newbismx
    lol I'm not talking about those projects... I'm talking about this game right here... Yes like I said the 3d models I am using are from the asset store... But show me a MMO Kit from the asset store that I am supposedly using for this game right here...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Honestly depends on your preference. Unity is becoming more and more comparable graphically to Unreal with each new release. Unreal is under an opensource type of license where you have access to the source code. Unity is closed source unless you have big money and want to try and get the source. Personally my preference is Unity. C# is easier to learn IMO then C++. 
    [Deleted User]

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Fuck it, I'm sold!  This guy sounds like the real deal.  When is the Kickstarter??
    Myobi
    lol No plans for a KickStarter!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

edited June 2019

“lol” but I was, I’ve been speaking about your projects in general.

But I’m positive that this specific one is different tough!

Do you really think that I’m going to do a deep background search on every bloody project you announce? Are you out of your mind? (That’s rhetorical btw) What life-span do you think I have? I’m not a fucking vampire, I would need to dedicate a fuck ton of  future generations just go over the shit that you’ve announced up to this point…

Also, I’m only pointing out how full of shit you are, and that much I already proven, with over 30 examples, why don’t u prove us once for a change that you can actually stick to your own fucking word? 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Myobi said:

Also, do you really think that I’m going to do a deep background search on every bloody project you announce? Are you out of your mind? (That’s rhetorical btw) What life-span do you think I have? I’m not a fucking vampire, I would need to dedicate a fuck ton of  future generations just go over the shit that you’ve announced up to this point…

I’m only pointing out how full of shit you are, and that much I already proven, with over 30 examples, why don’t u prove us once for a change that you can actually stick to your own fucking word? 

Just out of curiosity, have you ever donated money to him?
    Cryomatrix
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Myobi said:

Also, do you really think that I’m going to do a deep background search on every bloody project you announce? Are you out of your mind? (That’s rhetorical btw) What life-span do you think I have? I’m not a fucking vampire, I would need to dedicate a fuck ton of  future generations just go over the shit that you’ve announced up to this point…

I’m only pointing out how full of shit you are, and that much I already proven, with over 30 examples, why don’t u prove us once for a change that you can actually stick to your own fucking word? 

No he hasn't... He just stalks me to every forum I am a part of trying to enlighten the forum goers of the error of my ways... Like some how having a single game that the company owner of did a Successful KickStarter campaign and then a number of other projects that I never once asked a single dime for is such a HUGE crime.

Games that had successful rounds of funding come and go all the time... Even huge AAA studios have way more failures then successes you just usually never hear about them. Everyone has failures to their name. Like I have said about past projects sure once I start asking for money then sure hold me accountable for the out come whatever that may be but until then if you truly don't care about me or this project then leave and never look at this thread again. No one is forcing you to read it and respond. 

If you don't think this game is ready to start asking money for then I totally agree which is why I am NOT asking for any money and have no desire or plans to any time soon. If you don't even think this game is ready to be announced and talked about then that's your opinion and I total respect your opinion. Leave the thread, I'll continue working on the game and posting about it and return in a few months and see if the updates and new state of the game meets your expectations.  

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    JamesP said:
    Myobi said:

/SNIP/ Like some how having a single game that the company owner of did a Successful KickStarter campaign and then a number of other projects that I never once asked a single dime for is such a HUGE crime.

/SNIP/ Like I have said about past projects sure once I start asking for money then sure hold me accountable for the out come whatever that may be /SNIP/
    Reality Check: Your reputation as a games developer under the name JamesP or James Proctor is over. The internet will never let you move on; unless you yourself do. The only way you'll ever be able to build (without ridicule) is to start under a new alias. Maybe jump on the VTuber wagon or something- at least then you'd be creatively promoting your game.

Even if you posted under a different alias- people would still post in the same way since one person making an MMORPG is laughable. If you came onto here saying you were making a singleplayer game and invested into your project (while showing off footage that had more than 3fps) Maybe you would've been taken more seriously.

You will also never be able to undo the past or try to make it right. Appleton is the only one with that ability and given his latest post a week ago- it sounds like he's trying. I don't like the guy one bit personally- but he is and has been seeing some real success on Cryptocurrency, Patreon, and YouTube.

You really have to ask yourself why the other people who worked on the game; never really saw as much hate: Matt Eichler, David Bennell, Steven Davis, Cindy Sousa, Nangeyi, Patrick Tempond, Vincent Foster

It's because they distanced themselves from a failed project and moved on. You on the other hand chose to come back and become Captain. Remember the T-shirts? Nobody will ever forget you and Joel and your faces.- Hence my VTuber suggestion.

It doesn't matter if your past projects never took money. The one that matters and the one that will always be brought up with your name on it did.

This will forever be your theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcpxSS6wc9g
    KyleranSlapshot1188newbismx
    edited June 2019
    Myobi said:

Nope, why?Are you going to tell me that since I haven't lost money to it I can't criticize it?

Because that would be some brilliant logic right there.

JamesP said:
    Myobi said:

No he hasn't... He just stalks me to every forum I am a part of trying to enlighten the forum goers of the error of my ways... Like some how having a single game that the company owner of did a Successful KickStarter campaign and then a number of other projects that I never once asked a single dime for is such a HUGE crime.

Games that had successful rounds of funding come and go all the time... Even huge AAA studios have way more failures then successes you just usually never hear about them. Everyone has failures to their name. Like I have said about past projects sure once I start asking for money then sure hold me accountable for the out come whatever that may be but until then if you truly don't care about me or this project then leave and never look at this thread again. No one is forcing you to read it and respond. 

If you don't think this game is ready to start asking money for then I totally agree which is why I am NOT asking for any money and have no desire or plans to any time soon. If you don't even think this game is ready to be announced and talked about then that's your opinion and I total respect your opinion. Leave the thread, I'll continue working on the game and posting about it and return in a few months and see if the updates and new state of the game meets your expectations.  

Rofl, "he just stalks me", don't flatter yourself, I am as much of a stalker as you are a game developer. I said it before, and I'll say it again:

You contacted me about this shit yourself James, and I didn't make a squeek about it till the link to this thread was directly sent to me:

Because for a change, I though that you would actually work on something a little further than a bare-boned asset Frankenstein before going around the internet role-playing as a game developer announcing shit just to get a little attention and encouragement so you can drop it just a couple of months after.

I just wanted to let you guys know that Rise of Heroes: Online or at least a Prototype for RoH is currently in development. I'm planning on releasing a Preview Build to select groups of people this coming Friday and if all goes well there I'll be releasing a Publicly available Preview Build to the general public the following Friday followed by updates happening every Friday going forward. This Iteration of RoH is still very much in the planning stages still and what it will turn into is extremely fluid at the moment.
    The Preview builds will have player hosted Servers with me taking over the servers further down the line.
    So far I have:
    - Quests
    - Crafting
    - Resource Gathering
    - Pets
    - Multiple types of Mobs
    - Guilds
    - A Mail System
    - Trading/Shops
    - Skills both active and passive
    - and more.
    I know I have had many failed attempts at different games but here I am giving it one last attempt and if I succeed then awesome... I hope you guys will come along with me on the Journey if for no other reason then to get a good laugh out of my potential failure. This Thursday I will be posting a Video of the preview build which will be released on Friday and I'll be sure to post a link here to the video. For the very latest you can join the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/riseofheroesmmo/

I have not giving up on Rise of Heroes yet and don't plan on it. I wasn't ready to release any sort of update last week and more then likely it will be a few weeks until I am ready. I was planning on having the first few releases be with self hosted servers but I really want to wait until I am able to host the server my self before I release a playable client. 
    I now have a Discord - https://discord.gg/ftkhmvp
    I won't be posting here much I'd rather just focus on the game instead of responding to different people. But I will post when I have updates. 

Now stop trying to compare yourself to the triple A industry, stop trying to play the victim card, and just answer a simple question, what happened to all these projects you have been going around announcing? I mean, if I'm wrong, then, just what happened to them?

Also, to make this clear, I don't have any problem with you trying to develop a video game, please, go ahead, it's your life dude, however, I do have a problem when you go around making misleading announcements to the Internet, because it can end up involving a hell of a lot of people in a really negative way, as you have proven it can with Greed Monger.

Edited: God damn the formatting on this god damn forum is just awful.

Slapshot1188Kyleran
    @Myobi no mate. Was just wondering if the anger is due to personal loss or not. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited June 2019
    @JamesP this is just a personal advice from a random dude on the internet. So take it or leave it. 

Own. Your. Shit. 

If you do, you'll become immune to such criticisms. And people appreciate taking responsibility a long way. If you don't, well, good luck. 
    Kyleran

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    @JamesP this is just a personal advice from a random dude on the internet. So take it or leave it. 

Own. Your. Shit. 

If you do, you'll become immune to such criticisms. And people appreciate taking responsibility a long way. If you don't, well, good luck. 
    Random dude pro tip.  Blizzard rarely announces a new project until quite sure it can and will be delivered. 

You would benefit greatly from a similar approach,  build it first, then share progress. 

Also, I'm assuming there are industry game developer sites which would be better served for you to share development ideas and get opinions about your efforts. 

This is not the venue for such unless you really are trying to generate CF hype, which so far isn't working well for you.
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited June 2019
    @Myobi no mate. Was just wondering if the anger is due to personal loss or not. 

I'm not angered by it, I understand it might come off that way due how I express myself, but I can assure you that that's not the case, if anything, maybe annoyance, because I’ve seen in multiple occasions what this sort of shit may lead into, plus, he could have actually made something real by now, if he was honest with himself, and humble, instead of going around with these delusions of grandeur, he could actually pull a simple and fairly fun indie game, he has the time, the interest and to a certain degree, the dedication to it, however he is stuck on this silly loop, refusing to acknowledge his own limitations  and completely ignoring common sense.

ConstantineMerus
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe show this to close friends and family members, but it's not yet ready for prime time.
    KyleranConstantineMerus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited June 2019
    Work done today:

- New Input System
    - Hybrid Targeting System
    - Target Status UI designed (Functionality still to come)
    - Camp Fire UI designed
    - Created a BaseRarity ScriptableObject  
    - Added Rarity to items

KyleranMyobi

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Well at least you focused on the campfire design... that was one of my main concerns.

KyleranCryomatrix