Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Phase of New World Alpha Testing Ends, Devs Share Feedback - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFirst Phase of New World Alpha Testing Ends, Devs Share Feedback - MMORPG.com

The New World alpha has ended after completing its first phase of testing. Amazon developers thanked players for their feedback and said that it like what it saw "though the eyes of thousands of talented and committed gamers" over the testing phase. With the alpha offline, developers will now be adding new content and features based on player feedback before opening another round of testing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    For how long the Alpha was running.. I think those numbers are extraordinarily low.
    AlomarsakinolwingoodTacticalZombehretiredmjgastovski1

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2019
    For how long the Alpha was running.. I think those numbers are extraordinarily low.
    I think it was a pretty small pool of testers all in all but I sort of thought the same thing.
    HatefullwingoodSabrac

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    edited June 2019

you have numbers to the amount of testers?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Hopefully their next iteration features new combat. The systems in the game are fun enough but holy cow the combat sucks. If they don't want to be called a survival game they should probably ditch the survival combat.
    MikehaOctagon7711killerqueerHatefullwingoodretiredmjRaapnaap
    edited June 2019
    SBFord said:
    I think it was a pretty small pool of testers all in all but I sort of thought the same thing.
    Everyone and their Mamma seemed to have gotten an invite.  I even got invited and never applied...
    I just refused to install it because of the crazy NDA stuff.
    Now how many actually tested all this time.... no idea.
    retiredmjGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    the servers were empty after 2 weeks...
    SlyLoKinfomatz
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Us East had 1200+ of 1500 players on usually. When they announced they were stopping the alpha it dwindled.

Looking forward to any changes they will make during this downtime.
    SBFordHatefull
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I got an email today thanking me for testing but I dont really remember getting an email with an invite to test. Maybe it got lost in my spam.
    Huntrezz[Deleted User]gastovski1
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

SBFord said:

I couldn't say whether those numbers are low..what are we comparing them to?
    I can say that not everyone that played was PVPing all the time or at all. That would affect those numbers. Also, each wipe resource gains were tweaked and a good chunk of the beginning was a race for mats to claim territory and build up - not a ton of pvp during those times. There were whole companies and alliances that didn't pvp.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't like the common phrase "based on feedback".
    Did they ask for feedback when they began with their decisions and WHOM are they listening to,not everyone shares the same ideals.There is just so much wrong making a statement like that it often just looks like PR gibberish.

You have to have a known plan for your development cycle,what is needed in the game engine to make those ideas work.
    As witnessed by thousands and thousands of forum threads/posts,people vary on likes and dislikes by such a huge factor,it is nearly exponential,so to say based on feedback is just almost meaningless.
    So let's say as much as even 50% all want or enjoy an ARPG type game atmosphere,then the other half want immersion,a more realistic rpg setting,so how could they possibly cater to one or the other without completely turning off the other half?

Point is they need to make THEIR game,whatever ideals they have and only use testing as a measuring stick to see how the numbers crunch in practical use.
    My feeling having gamed a long time is that the average user is very superficial in their game play,they do not try and decipher anything that is going on.Instead what the typical gamer does is to simply figure out HOW TO WIN,how to get ahead as fast as possible but never caring weather any of it matters or the importance of the entire design towards ALL players and not just themselves.
    Point being that MOST gamer's look at perspectives in game design selfishly for themselves and NOT for the greater good of the entire game design.So another point is ,DO NOT listen to random gamer's playing the game,you will not get any positive GAME design feedback,you will only get selfish reasoning.

My hunch is they already know this but in typical fashion just use the FEEDBACK speech because it makes for good PR.

BruceYeeretiredmjMendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

SBFord said:

I can say that not everyone that played was PVPing all the time or at all. That would affect those numbers. Also, each wipe resource gains were tweaked and a good chunk of the beginning was a race for mats to claim territory and build up - not a ton of pvp during those times. There were whole companies and alliances that didn't pvp.
    It was Amazon that posted the numbers as though we should be excited by them.  So I'd say it would be up to them to explain why we should be excited.  When I see 91k PvP deaths and 150K PvE deaths in 8-9 months... that is not impressive.

I personally died 45 times in PvP tonight in ESO :) 
    [Deleted User]LaviotaGdemami

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137
    We can only hope things get moving faster...

• wkstarwkstar Member UncommonPosts: 3
    There were two servers, When I was playing & never saw a player count above 150
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited June 2019

SlyLoK said:

Us East had 1200+ of 1500 players on usually. When they announced they were stopping the alpha it dwindled.

SlyLoK said:

No. That was ONLY for the last phase. Player caps and average players online was much much lower in the previous phases. Subtract roughly 1k players on average for the majority of the test phases.

wkstar said:

What I am seeing here is no one knows. Can any of you reference anything approaching a fact as it pertains to numbers of testers? Without breaking the NDA of course.

[mod edit]

Anyway I really like the time period this game is trying to portray but the one thing people seem to agree on is the horrible combat. I hope they fix that so I can take a look. Until then, it's just not worth it.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    boris20

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Hatefull said:

SlyLoK said:

SlyLoK said:

No. That was ONLY for the last phase. Player caps and average players online was much much lower in the previous phases. Subtract roughly 1k players on average for the majority of the test phases.

wkstar said:

What I am seeing here is no one knows. Can any of you reference anything approaching a fact as it pertains to numbers of testers? Without breaking the NDA of course.

And then Wizardy being a moron.

Anyway I really like the time period this game is trying to portray but the one thing people seem to agree on is the horrible combat. I hope they fix that so I can take a look. Until then, it's just not worth it.
    I started back in October. Player numbers varied throughout testing but I would say the concurrent average was about 200 from December on... If your trying to gauge the size of the playerbase that achieved those numbers. Not sure if I can share much more than that.
    Thanks, I don't want anyone getting the ban hammer, just curious.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This line...
    "We started to learn along with them what was working and what wasn't"
    They collect salaries to know what's what yet they are relying on average joe gamer #15784 to teach them what they should already know?
    Remember the competitive teams playing Breakaway on the battleship? They cared so much about what "gamers" said they cancelled their game that they'd worked on for years. I would've liked to try Breakaway and who really knows how well it would've done but they relied on the word of a select few "gamers". When you look at what they had to lose by just releasing it the ONLY thing was negative reviews/feedback seeing as they have their own hosting and unlimited wealth. After years of developing that game they were unwilling to make necessary changes and I have no hope that this game will be any different from all I've read. I'm expecting them to throw their hands in the air again and just quit cause Breakaway was a factually provable example of them being quitters and simply IMO afraid of failure.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

SBFord said:

It was Amazon that posted the numbers as though we should be excited by them.  So I'd say it would be up to them to explain why we should be excited.  When I see 91k PvP deaths and 150K PvE deaths in 8-9 months... that is not impressive.

I personally died 45 times in PvP tonight in ESO :) 
    Well yeah, but most gamers don't suck quite so much, so there is that.....

;)
    KumaponConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    They sent out MANY invites. Also, the first round of tester numbers dropped off so low they had to send another batch to people who didn't know any better to get the numbers back up.

It started with 2 servers. West/East. They started funneling ALL players West then eventually East. It's only until the most recent patch that they upped the server limit to 1500 and had that stress test promotion/update promo where the numbers hit over 1000. After that people got hip all over again and the numbers dwindled back down.

They'll need quite the wrecking ball and cleanup crew to get the title to be more than anything the Ark/Atlas/DayZ/H1Z1/Rust/Conan Online scene hasn't saw already.

I don't think the MMORPG crowd will be too fond of The New World unless they add a bunch more dressing to the survival aspect... and the combat is still bogus as hell. If anyone dares bring up Dark Souls comparisons, smack their mouth before the "Souls" part comes out.
    Kyleran
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Feedback is necessary though. Sure they get biased feedback but there are methods to structure surveys etc to try focus more on receiving information about whether something works or not and why.

I wasn't testing though, I have no idea how they collected feedback. Just using a forum for example would be a terrible way, you'd really need to be asking every player directly to get a comprehensive overview.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    Aenghas said:
    Feedback is necessary though. Sure they get biased feedback but there are methods to structure surveys etc to try focus more on receiving information about whether something works or not and why.

I wasn't testing though, I have no idea how they collected feedback. Just using a forum for example would be a terrible way, you'd really need to be asking every player directly to get a comprehensive overview.
    They had questionnaires that would fire up every single time you close the client. Mostly "On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate [insert feature]? or "Have you played these games?" and "How could be improve this feature?"

They're absolutely collecting data, just not sure about what base they're targeting and whose feedback they actually value (MMORPG or Survival). At this point I'd say if you're a RUST/Atlas player, get your butt into the next round and send your feedback. If they're skewing in that direction they have a decent starting point to create your dream survival game. Where they left off was not impressive at all even as a survival game.

I thought it was going to be an old world/occult themed open world, sandpark MMORPG with overarching story, PVE, PVP, and survival elements. It's not that, and I don't think it's meant to be unless something drastic changes

I don't know how in the hell they plan on making it entertaining for Twitch though. It's currently a paint drying simulator and combat isn't even remotely dynamic enough where large scale battles can make up for it.
    Aenghasmoguy1Kyleran
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    That bear is pissed those idiot adventures woke him up.
    Hatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    This title is DOA with all the better survival games on the market. The only thing going for it was the time period. They did have a lengthy survey for feedback when you logged out of the game but who knows how many just hit exit and ignored it. I can already see the multiple threads popping up with numerous complaints when they launch because they are trying to cater to two different crowds of gamers here and do neither of them remotely well. Based on what I seen it wouldn't shock me if this project ends up never releasing like the other amazon studio games. I do not think amazon wants to tarnish their first release with this imo.
  • kjellemannkjellemann Member UncommonPosts: 13

That tells you how much you have to grind to get them, trust me a lot.

The Secret World

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    the test pool was about 1500 players the game needs alot of work

so say we all

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135

Aenghas said:

They had questionnaires that would fire up every single time you close the client. Mostly "On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate [insert feature]? or "Have you played these games?" and "How could be improve this feature?"

They're absolutely collecting data, just not sure about what base they're targeting and whose feedback they actually value (MMORPG or Survival). At this point I'd say if you're a RUST/Atlas player, get your butt into the next round and send your feedback. If they're skewing in that direction they have a decent starting point to create your dream survival game. Where they left off was not impressive at all even as a survival game.

I thought it was going to be an old world/occult themed open world, sandpark MMORPG with overarching story, PVE, PVP, and survival elements. It's not that, and I don't think it's meant to be unless something drastic changes

I don't know how in the hell they plan on making it entertaining for Twitch though. It's currently a paint drying simulator and combat isn't even remotely dynamic enough where large scale battles can make up for it.

I was in the first round of testing and I could not keep focused on the game. It felt very lack luster. And I felt exactly as you stated here 100 %.