Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The $35,000+ Apple Mac Pro

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Apple Engineer: How much $$$$$$$ worth of tech should we allow potential buyers to spec this thing out with?

Apple corporate: Yes

Microsoft: still holding Apple's beer

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited June 2019
    Does that include the new Apple monitor stand that costs $1,000.00 for a monitor that doesn't come with a stand?
    https://data.junkee.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/pro-stand.jpg
    gervaise1
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Please no one tell my kids this exists.
    KyleranrojoArcueid

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Board meeting full of people who made so much they lost all concept of the value of money:

"So how much you recon we can sell these stands for?"
    "About 2 lunches sounds right. People must be able to afford it."
    *Sums the check of his last two lunches*
    "So... about a thousand dollars?"
    "Yeah - nice."
    Ozmodan
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Just goes to show that the saying about Mac's is true, half the power at twice the price, i think Apples main focus these days is really mobile devices, the Desktops/Laptops are more of an 'afterthought' that they stopped investing resources into years ago, the times when you could really consider Mac's for gaming purposes, or even CAD by the sound of things are long in the past. :/
    Foreverdream[Deleted User]
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Phry said:
    Just goes to show that the saying about Mac's is true, half the power at twice the price, i think Apples main focus these days is really mobile devices, the Desktops/Laptops are more of an 'afterthought' that they stopped investing resources into years ago, the times when you could really consider Mac's for gaming purposes, or even CAD by the sound of things are long in the past. :/
    They are going after the video/film/photo editing/3d rendering industry.  They always have, it never really was a consumer made product except way back when they wanted to compete with Microsoft.  It's built for professionals and students in semi rich life styles.
    KyleranOctagon7711Sovrath
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    They are going after the video/film/photo editing/3d rendering industry.  They always have, it never really was a consumer made product except way back when they wanted to compete with Microsoft.  It's built for professionals and students in semi rich life styles.
    This. I don't normally defend Apple and pricing at all, but they definitely aren't going after the hobby / every day consumer market with this. 

They are comparing the monitor to reference monitors, which if that is the case, at that resolution is a fraction of the cost of quite a bit of the market. 

The stand being 1k though, is definitely not necessary. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I heard the stand is actually an iPhone 11X
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Amathe said:
    Please no one tell my kids this exists.
    Just say no, followed by a surprise Judo chop! Works every time.  :o

Gut Out!
    tinoberserkKyleranrojoArcueidAmatheCryomatrix[Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    That may have been the case in the past, but Mac's are pretty much outdated, you can get same or better performance for less $$ not that systems built for video editing etc. are all that cheap to begin with. ;)
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    So how much is the cheese grater? 5k or more.
    JeffSpicoli

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I can pay thousands of dollars to then finagle with making Apple's environment play nice with non-Apple applications?  What a deal! ;)

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Overpriced Apple old G4 design of old.

No thank you.
    alkarionlog
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So how much is the cheese grater? 5k or more.
    Right, thats the first thing i thought when i saw it 

Taco Tuesday just got a whole lot more interesting

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited June 2019
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    That may have been the case in the past, but Mac's are pretty much outdated, you can get same or better performance for less $$ not that systems built for video editing etc. are all that cheap to begin with. ;)
    I second this. As a person who floats around these circles these days... no TF they're not targeting xyz industry. Apple is targeting wealthy posers as per what they've been doing for several years now in the desktop/laptop market.

The whole "video/film/photo editing/3D rendering" industry, excuse died long ago.

Guys care about rendering times, live previews, zoom speed, high DPI project performance, and color accuracy. Apple does not have the market cornered in any aspect as it pertains to performance.

Apples strong points were the small learning curve +reliable OS, and pleasing minimalist aesthetics. Once they went full Hammacher Schlemmer/Rob Report on the very people who gave the brand it's "coolness" their usefulness vanished. Function over form was back in play.

Even Huawei was starting to kick Apples ass on the mobile hardware quality/price front until Agent Orange went all tertiary syphilis with the trade/tariff wars.
    CryomatrixEponyxDamor[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2019
    But can you game on it? (((snickers)))
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Catibrie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    I second this. As a person who floats around these circles these days... no TF they're not targeting xyz industry. Apple is targeting wealthy posers as per what they've been doing for several years now in the desktop/laptop market.

The whole "video/film/photo editing/3D rendering" industry, excuse died long ago.

Guys care about rendering times, live previews, zoom speed, high DPI project performance, and color accuracy. Apple does not have the market cornered in any aspect as it pertains to performance.

Apples strong points were the small learning curve +reliable OS, and pleasing minimalist aesthetics. Once they went full Hammacher Schlemmer/Rob Report on the very people who gave the brand it's "coolness" their usefulness vanished. Function over form was back in play.

Even Huawei was starting to kick Apples ass on the mobile hardware quality/price front until Agent Orange went all tertiary syphilis with the trade/tariff wars.
    Tertiary syphilis? I understand why people don't like the guy, but in all seriousness, China's been duping the U.S. for decades in trade deals, so please, keep your CNN rhetoric to yourself.
    Your statement, by virtue of your generalization of the relationship, is patently false:

"Today, the US-China trade relationship actually supports roughly 2.6 million jobs in the United States across a range of industries, including jobs that Chinese companies have created in America. And as the Chinese middle class continues its rapid expansion over the next decade (the number of Chinese middle-class consumers will exceed the entire population of the United States by 2026), US companies face significant opportunities to tap into a new and lucrative customer base that can further boost employment and economic growth. Economic data show that nations trading closely with China outperform nations with less integrated trade ties, and we expect this trend to continue."

https://www.uschina.org/reports/understanding-us-china-trade-relationship
    gervaise1

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I am gonna buy 3, looks like good value for money....

Also, lets not do the politics thing again and get this closed.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Octagon7711
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

KyleranrojoArcueidOctagon7711CryomatrixQuizzicalMadFrenchie[Deleted User][Deleted User]Ozmodan
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:

Tertiary syphilis? I understand why people don't like the guy, but in all seriousness, China's been duping the U.S. for decades in trade deals, so please, keep your CNN rhetoric to yourself.
    There's no CNN rhetoric you f@#$ing clown. It pertained to Apple and the mobile industry and their standing. Your rear end CLEARLY was damaged by the remark (which wasn't directed at you) enough to retort with the MOST generic stale overused crutch response. Sounds like a YOU problem.

Feel free to bring ALL that energy to my inbox though.
    Ozmodangervaise1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019
    To no one's real surprise threads which even whiff of politics get closed.

Any chance you folks can take it out back so we can continue to mock Apple, Macs and rich posers?

;)
    cmacqOctagon7711[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    There are companies that will never use anything aside from Macs in Video Editing, Sound Design, and Graphic Design. For 3D, Macs are useless and always have been. $15k is not much when you consider it will be used for 5~10 years and the employee typically costs $75k+ per year.
    The monitor is nice, but costs twice as much as other companies selling the same panel. The processor is just a poor choice all around. A 300w cpu is not an accomplishment when it's competitive with a cheaper cpu that puts out less heat.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I belive I could build 3 top high grades pcs and still have some money for games, plus drinks.

only question I want a answer is who will be the dung who will pay for such, no serious, anyone who buy such thing need his picture on a site called, idiots of humanity (possible next winners of darwin awards)
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:

So it's totally OK if the US do that to everyone, but if china does it... god save us all? double standards are bad no matter where they come from.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]gervaise1

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Kyleran said:
    To no one's real surprise threads which even whiff of politics get closed.

Any chance you folks can take it out back so we can continue to mock Apple, Macs and rich posers?

;)
    yes please. That's more fun.
    Phrygervaise1

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Please, just stop. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon