Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mad World MMO Devs Thinking About a Crowdfunding Campaign. Are You In? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageMad World MMO Devs Thinking About a Crowdfunding Campaign. Are You In? - MMORPG.com

The Mad World MMO team has posted an interesting poll on Twitter asking its community if they would be behind a crowdfunding program "to make Mad World better". With four days left, the vote tally is somewhat low, but the overwhelming majority of those who have voted are behind such an initiative.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Love the art style, reminds me of Darkest Dungeon and Don't Starve. Why haven;t i heard of this game before.
    IlayaTacticalZombeh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    No
    JeffSpicolialkarionlogScot[Deleted User]PhryjimmywolfAgent_Joseph

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Love the art style, reminds me of Darkest Dungeon and Don't Starve. Why haven;t i heard of this game before.

Here you go:

https://www.mmorpg.com/mad-world-mmo
    JeffSpicoli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818

Kyleran said:

No

I have not been the only one on here concerned about what will happen if CF as part of a games revenue strategy starts to be seen as a poor bet or even a scam. This is what we predicted, once burnt players will pull back from any new schemes regardless of their merit. It may be that CF in gaming is going to be transitory until it gets such a bad name it is not viable, I hope that does not happen.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Phry
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    not backing another game EVER simple as that, If they cant get the backing then i am afraid that the idea was probably shit to start with
    Kyleran[Deleted User]PhryjimmywolfSarla
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I'm not willing to crowdfund going forward. Unfortunately game publishers are not willing to finance the games I am interested in but indies have not been able to provide results (imho) either. I've learned I have to accept what is available or find a new hobby.
    KyleranTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]PhryjimmywolfSarla
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Looks like they created the game then thought "how can we make more money from our already finished game? Crowdfunding!". "Better" can mean improving a single image or sound file so how about some details on what they mean by "better".

Also I think the spirit of CF for games is now pretty much dead because of all the greedy scammer devs. When I see a CF game now I approach it with the same level of caution as going into a restroom at a public park.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Phry
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Nope. Crowdfunding has brought us some great things, but has too few success stories. And I certainly don't trust the developers of a broswer MMO to be one of them.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    No.  They can work for their money up front, not beg for it.  I've learned the hard way what developers do with crowdfunding money for MMO's.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    when has crowd funding not been a scam lol
  • whoywhoy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Never did and never will.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    If the dev's won't back it with their own money and time, why would I want to lol. How about this if your making a game your development team "crowd fund it" by all working for free and profit sharing when it releases?
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    NO!
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • rudolfrealrudolfreal Member UncommonPosts: 26
    crowdfunding is the scam to all players. There is no transparent how they are going to use the money, if they are going to pay themselves with our funds. If they really need money and have a good idea of the game, go find some investors.
  • couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114
    game has already had numerous testing phases and is quite polished. they also developed Metin 2. I think CF is just for quicker polishing.
    MightyUnclean[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    game has already had numerous testing phases and is quite polished. they also developed Metin 2. I think CF is just for quicker polishing.
    We're never going to learn, are we?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Nope! Never again, or at least not until developers are held legally accountable to the people who are essentially giving them an interest free loan with no collateral. 

Also I've found that ~95% of the time, a game that can't get funded through traditional means probably sucks and won't deliver on half the promises its developer makes. 
    ScotjimmywolfKyleran

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Nope! Never again, or at least not until developers are held legally accountable to the people who are essentially giving them an interest free loan with no collateral. 

Also I've found that ~95% of the time, a game that can't get funded through traditional means probably sucks and won't deliver on half the promises its developer makes. 
    It may be that investors are more game savvy than we players would like to think they are?
    Kyleran
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    doubt that, i think it more when asked how long till i see a return on  my investment and they respond with " maybe 2 years but probably 5+ " they walk away. were when their selling it to us we see a estimated release date 2 year or less on KS page and assume their telling the truth.
    [Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2019
    That's called being saavy....investment is all about risk vs return, and how quick the return is.

As CU and SC have rolled past the six plus year mark with no end in sight while far overspending their original budgets, who thinks they were good investments? 

Without the backing of players willing to give free money for indefinite periods of time few of these CF MMOs make any  sort of business sense.

Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Crowdfunding campaign so late in development and only days before release is nothing but money grab campaign. Release the game, establish player base and then you will have plenty of fanbois who will throw money at you providing your game is a good one. And only that is fair! All else is a scam.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.